Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
What a manager we have 17:05 - Aug 19 with 4373 viewsMullet

If you can keep your head when QPR are all around you, kicking everything and missing easy chances you won't be League One again will you?

Thought the early start faded and we were relatively poor/disjointed for a lot of that. Wasn't clicking in behind Hirst, right hand side were being targeted and making poor decisions. Armstrong will be looked at by a few I reckon in the final week of the window - he's just brutal when he gets moving.

Not sure how Eltringham will feel about his performance but it was sh1te. Missed so much all over the park and bottled decisions. Likewise, we rode our luck superbly and kept going.

The benefits of a squad glued together by that promotion seem to be reaping rewards early on. It's like that start to the Championship the other year when everything went in or stayed out as we needed it to.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

What a manager we have on 17:10 - Aug 19 with 3737 viewspointofblue

Last week seemed far better than any performance from the start of 2017/18 but both away games have that feel about them.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

What a manager we have on 17:12 - Aug 19 with 3694 viewswkj

Eltringham really was a poor steward of today's game. I know ref bashing is a common thing and often derided - but he really didn't have a consistent handle on the game at all.

Premier Poster. Too good to be elite.
Poll: Who do you want to see join us IN THE PREMIER LEAGUE
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

What a manager we have on 17:23 - Aug 19 with 3597 viewsBlueBadger

What a manager we have on 17:10 - Aug 19 by pointofblue

Last week seemed far better than any performance from the start of 2017/18 but both away games have that feel about them.

Not really. We didn't fold spinelessly after 15 minutes and then get applauded off after losing by 2 or 3 goals.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: Do we still want KM to be our manager
Blog: From Despair to Where?

What a manager we have on 17:24 - Aug 19 with 3584 viewspointofblue

What a manager we have on 17:23 - Aug 19 by BlueBadger

Not really. We didn't fold spinelessly after 15 minutes and then get applauded off after losing by 2 or 3 goals.

Start of 2017/18 - we won four in a row.

2018/19 was folding spinelessly etc.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

What a manager we have on 17:25 - Aug 19 with 3572 viewspositivity

What a manager we have on 17:23 - Aug 19 by BlueBadger

2017-18 we started well, then folded spinelessly after 4 games

Poll: do you do judo and/or do you do voodoo?

What a manager we have on 17:45 - Aug 19 with 3449 viewsBlueBadger

What a manager we have on 17:24 - Aug 19 by pointofblue

Start of 2017/18 - we won four in a row.

2018/19 was folding spinelessly etc.

Yep, my bad there - anything with the number '18' induces PTSD flashbacks.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: Do we still want KM to be our manager
Blog: From Despair to Where?

What a manager we have on 19:48 - Aug 19 with 3243 viewsMullet

What a manager we have on 17:45 - Aug 19 by BlueBadger

Yep, my bad there - anything with the number '18' induces PTSD flashbacks.

It's been so long getting back to where we were I can understand you getting mixed up. How miserable those 4 years look now eh?

What a manager we have on 20:51 - Aug 19 with 3103 viewsibbleobble

What a manager we have on 19:48 - Aug 19 by Mullet

It's been so long getting back to where we were I can understand you getting mixed up. How miserable those 4 years look now eh?

We’re not back to where we were. We’re better than where we were, that’s the point. Question for you. Do you think this side will finish in a better position this season than McCarthy’s 6th place finish?
Login to get fewer ads

What a manager we have on 21:03 - Aug 19 with 3058 viewsMullet

What a manager we have on 20:51 - Aug 19 by ibbleobble

We’re not back to where we were. We’re better than where we were, that’s the point. Question for you. Do you think this side will finish in a better position this season than McCarthy’s 6th place finish?

I hope so. I've predicted us at 5th. By your own logic we're not even back to where we were when we finished much lower after 2014/15.

I'm not sure why you are bringing up Mick's success like this, I thought you'd moved on trying to do down Dozzell the second the game finished - you were bringing me up the other day for no reason to say how boring talking about Mick was.

Yet here you are. Still trying to convince yourself it seems.

What a manager we have on 21:17 - Aug 19 with 3005 viewsnshearman1

McKenna is McGod
What a manager we have on 21:18 - Aug 19 with 3002 viewsibbleobble

What a manager we have on 21:03 - Aug 19 by Mullet

I hope so. I've predicted us at 5th. By your own logic we're not even back to where we were when we finished much lower after 2014/15.

I'm not sure why you are bringing up Mick's success like this, I thought you'd moved on trying to do down Dozzell the second the game finished - you were bringing me up the other day for no reason to say how boring talking about Mick was.

Yet here you are. Still trying to convince yourself it seems.

…because that’s your benchmark of success, Mick’s 6th place finish, which you’ve been clinging onto for far too long like it was a glorious achievement and you’ve been sour since the day he left. Yet here we are, in a much better place as a club for rolling the dice but that’s water under the bridge. If you think this side is better than what he assembled and we’ll have a better season, great - good to see common sense prevails.

