Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Bands you've never really heard the music of, but probably should 17:37 - Oct 2 with 5351 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

For me, Cream.

Me and Lady Dollers watched a documentary about Eric Clapton on Netflix last night and it made me realise I've barely heard any Cream (or those associated bands like The Yardbirds, Derek & The Dominoes etc.) which sounded like the sort of thing I'd like from the documentary.

I also thought that Eric Clapton was just an old, boring, MOR guitar-noodler, but the doc has shown me he was much more than that (he just came onto my radar at the wrong time).

So anyway, recommendations for where I should start with Cream (and the other bands)?

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

Bands you've never really heard the music of, but probably should on 17:41 - Oct 2 with 2815 viewsGuthrum

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Bands you've never really heard the music of, but probably should on 17:41 - Oct 2 with 2811 viewsMattinLondon

U2. I only really know a few of their songs. What I’ve heard I have liked, but for some reason I’ve never sat down and listened to them or even been curious enough to buy their albums.
Bands you've never really heard the music of, but probably should on 17:45 - Oct 2 with 2805 viewsfactual_blue

Fresh Cream is probably the best album. If you like improvised stuff, then the 16 minute live version of Toad (Ginger Baker's drum solo) is worth a listen.

However, for Clapton at his very, very best, look out the album from his time with John Mayall's Bluesbreakers; the so-called Beano album.

And then there's this....

Guitar duelling with the receontly-departed Robbie Robertson.
[Post edited 2 Oct 2023 17:58]

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Isn't he a massive racist..... on 17:48 - Oct 2 with 2801 viewsBloots

....who loves Enoch Powell?

Oh, and an anti vaxxer?

.....and pro fox hunting?

I'd avoid anything that might put cash in his pocket, personally.

Enduringly lovable, intelligent and thunderingly exquisite.

Bands you've never really heard the music of, but probably should on 17:49 - Oct 2 with 2786 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Bands you've never really heard the music of, but probably should on 17:41 - Oct 2 by Guthrum

That's actually what I've started with, so that was lucky!

Isn't he a massive racist..... on 17:51 - Oct 2 with 2784 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Isn't he a massive racist..... on 17:48 - Oct 2 by Bloots

....who loves Enoch Powell?

Oh, and an anti vaxxer?

.....and pro fox hunting?

I'd avoid anything that might put cash in his pocket, personally.

Funnily enough, they didn't mention any of this in the documentary.

Bands you've never really heard the music of, but probably should on 17:53 - Oct 2 with 2779 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Bands you've never really heard the music of, but probably should on 17:45 - Oct 2 by factual_blue

Fresh Cream is probably the best album. If you like improvised stuff, then the 16 minute live version of Toad (Ginger Baker's drum solo) is worth a listen.

However, for Clapton at his very, very best, look out the album from his time with John Mayall's Bluesbreakers; the so-called Beano album.

And then there's this....

Guitar duelling with the receontly-departed Robbie Robertson.
[Post edited 2 Oct 2023 17:58]

I think you've copied the URL rather than the link when you click "share" Facters. Maybe get a young person to show you.

Well seriously Dolly.... on 17:56 - Oct 2 with 2769 viewsBloots

Isn't he a massive racist..... on 17:51 - Oct 2 by The_Flashing_Smile

Funnily enough, they didn't mention any of this in the documentary.

....some of his "historical" comments are so bad that they wouldn't get past the swear filter on here.

I think he addressed an audience at one of his gigs in the 70's and it was properly outrageous racist stuff.

Like really, really bad.

Login to get fewer ads

Bands you've never really heard the music of, but probably should on 17:59 - Oct 2 with 2759 viewsfactual_blue

Bands you've never really heard the music of, but probably should on 17:53 - Oct 2 by The_Flashing_Smile

I think you've copied the URL rather than the link when you click "share" Facters. Maybe get a young person to show you.

Thank you for your display of rampant ageism. I've corrected my error myself, and even added some French subtitles for you.

balls

Well seriously Dolly.... on 18:04 - Oct 2 with 2754 viewsCoastalblue

Well seriously Dolly.... on 17:56 - Oct 2 by Bloots

....some of his "historical" comments are so bad that they wouldn't get past the swear filter on here.

I think he addressed an audience at one of his gigs in the 70's and it was properly outrageous racist stuff.

Like really, really bad.

Yeah Clapton is clearly a genius with a guitar in hand, had some personal tragedy which you wouldn't wish on anybody, but is an absolute wrong 'un in terms of his views.

It is a fairly tough qauestion in life these days when you really enjoy somebody's creative output but find them a really objectional twonk.

Roger Walters is another, I'll listen to Floyd but will never go near his own stuff for similar reasons.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

Bands you've never really heard the music of, but probably should on 18:05 - Oct 2 with 2748 viewsfactual_blue

Bands you've never really heard the music of, but probably should on 17:49 - Oct 2 by The_Flashing_Smile

That's actually what I've started with, so that was lucky!

And for something more off the wall

Bands you've never really heard the music of, but probably should on 18:06 - Oct 2 with 2746 viewsBlueBoots

Knew and own their hit singles, but took a punt picking up Free's 3rd album at a record fair a few weeks ago; from the opening bars of the opening track (below), realised I'd got lucky Will definitely be hunting down more of their stuff.

