Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Pitman to Pompey... 09:37 - Jul 13 with 10807 viewsitfcjoe

...sure I called that the other week. He'll have to take a pay cut but was apparently very home sick at times.

Not surprised he has to drop down to league 1 either

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Pitman to Pompey... on 10:15 - Jul 13 with 1963 viewsReuser_is_God

Pitman to Pompey... on 09:56 - Jul 13 by itfcjoe

It's not a full pay off - but why should he give up the earnings he has signed a contract for? It wouldn't be paid off in full - and sometimes it's done over longer periods of time

But if he signs a new contract with a new club why should his old contract be paid too?

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

Pitman to Pompey... on 10:15 - Jul 13 with 1967 viewsSWGF

Pitman to Pompey... on 10:14 - Jul 13 by itfcjoe

Any idea who?

Poll: What constitutes "too many" when it comes to a daily intake of custard creams?
Blog: Mirroring the Last Rites of Keane's Reign

Pitman to Pompey... on 10:16 - Jul 13 with 1956 viewsPrideOfTheEast

Pitman to Pompey... on 10:14 - Jul 13 by itfcjoe

Any idea who?

Unfortunately not.
Pitman to Pompey... on 10:17 - Jul 13 with 1956 viewsSWGF

Pitman to Pompey... on 10:15 - Jul 13 by Reuser_is_God

But if he signs a new contract with a new club why should his old contract be paid too?

Because he's owed that money. He could stay where he is and earn it.

There'll be an agreement between all three parties. We'll probably give him a lump sum and waive any fee, Pompey will give him a lump sum and a smaller salary.

Similar to how we got him from Bournemouth, I'd imagine.

Poll: What constitutes "too many" when it comes to a daily intake of custard creams?
Blog: Mirroring the Last Rites of Keane's Reign

Pitman to Pompey... on 10:17 - Jul 13 with 1959 viewsClausThomsen

Pitman to Pompey... on 10:07 - Jul 13 by itfcjoe

I don't understand how people get homesick in the UK - same with Jon Walters when he wanted to get back up to north West. It's such a small country.

Hopefully it frees up funds for the Icelandic fella as like look of him, longer summer goes on more likely it is we keep Bart....

Commuting in the UK sucks though whether you're a millionaire or not. I don't think homesick always means homesick though, sometimes it means that the player's fed up. I'd barely heard of players getting homesick until looking at McCarthy's career.

Totally agree about the Icelander, he looks a lot like Murphy did before we signed him. And Mick needs another Murphy.

Not confident about Bart at all - when someone signs a keeper that butterfly effect could be what does it, and that could happen anytime between now and September.
Pitman to Pompey... on 10:18 - Jul 13 with 1951 viewsitfcjoe

Pitman to Pompey... on 10:15 - Jul 13 by Reuser_is_God

Because we want him to sign a new contract, and he probably doesn't want to take a pay cut?

Pitman to Pompey... on 10:20 - Jul 13 with 1949 viewsitfcjoe

Pitman to Pompey... on 10:17 - Jul 13 by ClausThomsen

Commuting in the UK sucks though whether you're a millionaire or not. I don't think homesick always means homesick though, sometimes it means that the player's fed up. I'd barely heard of players getting homesick until looking at McCarthy's career.

Totally agree about the Icelander, he looks a lot like Murphy did before we signed him. And Mick needs another Murphy.

Not confident about Bart at all - when someone signs a keeper that butterfly effect could be what does it, and that could happen anytime between now and September.

I'd heard rumours that he's home sick from within a couple of months of him signing, and from when he was at Bristol City too - may be a bit harder as a Channel Islander.

I suppose biggest risk with Bart is a side with money lose their keeper to a serious injury for best part of the season and then all bets are off. Would be an absolute killer though

Pitman to Pompey... on 10:23 - Jul 13 with 1938 viewsFreddies_Ears

Pitman to Pompey... on 09:48 - Jul 13 by ElderGrizzly

Indeed. A three year deal there (given he's only 29) should be realistic and should limit our exposure.

