Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Question on the impact of shirt sales 16:06 - Jun 23 with 2710 viewsnick141

I heard on the KOA pod that our shirt sales have already doubled last season's record breaking amount, which is great news. I just bought the away kit.

I wonder the impact of this - does it have a material impact on affording signings/wages etc.? I don't know the figures involved but if anyone does that might be interesting.
Question on the impact of shirt sales on 16:08 - Jun 23 with 2420 viewsZx1988

It's difficult to say without knowing the precise numbers.

Working on the basis of, say, £10 cost price, £50 sale price, that's £40 a shirt (ignoring staffing/merchandising/promotion costs etc.,).

If you, say, sell 10,000 shirts, that would be an additional £400k with which to play. It all helps.

Poll: Stone Island - immediate associations

Question on the impact of shirt sales on 16:11 - Jun 23 with 2376 viewshype313

Question on the impact of shirt sales on 16:08 - Jun 23 by Zx1988

Working on the basis of, say, £10 cost price, £50 sale price, that's £40 a shirt (ignoring staffing/merchandising/promotion costs etc.,).

If you, say, sell 10,000 shirts, that would be an additional £400k with which to play. It all helps.

'Kit manufacturers usually take 80—90% of all revenue from shirt sales. Clubs in return receive large, ‘up-front’ payments from their kit manufacturer. At best, the club can earn 20% of all net sales, though for many large deals, such royalty payments to a club only kick in only once a large number of sales have already been made — say, 2 million shirt sales.'

From The Athletic a year or so ago, now that might just be for PL teams, might be different further down the divisions.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Question on the impact of shirt sales on 16:13 - Jun 23 with 2363 viewsnick141

Question on the impact of shirt sales on 16:11 - Jun 23 by hype313

'Kit manufacturers usually take 80—90% of all revenue from shirt sales. Clubs in return receive large, ‘up-front’ payments from their kit manufacturer. At best, the club can earn 20% of all net sales, though for many large deals, such royalty payments to a club only kick in only once a large number of sales have already been made — say, 2 million shirt sales.'

From The Athletic a year or so ago, now that might just be for PL teams, might be different further down the divisions.

If so, that's a bit depressing! Was hoping my money would go straight into the war chest!

Interesting and helpful though, thank you.
Question on the impact of shirt sales on 16:14 - Jun 23 with 2351 viewsSTYG

We will get a few quid tops from each shirt.

What we make from shirts this season, even if record breaking, would probably pay one of our best players wages for a month.

That is about it sadly.
Question on the impact of shirt sales on 16:18 - Jun 23 with 2302 viewsZx1988

Question on the impact of shirt sales on 16:11 - Jun 23 by hype313

Yeah, I'd seen about that but assumed that it only really applied to clubs for whose custom kit manufacturers would want to try and compete.

I assumed for clubs of our stature it would be a case of approaching suppliers to see what they could do for us, and how much they would charge us per unit (and in terms of design fees, if necessary).

Poll: Stone Island - immediate associations

Question on the impact of shirt sales on 16:19 - Jun 23 with 2297 viewsnick141

Question on the impact of shirt sales on 16:14 - Jun 23 by STYG

What we make from shirts this season, even if record breaking, would probably pay one of our best players wages for a month.

That is about it sadly.

This does beg the question, what exactly is the point of selling the shirts? Is it purely PR - a free advert? Or am I missing something?
Question on the impact of shirt sales on 16:21 - Jun 23 with 2275 viewshype313

Question on the impact of shirt sales on 16:19 - Jun 23 by nick141

This does beg the question, what exactly is the point of selling the shirts? Is it purely PR - a free advert? Or am I missing something?

Think that's why the club a few years ago tried the in house approach with Punch (I think) but only sold 3 shirts as they were horrific.

Question on the impact of shirt sales on 16:27 - Jun 23 with 2226 viewsnick141

Question on the impact of shirt sales on 16:21 - Jun 23 by hype313

Think that's why the club a few years ago tried the in house approach with Punch (I think) but only sold 3 shirts as they were horrific.

ahhh, just googled and see those were the Kuqi/Alan Lee years - I thought they were decent!
Login to get fewer ads

Question on the impact of shirt sales on 16:28 - Jun 23 with 2216 viewshype313

Question on the impact of shirt sales on 16:27 - Jun 23 by nick141

ahhh, just googled and see those were the Kuqi/Alan Lee years - I thought they were decent!

