Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
I really did think I'd heard it all from this mob.... 17:16 - Nov 25 with 1352 viewsWhos_blue

..... but this is a doozy even for them.

BBC News - Female Doctor Who robs boys of role models, claims Tory MP
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-59421259

Distortion becomes somehow pure in its wildness.

I really did think I'd heard it all from this mob.... on 17:24 - Nov 25 with 1305 viewsJ2BLUE

Holy sh1t. Constituents really should have the power to remove their MP.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

I really did think I'd heard it all from this mob.... on 17:27 - Nov 25 with 1284 viewsBlueBadger

I really did think I'd heard it all from this mob.... on 17:24 - Nov 25 by J2BLUE

Holy sh1t. Constituents really should have the power to remove their MP.

In theory, you do every five years...

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

I really did think I'd heard it all from this mob.... on 18:05 - Nov 25 with 1187 viewsMattinLondon

Maybe that MP should take a more detailed look at his own party - if he did maybe he’ll see some men who, in actual reality, are far from role models to young boys/men.
I really did think I'd heard it all from this mob.... on 18:05 - Nov 25 with 1191 viewsClapham_Junction

Best response I've seen so far:

I really did think I'd heard it all from this mob.... on 18:14 - Nov 25 with 1146 viewsGunnsAirkick

Another of the 2019 intake, what a surprise!

I think quite a few of them (including Tom Hunt) could be in for a nasty surprise next election if things carry on the way they are.
I really did think I'd heard it all from this mob.... on 18:15 - Nov 25 with 1141 viewsZXBlue

I really did think I'd heard it all from this mob.... on 18:05 - Nov 25 by Clapham_Junction

Best response I've seen so far:

Quite a lot of what he says has some merit. But there is clearly an underlying thread of weird blinkeredness and the comments about Dr Who are just odd.
I really did think I'd heard it all from this mob.... on 18:27 - Nov 25 with 1124 viewsfactual_blue

Maybe thick nick fletcher could actually try to do something that would make him a positive role model?

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

I really did think I'd heard it all from this mob.... on 18:30 - Nov 25 with 1109 viewsfooters

I really did think I'd heard it all from this mob.... on 18:27 - Nov 25 by factual_blue

Maybe thick nick fletcher could actually try to do something that would make him a positive role model?

I'm sure we all have our fingers crossed.

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Login to get fewer ads

I really did think I'd heard it all from this mob.... on 18:41 - Nov 25 with 1078 viewsjontysnut

I really did think I'd heard it all from this mob.... on 17:27 - Nov 25 by BlueBadger

In theory, you do every five years...

Unfortunately lots of voters are tribal. They'd vote for Genghis Khan if it meant keeping the opposition out.
I really did think I'd heard it all from this mob.... on 19:01 - Nov 25 with 1040 viewseireblue

I really did think I'd heard it all from this mob.... on 18:15 - Nov 25 by ZXBlue

Quite a lot of what he says has some merit. But there is clearly an underlying thread of weird blinkeredness and the comments about Dr Who are just odd.

I am not sure there is much merit in what he said.

Is there any evidence, that there are fewer positive male role models on TV and film?

Is there any evidence that young males, are not influenced by positive female characters in film and TV.

Is there any evidence that having more female positive role models, somehow turns young males criminal?

There is nothing really nuanced about his position.

I mean, can anyone remember a time when young men, tried to grow a magnificent moustache and speak with a Belgium accent at the height of David Suchet’s fame?
I really did think I'd heard it all from this mob.... on 19:11 - Nov 25 with 1007 viewsMattinLondon

I really did think I'd heard it all from this mob.... on 19:01 - Nov 25 by eireblue

Is there any evidence, that there are fewer positive male role models on TV and film?

Is there any evidence that young males, are not influenced by positive female characters in film and TV.

Is there any evidence that having more female positive role models, somehow turns young males criminal?

I mean, can anyone remember a time when young men, tried to grow a magnificent moustache and speak with a Belgium accent at the height of David Suchet’s fame?

