Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Thinking of buying a new Mac-book pro 13" or 14" 13:14 - Oct 24 with 1812 viewsRyorry

Any advice please? Main difference between the two seems to be 256GB SSD Storage vs 512GB. My biggest storage items are probably around 2K photos & shedloadsa now redundant downloaded documents.

Very pricey, but don't want to go back to Windows now I've got used to Mac, and this current Airbook has proved extremely reliable, bought 2013 & has had 7 years' hard use, but has become a bit slow (some may remember my previous thread c. 1 month ago) & could hear fan struggling noisily this morning after 20 mins use (noise disappeared after re-starting).

Edit: use largely for email, storing photos, social media, some live streaming of events, online shopping. Don't do gaming

Tia if you can assist 👍

[Post edited 24 Oct 2021 13:17]

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Thinking of buying a new Mac-book pro 13" or 14" on 13:20 - Oct 24 with 1267 viewsRadioOrwell

I got a 13" MBP M1 with 16g RAM and 250g storage.
Main reason is extra ssd storage is cheap / easy.
Can't add RAM.

M1 chip is ridiculously good.
Thinking of buying a new Mac-book pro 13" or 14" on 11:13 - Oct 25 with 1173 viewsRyorry

Thinking of buying a new Mac-book pro 13" or 14" on 11:16 - Oct 25 with 1168 viewswkj

If you have a resonable connection, cloud storage can mitigate the need for local storage, and provide backups to failure and other tools. Obviously this can have a cost too, but it is worth considering.

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Thinking of buying a new Mac-book pro 13" or 14" on 11:20 - Oct 25 with 1153 viewsBellevueblue

Thought about going to Linux? You can get a few distributions that look & feel like mac but without the hefty cost ( https://elementary.io/ for example)

Saves spaffing thousands up the wall when hundreds will do
Thinking of buying a new Mac-book pro 13" or 14" on 11:25 - Oct 25 with 1134 viewsgiant_stow

I asked a similar thing a couple of years back and someone clever suggested John Lewis for new, but out of date models. I bought one for mrs ullaa about 300 cheaper than the newest model at the time, so worth checking them out. I think you can buy on tick as well.

If you just need the space to store photos, Microsft or Google both do pretty cheap cloud storage or you could buy an external hard disk just for that and buy the cheaper macbook?

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Thinking of buying a new Mac-book pro 13" or 14" on 11:28 - Oct 25 with 1130 viewsMookamoo

Take a look at when John Lewis are getting the M1 chip stock in. They tend to match the Apple price but give a 2 year warranty rather that the 1 year you get from Apple. You can also buy it on their Credit Card and get some vouchers. Helps claw back some money.
Thinking of buying a new Mac-book pro 13" or 14" on 11:31 - Oct 25 with 1119 viewsRyorry

Thinking of buying a new Mac-book pro 13" or 14" on 11:20 - Oct 25 by Bellevueblue

Thought about going to Linux? You can get a few distributions that look & feel like mac but without the hefty cost ( https://elementary.io/ for example)

Saves spaffing thousands up the wall when hundreds will do

Thanks - only thing there is that I'm a bit of a technophobe - septuagenarian who didn't grow up with all this digital stuff - wouldn't Linux mean having to get used to a whole new system?

And what's the support like? With Mac I've only ever had to ring up to get instant advice/help with them walking me through sorting problems out, occasionally accessing my Mac remotely if need be.

Thinking of buying a new Mac-book pro 13" or 14" on 11:43 - Oct 25 with 1103 viewsDanTheMan

Thinking of buying a new Mac-book pro 13" or 14" on 11:31 - Oct 25 by Ryorry

Thanks - only thing there is that I'm a bit of a technophobe - septuagenarian who didn't grow up with all this digital stuff - wouldn't Linux mean having to get used to a whole new system?

And what's the support like? With Mac I've only ever had to ring up to get instant advice/help with them walking me through sorting problems out, occasionally accessing my Mac remotely if need be.

As much as I'd love to see lots of people using Linux, it is really not set up to be used by anyone except tech people, especially when things go a bit wrong.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Login to get fewer ads

Thinking of buying a new Mac-book pro 13" or 14" on 11:47 - Oct 25 with 1095 viewsRyorry

Thinking of buying a new Mac-book pro 13" or 14" on 11:28 - Oct 25 by Mookamoo

Take a look at when John Lewis are getting the M1 chip stock in. They tend to match the Apple price but give a 2 year warranty rather that the 1 year you get from Apple. You can also buy it on their Credit Card and get some vouchers. Helps claw back some money.

Great idea, will have a look at when that new stock's in at theirs, thanks. Orders via Apple were possible last week, & shipping from them starts tomorrow apparently.

Had already looked at the "buy Mac now or wait" page https://www.macworld.co.uk/feature/buy-13in-macbook-pro-now-wait-3807055/
but the problem for me is that my current one is showing signs that it may give up the ghost at any time, and I don't want to be left for a week without a laptop - can't do all I need on phone or kindle fire.

