Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Pigott much improved 09:24 - Mar 6 with 2612 viewsjayessess

I've thought very little of Joe Pigott's previous showings for Ipswich Town, but yesterday he was much improved I thought?

Hold-up and link play was miles better. Still not offering much goal threat but he managed to find good spaces to pick the ball up back to goal, kept it, moved it on effectively.

A useful option in the front line if he plays like that more regularly.
[Post edited 6 Mar 2022 10:36]

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Pigott much improved on 10:29 - Mar 6 with 2213 viewsbilllm

Il agree, the kid just needs a goal, I'm not always right but I think in his last two starts he's hit the post twice, also possibly done a little better with a header in the other start, people should give him a break, McKenna should give him a run,
Pigott much improved on 10:39 - Mar 6 with 2191 viewsjayessess

Pigott much improved on 10:29 - Mar 6 by billlm

Il agree, the kid just needs a goal, I'm not always right but I think in his last two starts he's hit the post twice, also possibly done a little better with a header in the other start, people should give him a break, McKenna should give him a run,

Hit the post against Burton yes, but I thought the rest of his play left a lot to be desired that day. Yesterday the ball stuck, he linked play well, it was a good contribution.

I don't think he's earned "a run", but it was a step in the right direction.

Pigott much improved on 10:41 - Mar 6 with 2186 viewsArnieM

I’d keep Pigott and Jackson and get let the other two go tbh . Get in two fresh strikers, hopefully with some pedigree….

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

Pigott much improved on 10:48 - Mar 6 with 2161 viewsmarchy

Pigott much improved on 10:39 - Mar 6 by jayessess

Hit the post against Burton yes, but I thought the rest of his play left a lot to be desired that day. Yesterday the ball stuck, he linked play well, it was a good contribution.

I don't think he's earned "a run", but it was a step in the right direction.

That's the thing, I'm not sure we can afford to carry him in the hope that he might suddenly start clicking...he definitely added more yesterday, but it still wasn't until he went off and we changed shape that we found a way through. For all his improvement he's still not scoring, nor really getting amongst the assists, and the pressure's on now. If we drop out of the running then absolutely get him bedded in for next season.
Pigott much improved on 10:51 - Mar 6 with 2143 viewsjayessess

Pigott much improved on 10:41 - Mar 6 by ArnieM

I’d keep Pigott and Jackson and get let the other two go tbh . Get in two fresh strikers, hopefully with some pedigree….

As it stands I think Jackson's almost certainly in line for a contract extension. Offers cover as a centre forward and a wide forward, working well with the new regime, half a dozen good games in what remains of our ruin in and he'll have it sown up.

Pigott... realistically, he's still done far less for us than Norwood and Bonne have this season. At the moment, what will keep him at the club over them is mainly that he isn't worth what we're paying him and it'll therefore be difficult to move him on. I can't believe that we'll want to pay £10k+ a week for a squad player if we can avoid it? Think that only changes if he has a pretty storming end to the season and suddenly he looks like our first choice number 9.
[Post edited 6 Mar 2022 10:52]

[Redacted] on 10:57 - Mar 6 with 2121 viewsvictorywilhappen

Pigott much improved on 10:41 - Mar 6 by ArnieM

[Redacted]
Pigott much improved on 17:11 - Mar 6 with 1838 viewsScuzzer

Sounds like some on here are desperate to get others to see something in the guy that quite frankly...isnt there.

Established 1968

Pigott much improved on 08:21 - Mar 7 with 1580 viewsRadlett_blue

Pigott much improved on 10:48 - Mar 6 by marchy

That's the thing, I'm not sure we can afford to carry him in the hope that he might suddenly start clicking...he definitely added more yesterday, but it still wasn't until he went off and we changed shape that we found a way through. For all his improvement he's still not scoring, nor really getting amongst the assists, and the pressure's on now. If we drop out of the running then absolutely get him bedded in for next season.

Sure, right now Town need to try to keep winning & keep the play off hopes alive. If they are gone, there is a good case for playing Pigott regularly as he's the only striker contracted to Town for next season & McKenna need to decide what sort of role he envisages for him next season. Of course, he may think he's a dud & try to move him on in the summer. The strike force is the key decision for next season as Town now seem to have a really solid defence & useful midfield, while Chaplin is a good No.10.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Login to get fewer ads

Pigott much improved on 08:26 - Mar 7 with 1567 viewsjayessess

Pigott much improved on 17:11 - Mar 6 by Scuzzer

Sounds like some on here are desperate to get others to see something in the guy that quite frankly...isnt there.

