Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Bet nobody has seen Harry Clarke play (n/t) 15:26 - Jan 19 with 3665 viewsMaySixth

Poll: Ladapo or Hirst to start up front against Peterborough?

Bet nobody has seen Harry Clarke play (n/t) on 15:27 - Jan 19 with 3237 viewshype313

Doesn't matter, most football fans are clueless about someones ability, so it's always best to trust the professionals.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Bet nobody has seen Harry Clarke play (n/t) on 15:31 - Jan 19 with 3196 viewsTRUE_BLUE123

Ive seen him play a few times tbf.

He is good, but still has lots to learn defensively. Seen a few mock lineups where he is straight in for JD, I'm not so sure about that just yet. But he's got some good attributes. Strong in the air, fairly quick, good leader.

A good investment for the future i think.

Poll: Will Paul Lambert be Ipswich Town manager on the final day of this season ?

Bet nobody has seen Harry Clarke play (n/t) (n/t) on 15:32 - Jan 19 with 3170 viewshype313

Bet nobody has seen Harry Clarke play (n/t) on 15:31 - Jan 19 by TRUE_BLUE123

He is good, but still has lots to learn defensively. Seen a few mock lineups where he is straight in for JD, I'm not so sure about that just yet. But he's got some good attributes. Strong in the air, fairly quick, good leader.

[Post edited 19 Jan 2023 15:33]

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Bet nobody has seen Harry Clarke play (n/t) on 15:35 - Jan 19 with 3137 viewsitfcjoe

Bet nobody has seen Harry Clarke play (n/t) on 15:31 - Jan 19 by TRUE_BLUE123

We need our FBs to be more worried about attacking than defensively really, and he'll be a huge upgrade on JD in that regard both with regards to on the ball and the threat he provides.

JD still a great one on one defender, but ultimately we have 65% of the ball each week and need to have players more comfortable with it in the opposition half

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Bet nobody has seen Harry Clarke play (n/t) on 15:41 - Jan 19 with 3049 viewshomer_123

From a Potters supporting client of mine:

"Decent defender, got a couple of goals, decent squad player but not outstanding — we have had a very chop and change time while he was here due to switching managers and selling players so probably didn’t see best of him — think he’s reasonable but not up to standards of Souttar or Collins or other good defenders we have had past few years 😊"

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Bet nobody has seen Harry Clarke play (n/t) on 15:44 - Jan 19 with 3005 viewsTRUE_BLUE123

Bet nobody has seen Harry Clarke play (n/t) on 15:35 - Jan 19 by itfcjoe

We need our FBs to be more worried about attacking than defensively really, and he'll be a huge upgrade on JD in that regard both with regards to on the ball and the threat he provides.

JD still a great one on one defender, but ultimately we have 65% of the ball each week and need to have players more comfortable with it in the opposition half

I do think JD is fairly comfortable in the opposition half. Particularly the first half of the season I thought he was incredibly effective with his progressive carries and passes. Making really important runs in to the opposition box, Mk dons at home stands out

Does the fact that opposition teams tend to play quite deep vs us make it difficult for that role with the lack of space to run in to?

Poll: Will Paul Lambert be Ipswich Town manager on the final day of this season ?

Bet nobody has seen Harry Clarke play (n/t) on 15:44 - Jan 19 with 3002 viewsbackwaywhen

Bet nobody has seen Harry Clarke play (n/t) on 15:41 - Jan 19 by homer_123

From a Potters supporting client of mine:

"Decent defender, got a couple of goals, decent squad player but not outstanding — we have had a very chop and change time while he was here due to switching managers and selling players so probably didn’t see best of him — think he’s reasonable but not up to standards of Souttar or Collins or other good defenders we have had past few years 😊"

Sour grapes …..
Bet nobody has seen Harry Clarke play (n/t) on 15:44 - Jan 19 with 3001 viewsMaySixth

https://oatcakefanzine.proboards.com/thread/304634/harry-clarke-signing-ipswich-

CB not RB/RWB

Poll: Ladapo or Hirst to start up front against Peterborough?

Login to get fewer ads

Bet nobody has seen Harry Clarke play (n/t) on 15:46 - Jan 19 with 2971 viewshomer_123

Bet nobody has seen Harry Clarke play (n/t) on 15:44 - Jan 19 by backwaywhen

Sour grapes …..