Thinking of buying a new Mac-book pro 13" or 14" on 11:54 - Oct 25 with 1080 viewsSwansea_Blue

Can't fault your logic Ryorry. I'm used to Macs now and wouldn't hesitate to replace my desktops at home and work with more Macs (not that I need to - they're 9 and 10 yrs old and absolutely fly along for all browsing & office tasks). They've worked out far more cost effectively than replacing PCs more often. They'll be overkill for what you need when you buy them, but will perform like new far down the line.

I like the SSDs. I've only got hybrid drives on mine (mix of SSD/traditional) but they do say SSD makes a big difference. 256 isn't particularly large these days, but as others have said you could always use cloud storage.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Thinking of buying a new Mac-book pro 13" or 14" on 12:03 - Oct 25 with 1064 viewsDinDjarin

Thinking of buying a new Mac-book pro 13" or 14" on 11:43 - Oct 25 by DanTheMan

As much as I'd love to see lots of people using Linux, it is really not set up to be used by anyone except tech people, especially when things go a bit wrong.

MacOS is Unix anyway.

Why people still pay a premium for Macs I have no idea.

https://techreader.com/top-ten/pc-vs-mac-in-2021-which-is-better-an-honest-compa
Thinking of buying a new Mac-book pro 13" or 14" on 12:03 - Oct 25 with 1063 viewsRyorry

Thinking of buying a new Mac-book pro 13" or 14" on 11:25 - Oct 25 by giant_stow

I asked a similar thing a couple of years back and someone clever suggested John Lewis for new, but out of date models. I bought one for mrs ullaa about 300 cheaper than the newest model at the time, so worth checking them out. I think you can buy on tick as well.

If you just need the space to store photos, Microsft or Google both do pretty cheap cloud storage or you could buy an external hard disk just for that and buy the cheaper macbook?

I do have an ext HDD for backup/storage, but have found problems with that - keeps disconnecting itself. Could be due to having to use a multiple connector as one of my ports died years ago, and with remote mouse + ext keyboard which I also had to get as the inbuilt letter 'e' died last year, didn't have enough ports left. Or maybe my desk top is just uneven (it's a renovated Indian tea chest!)

Thinking of buying a new Mac-book pro 13" or 14" on 12:08 - Oct 25 with 1054 viewsElderGrizzly

Thinking of buying a new Mac-book pro 13" or 14" on 11:28 - Oct 25 by Mookamoo

This. JL is always a good place for Apple.

Apple have just announced new models, so the 'older ones' will be dropping in price very soon. Hang on a few weeks would be my suggestion.
Thinking of buying a new Mac-book pro 13" or 14" on 12:10 - Oct 25 with 1053 viewsSwansea_Blue

Thinking of buying a new Mac-book pro 13" or 14" on 12:03 - Oct 25 by DinDjarin

MacOS is Unix anyway.

https://techreader.com/top-ten/pc-vs-mac-in-2021-which-is-better-an-honest-compa

What a horrendous article.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Thinking of buying a new Mac-book pro 13" or 14" on 12:14 - Oct 25 with 1042 viewsSteve_M

Thinking of buying a new Mac-book pro 13" or 14" on 11:47 - Oct 25 by Ryorry

Great idea, will have a look at when that new stock's in at theirs, thanks. Orders via Apple were possible last week, & shipping from them starts tomorrow apparently.

Had already looked at the "buy Mac now or wait" page https://www.macworld.co.uk/feature/buy-13in-macbook-pro-now-wait-3807055/
but the problem for me is that my current one is showing signs that it may give up the ghost at any time, and I don't want to be left for a week without a laptop - can't do all I need on phone or kindle fire.

I've got a 2020 Macbook Pro which replaced a 2011 version. In fact I think there were two versions last year, the second introducing the Apple proprietary chip and the 14 inch screen, so mine was superseded within months. The difference in performance was obviously large so I wouldn't be overly concerned with getting the latest one or the new one - both will be considerably better than your current model.

One other thing to note is that all the ports will be USB-C not USB-B but there are simple adapters that one can buy (e.g. from Amazon) to do that.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Thinking of buying a new Mac-book pro 13" or 14" on 12:18 - Oct 25 with 1039 viewsDinDjarin

Thinking of buying a new Mac-book pro 13" or 14" on 12:10 - Oct 25 by Swansea_Blue

What a horrendous article.

Maybe but the point is the days of a Mac outperforming a similar priced PC are long long gone.

Which bit of the article did you disagree with?

https://www.pcworld.com/article/393718/pc-vs-mac-which-should-you-buy.html
Thinking of buying a new Mac-book pro 13" or 14" on 12:21 - Oct 25 with 1036 viewsRyorry

Thinking of buying a new Mac-book pro 13" or 14" on 12:14 - Oct 25 by Steve_M

I've got a 2020 Macbook Pro which replaced a 2011 version. In fact I think there were two versions last year, the second introducing the Apple proprietary chip and the 14 inch screen, so mine was superseded within months. The difference in performance was obviously large so I wouldn't be overly concerned with getting the latest one or the new one - both will be considerably better than your current model.

