Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Today is Holocaust Memorial Day 07:29 - Jan 27 with 2211 viewsGlasgowBlue

Never forget and never again.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Today is Holocaust Memorial Day on 08:59 - Jan 27 with 1679 viewsSteve_M

https://www.het.org.uk/news-and-events/blog/entry/holocaust-memorial-day-2015-hu

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Today is Holocaust Memorial Day on 09:14 - Jan 27 with 1664 viewsBlueBadger

Today is Holocaust Memorial Day on 08:59 - Jan 27 by Steve_M

https://www.het.org.uk/news-and-events/blog/entry/holocaust-memorial-day-2015-hu

Superb piece of writing.

Meanwhile, in the US:

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/books/news/maus-banned-tennesse

/edit -

Also, everybody who hasn't read 'Maus', read 'Maus'.

Everyone who's read 'Maus', read it again.
[Post edited 27 Jan 2022 9:19]

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Today is Holocaust Memorial Day on 09:35 - Jan 27 with 1623 viewsGlasgowBlue

Powerful writing.

"The dead and killers alike knew china teapots, Mozart, varieties of cheese. Family doctors, picnics, afternoon strolls. Then, one day, they cast all that aside, and began to slide towards something else. From laws, to smashed windows, to badges. From ghettos to trains, to everything else. People like you and me'.

Iron Lion Zion

Today is Holocaust Memorial Day on 09:57 - Jan 27 with 1580 viewssolomon

Powerful reading.
Today is Holocaust Memorial Day on 10:14 - Jan 27 with 1543 viewssolomon

Never forget and keep educating.
Today is Holocaust Memorial Day on 11:01 - Jan 27 with 1488 viewsSteve_M

And another link, this one is long but well worth the finding half an hour to read it:

https://www.theatlantic.com/past/docs/issues/62feb/eichmann.htm

The little details stand out again, Eichmann considering himself an honest man for paying a rabbi to teach him Hebrew rather than just arresting him and forcing him to do so. Powerful writing 60 years on from when it was written.

Today is Holocaust Memorial Day on 11:32 - Jan 27 with 1456 viewsChurchman

Thank you for posting this. A ‘must read’ as far as I’m concerned. As the German poet Heine observed in the 19c, ‘ wherever books are burned, people are burned, too, in the end’.

Robert Rinder. (Judge Rinder) made a couple of BBC programmes called ‘My Family, the Holocaust, and Me about a year ago. If you’ve not seen them, I recommend you do.
Today is Holocaust Memorial Day on 11:35 - Jan 27 with 1450 viewsArnoldMoorhen

Today is Holocaust Memorial Day on 10:14 - Jan 27 by solomon

Never forget and keep educating.

And never stop opposing Fascism in its early stages.
Login to get fewer ads

Today is Holocaust Memorial Day on 11:40 - Jan 27 with 1430 viewsKeno

Today is Holocaust Memorial Day on 11:32 - Jan 27 by Churchman

Thank you for posting this. A ‘must read’ as far as I’m concerned. As the German poet Heine observed in the 19c, ‘ wherever books are burned, people are burned, too, in the end’.

Robert Rinder. (Judge Rinder) made a couple of BBC programmes called ‘My Family, the Holocaust, and Me about a year ago. If you’ve not seen them, I recommend you do.

Jerry Springers who do you the you are is worth watching

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Today is Holocaust Memorial Day on 11:41 - Jan 27 with 1429 viewsLord_Lucan

You ever been to Auschwitz?

I've been a couple of times, very moving! If you haven't been I would suggest going in winter. I have been in winter and summer but winter makes you understand the horror more.

I'm not a fan or organised tours but you need one for this as they explain everything in great detail. One of the blokes in our party asked the guide if he gets anyone in his tours still question if it actually happened, to which he quickly replied, "No, the ones who glorify and love it are the worst".

I read today that they use the book "The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas" in schools for teaching about what went on but they are (or looking at) stopping this in case it makes you feel empathy for Germans / Nazis.

Probably another example of the world going bonkers.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Today is Holocaust Memorial Day on 11:47 - Jan 27 with 1401 viewsBlueBadger

Today is Holocaust Memorial Day on 11:01 - Jan 27 by Steve_M

And another link, this one is long but well worth the finding half an hour to read it:

https://www.theatlantic.com/past/docs/issues/62feb/eichmann.htm

The little details stand out again, Eichmann considering himself an honest man for paying a rabbi to teach him Hebrew rather than just arresting him and forcing him to do so. Powerful writing 60 years on from when it was written.

