Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
I'm sanding my floorboards next weekend, any tips? 21:29 - Nov 10 with 2957 viewsGunnsAirkick

Heard some bad things about the massive amounts of dust and how knackering it is but I've booked the bloody thing now. It can't be that bad though, can it?
I'm sanding my floorboards next weekend, any tips? on 21:33 - Nov 10 with 2942 viewsBrixtonBlue

Use a sander.

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

I'm sanding my floorboards next weekend, any tips? on 21:35 - Nov 10 with 2935 viewsSamuelowen88

Very very dusty.

Try and tape up any doors to that room, tape up dust sheets round doors, wear a mask for sure.

Poll: England v Wales Score

I'm sanding my floorboards next weekend, any tips? on 21:39 - Nov 10 with 2932 viewsLord_Lucan

We hired one of those industrial things to sand our office, the amount of dust was incredible. Basically expect the worse and you won't be disappointed.

Edit. Lay a carpet.
[Post edited 10 Nov 2017 21:48]

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

I'm sanding my floorboards next weekend, any tips? on 21:42 - Nov 10 with 2924 viewsHerbivore

It's awful. I still get flashbacks over two years on. By the time you factor in hire costs, cost of sandpaper etc. it isn't even that much cheaper than getting a professional to do it. Enjoy!

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

I'm sanding my floorboards next weekend, any tips? on 21:51 - Nov 10 with 2890 viewssparks

I'm sanding my floorboards next weekend, any tips? on 21:39 - Nov 10 by Lord_Lucan

We hired one of those industrial things to sand our office, the amount of dust was incredible. Basically expect the worse and you won't be disappointed.

Edit. Lay a carpet.
[Post edited 10 Nov 2017 21:48]

Proper mask with filters not just those fabric or paper ones. Your lungs are worth the investment.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

I'm sanding my floorboards next weekend, any tips? on 21:55 - Nov 10 with 2874 viewsMaySixth

No

Poll: Ladapo or Hirst to start up front against Peterborough?

I'm sanding my floorboards next weekend, any tips? on 21:56 - Nov 10 with 2879 viewsLord_Lucan

I'm sanding my floorboards next weekend, any tips? on 21:51 - Nov 10 by sparks

Proper mask with filters not just those fabric or paper ones. Your lungs are worth the investment.

You're talking to the only man in China without a mask when bird flu first hit - but I would wear a mask in this doomed operation.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

I'm sanding my floorboards next weekend, any tips? on 22:49 - Nov 10 with 2824 viewsGunnsAirkick

I'm sanding my floorboards next weekend, any tips? on 21:42 - Nov 10 by Herbivore

It's awful. I still get flashbacks over two years on. By the time you factor in hire costs, cost of sandpaper etc. it isn't even that much cheaper than getting a professional to do it. Enjoy!

FFS, seemed like a good idea the other day. I said perhaps we should get carpets but I was voted down. Think I'll take Lucan's advice. Maybe it'll be fun (bet a beer will taste good after)?
Login to get fewer ads

I'm sanding my floorboards next weekend, any tips? on 22:55 - Nov 10 with 2811 viewsStokieBlue

Pay someone else to do it and go down the pub for the day.

If you don't this time you will the next time.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

I'm sanding my floorboards next weekend, any tips? on 23:33 - Nov 10 with 2770 viewsSarge

I thought I remembered a thread on this a long time ago.

Here you go: https://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/379910/page:1
I'm sanding my floorboards next weekend, any tips? on 23:57 - Nov 10 with 2751 viewsSwansea_Blue

I'm sanding my floorboards next weekend, any tips? on 21:33 - Nov 10 by BrixtonBlue

Use a sander.

And get someone else to do it! Best two pieces of advice going. End of.

But if he insists on having a go:

Bang any nails in first with a nail punch.

Fill holes.

Tape up any doors/openings to the rest of the house.

Sand.

Oh, and if you use a hand held rotary sander for the edges and corners, beware. They're very aggressive and will carve a valley out before you know it. Go easy with those.

Have a few beers chilled in the fridge for after - the dust dries you out.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

I'm sanding my floorboards next weekend, any tips? on 00:12 - Nov 11 with 2739 viewsGuthrum

Yes, it's dusty. Wear a mask. Don't sand the floor immediately after painting the walls (unless you like lots of vertical sandpaper).

You may need a smaller sander to do the edges.

Go with the grain, not across it (isn't a problem if it's one of the big rotary sanders, or if it's parquet).

It's not that hard work.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

I'm sanding my floorboards next weekend, any tips? on 08:20 - Nov 11 with 2631 viewsnoggin

Lay good quality laminate flooring on top.

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

I'm sanding my floorboards next weekend, any tips? on 10:07 - Nov 11 with 2568 viewshampstead_blue

Don't skimp on the kit you hire.

We did a room this year, 4m by 5m, and a corridor. Instead of renting a big sander, we bought a good hand sander and I got on my knees and did it by hand.

No tears and it wasn't that knackering. Kept the dist to a minimum.

Assumption is to make an ass out of you and me. Those who assume they know you, when they don't are just guessing. Those who assume and insist they know are daft and in denial. Those who assume, insist, and deny the truth are plain stupid. Those who assume, insist, deny the truth and tell YOU they know you (when they don't) have an IQ in the range of 35-49.
Poll: Best Blackpool goal

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024