Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Why is Brexit still happening? 11:08 - Jul 13 with 82184 viewstcblue

Almost everyone involved has said it will be a catastrophe, and the only person still thinking it's a good idea is failed politician radio host Nigel Farage. Even Boris and POB got the jobs they were perhaps angling for out of it so won't be pro anymore.

I just don't get it. Yes, there was an election with a result - but was that really done properly with an informed electorate?

I don't really give a toss if this is dismissed as snowflaking. It is obvious that Brexit will make this country significantly worse off, and for some reason we still have our foot on the gas despite being ten feet away from the cliff edge.

If there were true principles and strong leaders in our politics (whichever colour) nowadays, we would be having conversations about not respecting the will of the 52% right now.

Everyone in politics wants to pull the parachute. I'm sure of it.
Why is Brexit still happening? on 12:09 - Jul 13 with 12018 viewsblue_oyster

Why is Brexit still happening? on 12:03 - Jul 13 by tcblue

Not sure I like your democracy.

I'm not sure you know what it is.

Conventional wisdom is the enemy of thought.
Poll: Who is the most hated contributor to this site?

Why is Brexit still happening? on 12:09 - Jul 13 with 12018 viewsSwansea_Blue

Why is Brexit still happening? on 12:05 - Jul 13 by giant_stow

It was the will of the people when the referendum took place, but what will that will be when we know the consequences?

Never underestimate the power of denial and the stiff upper lip in times of adversity

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Why is Brexit still happening? on 12:09 - Jul 13 with 12016 viewsblue_oyster

Why is Brexit still happening? on 12:08 - Jul 13 by BlueLikeJazz

Well you are replying to someone who proves every time he posts about historical topics that he wouldn't understand what real democracy was if it punched him in the face. And that's even before you consider the cognitive dissonance involved in believing a campaign where the leading lights were Farage and Johsnon is somehow some kind of populist uprising.
*rolls eyes*

Care to explain?

Why is Brexit still happening? on 12:11 - Jul 13 with 12005 viewsblue_oyster

Why is Brexit still happening? on 12:05 - Jul 13 by giant_stow

It was the will of the people when the referendum took place, but what will that will be when we know the consequences?

If only people thought of that when they voted New Labour in.

Why is Brexit still happening? on 12:13 - Jul 13 with 11992 viewstcblue

Oh yeah I forgot about the oyster guy
Why is Brexit still happening? on 12:19 - Jul 13 with 11974 viewsThePitBoss

Over a year on, and the remaintards still can't except the will of the British people.

We're leaving. Get over it, snowflake.
Why is Brexit still happening? on 12:23 - Jul 13 with 11943 viewsSwansea_Blue

Why is Brexit still happening? on 12:08 - Jul 13 by tcblue

It's pretty much human nature when there was a close binary vote. Yet another reason why the referendum was a bad idea which continues to have negative impacts.

I hope Cameron enjoys his shed

The massive rise in threats against MPs in recent years is a worry though, and I'm not sure it's all down to the binary nature of the referendum. Social media certainly a big part of this as people hide behind pseudonyms and don't (often) have to take responsibility for their words.

But then I still don't understand that. Most people on here are anonymous, yet don't feel the need to be total d1cks to each other. Some do obviously, but they're probably lost causes!

Why is Brexit still happening? on 12:24 - Jul 13 with 11938 viewsgiant_stow

Why is Brexit still happening? on 12:11 - Jul 13 by blue_oyster

If only people thought of that when they voted New Labour in.

right over my head - apologies.

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Login to get fewer ads

Why is Brexit still happening? on 12:25 - Jul 13 with 11937 viewsBluedandy

A) There was a referendum in which a majority voted to leave

B) Two parties committed to Brexit attracted approx 80%of vote in general election
Why is Brexit still happening? on 12:29 - Jul 13 with 11923 viewsBinner

Why is Brexit still happening? on 11:36 - Jul 13 by BlueLikeJazz

"52% voted to leave, so the government are required to respect their wishes"

Not actually true. Referendum was advisory only, and very very close. Besides which, if 52% of the population voted to have Nigel Farage stick cactuses up their arses, I wouldn't expect the government to do that either.

I think that 52% of the population sticking cacti up Farage is a better idea; I'm now in the SCUNFA party.

Poll: Last game of the season. You need to win. Would you rather be...

Why is Brexit still happening? on 12:36 - Jul 13 with 11885 viewsSwansea_Blue

Why is Brexit still happening? on 12:25 - Jul 13 by Bluedandy

A) There was a referendum in which a majority voted to leave

B) Two parties committed to Brexit attracted approx 80%of vote in general election

The recent election was in no way an endorsement of Brexit; campaigns weren't fought on those grounds. The referendum was though, so we crack on on that basis.

Why is Brexit still happening? on 12:51 - Jul 13 with 11848 viewsVic

Why is Brexit still happening? on 11:49 - Jul 13 by chicoazul

You're right of course, everyone in politics *does* want to pull the parachute. As does 80% of the media in the country. And rightly so. Part of the reason I voted remain is that I have no faith in berks like Davies at the negotiating table versus their counter parties.
Disaster is probably the wrong word for what will happen. It may turn out ultimately to be worse for the EU than for the UK economy if the UK follows through on its seeming-plan of basically becoming an enormous tax haven which will, by the way, lead to a defenestration of workers rights in the UK. But the vast majority of people in the UK will almost certainly be poorer.

I learnt a new word there. Thanks!

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

Why is Brexit still happening? on 12:53 - Jul 13 with 11837 viewsitfcjoe

Why is Brexit still happening? on 12:19 - Jul 13 by ThePitBoss

Over a year on, and the remaintards still can't except the will of the British people.

