Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Now obviously we mostly agree Americans are not rational with guns but ... 14:00 - May 26 with 3828 viewsSTYG

Over the past few days two things have really jumped out at me from a wide variety of different articles and viewpoints from those that are pro guns and against them, US based or outside the US.

So ignoring the fact that American's seem to be blinded over this, I cannot get over the lack of logic once you take the two most repeated claims that I have seen by the pro gun lot at face value.

1) Taking away guns will not stop people being evil. They will still find a way.
2) Teachers should be armed to prevent schools being attacked.

The logical response to 1) seems to be that it will dramatically reduce these incidents though and save lives. That to me seems common sense but I get that they don't agree.

The logical response to 2) not just what about teachers that become stressed or pupils that might take guns from teachers, it's not even that most of these lunatics are carrying assault rifles and they suggest giving the teachers hand guns, but it's that the POLICE themselves did not go into the school to play hero. The people there to serve and protect did not go blazing in to save children from being shot, but teachers are supposed to? Okay then!

But let's assume you genuinely believe statement 1) and 2), as I say the two things I have seen repeated the most. If you honestly believe that teachers carrying guns will deter someone from going into a school to kill people, but you also believe that the person will find a way of doing evil if they really want to, then surely they just go elsewhere?

Which means they attack Hospitals. Where you repeat 1) and change 2) to doctors and nurses carry guns. Then that deters them so they go somewhere else and you arm the people there and so on and so on until everyone has a gun and you create more deaths from gun related issues than you'd ever possibly save by banning them!

I can't begin to understand their logic on guns (or that gun sales have apparently gone up this week!) but given so many of them seem to believe 1) and 2) how can people genuinely not see their logic through to 'so what would happen then'.

Utterly brainwashed.
Now obviously we mostly agree Americans are not rational with guns but ... on 14:07 - May 26 with 2478 viewsKeno

but, as I heard on the news, 'Guns dont kill people, people do'

so basically you give everyone funds cos they are safe .......

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Now obviously we mostly agree Americans are not rational with guns but ... on 14:09 - May 26 with 2474 viewsSTYG

Now obviously we mostly agree Americans are not rational with guns but ... on 14:07 - May 26 by Keno

Well I mean this has always been correct. Guns on their own don't kill people. They need to be operated.

But what they fail to miss out is that people with guns kill people easier than people with knives who kill people easier than people with bananas.
Now obviously we mostly agree Americans are not rational with guns but ... on 14:15 - May 26 with 2444 viewsKeno

Now obviously we mostly agree Americans are not rational with guns but ... on 14:09 - May 26 by STYG

Well I mean this has always been correct. Guns on their own don't kill people. They need to be operated.

But what they fail to miss out is that people with guns kill people easier than people with knives who kill people easier than people with bananas.

They are Americans, unless its large full of fat, stuck between to buns and covered in onions with at least 4 different foul tasting sauces they really wont get it

Now obviously we mostly agree Americans are not rational with guns but ... on 14:53 - May 26 with 2391 viewsBent_double

I'm surprised that no-one (yet) has suggested arming the kids, I mean it's the obvious thing to do if they're the ones being shot at, right?

Poll: So what do we think will happen with MM and the Aston Villa job?

Now obviously we mostly agree Americans are not rational with guns but ... on 15:11 - May 26 with 2367 viewsSimonds92

I mean, logically, point one cancels out point 2. If 'evil always finds a way' they'll just work at a school in some capacity as a teacher or assistant. The assistant would only need to take out the teacher and then could conceivably kill an entire class. It's literally insane the way they think, they are ao incredibly backwards.
You kind of want to say go on then, lets see how your absolutely insane idea works and when it makes everything a whole lot worse you take responsibility for it. But nobody ever does take that responsibility, they blame something else. Perfect example is the sh!tshow that is brexit.
Now obviously we mostly agree Americans are not rational with guns but ... on 15:42 - May 26 with 2330 viewsKeno

Now obviously we mostly agree Americans are not rational with guns but ... on 15:11 - May 26 by Simonds92

I mean, logically, point one cancels out point 2. If 'evil always finds a way' they'll just work at a school in some capacity as a teacher or assistant. The assistant would only need to take out the teacher and then could conceivably kill an entire class. It's literally insane the way they think, they are ao incredibly backwards.
You kind of want to say go on then, lets see how your absolutely insane idea works and when it makes everything a whole lot worse you take responsibility for it. But nobody ever does take that responsibility, they blame something else. Perfect example is the sh!tshow that is brexit.

Actually i you are getting into Dominic Raab, sorry Alan B’stard country

How to solve gun crime

Give everyone a gun, they all shoot each other other that no more gun crime

And as a bonus you’ve solved unemployment, NHS waiting lists and Scottish independence

Now obviously we mostly agree Americans are not rational with guns but ... on 15:59 - May 26 with 2307 viewsArnoldMoorhen

A (British, but has lived in USA) friend who is a lawyer put forward a great suggestion.