...maybe a smidgen?
[Post edited 19 Jan 2023 15:49]

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Bet nobody has seen Harry Clarke play (n/t) on 15:56 - Jan 19 with 2874 viewsitfcsuth

Bet nobody has seen Harry Clarke play (n/t) on 15:46 - Jan 19 by homer_123

...maybe a smidgen?
[Post edited 19 Jan 2023 15:49]

Doesn't sound very sour to be fair, seems a pretty balanced assessment. Falls in line with my ST Stoke friend who said he was 'decent without being spectacular'.

You always get helmets on twitter but near all Stoke fans are saying similar.

Has obviously been with a struggling side this year which certainly doesn't help.

Looks physically impressive, and I'm sure will do well at this level, but any suggestions he will be a huge upgrade on JD at this stage are a little wild.
Bet nobody has seen Harry Clarke play (n/t) on 16:11 - Jan 19 with 2774 viewsitfcjoe

Bet nobody has seen Harry Clarke play (n/t) on 15:44 - Jan 19 by MaySixth

https://oatcakefanzine.proboards.com/thread/304634/harry-clarke-signing-ipswich-

CB not RB/RWB

He's not played CB for Stoke at all

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Bet nobody has seen Harry Clarke play (n/t) on 16:13 - Jan 19 with 2739 viewsle2blue

I've seen him play for Ipswich Town as it happens. Also watched him at Hibs and watched him live in the Stoke v Burnley game where he scored a cracking header. Under KM's coaching, I think he is going to be a great signing.
[Post edited 19 Jan 2023 16:16]
Bet nobody has seen Harry Clarke play (n/t) on 16:15 - Jan 19 with 2709 viewsKieran_Knows

Bet nobody has seen Harry Clarke play (n/t) on 15:44 - Jan 19 by MaySixth

CB not RB/RWB

He's spent the last 2 seasons playing at right back though.

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

Bet nobody has seen Harry Clarke play (n/t) on 16:22 - Jan 19 with 2594 viewsThe_Realist_09

Another smart signing, although obviously the price tag brings pressure in this league.

JD is a great character and 1v1 defender but lets not pretend his isn't limited with the ball.

We've managed to make him work at the highest level of his career in a unique system, taking advantage of his attributes but I still think we can improve and definitely not sure he'd cut it in the champ.

Clarke obviously may be raw but from a cultured club in Arsenal, young, champ experience, all the right attributes to make the step up.
Bet nobody has seen Harry Clarke play (n/t) on 16:27 - Jan 19 with 2531 viewsTRUE_BLUE123

Bet nobody has seen Harry Clarke play (n/t) on 16:22 - Jan 19 by The_Realist_09

Another smart signing, although obviously the price tag brings pressure in this league.

JD is a great character and 1v1 defender but lets not pretend his isn't limited with the ball.

We've managed to make him work at the highest level of his career in a unique system, taking advantage of his attributes but I still think we can improve and definitely not sure he'd cut it in the champ.

Clarke obviously may be raw but from a cultured club in Arsenal, young, champ experience, all the right attributes to make the step up.

I really don’t think he’s limited with the ball..

Defender first yes. Limited with the football. Hyperbolic in my opinion. His attacking numbers are fairly consistent up until this little dip we have had. He’s also playing a slightly different role to last season.

Not knocking the Clarke signing, I think it’s a great buy.

Bet nobody has seen Harry Clarke play (n/t) on 16:35 - Jan 19 with 2466 viewsitfcsuth

Bet nobody has seen Harry Clarke play (n/t) on 16:27 - Jan 19 by TRUE_BLUE123

Defender first yes. Limited with the football. Hyperbolic in my opinion. His attacking numbers are fairly consistent up until this little dip we have had. He’s also playing a slightly different role to last season.

Think it's a good post, JD has been a good attacking outlet, and always had a strong relationship with Burns in front of him - and both of their forms have dipped along with the squad, but nothing drastically.

I as well am far from knocking Harry Clarke, I'm sure a decent player indeed especially in a decent L1 side, he will look good I'm sure.
Bet nobody has seen Harry Clarke play (n/t) on 16:56 - Jan 19 with 2313 viewsDJR

Bet nobody has seen Harry Clarke play (n/t) on 16:35 - Jan 19 by itfcsuth

Think it's a good post, JD has been a good attacking outlet, and always had a strong relationship with Burns in front of him - and both of their forms have dipped along with the squad, but nothing drastically.

I as well am far from knocking Harry Clarke, I'm sure a decent player indeed especially in a decent L1 side, he will look good I'm sure.

Only Burns and Davis have more assists than JD, and I do sense Davis is encouraged to get forward much more than JD, but even Davis maybe hasn't got forward as much in recent games, perhaps because of the way teams have set up against us.