More importantly, I hope this means we have one close to coming in to replace him? Now just 3 senior strikers at the club.

A 3-year deal at 7k a week would not leave us facing any kind of pay-off. He should do well there, and I wish him well.

I expect us to sign a decent replacement quite soon. Diego Costa might be up for a half-season loan, as he can't play for Athletico until Jan.
Login to get fewer ads

Pitman to Pompey... on 10:25 - Jul 13 with 1930 viewsElderGrizzly

Pitman to Pompey... on 10:07 - Jul 13 by itfcjoe

I don't understand how people get homesick in the UK - same with Jon Walters when he wanted to get back up to north West. It's such a small country.

Hopefully it frees up funds for the Icelandic fella as like look of him, longer summer goes on more likely it is we keep Bart....

I think it all depends if your family are with you, or close by.

Having worked across the UK and stayed in various places all week in hotels/apartments while my family is back here, it can be hard.

Add on being unhappy with not playing for Pitman or clashes with team mates I can see why he might feel that way
Pitman to Pompey... on 10:25 - Jul 13 with 1924 viewshoppy

Pitman to Pompey... on 10:23 - Jul 13 by Freddies_Ears

A 3-year deal at 7k a week would not leave us facing any kind of pay-off. He should do well there, and I wish him well.

I expect us to sign a decent replacement quite soon. Diego Costa might be up for a half-season loan, as he can't play for Athletico until Jan.

Has Costa done it at Championship level - if not, would he get in our side?

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

Pitman to Pompey... on 10:31 - Jul 13 with 1895 viewsMaySixth

Never quite convinced by Pitman.

Hope it works out for him at Pompey.

Poll: Ladapo or Hirst to start up front against Peterborough?

Pitman to Pompey... on 10:39 - Jul 13 with 1882 viewsFtnfwest

obviously looking to play at a higher level in a year or two
Pitman to Pompey... on 10:40 - Jul 13 with 1892 viewsKeaneish

Out: Berra, Coke, Best, Diagouraga, Digby, Moore (loan), Douglas, Lawrence, Williams, Emmanuel (loan)

In: Adeyemi, Garner, Celina

Retained: Huws, Spence

So how does this statement make any sense? Has the wage bill been slashed!?

MM: "We're "going to have to lose some before we go around signing too many others"

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

Pitman to Pompey... on 10:41 - Jul 13 with 1868 viewsolimar

Pitman to Pompey... on 09:46 - Jul 13 by itfcjoe

Portsmouth have got a fair bit of money to spend as still get the big crowds so hopefully it isn't anything too substantial - guess depends on length of deal he is signing there

Didnt Pompey get taken over by someone affiliated to Disney?
Pitman to Pompey... on 10:43 - Jul 13 with 1859 viewsolimar

Pitman to Pompey... on 10:14 - Jul 13 by SWGF

Bart will be this season's Murphy. Sold at the last knockings and we muddle on with a far poorer alternative.

Bookmark this.

Youre of course forgetting that we have already signed up Gerken to a new contract.

Oh. As you were.
Pitman to Pompey... on 10:43 - Jul 13 with 1847 viewsHarry_Palmer

Pitman to Pompey... on 09:46 - Jul 13 by ElderGrizzly

Because that's not how it works in football sadly and happens all the time.

We are effectively forcing him out, telling him he needs to find another club. He can sit here and pick up his £10k a week, or move to Pompey and pick up probably half that.

Situations like this, we tend to pay off the player which is effectively in lieu of the wages he would have earned here.

That situation is feasible but the truth is none of us actually know what he earns here or what Portsmouth are offering him.

Maybe they will match his salary, who knows? but to say we are having to pay off some of his contract to get rid is just pure speculation at this point so probably not worth worrying about.