Make insurance against wrongful or accidental use a condition of gun ownership. Then people who want more guns have to pay for it. People who want more powerful or higher capacity guns have to pay huge premiums. Young, single males pay higher premiums.

And those who own guns without insurance become criminals and lose the right to own a gun.

Gun "Rights" Advocates say that criminals will still own guns. But in the vast majority of mass shootings the perpetrator has acquired the gun legally. So making that process harder will make a difference.
Now obviously we mostly agree Americans are not rational with guns but ... on 16:12 - May 26 with 2272 viewsIllinoisblue

Some on the right are suggesting that social media and video games are to blame. Others saying teachers should be armed and that schools should have only one door.

They couldn’t miss the point more if they tried.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Login to get fewer ads

Now obviously we mostly agree Americans are not rational with guns but ... on 16:26 - May 26 with 2243 viewsHARRY10

Now obviously we mostly agree Americans are not rational with guns but ... on 15:59 - May 26 by ArnoldMoorhen

A (British, but has lived in USA) friend who is a lawyer put forward a great suggestion.

Make insurance against wrongful or accidental use a condition of gun ownership. Then people who want more guns have to pay for it. People who want more powerful or higher capacity guns have to pay huge premiums. Young, single males pay higher premiums.

And those who own guns without insurance become criminals and lose the right to own a gun.

Gun "Rights" Advocates say that criminals will still own guns. But in the vast majority of mass shootings the perpetrator has acquired the gun legally. So making that process harder will make a difference.

"I can't begin to understand their logic on guns " OP

That's because there is no logic, so they bleat out nonsense.......that makes no sense

I remember discussions with fox hunters in the some vein. They would spout ill informed guff then fall back on "that is just your opinion", however much you pointed out it was fact.

Much as with brexiters, who when the truth was pointed out, would pause, swivel their eyes, look uncomfortable much like a baby just at the moment it is going to bawl its eyes out, only it was a sheep like bleat of 'project fear' that came out.

None of the above will put forward an argument that suggests it is based on rational thought or that there might be some facts to add. Nope, just parrot like guff, repeated over and over. Meaningless slogans that are hidden behind, in lieu of any reasoned argument.

This type of idiocy was mocked in the Parrot Sketch, but does cause normal folk to wonder how they justify to themselves this load of old bllox.
Now obviously we mostly agree Americans are not rational with guns but ... on 16:29 - May 26 with 2236 viewsSTYG

Now obviously we mostly agree Americans are not rational with guns but ... on 16:26 - May 26 by HARRY10

"I can't begin to understand their logic on guns " OP

That's because there is no logic, so they bleat out nonsense.......that makes no sense

I remember discussions with fox hunters in the some vein. They would spout ill informed guff then fall back on "that is just your opinion", however much you pointed out it was fact.

Much as with brexiters, who when the truth was pointed out, would pause, swivel their eyes, look uncomfortable much like a baby just at the moment it is going to bawl its eyes out, only it was a sheep like bleat of 'project fear' that came out.

None of the above will put forward an argument that suggests it is based on rational thought or that there might be some facts to add. Nope, just parrot like guff, repeated over and over. Meaningless slogans that are hidden behind, in lieu of any reasoned argument.

This type of idiocy was mocked in the Parrot Sketch, but does cause normal folk to wonder how they justify to themselves this load of old bllox.

Like I say, I can't understand their logic on guns. But that's ingrained in them and won't be undone.

But they then present two statements that partly or fully contradict each other without the intelligence to see past their statements.

We have to give teachers guns to stop these people alongside nothing will stop these people? Well which one is it.
Now obviously we mostly agree Americans are not rational with guns but ... on 16:34 - May 26 with 2224 viewsjeera

Point one is stupid.

Point two is also stupid.

The pro-gun lobby will say any old crap to try to justify their obsession with guns.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Now obviously we mostly agree Americans are not rational with guns but ... on 16:46 - May 26 with 2211 viewsSTYG

Now obviously we mostly agree Americans are not rational with guns but ... on 16:34 - May 26 by jeera

Point one is stupid.

Point two is also stupid.

The pro-gun lobby will say any old crap to try to justify their obsession with guns.

Like I say, I know they are capable of making very stupid points.

But I thought even they may be able to avoid making two stupid points that effectively contradict each other.

The same people in the same articles, tweets and replies have said that teachers with guns will stop the people that you simply cannot stop.
Now obviously we mostly agree Americans are not rational with guns but ... on 16:51 - May 26 with 2197 viewsjeera

Now obviously we mostly agree Americans are not rational with guns but ... on 16:46 - May 26 by STYG

But I thought even they may be able to avoid making two stupid points that effectively contradict each other.

The same people in the same articles, tweets and replies have said that teachers with guns will stop the people that you simply cannot stop.

Until the day a teacher has had enough of the class playing up.

There must be a hundred good reasons to not arm teachers mustn't there; top of the list being it's not their effing job.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Now obviously we mostly agree Americans are not rational with guns but ... on 16:56 - May 26 with 2187 viewsSTYG

Now obviously we mostly agree Americans are not rational with guns but ... on 16:51 - May 26 by jeera

Until the day a teacher has had enough of the class playing up.