They were too low brow for Sports Direct.

Didn't even have room in the Lonsdale bin for them.
[Post edited 23 Jun 2022 16:29]

Question on the impact of shirt sales on 16:31 - Jun 23 with 2200 viewsBig_Jase

Question on the impact of shirt sales on 16:19 - Jun 23 by nick141

Umbro will pay us, like a sponsor. We will get X amount per year, plus a small percentage of the kit sales. The more commercial appeal you have, the higher X per year you get.

I would imagine we have a pretty good deal with Umbro, based on the shirt sales last year.

Poll: Who would actually care if Norwich responded with a plane banner?

Question on the impact of shirt sales on 16:32 - Jun 23 with 2184 viewsITFC_Forever

Question on the impact of shirt sales on 16:27 - Jun 23 by nick141

The in-house Punch brand was from 1995-96 onwards until the Mitre years in the mid-to-late 00s.

P 1124, W 500, D 288, L 336, F 1707, A 1359
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Question on the impact of shirt sales on 17:22 - Jun 23 with 2017 viewsIllinoisblue

Already doubled?? That seems a stretch given they’ve only been on sale online for less than a week. Of course, until the club release actual numbers of shirts sold we’ll never really know what “record breaking” means.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Question on the impact of shirt sales on 17:33 - Jun 23 with 1943 viewsN2_Blue

That is about it sadly.

Utter nonsense.

You are basically saying we would only earn about 40 - 60k for our shirt sales. As i said, nonsense

Poll: Is it now time to sack Paul Cook?

Question on the impact of shirt sales on 17:50 - Jun 23 with 1887 viewsStadiumofdark

That is about it sadly.

Nonsense.
Question on the impact of shirt sales on 17:51 - Jun 23 with 1881 viewsBig_Jase

Question on the impact of shirt sales on 17:50 - Jun 23 by Stadiumofdark

Nonsense.

It’s really not, manufacturing deals don’t work like that.

Question on the impact of shirt sales on 19:28 - Jun 23 with 1759 viewsPinewoodblue

We probably bank as much per shirt sold as the VAT man receives.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Question on the impact of shirt sales on 20:57 - Jun 23 with 1654 viewsIpstone

Question on the impact of shirt sales on 16:32 - Jun 23 by ITFC_Forever

The in-house Punch brand was from 1995-96 onwards until the Mitre years in the mid-to-late 00s.

I liked the Punch shirts for the most part, All the Greene king sponsored ones basically.

I also liked some of the smart wear that was around at the time polo shirts etc, The current offering in the smart t shirts area is pretty disappointing to be fair.
Question on the impact of shirt sales on 09:20 - Jun 24 with 1407 viewsArnieM

Doesn’t the amount of income a Club generates relate to what the clubs owners can put into the club?

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

Question on the impact of shirt sales on 09:24 - Jun 24 with 1396 viewsclive_baker

Question on the impact of shirt sales on 17:22 - Jun 23 by Illinoisblue

Already doubled?? That seems a stretch given they’ve only been on sale online for less than a week. Of course, until the club release actual numbers of shirts sold we’ll never really know what “record breaking” means.

Think they mean doubled vs. the same stage last season.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Question on the impact of shirt sales on 09:29 - Jun 24 with 1368 viewsPinewoodblue

Question on the impact of shirt sales on 09:24 - Jun 24 by clive_baker

Think they mean doubled vs. the same stage last season.

Wonder how many have gone to fans of Ed. I know people who don’t support Town that purchased last season shirt , when it was reduced, to wear at Ed’s Wembley gigs.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Question on the impact of shirt sales on 09:40 - Jun 24 with 1342 viewsSTYG

Question on the impact of shirt sales on 17:50 - Jun 23 by Stadiumofdark

Nonsense.

Do explain how you think it works then!

Clubs like us don't get rich off stuff like this. The vast majority of the profit is with the manufacturer and our money is from other parts of that deal (mainly licensing, but we also get gift of kit (so all the kit, training gear etc for all the teams from mens, womens, under 18's etc), with a little percentage of the profits thrown in. In our case probably 3-5% I'd guess.