I've bookmarked that for later. Good read, Steve.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Today is Holocaust Memorial Day on 11:50 - Jan 27 with 1399 viewsSuperKieranMcKenna

Today is Holocaust Memorial Day on 11:41 - Jan 27 by Lord_Lucan

I've been a couple of times, very moving! If you haven't been I would suggest going in winter. I have been in winter and summer but winter makes you understand the horror more.

I'm not a fan or organised tours but you need one for this as they explain everything in great detail. One of the blokes in our party asked the guide if he gets anyone in his tours still question if it actually happened, to which he quickly replied, "No, the ones who glorify and love it are the worst".

I read today that they use the book "The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas" in schools for teaching about what went on but they are (or looking at) stopping this in case it makes you feel empathy for Germans / Nazis.

I visited Auschwitz a few years ago - a very surreal experience, trying to comprehend how people were capable of such horrors.

The thing that’s always stayed with me is seeing the hair and belongings of the poor souls who were sent there.

Never forget.
Today is Holocaust Memorial Day on 11:55 - Jan 27 with 1386 viewsGlasgowBlue

Yes I was there in 2017. As you say, very moving.

Iron Lion Zion

Today is Holocaust Memorial Day on 12:04 - Jan 27 with 1376 viewsFBI

I lived on a Kibbutz for a while in the '90s and seeing the old people in short sleeves which revealed their camp ID tattoos was something I'll never forget.

Poll: The career progress of former town players is...

Today is Holocaust Memorial Day on 12:26 - Jan 27 with 1319 viewsLord_Lucan

Today is Holocaust Memorial Day on 12:04 - Jan 27 by FBI

I lived on a Kibbutz for a while in the '90s and seeing the old people in short sleeves which revealed their camp ID tattoos was something I'll never forget.

What Kibbutz were you in?

I went to Hazorea and Gan Shmuel (sp) in the 80's

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.

Today is Holocaust Memorial Day on 12:38 - Jan 27 with 1294 viewsFBI

Today is Holocaust Memorial Day on 12:26 - Jan 27 by Lord_Lucan

What Kibbutz were you in?

I went to Hazorea and Gan Shmuel (sp) in the 80's

Afikim, just down the road from Tiberias in the Jordan Valley. Used to go picking dates in the fields overlooking the river and the Jordan border. My first time there I waved at the Jordanian border guards in their watchtower and my more experienced colloeagues all hit the deck. I learned a few Hebrew swear words fairly quickly as a consequence...

Side note: the Hebrew for 'Yes, uncle' is Ken Dod... :-D

Today is Holocaust Memorial Day on 12:51 - Jan 27 with 1265 viewsLord_Lucan

Today is Holocaust Memorial Day on 12:38 - Jan 27 by FBI

Afikim, just down the road from Tiberias in the Jordan Valley. Used to go picking dates in the fields overlooking the river and the Jordan border. My first time there I waved at the Jordanian border guards in their watchtower and my more experienced colloeagues all hit the deck. I learned a few Hebrew swear words fairly quickly as a consequence...

Side note: the Hebrew for 'Yes, uncle' is Ken Dod... :-D

I only spent a week in each as believe it or not I used to be in the aquatic trade as a younger man and import goldfish and koi carp from them. They had massive production facilities and they just started in the game. Fast forward to now and they have completely blitzed Japan and USA as the major aquatic production for coldwater ornamentals in the world and they are now making inroads on Singapores dominance for Tropicals.

What I found impressive that everything they used right down to the bags, boxes and bands were produced in the Kibbutz or another Kibbutz. They even bred and reared crocodiles - probably for handbags.

I think most of the Kibbutz production was oranges though and they had designed and made photodegradable plastic bags which from memory they tied round parts of the tree to help growth - I think it was a revolutionary design - or so they told me.

All very interesting, very brainy people. They used to visit UK a couple of times a year and one of the older guys spent all his time eating bacon sandwiches.

