Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Coffee pod machines 16:21 - Dec 5 with 16053 viewsBent_double

I'm thinking about getting one of these, but with so many out there it's difficult to know what's the best value for money.

The Tassimo by Bosch Caddy T75 gets really good reviews on Argos, anyone got one of those, or recommend a better one?

What's the deal with the pods/discs with most of these, do you have to buy the proper ones, or are 3rd party ones OK (Lidl/Aldi are now selling them I think)?

Poll: So what do we think will happen with MM and the Aston Villa job?

Coffee pod machines on 16:25 - Dec 5 with 10370 viewshoppy

Check on which can be recycled as there is a lot of waste for each cup with the plastic pods - some of the coffees like capuccino etc can use 2 pods per drink, so keep that in mind with your research.

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

Coffee pod machines on 16:31 - Dec 5 with 10350 viewsBent_double

Coffee pod machines on 16:25 - Dec 5 by hoppy

Check on which can be recycled as there is a lot of waste for each cup with the plastic pods - some of the coffees like capuccino etc can use 2 pods per drink, so keep that in mind with your research.

Really? That's interesting, didn't know that.

I guess with most of these things, they make the price of the machine relatively cheap, but once you've bought it, you're stuck with buying their really expensive consumables.

Coffee pod machines on 16:31 - Dec 5 with 10350 viewshype313

Coffee pod machines on 16:31 - Dec 5 by Bent_double

Really? That's interesting, didn't know that.

I guess with most of these things, they make the price of the machine relatively cheap, but once you've bought it, you're stuck with buying their really expensive consumables.

Which leads me to say, buy a bean to cup machine, more expensive initially but cheaper in the long run and nicer coffee.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Coffee pod machines on 17:33 - Dec 5 with 10273 viewsWeWereZombies

Coffee pod machines on 16:31 - Dec 5 by hype313

Which leads me to say, buy a bean to cup machine, more expensive initially but cheaper in the long run and nicer coffee.

Or just be normal and get a filter machine or cafetiere and buy some ground coffee so that you have a sustainable machine, aren't ripped off for your consumables and don't degrade our planet...and have coffee that tastes like coffee to boot!

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Coffee pod machines on 17:37 - Dec 5 with 10258 viewsDubtractor

Coffee pod machines on 16:25 - Dec 5 by hoppy

Yeah, those things are really bad for creating waste.

Buy an espresso machine with a steamer and make much nicer coffee into the bargain. I've got one of these and it is great.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Coffee pod machines on 17:41 - Dec 5 with 10247 viewsBent_double

Well, yes I guess you're right, but what these machines do give you is speed, convenience and a variety that you don't get with a standard coffee machine.

Coffee pod machines on 17:42 - Dec 5 with 10238 viewsBent_double

Coffee pod machines on 17:37 - Dec 5 by Dubtractor

Yeah, those things are really bad for creating waste.

Buy an espresso machine with a steamer and make much nicer coffee into the bargain. I've got one of these and it is great.

How much is one of those?

Coffee pod machines on 17:43 - Dec 5 with 10239 viewsFrowsyArmLarry

Mine ended up in a cupboard within three months. A cafetière or simply using carte noir instant was better
Login to get fewer ads

Coffee pod machines on 17:45 - Dec 5 with 10229 viewsWeWereZombies

Coffee pod machines on 17:42 - Dec 5 by Bent_double

You can pick up a cafetiere or filter machine in a charity shop for £5-£10 you know

Coffee pod machines on 17:46 - Dec 5 with 10232 viewsipswich78

Coffee pod machines on 17:33 - Dec 5 by WeWereZombies

Or just be normal and get a filter machine or cafetiere and buy some ground coffee so that you have a sustainable machine, aren't ripped off for your consumables and don't degrade our planet...and have coffee that tastes like coffee to boot!

Filter Coffee isn't proper Coffee though... Proper Coffee has to come with pressure i.e. via a Vean to Cup or Espresso machine.

Going back to the OP. I used to have a pod machine - but as pointed out you are then stuck with it and their own coffee. They are hugely impactful on the environment. I then upgraded to a bean to cup machine - initial outlay a lot higher but on-going Coffee on a per cup basis is considerably cheaper. Also, have the choice and flexibility on what beans to go for.

The internet. Giving idiots a voice since 1982.
Poll: The 'Cornetto' Trilogy. Which film is your number one?

Coffee pod machines on 17:48 - Dec 5 with 10225 viewsKBsSocks

Got one of these, and it makes great coffees of all types:
http://www.trustedreviews.com/reviews/aldi-ambiano-espresso-maker

and you're not creating loads of plastic waste and stuck to the pods and coffee selection of your manufacturer.

Pods / machines are like printers - hardware cheap, consumables ridiculous.