The chap in the photo is only 21 - it’s what happens when young men look up toDavid Suchet
I really did think I'd heard it all from this mob.... on 19:17 - Nov 25 with 986 viewsZXBlue

I really did think I'd heard it all from this mob.... on 19:01 - Nov 25 by eireblue

It is plainly true that there are a lot of men and boys struggling. He said lots of things other than the bit about role models. And I thikn there probably are far fewer good role models these days. can you think of one? Balance has shifted. That is not a bad thing in itself and was due, but there is a reluctance I think, to promote men's issues, or positive male role models.

The suicide rates tell the story all too well. As do prison and drug addiction figures. Boys are now attaining less in school, less likely to go to university etc. If this were the other way round, it would rightly be called out as an issue in urgent need of being addressed.

I think that this section contains a number of kernels of important thinking, albeit unlikely to be as simple as the comments themselves suggest:

"He said there had been a "creeping narrative that males have it easy, life is a breeze and they have nothing to complain about".

But, he added: "It is clear that life is tough for many men and young boys, and many of our boys in schools are far from privileged."

He attacked the phrase "toxic masculinity" - used to describe the pressure on men to stick to traditional views of how they should act - saying it "vilified" men and led them to feeling "worthless".
I really did think I'd heard it all from this mob.... on 19:39 - Nov 25 with 924 viewseireblue

I really did think I'd heard it all from this mob.... on 19:17 - Nov 25 by ZXBlue

It is plainly true that there are a lot of men and boys struggling. He said lots of things other than the bit about role models. And I thikn there probably are far fewer good role models these days. can you think of one? Balance has shifted. That is not a bad thing in itself and was due, but there is a reluctance I think, to promote men's issues, or positive male role models.

The suicide rates tell the story all too well. As do prison and drug addiction figures. Boys are now attaining less in school, less likely to go to university etc. If this were the other way round, it would rightly be called out as an issue in urgent need of being addressed.

I think that this section contains a number of kernels of important thinking, albeit unlikely to be as simple as the comments themselves suggest:

"He said there had been a "creeping narrative that males have it easy, life is a breeze and they have nothing to complain about".

But, he added: "It is clear that life is tough for many men and young boys, and many of our boys in schools are far from privileged."

He attacked the phrase "toxic masculinity" - used to describe the pressure on men to stick to traditional views of how they should act - saying it "vilified" men and led them to feeling "worthless".

Yes. Agreed.

And a lot of that is in the gift of a responsible government to address.

Not sure it should be the responsibility of fiction writers and casting directors to help with educational attainment rates.

It is a typical Tory move of quick look over there.

Even in his “nuanced” statement, he asserts, but doesn’t demonstrate with any proof that there are any fewer positive male role models in TV and film.

Marcus Rashford, Lewis Hamilton. Two positive role models in public life.

Lots of people seem to like Ed Sheeran.

In films, most of the super hero Marvel Characters are male.

Mind you, I quite liked Freddy Kruger, and I turned out okay.
[Post edited 25 Nov 2021 19:40]
I really did think I'd heard it all from this mob.... on 19:43 - Nov 25 with 900 viewsZXBlue

I really did think I'd heard it all from this mob.... on 19:39 - Nov 25 by eireblue

Yes. Agreed.

Not sure it should be the responsibility of fiction writers and casting directors to help with educational attainment rates.

Even in his “nuanced” statement, he asserts, but doesn’t demonstrate with any proof that there are any fewer positive male role models in TV and film.

If marvel films are providing role models, I despair!
I really did think I'd heard it all from this mob.... on 19:48 - Nov 25 with 884 viewseireblue

I really did think I'd heard it all from this mob.... on 19:43 - Nov 25 by ZXBlue

He probably wants ITV to create a show called Hathaway with Lozza Fox.
I really did think I'd heard it all from this mob.... on 20:26 - Nov 25 with 823 viewsfactual_blue

I really did think I'd heard it all from this mob.... on 19:39 - Nov 25 by eireblue

Yes. Agreed.

'and I turned out okay.'

Hmmm.....

#thejury'soutonthatone

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

I really did think I'd heard it all from this mob.... on 20:36 - Nov 25 with 796 viewsjeera

I really did think I'd heard it all from this mob.... on 19:43 - Nov 25 by ZXBlue

Bit harsh.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

I really did think I'd heard it all from this mob.... on 21:00 - Nov 25 with 757 viewsNthQldITFC

All I will say on the matter is that Nick Fletcher appears to be an anagram of French Tickle, and if he tried a bit of that he might be less uptight.

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024