Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Top pettiness from the EU 08:11 - Nov 24 with 8359 viewsGlasgowBlue

Who are banning our cities from competing for European city of Culture.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Top pettiness from the EU on 08:20 - Nov 24 with 6489 viewsdickie

They can do what they want, they have all the power - plus why would they give the title to a city outside of the EU with all the benefits it brings? Yet again the UK continues to shoot itself in the foot.
Top pettiness from the EU on 08:27 - Nov 24 with 6471 viewschicoazul

It isnt petty though is it. You can't blame them. It amazes me that people are surprised about it.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Top pettiness from the EU on 08:28 - Nov 24 with 6475 viewsGeoffSentence

The entry requirements for European City of Culture are that the city has to be from:

1. An EU member state
or
2. A member of the EEA
or
3. A country that is a candidate or potential candidate for EU membership

I am honestly surprised that anyone is surprised that UK cities would not be able to apply for selection after Brexit.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Top pettiness from the EU on 08:39 - Nov 24 with 6442 viewsPendejo

Top pettiness from the EU on 08:27 - Nov 24 by chicoazul

It isnt petty though is it. You can't blame them. It amazes me that people are surprised about it.

Hmmm

Don't they still want us to honour OUR commitments to them, quid pro quo why don't they honour their commitment to us vis a vis the European City of Culture thing.

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

Top pettiness from the EU on 08:41 - Nov 24 with 6438 viewsGlasgowBlue

Top pettiness from the EU on 08:28 - Nov 24 by GeoffSentence

The entry requirements for European City of Culture are that the city has to be from:

1. An EU member state
or
2. A member of the EEA
or

I am honestly surprised that anyone is surprised that UK cities would not be able to apply for selection after Brexit.

They changed the rules just a few weeks ago even though several British cities had spent ratepayers money on their bids. I’d say that is petty.

Taking aside the fact that it is geographically impossible to remove us from the continent of Europe, Istanbul was granted European city of culture. Turkey is not in the EU. When the spectre of an undemocratic Turkey being a candidate to join the EU we were told that there was no realistic chance of them being allowed to join.

So it is petty.

Iron Lion Zion

Top pettiness from the EU on 08:44 - Nov 24 with 6422 viewsPendejo

Top pettiness from the EU on 08:28 - Nov 24 by GeoffSentence

1. An EU member state
or
2. A member of the EEA
or

So being part of EEA is not on the table then? I guess that's why a Norwegian city has held it

And the Turkish city as an example of candidate membership.

uberima fides

Top pettiness from the EU on 08:47 - Nov 24 with 6415 viewsgiant_stow

Top pettiness from the EU on 08:41 - Nov 24 by GlasgowBlue

They changed the rules just a few weeks ago even though several British cities had spent ratepayers money on their bids. I’d say that is petty.

Taking aside the fact that it is geographically impossible to remove us from the continent of Europe, Istanbul was granted European city of culture. Turkey is not in the EU. When the spectre of an undemocratic Turkey being a candidate to join the EU we were told that there was no realistic chance of them being allowed to join.

So it is petty.

Even if you're right we (or you lot) brought it on ourselves.

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Top pettiness from the EU on 08:50 - Nov 24 with 6398 viewsPendejo

Top pettiness from the EU on 08:47 - Nov 24 by giant_stow

Even if you're right we (or you lot) brought it on ourselves.

I'd say a RESTROSPECTIVE rule change is pretty petty

uberima fides

Login to get fewer ads

Top pettiness from the EU on 08:50 - Nov 24 with 6391 viewsblue_oyster

The category is deliberately misleading, because what they mean is 'EU City of Culture', which would show how the EU is intolerant of non-EU affiliated European countries.

Conventional wisdom is the enemy of thought.
Poll: Who is the most hated contributor to this site?

Top pettiness from the EU on 08:52 - Nov 24 with 6382 viewsBOjK

Well what on earth did you think would happen? There's nothing surprising, petty or unreasonable about this.

We are leaving the EU. It is unsurprising that EU organised activities are going to exclude us.

Blog: [Blog] Keep Calm and Carry on (Or Why the Club is Not in Crisis from Top to Bottom)

Top pettiness from the EU on 08:54 - Nov 24 with 6358 viewsBOjK

Top pettiness from the EU on 08:50 - Nov 24 by Pendejo

I'd say a RESTROSPECTIVE rule change is pretty petty

They are changing which cities could enter last years European City of Culture?

Blog: [Blog] Keep Calm and Carry on (Or Why the Club is Not in Crisis from Top to Bottom)

Top pettiness from the EU on 08:57 - Nov 24 with 6343 viewsblueconscience

I am going to lose so much sleep over this!!!

Poll: What % of ST holders saying they won’t renew, will end up renewing regardless?

Top pettiness from the EU on 08:59 - Nov 24 with 6336 viewshomer_123

Top pettiness from the EU on 08:41 - Nov 24 by GlasgowBlue

So it is petty.

Well, it's a waste of money, along with spending money on Eurovision song contest, the Olympics or Commonwealth games etc.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Top pettiness from the EU on 09:00 - Nov 24 with 6327 viewsartsbossbeard

I think it's both brilliant and why would anything else be expected?

Screw you Brussels, we'll have our own one instead. Sponsored by Poundland and Hooch.