The other thing to bear in mind is that JD is one of our better players in the air, and I don't really recall him being at fault for any goal we have conceded this season.

According to Wikipedia, Clarke is 5 ft 11 inch, which is not especially tall for a defender.

Still, McK knows more about football than me.
Bet nobody has seen Harry Clarke play (n/t) on 13:15 - Jan 20 with 1871 viewstractorboy1978

Bet nobody has seen Harry Clarke play (n/t) on 15:35 - Jan 19 by itfcjoe

I think he's going to really attack the back post as well. I always think of Chambers in that 14/15 season - I think he got 2/3 goals doing that.

If you watch Hirst's highlight reel on Youtube you see he scored several headers for Pompey last season attacking crosses in open play. People have criticised us for being a bit too intricate at times but I think these two add a bit of a different dimension. I think we can carry on being a side strong in possession whilst being a touch more direct when we get into the final third.
Bet nobody has seen Harry Clarke play (n/t) on 13:31 - Jan 20 with 1804 viewsportmanroadblue

I am wondering if we may see JD move to CB at some point and we have Clarke as an right back in a flat back four or even playing 3 CBs and Clarke and Davies as attacking Wing backs.
Bet nobody has seen Harry Clarke play (n/t) on 13:34 - Jan 20 with 1785 viewsFrimleyBlue

Bet nobody has seen Harry Clarke play (n/t) on 13:31 - Jan 20 by portmanroadblue

I am wondering if we may see JD move to CB at some point and we have Clarke as an right back in a flat back four or even playing 3 CBs and Clarke and Davies as attacking Wing backs.

I think we are slowly seeing the transition of JD back to a bencher and squad player personally.

Seems like a great bloke but championship quality? I dint think so and we look to be trying to develop those who can improve if we go up.

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

Bet nobody has seen Harry Clarke play (n/t) on 13:37 - Jan 20 with 1782 viewsportmanroadblue

Bet nobody has seen Harry Clarke play (n/t) on 13:34 - Jan 20 by FrimleyBlue

I think we are slowly seeing the transition of JD back to a bencher and squad player personally.

Seems like a great bloke but championship quality? I dint think so and we look to be trying to develop those who can improve if we go up.

Only time will tell, but I think JD has and will be a mainstay for a few more years and can definitely make the step up to championship level.
Bet nobody has seen Harry Clarke play (n/t) on 13:58 - Jan 20 with 1708 viewsBloomBlue

Bet nobody has seen Harry Clarke play (n/t) on 16:27 - Jan 19 by TRUE_BLUE123

The full back position in modern football is a difficult position, fans expect them to have defensive tackling ability of George Burley, the attacking & crossing ability of Ronaldo and heading ability of the Beat. That ability/ intensity will result in a drop of performance occasionally.
I agree with you, if you look at his JDs numbers they've been excellent for a season and half, just a recent dip in form not helped by some niggling injuries during games. But I'm not convinced McK has total confidence in KVY in that position as a replacement which is why I think Clarke is a good signing as it gives the opportunity to rest JD
Bet nobody has seen Harry Clarke play (n/t) on 18:08 - Jan 20 with 1484 viewsWakh

Bet nobody has seen Harry Clarke play (n/t) on 16:56 - Jan 19 by DJR

Only Burns and Davis have more assists than JD, and I do sense Davis is encouraged to get forward much more than JD, but even Davis maybe hasn't got forward as much in recent games, perhaps because of the way teams have set up against us.

The other thing to bear in mind is that JD is one of our better players in the air, and I don't really recall him being at fault for any goal we have conceded this season.

According to Wikipedia, Clarke is 5 ft 11 inch, which is not especially tall for a defender.

Still, McK knows more about football than me.

Clarke 6'3 ignore wiki. He was 6'2 at 17
Bet nobody has seen Harry Clarke play (n/t) on 18:19 - Jan 20 with 1437 viewsTalkingBlues

Bet nobody has seen Harry Clarke play (n/t) on 16:11 - Jan 19 by itfcjoe

He's not played CB for Stoke at all

And if I’m not mistaken, he’s 5’11 which suits the RWB role better than CB

Poll: Is it wrong to take more pleasure from seeing Germany lose, than England win

Bet nobody has seen Harry Clarke play (n/t) on 18:20 - Jan 20 with 1433 viewsWakh

Bet nobody has seen Harry Clarke play (n/t) on 18:19 - Jan 20 by TalkingBlues

And if I’m not mistaken, he’s 5’11 which suits the RWB role better than CB

He's 6'3
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024