Why do you think the smaller brands put so much more time into the designs and the likes of Adidas and Nike can knock out generic rubbish. It's because those clubs already have a massive fan base and the shirts are guarantee to sell millions anyway. The Umbro, Macron, Joma, Errea companies know a good design will sell more shirts and make them more money and open doors to other clubs. The smaller brands need all the clubs they can get and go that extra mile.

'Even the biggest clubs in the world receive a relatively small percentage of the revenue generated from shirt sales - usually around 7.5 to - if they're lucky - 15 per cent'.

https://www.goal.com/en/news/how-much-money-do-football-clubs-make-from-shirt-sa

It also speaks about how Liverpool will get £30m from Nike for licensing, plus £16m from sales. When you consider how guaranteed that is, if they come out with some incredible, quirky design, they may pick up a few more sales but not enough to make a difference and lose a few as well as the shirt isn't as traditional. Which is why the big clubs shirts are generally fairly bland and boring. Why spend design hours to sell an extra 500 shirts to a club that'll average 25,000 shirts when it makes little difference whether you sell 24,500 or 25,500.
[Post edited 24 Jun 2022 9:54]
Question on the impact of shirt sales on 10:47 - Jun 24 with 1252 viewsBig_Jase

Question on the impact of shirt sales on 09:40 - Jun 24 by STYG

Do explain how you think it works then!

Clubs like us don't get rich off stuff like this. The vast majority of the profit is with the manufacturer and our money is from other parts of that deal (mainly licensing, but we also get gift of kit (so all the kit, training gear etc for all the teams from mens, womens, under 18's etc), with a little percentage of the profits thrown in. In our case probably 3-5% I'd guess.

Why do you think the smaller brands put so much more time into the designs and the likes of Adidas and Nike can knock out generic rubbish. It's because those clubs already have a massive fan base and the shirts are guarantee to sell millions anyway. The Umbro, Macron, Joma, Errea companies know a good design will sell more shirts and make them more money and open doors to other clubs. The smaller brands need all the clubs they can get and go that extra mile.

'Even the biggest clubs in the world receive a relatively small percentage of the revenue generated from shirt sales - usually around 7.5 to - if they're lucky - 15 per cent'.

https://www.goal.com/en/news/how-much-money-do-football-clubs-make-from-shirt-sa

It also speaks about how Liverpool will get £30m from Nike for licensing, plus £16m from sales. When you consider how guaranteed that is, if they come out with some incredible, quirky design, they may pick up a few more sales but not enough to make a difference and lose a few as well as the shirt isn't as traditional. Which is why the big clubs shirts are generally fairly bland and boring. Why spend design hours to sell an extra 500 shirts to a club that'll average 25,000 shirts when it makes little difference whether you sell 24,500 or 25,500.
[Post edited 24 Jun 2022 9:54]

Licensing was the word I was looking for above! I called it a sponsor.

Question on the impact of shirt sales on 10:58 - Jun 24 with 1196 viewsSwansea_Blue

This is a few years old, but I expect the breakdown is still fairly similar. Presumably we would get the retailer and the licensing fee elements, so about £20 per shirt (ver approximate).

Who gets what from a replica shirt sale:
Retailer £18.13 (37%)
Sportswear firm £12.76 (26%)
VAT £8.24 (17%)
Manufacturing and shipping £4.79 (10%)
Club licensing fee £2.97 (6%)
Marketing £1.39 (3%)
Distribution £1.17 (2%)
Total retail price £49.45

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/replica-football-shirts-rip-fans-74

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Question on the impact of shirt sales on 11:04 - Jun 24 with 1172 viewswkj

It has a big impact on financial fair play as a result of commercial turn over, so it does theoretically increase the wage cap

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Question on the impact of shirt sales on 11:15 - Jun 24 with 1142 viewsCharlie_pl_baxter

Question on the impact of shirt sales on 11:04 - Jun 24 by wkj

It has a big impact on financial fair play as a result of commercial turn over, so it does theoretically increase the wage cap

Really good point this. Some of the bigger clubs would see a lot of their shirt sales through third parties (Sports Direct etc). In our case I would assume pretty much all the revenue comes through the club in the first instance.

Poll: We recruit two strikers, one has to be Bonne or Wickham, who would you have?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024