There must be a hundred good reasons to not arm teachers mustn't there; top of the list being it's not their effing job.

Cops apparently wouldn't go in. But lets ask Mary-Margaret, a petite 5'2, 8 stone kindergarten teacher to turn into Rambo! Hundreds of reasons.

Meanwhile I just read the shooter bought 375 rounds of ammunition on 18 May! THREE HUNDRED AND SEVENTY FIVE. Meanwhile, I can't buy two packs of paracetamol in the same visit.
Now obviously we mostly agree Americans are not rational with guns but ... on 17:17 - May 26 with 2148 viewsCrayonKing

Now obviously we mostly agree Americans are not rational with guns but ... on 16:46 - May 26 by STYG

At this point it's a religion, or actually more like a cult. Logic doesn't come in to it.

Any contradictions, or evidence that runs contrary to their dogma are just tests of faith. If mass murder of primary school children can't shake them out of it then nothing will :(
Now obviously we mostly agree Americans are not rational with guns but ... on 17:22 - May 26 with 2138 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

They could also try looking at countries that don't have guns so readily available, and see how many school mass shootings happen there. It's not a huge leap of logic or intelligence is it?

They can blame "evil people" all they like but every dead child's blood is on their hands if they once again do nothing.

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

Now obviously we mostly agree Americans are not rational with guns but ... on 17:24 - May 26 with 2134 viewsCrayonKing

Now obviously we mostly agree Americans are not rational with guns but ... on 14:07 - May 26 by Keno

'Guns don't kill people, people do'

Correct. People do. So maybe don't give people easy access to deadly weapons then...?
Now obviously we mostly agree Americans are not rational with guns but ... on 17:35 - May 26 with 2095 viewsBlueBadger

Now obviously we mostly agree Americans are not rational with guns but ... on 17:24 - May 26 by CrayonKing

Correct. People do. So maybe don't give people easy access to deadly weapons then...?

They should apply the same kind of ability to access guns as they do to accessing termination of pregnancy.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What would be the funniest relegation on Saturday
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Now obviously we mostly agree Americans are not rational with guns but ... on 19:15 - May 26 with 2004 viewsSuperKieranMcKenna

Given how the Conservatives have stripped the police force to the bone, I’m surprised they’ve not advocated loosening gun laws here. I can imagine some of the more extreme ones would rather we slept with an AR-15 under the pillow to save a few quid on bobbies.
Now obviously we mostly agree Americans are not rational with guns but ... on 19:48 - May 26 with 1983 viewsEdwardF

Giving people guns to increase safety is like encouraging f**king to promote virginity

Poll: Hypothetically who would you prefer as your main striker:

Now obviously we mostly agree Americans are not rational with guns but ... on 20:21 - May 26 with 1927 viewsEpiphone

The American Right will bleat on about their Constitutional right to bear arms but their Constitutional right to own slaves has been amended for the common good,the denial of votes to women has been amended for common good.How can they not see that amendments/controls to their right to bear arms will not lead to a better society avoiding this type tragedy?
Now obviously we mostly agree Americans are not rational with guns but ... on 20:30 - May 26 with 1910 viewseireblue

Now obviously we mostly agree Americans are not rational with guns but ... on 17:24 - May 26 by CrayonKing

It’s the bullets that kill people.

Burt, yep, there is no logic.

The American system has made a choice, children get killed so that adults can own guns.
[Post edited 26 May 2022 21:34]
Now obviously we mostly agree Americans are not rational with guns but ... on 21:00 - May 26 with 1875 viewsHARRY10

Now obviously we mostly agree Americans are not rational with guns but ... on 20:30 - May 26 by eireblue

The American system has made a choice, children get killed so that adults can own guns.

10 black people were killed a month back, 50 gay people a year or so ago... by crazed righties

unable to accept that others are different, and fired up by arsholes such as Trump

I can only wonder were the UK to have such inane gin laws as the US what the lies and hate peddled by Johnson and Farage would have led to

righties killed one MP, and another was killed by a religious nutter fired up by the same level of ignorance and hate

sadly, as long as their are righties wanting to believe such dangerous nonsense, they will be shysters all too willing to fill their silly heads

Ted Cruz was paid $445,000 to tell the incredibly thick that it is not only OK to own something, not seen anywhere else outside of Ukraine currently - but claims that the god thing says is is their right
Now obviously we mostly agree Americans are not rational with guns but ... on 21:25 - May 26 with 1827 viewsElderGrizzly

This is the perfect, if tragic response required today

Now obviously we mostly agree Americans are not rational with guns but ... on 22:58 - May 26 with 1789 viewsCrayonKing

Now obviously we mostly agree Americans are not rational with guns but ... on 20:30 - May 26 by eireblue

From a placard at March For Our Lives:

God bless the children who lay down their lives to protect our right to bear arms
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024