One other thing to note is that all the ports will be USB-C not USB-B but there are simple adapters that one can buy (e.g. from Amazon) to do that.

Many thanks Steve, that port thing may be simple but it's a biggie for me - as long as there are at least 3 USB-C ports I'd be OK tho, would have to buy new HDD drive & remote mouse anyway.

Thinking of buying a new Mac-book pro 13" or 14" on 12:32 - Oct 25 with 1023 viewsRyorry

Thinking of buying a new Mac-book pro 13" or 14" on 12:18 - Oct 25 by DinDjarin

Maybe but the point is the days of a Mac outperforming a similar priced PC are long long gone.

Which bit of the article did you disagree with?

https://www.pcworld.com/article/393718/pc-vs-mac-which-should-you-buy.html

Thanks but there's zero chance of me returning to a PC anyway, so please save yourself some time - no need for a 10-pager!

Thinking of buying a new Mac-book pro 13" or 14" on 12:42 - Oct 25 with 1013 viewseireblue

Thinking, even very hard, won’t make it happen. You will probably need to use some form of money, I would advise buying on line, with Apple Pay.

Is that helpful?
Thinking of buying a new Mac-book pro 13" or 14" on 12:44 - Oct 25 with 1009 viewsRyorry

Thinking of buying a new Mac-book pro 13" or 14" on 12:42 - Oct 25 by eireblue

Thinking, even very hard, won’t make it happen. You will probably need to use some form of money, I would advise buying on line, with Apple Pay.

Is that helpful?

Thinking of buying a new Mac-book pro 13" or 14" on 12:45 - Oct 25 with 1008 viewsDanTheMan

Thinking of buying a new Mac-book pro 13" or 14" on 12:03 - Oct 25 by DinDjarin

MacOS is Unix anyway.

I am aware, but I very much doubt Ryorry cares about that it is Unix or POSIX compliant!
[Post edited 25 Oct 2021 12:47]

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Thinking of buying a new Mac-book pro 13" or 14" on 13:00 - Oct 25 with 994 viewsblue62

Basically go for the best you can afford.

I have a MacBook Air 2019 for work and its been great, so reliable. Has the i5 processor. The new ones have the M1 ut only go up to a 13" but are quite a bit cheaper.
Thinking of buying a new Mac-book pro 13" or 14" on 13:05 - Oct 25 with 989 viewseireblue

Thinking of buying a new Mac-book pro 13" or 14" on 12:44 - Oct 25 by Ryorry

Hmmm, I see.

Okay maybe you were looking for more practical advice.

If you are going to carry it around a lot, check which one is lighter……unless you are trying to lose weight, then maybe get the heavier one and use the stairs more.

Has that made the decision a bit easier?
Thinking of buying a new Mac-book pro 13" or 14" on 13:16 - Oct 25 with 976 viewsGlasgowBlue

I've just pre ordered the new 16" 1TB model but I'm toying with cancelling that and dropping to a 14" model and increasing the capacity to 2TB for the same price. Th reason I need so much space is for my massive iTunes library.

I would go for the 512GB rather than 256GB. Even if you don't have a lot of files to store, the operating system will take up a large chunk of space so won't leave you much to play with.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Thinking of buying a new Mac-book pro 13" or 14" on 16:06 - Oct 25 with 880 viewsRyorry

Thinking of buying a new Mac-book pro 13" or 14" on 13:16 - Oct 25 by GlasgowBlue

I've just pre ordered the new 16" 1TB model but I'm toying with cancelling that and dropping to a 14" model and increasing the capacity to 2TB for the same price. Th reason I need so much space is for my massive iTunes library.

I would go for the 512GB rather than 256GB. Even if you don't have a lot of files to store, the operating system will take up a large chunk of space so won't leave you much to play with.

Useful to know re OS space required, thanks 👍

Bitten the bullet & added the Pro 14", M1 Pro Processor, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD to my wish list at JL + notification when in stock (looks like they may have had some available to pre-order online but now sold out on those). There do seem to be at least 2 or 3 available in each of their stores up & down the UK tho.

If anyone else is humming & haa-ing re which version, I found this useful for comparing some of the basics like screen size, dimensions, weight, memory, audio spec, battery life, ports etc. -

https://www.tomsguide.com/uk/face-off/macbook-air-vs-macbook-pro (scroll a bit for specs)

Eireblue - it's 7.4 oz heavier than my current Mac, so literally no sweat ;)

Thanks all for the great advice - TWTD is definitely the dog's bollox when it comes to tech info 👍
[Post edited 25 Oct 2021 16:13]

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024