Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
This took me back. 16:46 - Mar 10 with 1713 viewsCheltenham_Blue

Good old Bobby.

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

This took me back. on 16:55 - Mar 10 with 1283 viewsfarkenhell

The half time studio footage was even better. We equalized just before the break and SBR had an even bigger grin on his face. Kept talking about "we" and "us". So much for remaining unbiased!

Also, we should have had a penalty before Manure scored the winner when David Lowe was brought down. The bloody referee was the only person watching the game who thought he was fouled outside of the penalty box. Completely bottled it.
This took me back. on 17:08 - Mar 10 with 1246 viewsMattinLondon

Must have been a strange time being a Town fan. UEFA Cup winners not that long before that match and now stuck in the second tier.
This took me back. on 17:16 - Mar 10 with 1225 viewsLord_Lucan

This took me back. on 17:08 - Mar 10 by MattinLondon

Must have been a strange time being a Town fan. UEFA Cup winners not that long before that match and now stuck in the second tier.

It was a bit surreal, as a youngster Ipswich were always a top side and peaked when I was about 15 or 16. I had no reason to ever suspect we would not be challenging for the league title.

It all became a bit of a shock when we went a bit sh1te.

Off topic but Jimmy Hill was a lovely man, often saw him at the railway station after the game if he had been at PR. He would always have a cup of tea in the buffet and was quiet and polite to everyone.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

This took me back. on 17:27 - Mar 10 with 1188 viewsMattinLondon

This took me back. on 17:16 - Mar 10 by Lord_Lucan

It was a bit surreal, as a youngster Ipswich were always a top side and peaked when I was about 15 or 16. I had no reason to ever suspect we would not be challenging for the league title.

Off topic but Jimmy Hill was a lovely man, often saw him at the railway station after the game if he had been at PR. He would always have a cup of tea in the buffet and was quiet and polite to everyone.

For me, at least I’ve seen us win at Wembley, do well in the PL (ok, only one season) and be a force in the championship. For anyone under twenty, we’ve predominantly been awful.
This took me back. on 17:41 - Mar 10 with 1145 viewsGlasgowBlue

I think I'm a year or two above you.

I was lucky in the fact that our great days under Sir Bobby coincided with my school days and our decline coincided with discovering cars and birds.

From going to every home game for 8 years and being at both Cup finals, I completely missed the Fergusson/ Duncan years.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

This took me back. on 18:02 - Mar 10 with 1080 viewsFtnfwest

Missing out in 80-81 and the following years, cup semi final defeats, but when we were relegated in 1985-6 was the toughest to take. Think I’m about 6 months behind you Lucan (July 66)?
This took me back. on 18:05 - Mar 10 with 1073 viewsPendejo

This took me back. on 17:27 - Mar 10 by MattinLondon

For me, at least I’ve seen us win at Wembley, do well in the PL (ok, only one season) and be a force in the championship. For anyone under twenty, we’ve predominantly been awful.

Up to the age of 15 we had qualified for Europe every season since I started attending PR, oh and 18 consecutive seasons reaching R4 of FA Cup

Thereafter it went downhill, 17 when were relegated first timer

It's fair to say SBR did a reasonable job at PR, maybe he deserves a statue and stand naming after him.

The leaner years in between made Lyall's championship then Burley's reign so much sweeter.
[Post edited 10 Mar 2022 18:23]

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

This took me back. on 18:09 - Mar 10 with 1063 viewsCheltenham_Blue

This took me back. on 18:02 - Mar 10 by Ftnfwest

Missing out in 80-81 and the following years, cup semi final defeats, but when we were relegated in 1985-6 was the toughest to take. Think I’m about 6 months behind you Lucan (July 66)?

I started supporting Blues aged 7 in 1981, at the age that everyone started to pick their teams.
Recall that I had to have a football shirt for games at school and my Mum brought me a blue one with a white collar and the love affair with Town was established then.

Thank God it wasn't yellow.
[Post edited 10 Mar 2022 18:17]

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

Login to get fewer ads

This took me back. on 18:23 - Mar 10 with 1015 viewsFtnfwest

This took me back. on 18:09 - Mar 10 by Cheltenham_Blue

I started supporting Blues aged 7 in 1981, at the age that everyone started to pick their teams.
Recall that I had to have a football shirt for games at school and my Mum brought me a blue one with a white collar and the love affair with Town was established then.

Thank God it wasn't yellow.
[Post edited 10 Mar 2022 18:17]

Heh, well I broke the Spursyness in my family at age 6-7 to support town but not being local meant my support was tv based for the first couple of years from start of 1973 and frankly that meant it could just as easily have been Nodge. I hated their goalkeeper Kevin keelan though, and their colours of course.
This took me back. on 19:02 - Mar 10 with 968 viewsLord_Lucan

This took me back. on 18:23 - Mar 10 by Ftnfwest

Heh, well I broke the Spursyness in my family at age 6-7 to support town but not being local meant my support was tv based for the first couple of years from start of 1973 and frankly that meant it could just as easily have been Nodge. I hated their goalkeeper Kevin keelan though, and their colours of course.

My family were all over the place. My dad was Fulham and my mum was Spurs, my nan and grandad were West Ham and I used to watch West Ham when I was very young so they were my team.

I moved up to Suffolk though when I was just about still young enough to change teams so I swapped to Ipswich. I think my first game was in 1976 against Derby.

September 1965 by the way.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.