Regarding Dozzell, I gave him a 6 out of 10 given all the chat about him over the last two-weeks. What did you make of his performance?
What a manager we have on 21:26 - Aug 19 with 2957 viewsMullet

What a manager we have on 21:18 - Aug 19 by ibbleobble

…because that’s your benchmark of success, Mick’s 6th place finish, which you’ve been clinging onto for far too long like it was a glorious achievement and you’ve been sour since the day he left. Yet here we are, in a much better place as a club for rolling the dice but that’s water under the bridge. If you think this side is better than what he assembled and we’ll have a better season, great - good to see common sense prevails.

Regarding Dozzell, I gave him a 6 out of 10 given all the chat about him over the last two-weeks. What did you make of his performance?

No it's not. You're again desperately trying to drag out some weird argument to dry your own tears. I've not said anything along the lines of your last two posts.

After your recent strop and this afternoon's frankly odd behaviour after a Town win, to take a pop at Andre. I'm not sure just what it will take to accept you've been wrong for so long. At least others have the good grace to keep quiet or hold their hands up.

What a manager we have on 21:40 - Aug 19 with 2864 viewsPioneerBlue

Roy, Mick, several Paul’s are all blots on this otherwise great club.

Blog: Ipswich Ramblings

What a manager we have on 21:45 - Aug 19 with 2835 viewsunstableblue

What a manager we have on 21:40 - Aug 19 by PioneerBlue

As soon as we can remove the horror football seen under Roy, Mick and the Pauls form our collective memory the better.

Awful times in our history. As the attendance figures confirm.

We must never ever appoint a manager again who doesn’t put entertainment and playing on the front foot first. What on Earth were we thinking?!

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

What a manager we have on 22:17 - Aug 19 with 2752 viewsibbleobble

What a manager we have on 21:26 - Aug 19 by Mullet

No it's not. You're again desperately trying to drag out some weird argument to dry your own tears. I've not said anything along the lines of your last two posts.

After your recent strop and this afternoon's frankly odd behaviour after a Town win, to take a pop at Andre. I'm not sure just what it will take to accept you've been wrong for so long. At least others have the good grace to keep quiet or hold their hands up.

“Wrong for so long”, good Lord, you actually believe your own nonsense. If anyone on here is guilty of being wrong it’s most definitely you and your vehement pro-MM stance for so long whilst pouring scorn on others who were right all along. You’ve also been giving Dozzell props for his Championship move upwards when others were openly challenging it and criticising his ability. Both of those aged badly yet you have the audacity to still try and paint yourself in a different light whilst all the while criticising people for “rewriting history”. Kin ell! What a cretin. Congrats, you’re first on my div list.
What a manager we have on 22:26 - Aug 19 with 2715 viewsArnieM

I’d say McKenna’s squad would wipe the floor with McCarthys 6th placed side. Just my view of course, many will probably differ.

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

What a manager we have on 01:01 - Aug 20 with 2510 viewspatrickswell

What a manager we have on 21:40 - Aug 19 by PioneerBlue

Mick McCarthy was not a blot on the club, he was the only manager we had, over a period of 13 years, until December 2022 who managed to get a consistent tune out of our team. No, his team doesn’t compare in footballing terms to the present one, but he was operating under conditions which meant that the idea of buying the likes of Tom Lawrence, Ryan Fraser or Bersant Celina was a pipe dream.
Can we stop pretending that we sat through a 6 year loop of the 2016/17 season (which was a grind, I freely admit), because it really wasn’t like that.

McKenna will outstrip McCarthy’s record here, no question. But in doing so, he’ll only be the second manager we’ve had in nigh on a decade and half who managed to do a decent job of managing Ipswich Town well in the Championship.
What a manager we have on 06:00 - Aug 20 with 2410 viewsBondiBlue

What a manager we have on 22:26 - Aug 19 by ArnieM

I’d say McKenna’s squad would wipe the floor with McCarthys 6th placed side. Just my view of course, many will probably differ.

No-one wiped the floor with mick's 6th placed team. That's how it got into the playoffs. Would be a very tight game that could go either way.

Poll: Which would you accept?

What a manager we have on 07:56 - Aug 20 with 2246 viewsChurchman

What a manager we have on 06:00 - Aug 20 by BondiBlue

No-one wiped the floor with mick's 6th placed team. That's how it got into the playoffs. Would be a very tight game that could go either way.

Nobody wiped the floor with Micks team 2014/15, but they did the following season. We had a good start then we played Brighton at home. They won 3-2 but the score was a travesty really. They played us off the pitch. I notice that it was followed by the 5-1 drubbing at Reading. It was these games that convinced me the opportunity was gone.

I’ve never liked Mick’s way of playing football, even before he managed us. Dour. However, there’s a place for it. There aren’t many managers who could have got us out of the abject mess Jewell left or could have built such a competitive, tight team with so little. Pragmatic, disciplined and effective. It was what we needed at that time and no rewrite of history will change that for me.