Anyone got a big red bus thing we could use for the parade ceremony?

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.
Poll: Raining in IP8 - shall I get the washing in?

Top pettiness from the EU on 09:01 - Nov 24 with 6321 viewschicoazul

Top pettiness from the EU on 08:39 - Nov 24 by Pendejo

Hmmm

Don't they still want us to honour OUR commitments to them, quid pro quo why don't they honour their commitment to us vis a vis the European City of Culture thing.

A multi-year financial commitment that we knowingly signed up for is not the same as having a beano for potless sculptors in Hull is it my guy.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Top pettiness from the EU on 09:01 - Nov 24 with 6317 viewsPendejo

Top pettiness from the EU on 08:54 - Nov 24 by BOjK

Like the awarding or World Cups & Olympics it's done in advance and it was "our turn"

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-tayside-central-42095477

It would appear they were due to award it this week to one of the applicants from the UK. Had they withdrawn it on submission of Article 52 notice I would have considered that fair enough.

uberima fides

Top pettiness from the EU on 09:02 - Nov 24 with 6316 viewsartsbossbeard

Top pettiness from the EU on 08:57 - Nov 24 by blueconscience

I am going to lose so much sleep over this!!!

*cancels plans to clean up the "Wine Rack" dockside*

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.
Poll: Raining in IP8 - shall I get the washing in?

Top pettiness from the EU on 09:04 - Nov 24 with 6324 viewsBlueBadger

So, let me get this straight, you're OK with the loss of science funding, utter incometentce on the part of the UK negotiation team wit concurrent costing up to really vile regimes across the world, the complete and total drying up of EU nurse recruitment, potential loss of information sharing on criminal and terror suspects and decades of predicted economic stagnation but someone not building a sculpture that resembles an upturned rubbish bin on a roundabout in Milton Keynes is bad?
[Post edited 24 Nov 2017 9:11]

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Top pettiness from the EU on 09:14 - Nov 24 with 6252 viewsGlasgowBlue

Top pettiness from the EU on 08:54 - Nov 24 by BOjK

Pedantic Europhile alert

Iron Lion Zion

Top pettiness from the EU on 09:14 - Nov 24 with 6247 viewsGlasgowBlue

Top pettiness from the EU on 08:52 - Nov 24 by BOjK

Well what on earth did you think would happen? There's nothing surprising, petty or unreasonable about this.

We are leaving the EU. It is unsurprising that EU organised activities are going to exclude us.

When are Turkey joining the EU?

Iron Lion Zion

Top pettiness from the EU on 09:17 - Nov 24 with 6242 viewsBlueinBrum

Honestly the mind boggles. There is nothing petty about this, it is entirely logical.

This is the future that you voted for. Moaning Brexiters need to GET OVER IT, this is the will of the people etc etc.
Top pettiness from the EU on 09:18 - Nov 24 with 6224 viewsvapour_trail

There nothing petty about it.

Trailing vapour since 1999.
Poll: Should Gav and Phil limiti the number of polls?

Top pettiness from the EU on 09:19 - Nov 24 with 6226 viewsGlasgowBlue

Top pettiness from the EU on 09:04 - Nov 24 by BlueBadger

So, let me get this straight, you're OK with the loss of science funding, utter incometentce on the part of the UK negotiation team wit concurrent costing up to really vile regimes across the world, the complete and total drying up of EU nurse recruitment, potential loss of information sharing on criminal and terror suspects and decades of predicted economic stagnation but someone not building a sculpture that resembles an upturned rubbish bin on a roundabout in Milton Keynes is bad?
[Post edited 24 Nov 2017 9:11]

Yes I said all of that. You still haven’t replied to the nonse you posted about NHS worker numbers being down despite me posting the figures showing they are up.

Any chance of a reply to that. Then we can get into how you don’t need to be an EU member for science funding.

Iceland
Norway
Albania
Bosnia and Herzegovina
the former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia
Montenegro
Serbia
Turkey
Israel
Moldova
Switzerland (partial association, see below)
Faroe Islands
Ukraine
Tunisia
Georgia

http://ec.europa.eu/research/participants/data/ref/h2020/grants_manual/hi/3cpart

The 3 countries with the greatest funding per head of population from Horizon 2020 are non-EU: Iceland, Norway and Switzerland. The country with the most project coordinators per head of population is Iceland.

https://ec.europa.eu/programmes/horizon2020/

Iron Lion Zion

Top pettiness from the EU on 09:19 - Nov 24 with 6223 viewsMattinLondon

Top pettiness from the EU on 09:14 - Nov 24 by GlasgowBlue

When are Turkey joining the EU?

I thought that officially Turkey are still a candidate country for EU membership - hence why their cities are still eligible for this award.

Maybe the UK should only have been excluded when it had officially left the EU
Top pettiness from the EU on 09:25 - Nov 24 with 6173 viewsGlasgowBlue

Top pettiness from the EU on 09:19 - Nov 24 by MattinLondon

I thought that officially Turkey are still a candidate country for EU membership - hence why their cities are still eligible for this award.

Maybe the UK should only have been excluded when it had officially left the EU

Indeed. Juncker has said Turkey are not joining the EU any time soon. We haven’t concluded what our future relationship will be with the EU. May could blink first and do a Norway style deal.

Iron Lion Zion

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024