This took me back. on 19:44 - Mar 10 with 923 viewsfarkenhell

This took me back. on 19:02 - Mar 10 by Lord_Lucan

My family were all over the place. My dad was Fulham and my mum was Spurs, my nan and grandad were West Ham and I used to watch West Ham when I was very young so they were my team.

I moved up to Suffolk though when I was just about still young enough to change teams so I swapped to Ipswich. I think my first game was in 1976 against Derby.

You missed the '75 semi-final heartache then. I cried for weeks. Feckin Clive Thomas - not forgiven him since.
This took me back. on 19:47 - Mar 10 with 909 viewsfarkenhell

This took me back. on 18:23 - Mar 10 by Ftnfwest

I remember Kevin Keelan was a giant of a man. Well, compared to Laurie Sivell he was. Then again, my Nan was a giant compared to Laurie Sivell!
This took me back. on 19:58 - Mar 10 with 883 viewsLord_Lucan

This took me back. on 19:44 - Mar 10 by farkenhell

You missed the '75 semi-final heartache then. I cried for weeks. Feckin Clive Thomas - not forgiven him since.

Well technically I was batting for the other side then ****

It led to the battle of dad and son - Fulham v West Ham

****Actually I might have been on the wobble by then as my Chelmsford cousin was Ipswich and I sort of looked up to him.

He's a right tvvat now though.

This took me back. on 20:01 - Mar 10 with 876 viewsKeno

This took me back. on 19:44 - Mar 10 by farkenhell

You mistyped “fecking cheating Welsh b’stard **** ******* ****** Clive Thomas”

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

This took me back. on 20:12 - Mar 10 with 856 viewsFtnfwest

This took me back. on 19:02 - Mar 10 by Lord_Lucan

Same school year just. First game was the Leeds fa cup one in 1975.
This took me back. on 20:13 - Mar 10 with 854 viewsKeno

I was always under the impression there was a bit of mutual ill feeling between Town fans and Jimmy Hill, but never knew why

This took me back. on 20:17 - Mar 10 with 840 viewsfarkenhell

This took me back. on 20:01 - Mar 10 by Keno

You mistyped “fecking cheating Welsh b’stard **** ******* ****** Clive Thomas”

Sorry, spelling's never been my strong point!
This took me back. on 20:22 - Mar 10 with 814 viewsfarkenhell

This took me back. on 19:58 - Mar 10 by Lord_Lucan

****Actually I might have been on the wobble by then as my Chelmsford cousin was Ipswich and I sort of looked up to him.

I've never wanted a side to win a cup final (other than Ipswich of course) than Fulham that year. Not only for the semi final, but also for Bobby Moore and Alan Mullery. The Fulham goalie had a mare as I recall.
This took me back. on 20:22 - Mar 10 with 806 viewsLord_Lucan

This took me back. on 20:12 - Mar 10 by Ftnfwest

Same school year just. First game was the Leeds fa cup one in 1975.

Yes I suppose it was the same school year.

Back in the early 70's they changed the school year dates and because my birthday was on the cusp I had to do the same year at primary school twice. I started as always being the youngest in the year and ended up always being the oldest.

I went to the Leeds FA cup game in the Leeds section with my Leeds supporting uncle. He was the son of WHU nan and grandad, he was one of those people who supported the best teams. He's switched to Man U now and I wouldn't put it past him to switch again

This took me back. on 20:25 - Mar 10 with 789 viewsKeno

This took me back. on 20:17 - Mar 10 by farkenhell

Sorry, spelling's never been my strong point!

I can remember that night like it yesterday, couldn't believe how badly we had been robbed

But a least I can say I stood on the old Shed

This took me back. on 20:39 - Mar 10 with 764 viewsSeablu

This took me back. on 19:58 - Mar 10 by Lord_Lucan

That West Ham semi final sh*tfest still rankles to this very day.
I was 11 years old and inconsolable for months.
The obscene revelation that you were probably supporting West Ham that night is actually wonderfully comforting.
This took me back. on 20:40 - Mar 10 with 761 viewsLord_Lucan

This took me back. on 20:22 - Mar 10 by farkenhell

I've never wanted a side to win a cup final (other than Ipswich of course) than Fulham that year. Not only for the semi final, but also for Bobby Moore and Alan Mullery. The Fulham goalie had a mare as I recall.

The one and only Peter Mellor

This took me back. on 20:50 - Mar 10 with 741 viewsITFC_History

Great picture of these two legends in their playing pomp

This took me back. on 21:19 - Mar 10 with 702 viewsGlasgowBlue

This took me back. on 20:13 - Mar 10 by Keno

I was always under the impression there was a bit of mutual ill feeling between Town fans and Jimmy Hill, but never knew why

I think it went back to the Millwall game in 1978 when Sir Bobby said of the Millwall hooligans that we should turn on the flamethrowers and burn the bastards.

I think Jimmy Hill may have spoken out against that or misquoted SBR, although I could be wrong.

I do remember a few weeks later being sat a few rows away from Jimmy Hill at the Highbury semi final against WBA and he was getting digs abuse.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

This took me back. on 21:25 - Mar 10 with 687 viewsfarkenhell

This took me back. on 21:19 - Mar 10 by GlasgowBlue

I think it went back to the Millwall game in 1978 when Sir Bobby said of the Millwall hooligans that we should turn on the flamethrowers and burn the bastards.

I think Jimmy Hill may have spoken out against that or misquoted SBR, although I could be wrong.

I do remember a few weeks later being sat a few rows away from Jimmy Hill at the Highbury semi final against WBA and he was getting digs abuse.

You sat at the semi-final?

Posh git!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024