I got pilloried for saying he'd been rubbish the other day. Can't win lol.

Pigott much improved on 08:40 - Mar 7 with 1533 viewsitfcjoe

I think if you can get Celina around him, Burns pushing on and Jackson in behind his hold up play is probably the best to bring everyone in - some nice bits on Saturday and against Burton similar which allowed Jackson a lot of space.

I'd quite to see this until the end of the season and think we'd be at our must fluent with it

--------------------------------Walton------------------------------
-------Donacien---------Woolfenden----Edmundson-------
Burns---------Morsy-----EVans/Bakinson-------Thompson
-------Jackson--------------Pigott------------Celina-------------

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Pigott much improved on 08:40 - Mar 7 with 1530 viewsabracaDOBRA_

Pigott much improved on 17:11 - Mar 6 by Scuzzer

Not really, if you watched the game Saturday I think you'd see the improvement in him. There's a player in there
Pigott much improved on 09:38 - Mar 7 with 1430 viewsDarth_Koont

Agreed. Worked himself into the game and some decent positions. And would have been a fabulous goal if it was on the right side of the post.

One thing I have noticed with him at times is his willingness to hold onto the ball and take a few touches. I think that’s a good instinct but sometimes he takes just a few too many touches and the defender gets in.

I don’t know if it’s a lack of confidence but trusting himself to play a few first time lay-offs or just keep the ball moving quicker might help him. Celina looks to have found the right balance with that.

Either way, I think it’s fair to say we haven’t seen a Pigott who has found his groove. I’d like to see what he looks like then.

Pronouns: He/Him

Pigott much improved on 09:55 - Mar 7 with 1355 viewsNthQldITFC

Ideally we want our number 9 in this system to be doing that hold up and link up play AND being the one who gets on the end of stuff in the six yard box, but with the dynamic trio behind him, plus Morsy plus Burns all providing a lot of threat as well, that second part of Pigott's job is perhaps a little less important.

If he continues to do a good pivot job, bringing those others into numerous goalscoring positions, I wouldn't mind if he doesn't score again until the play-off final!

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

The highlights had 4 or 5 good Piggot moments on 09:58 - Mar 7 with 1330 viewsunstableblue

Of hold up play, passing and clever thinking

We need to stick with him and the fans need to not get on his back Tuesday, give him some support

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

Pigott much improved on 09:58 - Mar 7 with 1337 viewsSparky85

Yes agree he was much improved, and for me its about the shape that having a target no 9 brings to the team. From the Burton and Fleetwood games I just though we looked better having him in the side. It gives Kayden Jackson something to work with as well.

Just needs a goal!
The highlights had 4 or 5 good Piggot moments on 10:14 - Mar 7 with 1285 viewsSparky85

The highlights had 4 or 5 good Piggot moments on 09:58 - Mar 7 by unstableblue

Of hold up play, passing and clever thinking

We need to stick with him and the fans need to not get on his back Tuesday, give him some support

I feel a rendition of 'feed the Pig and he will score' is required tomorrow night
Pigott much improved on 10:15 - Mar 7 with 1283 viewsNthQldITFC

Pigott much improved on 09:38 - Mar 7 by Darth_Koont

Agreed. Worked himself into the game and some decent positions. And would have been a fabulous goal if it was on the right side of the post.

One thing I have noticed with him at times is his willingness to hold onto the ball and take a few touches. I think that’s a good instinct but sometimes he takes just a few too many touches and the defender gets in.

I don’t know if it’s a lack of confidence but trusting himself to play a few first time lay-offs or just keep the ball moving quicker might help him. Celina looks to have found the right balance with that.

Either way, I think it’s fair to say we haven’t seen a Pigott who has found his groove. I’d like to see what he looks like then.

'One thing I have noticed with him at times is his willingness to hold onto the ball and take a few touches. I think that’s a good instinct but sometimes he takes just a few too many touches and the defender gets in.'

I would concur. More of a fine tuning thing than a problem with his technique though, and with a few more decent performances under his belt I think he'll be a bit snappier in his distribution, and also consequently probably get away from defenders quicker, and onto the end of balls into the box.