The key thing is we are moving on a player that is not really good enough which should enable us to freshen up the squad further with a superior replacement.
Pitman to Pompey... on 10:43 - Jul 13 with 1845 viewshoppy

Pitman to Pompey... on 10:41 - Jul 13 by olimar

Didnt Pompey get taken over by someone affiliated to Disney?

Bit of a Mickey Mouse operation now, if so.

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

Ahem..... on 10:44 - Jul 13 with 1845 viewsPhilTWTD

Ahem..... on 09:42 - Jul 13 by Bloots

Pitman has to be bound for Portsmouth...... by Bloots 27 Jun 2017 9:53
....surely?

Bru will stay in France.

So there you go, I've sorted that issue.

I knew I might see this thread revived this morning! Well done Mystic Bloots.
Pitman to Pompey... on 10:45 - Jul 13 with 1842 viewsRadlett_blue

Pitman to Pompey... on 10:40 - Jul 13 by Keaneish

Out: Berra, Coke, Best, Diagouraga, Digby, Moore (loan), Douglas, Lawrence, Williams, Emmanuel (loan)

MM: "We're "going to have to lose some before we go around signing too many others"

Many of those you mentioned were either a complete waste of space & wages (Coke, Best, Digby, Douglas) short term loanees (Diagouraga, Williams) or not ready to play regularly (Moore, Emmanuel). Only Berra & Lawrence are holes that badly needed to be filled.
A smaller squad with less dross could also mean more opportunities for the likes of Dozzell.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Pitman to Pompey... on 10:48 - Jul 13 with 1823 viewsElderGrizzly

Those that have come in will be on a higher wage than those that left.

Of those listed leaving (Coke, Best, Digby, Moore), all were on very small wages too. Williams we only paid when fit.
Only Berra, Douglas and Lawrence would be considered decent earners and we've brought in 5 who will all be on very good money. Huws likely to be the highest earner at the club now.

Think Phil has covered it before, but our wage bill was getting very high (for us anyway) and over 100% of our entire income.
Pitman to Pompey... on 10:48 - Jul 13 with 1820 viewsReuser_is_God

Pitman to Pompey... on 10:18 - Jul 13 by itfcjoe

Because we want him to sign a new contract, and he probably doesn't want to take a pay cut?

I get that it happens & why it happens but I just think it's totally wrong.

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

Pitman to Pompey... on 10:48 - Jul 13 with 1821 viewsKieran_Knows

Let's sign all the dross back then shall we?

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

Not even sure what point.... on 10:52 - Jul 13 with 1812 viewsBloots

....you are trying to make here?

Anyone would think it was just an excuse to moan, but you aren't actually sure what you are moaning about?

Have you considered that Huws, Celina, Garner and Adeyemi could be on a higher wage than Douglas, Lawrence, Moore and Coke?

God forbid they could even be better players!

Elite Level Poster: Elite Level Supporter: Elite Level Human

Pitman to Pompey... on 10:53 - Jul 13 with 1800 viewsolimar

Pitman to Pompey... on 09:45 - Jul 13 by Reuser_is_God

Good riddance.

Quality finisher but not a lot else going for him & didn't suit us one bit.

Thing is, for me, his pedigree at this level is much greater than that of Garners.
Pitman to Pompey... on 10:53 - Jul 13 with 1802 viewsElderGrizzly

Pitman to Pompey... on 10:45 - Jul 13 by Radlett_blue

Many of those you mentioned were either a complete waste of space & wages (Coke, Best, Digby, Douglas) short term loanees (Diagouraga, Williams) or not ready to play regularly (Moore, Emmanuel). Only Berra & Lawrence are holes that badly needed to be filled.
A smaller squad with less dross could also mean more opportunities for the likes of Dozzell.

Absolutely. What we need is a higher quality, smaller squad with more cover by the young players as and when required.

More experience for the kids and a better, stronger core of a squad for us.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024