But it went on too long. It was crushingly dull and actually embarrassing watching a once great club treating every point a prisoner and scratching at home against the likes of Rotherham. His time was up. Evans of course carries much of the blame for allowing the club to rot inside out.

Would Mick’s 2014/15 beat the current team? With Murphy having his golden season and Didzy in his prime, at the moment probably. But firstly the current team will improve and secondly I’d much rather watch McKenna’s exciting team. I watched MMs team out of go to the match habit, not love - especially in the last few seasons.

I said last Saturday that I thought they were the best side since since Burley’s team. An OTT view fuelled by the excitement of the day, but I genuinely think they will be.
What a ridiculous conflation, and borderline libellous! on 08:06 - Aug 20 with 2213 viewsDyland

What a manager we have on 21:45 - Aug 19 by unstableblue

As soon as we can remove the horror football seen under Roy, Mick and the Pauls form our collective memory the better.

Awful times in our history. As the attendance figures confirm.

We must never ever appoint a manager again who doesn’t put entertainment and playing on the front foot first. What on Earth were we thinking?!

McCarthy was ten times the manager Keane was. Jewell and Lambert have had some successes, but were beyond awful here (Evans take a bow as well), and in ITFC terms are not in the same dog sh1t strewn ball park as Mick. Hurst... er, lol... but again, Evans take a fooking bow and give us a jig.

For the record (and I can't believe I'm still having to write this), I thought Mick's time was up with his negative bollix philosophy long before he finally went.

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

What a manager we have on 09:10 - Aug 20 with 2058 viewsunstableblue

What a manager we have on 07:56 - Aug 20 by Churchman

Nobody wiped the floor with Micks team 2014/15, but they did the following season. We had a good start then we played Brighton at home. They won 3-2 but the score was a travesty really. They played us off the pitch. I notice that it was followed by the 5-1 drubbing at Reading. It was these games that convinced me the opportunity was gone.

I’ve never liked Mick’s way of playing football, even before he managed us. Dour. However, there’s a place for it. There aren’t many managers who could have got us out of the abject mess Jewell left or could have built such a competitive, tight team with so little. Pragmatic, disciplined and effective. It was what we needed at that time and no rewrite of history will change that for me.

But it went on too long. It was crushingly dull and actually embarrassing watching a once great club treating every point a prisoner and scratching at home against the likes of Rotherham. His time was up. Evans of course carries much of the blame for allowing the club to rot inside out.

Would Mick’s 2014/15 beat the current team? With Murphy having his golden season and Didzy in his prime, at the moment probably. But firstly the current team will improve and secondly I’d much rather watch McKenna’s exciting team. I watched MMs team out of go to the match habit, not love - especially in the last few seasons.

I said last Saturday that I thought they were the best side since since Burley’s team. An OTT view fuelled by the excitement of the day, but I genuinely think they will be.

Nailed it!

That’s it right there.

And if you want some stats… just look at the average attendance figures from the time.

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

What a ridiculous conflation, and borderline libellous! on 09:21 - Aug 20 with 2020 viewsMullet

What a ridiculous conflation, and borderline libellous! on 08:06 - Aug 20 by Dyland

McCarthy was ten times the manager Keane was. Jewell and Lambert have had some successes, but were beyond awful here (Evans take a bow as well), and in ITFC terms are not in the same dog sh1t strewn ball park as Mick. Hurst... er, lol... but again, Evans take a fooking bow and give us a jig.

For the record (and I can't believe I'm still having to write this), I thought Mick's time was up with his negative bollix philosophy long before he finally went.

It's so tedious some of our self-proclaimed experts can't just praise the good and support managers above their own sense of worth.

Hijacking this thread about how good things are with some of the rubbish we're reading here FFS

What a ridiculous conflation, and borderline libellous! on 10:03 - Aug 20 with 1928 viewsDyland

What a ridiculous conflation, and borderline libellous! on 09:21 - Aug 20 by Mullet

It's so tedious some of our self-proclaimed experts can't just praise the good and support managers above their own sense of worth.

Hijacking this thread about how good things are with some of the rubbish we're reading here FFS

Shut up Mick bummer.

But yeh you're right of course dear boy. Though, comparisons are always gonna happen on da forum innit. What has always bugged me is the polemical blinkers some fans seem to have, with no acknowledgement you can be critical of managers or players and even think they were sh1t but also see the good stuff as well, or at least the obstacles or challenges faced. I mean, Machers for example, presumably spouts the same bile in real life, so I can only surmise he's a massive unit and hard as nails, cos otherwise he'd be sparked out innit.

Badabing (n/t) on 10:40 - Aug 20 with 1844 viewsDyland

What a manager we have on 07:56 - Aug 20 by Churchman

What a ridiculous conflation, and borderline libellous! on 10:48 - Aug 20 with 1809 viewsDubtractor

What a ridiculous conflation, and borderline libellous! on 08:06 - Aug 20 by Dyland

Exactly this.

Mick did a decent Job for a bit, but should have gone a year earlier for all of our sakes, including his own. That last season, both the football and the souring relationship with the fanbase, has meant people forget the good stuff he did.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024