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

Pigott much improved on 10:52 - Mar 7 with 1187 viewsRadlett_blue

Pigott much improved on 09:58 - Mar 7 by Sparky85

Yes agree he was much improved, and for me its about the shape that having a target no 9 brings to the team. From the Burton and Fleetwood games I just though we looked better having him in the side. It gives Kayden Jackson something to work with as well.

Just needs a goal!

The point that Jackson looks more effective when Pigott is in the team is well made.

Pigott much improved on 10:57 - Mar 7 with 1152 viewstextbackup

imagine he turns it on for the final 10, fires us to top 6, then gets the winner at wembley....
cor

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Pigott much improved on 11:17 - Mar 7 with 1100 viewsabracaDOBRA_

Pigott much improved on 10:57 - Mar 7 by textbackup

imagine he turns it on for the final 10, fires us to top 6, then gets the winner at wembley....
cor

Would you prefer Bonne or Pigott to get the winner at Wembley?
Pigott much improved on 11:23 - Mar 7 with 1076 views3_5_2

Holds the ball up well and stops up turning it over as much, allowing MF to support

If here was ever a striker who needs a goal to get his game going its him

Who knows, one tomorrow night and he might be the one to put some of these chances away !!!

Hindsight is always 20:20
Poll: Which system should we play?

Pigott much improved on 11:31 - Mar 7 with 1051 viewstextbackup

Pigott much improved on 11:17 - Mar 7 by abracaDOBRA_

Would you prefer Bonne or Pigott to get the winner at Wembley?

i wouldnt care if it was an own goal, as long as it was a winner for us lol

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Pigott much improved on 11:41 - Mar 7 with 1022 viewstractorshark

It’s an interesting one because, like Fraser, you’d say Pigott’s move hasn’t worked out.

But even at the start of the season, I thought he did ok. It’s just Bonne did better and that coupled with Cook’s formation and our defensive frailties at the other end, sort of made Pigott a forgotten man.

But, clearly, there is a player there and his overall career record is good. People talk about Stockton and May as replacements but are their track records particularly better than Pigott’s prior to him coming here? There’s an element of risk with them as well.

The improvement we’ve seen in Jackson is testament to McKenna’s coaching, maybe Pigott will have
a resurgence as well.

Obviously the club may decide to cut their losses if a decent bid comes in but, out of the four strikers, Norwood is the one I can see going. I think the ceiling is higher on the other three, although Bonne’s signing would depend on wages.
Pigott much improved on 11:54 - Mar 7 with 980 viewsRadlett_blue

Pigott much improved on 11:41 - Mar 7 by tractorshark

It’s an interesting one because, like Fraser, you’d say Pigott’s move hasn’t worked out.

But even at the start of the season, I thought he did ok. It’s just Bonne did better and that coupled with Cook’s formation and our defensive frailties at the other end, sort of made Pigott a forgotten man.

But, clearly, there is a player there and his overall career record is good. People talk about Stockton and May as replacements but are their track records particularly better than Pigott’s prior to him coming here? There’s an element of risk with them as well.

The improvement we’ve seen in Jackson is testament to McKenna’s coaching, maybe Pigott will have
a resurgence as well.

Obviously the club may decide to cut their losses if a decent bid comes in but, out of the four strikers, Norwood is the one I can see going. I think the ceiling is higher on the other three, although Bonne’s signing would depend on wages.

Pigott's overall career scoring record is unexceptional. We signed him on the back of a 20 goal season at Wimbledon. Things haven't gone well for him here & as you say, not entirely his fault. I personally don't buy the idea that one tap in will set him off on a scoring run & it's clearly a problem that he can't score & Bonne has dried up completely. McKenna will no doubt be thinking hard about Town's strikers for next season. Pigott is the only one under contract but if McKenna doesn't think he's up to it, then he will be hard to shift unless we pay a fair bit of his likely high wages for this league.

Pigott much improved on 12:26 - Mar 7 with 899 viewsjayessess

Pigott much improved on 11:41 - Mar 7 by tractorshark

a resurgence as well.

Like Fraser, I think as it stands we'd try to move Pigott on if we could recoup our losses. He's not on a squad player's wage, so really he's got to demonstrate he's our genuine first choice number 9 in what remains of this season.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024