Poll: My morning poo-poo took 3 flushes to clear. Who do I call?

I've just looked at his Wiki page.... on 18:07 - Oct 2 with 2746 viewsBloots

Well seriously Dolly.... on 18:04 - Oct 2 by Coastalblue

Yeah Clapton is clearly a genius with a guitar in hand, had some personal tragedy which you wouldn't wish on anybody, but is an absolute wrong 'un in terms of his views.

It is a fairly tough qauestion in life these days when you really enjoy somebody's creative output but find them a really objectional twonk.

Roger Walters is another, I'll listen to Floyd but will never go near his own stuff for similar reasons.

....it's actually worse than I remembered.

Awful stuff.

Bands you've never really heard the music of, but probably should on 18:08 - Oct 2 with 2742 viewsfactual_blue

Bands you've never really heard the music of, but probably should on 17:41 - Oct 2 by MattinLondon

U2. I only really know a few of their songs. What I’ve heard I have liked, but for some reason I’ve never sat down and listened to them or even been curious enough to buy their albums.

I've been searching for a decent U2 album for years, but I still haven't found what I'm looking for.

Bands you've never really heard the music of, but probably should on 18:10 - Oct 2 with 2738 viewsKeno

Dolly if you havent already can I suggest to check out Lindesfarne

[Post edited 2 Oct 2023 18:12]

Poll: IF TWTD was a constituency who'd you vote for?
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Bands you've never really heard the music of, but probably should on 18:22 - Oct 2 with 2656 viewsGlasgowBlue

Disraeli Gears is their best album. Wheels of Fire is a close second. The first album, Fresh Cream, is a mixed bag but has some good tunes on it like 'I'm So Glad' and 'I Feel Free'. The final album, Goodbye to Cream is another mixed bag but does have this George Harrison co-write which wouldn't have been out of Place on Abbey Road. Especially with Harrison playing guitar on it.

You'll like this.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: What will be announced first?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Well seriously Dolly.... on 18:25 - Oct 2 with 2645 viewsGlasgowBlue

Well seriously Dolly.... on 17:56 - Oct 2 by Bloots

Like really, really bad.

He blamed the drugs. Apparently.
[Post edited 2 Oct 2023 18:25]

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: What will be announced first?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Bands you've never really heard the music of, but probably should on 18:27 - Oct 2 with 2640 viewsMattinLondon

Bands you've never really heard the music of, but probably should on 18:08 - Oct 2 by factual_blue

I've been searching for a decent U2 album for years, but I still haven't found what I'm looking for.

Guess when you do it could well be a Beautiful Day.
Bands you've never really heard the music of, but probably should on 18:44 - Oct 2 with 2610 viewsDJR

The Grateful Dead are a group I am not sure I have ever heard a song of.
Bands you've never really heard the music of, but probably should on 18:46 - Oct 2 with 2604 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Bands you've never really heard the music of, but probably should on 18:22 - Oct 2 by GlasgowBlue

Disraeli Gears is their best album. Wheels of Fire is a close second. The first album, Fresh Cream, is a mixed bag but has some good tunes on it like 'I'm So Glad' and 'I Feel Free'. The final album, Goodbye to Cream is another mixed bag but does have this George Harrison co-write which wouldn't have been out of Place on Abbey Road. Especially with Harrison playing guitar on it.

You'll like this.

Yeah I particularly liked the second one.

Bands you've never really heard the music of, but probably should on 18:51 - Oct 2 with 2598 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Bands you've never really heard the music of, but probably should on 17:41 - Oct 2 by MattinLondon

Rattle & Hum is probably my favourite, followed by The Joshua Tree.

Bands you've never really heard the music of, but probably should on 19:02 - Oct 2 with 2566 viewsnoggin

Superb live album with Eric Slowhand Clapton.

Poll: If KM goes now, will you applaud him when he returns with his new club?

Bands you've never really heard the music of, but probably should on 19:24 - Oct 2 with 2523 viewsWeWereZombies

Bands you've never really heard the music of, but probably should on 18:44 - Oct 2 by DJR

The Grateful Dead are a group I am not sure I have ever heard a song of.

There are almost two Grateful Deads to choose from. Early Dead was psych, extended jam sessions almost at times, with some intriguing straightforward rocks songs thrown into the mix. You can lump them in with Jefferson Airplane, Love, The Doors, Quicksilver Messenger Service and a host of lesser known West Coast bands as part of a scene. Then in the early Seventies they switched into Americana for a couple of albums ('American Beauty' and 'Workingmen's Dead') which have aged much better and even become critically acclaimed by the cognoscenti in the field.

Poll: What was in Wes Burns' imaginary cup of tea ?

Bands you've never really heard the music of, but probably should on 19:38 - Oct 2 with 2483 viewsjaykay

if you liked cream with eric clapton the other 2 members came out of a blues /stroke jazz group called graham bond organisation. i liked their blues stuff with the harmonica but some was to jazzy for me

forensic experts say footers and spruces fingerprints were not found at the scene after the weekends rows

Bands you've never really heard the music of, but probably should on 19:44 - Oct 2 with 2435 viewschicoazul

Does anyone know what I should do

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024