You don't realise how stupid you look/are

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Why is Brexit still happening? on 13:02 - Jul 13 with 11815 viewstcblue

I think I'd be even more angry and confused about Brexit if I had voted Leave. The country has been failed by this, and is continuing to be failed in the ridiculous 'negotiations'.

Yet, a lot of this is sidelined by both 'sides' still sniping and defending positions, rather than facing up to the fact that we are ALL going to be f'cked by this.
Why is Brexit still happening? on 13:19 - Jul 13 with 11798 viewsWeWereZombies

Why is Brexit still happening? on 12:51 - Jul 13 by Vic

I learnt a new word there. Thanks!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Defenestrations_of_Prague

Huh, stag parties, eh?

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Why is Brexit still happening? on 13:31 - Jul 13 with 11778 viewsvapour_trail

Why is Brexit still happening? on 11:43 - Jul 13 by chicoazul

Your last sentence entirely undermines the rest of your post.

Comment I heard down the pub last month.

"I voted out to show Obama where he could stick it"

I'd say xrayspecs is spot on.

Trailing vapour since 1999.
Poll: Should Gav and Phil limiti the number of polls?

Why is Brexit still happening? on 13:36 - Jul 13 with 11770 viewseireblue

Why is Brexit still happening? on 13:31 - Jul 13 by vapour_trail

Comment I heard down the pub last month.

"I voted out to show Obama where he could stick it"

I'd say xrayspecs is spot on.

what...the cactus thing was real then
Why is Brexit still happening? on 13:47 - Jul 13 with 11739 viewsWeWereZombies

Why is Brexit still happening? on 13:36 - Jul 13 by eireblue

what...the cactus thing was real then

That's why they need a wall...

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Why is Brexit still happening? on 14:44 - Jul 13 with 11692 viewsjaykay

Why is Brexit still happening? on 13:02 - Jul 13 by tcblue

I think I'd be even more angry and confused about Brexit if I had voted Leave. The country has been failed by this, and is continuing to be failed in the ridiculous 'negotiations'.

Yet, a lot of this is sidelined by both 'sides' still sniping and defending positions, rather than facing up to the fact that we are ALL going to be f'cked by this.

" all" i dont think gove, boris. duncan smith, farage etc will be f'cked by this. you and me and most of the country maybe

forensic experts say footers and spruces fingerprints were not found at the scene after the weekends rows

Why is Brexit still happening? on 14:57 - Jul 13 with 11669 viewsJ2BLUE

Why is Brexit still happening? on 11:57 - Jul 13 by chicoazul

Parliament has been given a vote on the final deal in 2 years. If they vote no, what then?

If parliament vote it down I would accept it.

The referendum was to leave. If we negotiate the best deal possible and it's crap; and our elected parliament vote it down then fair enough IMO.

As long as no new powers go to Brussels and we don't lose our rebates or opt outs.
[Post edited 13 Jul 2017 15:01]

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Why is Brexit still happening? on 15:06 - Jul 13 with 11649 viewstcblue

Why is Brexit still happening? on 14:44 - Jul 13 by jaykay

" all" i dont think gove, boris. duncan smith, farage etc will be f'cked by this. you and me and most of the country maybe

That's true, Boris has dual nationality and Farage has already worked out he's going to emigrate. Presumably IDS has a prime location place in Hades from where he commutes
Why is Brexit still happening? on 15:32 - Jul 13 with 11627 viewsBelvedereBrunswick

Why is Brexit still happening? on 12:19 - Jul 13 by ThePitBoss

17 million misled people is not representative of "the will of the British people".

The closer we get to 2019, the more people would vote for us to remain. Be that people who have turned 18 or people who have come to those senses.

Why did you vote to leave? £350m for the NHS or less Muslims?
Why is Brexit still happening? on 15:53 - Jul 13 with 11608 viewsGeoffSentence

Why is Brexit still happening? on 12:01 - Jul 13 by Guthrum

Which is quite a likely thing, given any deal (almost by definition) is unlikely to be both soft enough for the pro-Europeans and harsh enough for the hard-core Brexiteers. That's without people playing party political games on top.

Given all the different exit strategies, hard, soft, norwegian, swiss, efta, eea, wto rules or whatever, and given that a lot of people who would be happy with one but not another, it seems to me that of all the possible future relationships second have with the EU, the o e that enjoys most support is the o e we currently have.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Why is Brexit still happening? on 16:31 - Jul 13 with 11572 viewsbrazil1982

A couple of points if I may:

"Almost everyone involved has said it will be a catastrophe, and the only person still thinking it's a good idea is failed politician radio host Nigel Farage. "

What do you mean by almost everyone? Farage a failed Politician? No he is not. He was Leader of UKIP and fought for the UK to leave Europe. He achieved this.

"It is obvious that Brexit will make this country significantly worse off"

Is there research and evidence of this? How obvious is it?

"The closer we get to 2019, the more people would vote for us to remain."

How do you know this?
Why is Brexit still happening? on 16:36 - Jul 13 with 11560 viewsBelvedereBrunswick

Why is Brexit still happening? on 16:31 - Jul 13 by brazil1982

A couple of points if I may:

"Almost everyone involved has said it will be a catastrophe, and the only person still thinking it's a good idea is failed politician radio host Nigel Farage. "

What do you mean by almost everyone? Farage a failed Politician? No he is not. He was Leader of UKIP and fought for the UK to leave Europe. He achieved this.

"It is obvious that Brexit will make this country significantly worse off"

Is there research and evidence of this? How obvious is it?

"The closer we get to 2019, the more people would vote for us to remain."

How do you know this?

Hahahahahahahaha
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024