Today is Holocaust Memorial Day on 12:59 - Jan 27 with 1256 viewsFBI

Today is Holocaust Memorial Day on 12:51 - Jan 27 by Lord_Lucan

I only spent a week in each as believe it or not I used to be in the aquatic trade as a younger man and import goldfish and koi carp from them. They had massive production facilities and they just started in the game. Fast forward to now and they have completely blitzed Japan and USA as the major aquatic production for coldwater ornamentals in the world and they are now making inroads on Singapores dominance for Tropicals.

What I found impressive that everything they used right down to the bags, boxes and bands were produced in the Kibbutz or another Kibbutz. They even bred and reared crocodiles - probably for handbags.

I think most of the Kibbutz production was oranges though and they had designed and made photodegradable plastic bags which from memory they tied round parts of the tree to help growth - I think it was a revolutionary design - or so they told me.

All very interesting, very brainy people. They used to visit UK a couple of times a year and one of the older guys spent all his time eating bacon sandwiches.

I went to a crocodile farm - probably the same one although it's all a bit hazy now :-)

Afikim made electric vehicles and invented that infuriating hard plastic tape they put rouynd parcels that you have to cut with a Stanley knife!

Today is Holocaust Memorial Day on 13:28 - Jan 27 with 1198 viewsBloomBlue

Auschwitz, Treblinka, Belzec, Chełmno all those are incredibly moving.

A few years ago in Poland I was in Warsaw and they had various buildings open which contained personal accounts from survivors of the camps to mark the 60th anniversary of the liberation of the concentration camps.
Very emotional, many people in tears as they were reading the stories. I notice one particular guy (English guy) was really emotional as he was reading a story and as I got towards him he went down onto his knees crying, we helped him up and chatted. The story he was reading was written by a survivor recounting his friend in the camp who was 9 years old at the time.
His friend had been tasked by the Germans with helping around the camp but like everyone was starving and had some times pinched a small amounts of food from the Germans, and it really was small amounts, a few grains of rice for example. The Germans then discovered he been pinching but didn't tell his friend they knew, one morning the Germans were laughing and got his friend to do a couple of things and then asked his friend if he wanted to play football. He said yes and the Germans played football with his friend, literally with his friend, they used him as the ball kicking him in the head as if it was a ball, kicking his body around as if it was a ball while constantly laughing. They stopped eventually and told some others in the camp to take his friend to the hospital - not that it was hospital as such. His friend was alive just, the Germans the said if anyone helps him they would be shot. His friend aged 9 has left on that table with nothing, no one helping him with his pain, no water nothing he died the following day.

The English guy reading was so emotional because at home was his 9 year old son and he said as he was reading the story all he could picture was his son being that 9 year old in the camp kicked around like a football by a load of men and being laughed at simply because he had pinched a few grains of rice as he was starving and then left to die with no help from his injuries not even given any water. How could any human do that

Never forget.

Light a candle
Today is Holocaust Memorial Day on 16:24 - Jan 27 with 1098 viewsbluelagos

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Today is Holocaust Memorial Day on 16:44 - Jan 27 with 1079 viewsSteve_M

Something else from Hugo Rifkind here:

You'll need a quiet moment to read this too.

Today is Holocaust Memorial Day on 17:25 - Jan 27 with 1050 viewsbluelagos

Today is Holocaust Memorial Day on 16:44 - Jan 27 by Steve_M

There was a Holocaust survivor speaking on Jeremy Vine earlier. Brought tears to my eyes listening to her testimony.

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Today is Holocaust Memorial Day on 17:42 - Jan 27 with 1039 viewsGlasgowBlue

Today is Holocaust Memorial Day on 16:44 - Jan 27 by Steve_M

I'm sitting here lost for words after reading that.

Iron Lion Zion

Today is Holocaust Memorial Day on 17:54 - Jan 27 with 1013 viewsHARRY10

The enormity of what happened can be overwhelming.

Aside from the death camps there was the barbaric slaughter of Jews in Eastern Europe in the early 1940s. Thousands lined up in front of pits and shot. Often by those they had lived amongst.

If you do nothing else, then take time to read up/watch footage. For as long as we continue to learn we will continue to remember.

And perhaps the words 'never again' will have genuine meaning, on the other 364 days of the year as well.
Today is Holocaust Memorial Day on 18:20 - Jan 27 with 977 viewssolomon

Today is Holocaust Memorial Day on 11:35 - Jan 27 by ArnoldMoorhen

And never stop opposing Fascism in its early stages.

Absolutely.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024