Poll: Are Phil and Gav doing a great job re-TWTD ?
Blog: Comparison Time Again

Coffee pod machines on 17:50 - Dec 5 with 10215 viewsWeWereZombies

Coffee pod machines on 17:46 - Dec 5 by ipswich78

Filter Coffee isn't proper Coffee though... Proper Coffee has to come with pressure i.e. via a Vean to Cup or Espresso machine.

Going back to the OP. I used to have a pod machine - but as pointed out you are then stuck with it and their own coffee. They are hugely impactful on the environment. I then upgraded to a bean to cup machine - initial outlay a lot higher but on-going Coffee on a per cup basis is considerably cheaper. Also, have the choice and flexibility on what beans to go for.

Filter coffee isn't proper coffee but Tassimo coffee is? You have got to be kidding...

Coffee pod machines on 17:51 - Dec 5 with 10210 viewsipswich78

Coffee pod machines on 17:50 - Dec 5 by WeWereZombies

Filter coffee isn't proper coffee but Tassimo coffee is? You have got to be kidding...

Good point, wasn't implying I was a fan of it - just saying that Coffee ideally needs some form of pressure. Whilst I am not a fan of Tassimo coffee at least it has the right intentions with the way the machine work!

The internet. Giving idiots a voice since 1982.
Poll: The 'Cornetto' Trilogy. Which film is your number one?

Coffee pod machines on 17:54 - Dec 5 with 10204 viewsDubtractor

Coffee pod machines on 17:42 - Dec 5 by Bent_double

Think I paid about £150.

You can get loads of choice too easily enough, eg on Ipswich market there is an Ipswich coffee roaster who sells about 25 different types of coffee beans from origins all over the word.

Just my opinion, but every coffee I've had from a pod machine has been a bit meh.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Coffee pod machines on 18:01 - Dec 5 with 10188 viewsWeWereZombies

Coffee pod machines on 17:51 - Dec 5 by ipswich78

Good point, wasn't implying I was a fan of it - just saying that Coffee ideally needs some form of pressure. Whilst I am not a fan of Tassimo coffee at least it has the right intentions with the way the machine work!

Yeh, yeh, yeh - top trolling, well done. If you are really serious about coffee you are going to buy unroasted beans and then roast them in small quantities for a few days supply. Everything else is fiddling around the edges but who has the time and patience for roasting beans? I do at least grind beans bought ready roasted and vary the fineness according to use, somedays I use the filter machine, somedays a little espresso pot, somedays instant so I can appreciate the other days...and somedays I pay £2 or £3 for the bland stuff at cafes with feck off noisy machines.
[Post edited 5 Dec 2017 18:07]

Coffee pod machines on 18:43 - Dec 5 with 10125 viewshype313

Coffee pod machines on 17:33 - Dec 5 by WeWereZombies

Er a bag of beans is the same price as ground coffee, and how are beans less environmentally friendly than ground coffee?

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Coffee pod machines on 18:57 - Dec 5 with 10102 viewsBent_double

Mmmm, I'm sensing a lot of negativity re the pod machines. I'd heard about the environmental impact with the pods, other than that I guess they're just style over substance.

I do like my coffee, but usually make do with standard filter coffee at home, so just wanted to see if anyone recommended the pods....clearly not so far!

Maybe I'll reconsider and look at one of the low-end espresso machines instead.

Thanks for all the replies though.

Coffee pod machines on 19:21 - Dec 5 with 10077 viewshampstead_blue

My sister in law has one and they taste awful.

A number of reasons why NOT;
1) Limited choice of coffee
2) Cost
3) Environmental impact
4 Taste

This is what we use;

https://lovemycoffeecup.com/top-10-best-stovetop-coffee-percolators/

https://lovemycoffeecup.com/buying-guides/coffee-grinders/

We have had our stove top for longer than I can remember. We do buy a new grinder each two or three years. £45 gets a good one.

You also can buy whole beans from anywhere so choice is epic. We get beans from all over the world. Just google 'coffee beans (and a country)' and you will find small suppliers happy to send you their love and coffee.

I beg you NOT to buy one. The cost of a stove top is so much cheaper and the taste is infinitely better.

The only consumable with the stove top is the gasket. Buy a packet of three and they last to years.

Assumption is to make an ass out of you and me. Those who assume they know you, when they don't are just guessing. Those who assume and insist they know are daft and in denial. Those who assume, insist, and deny the truth are plain stupid. Those who assume, insist, deny the truth and tell YOU they know you (when they don't) have an IQ in the range of 35-49.
Poll: Best Blackpool goal

Coffee pod machines on 20:32 - Dec 5 with 10004 viewsJohnny_Boy

Coffee pod machines on 18:57 - Dec 5 by Bent_double

Mmmm, I'm sensing a lot of negativity re the pod machines. I'd heard about the environmental impact with the pods, other than that I guess they're just style over substance.

I do like my coffee, but usually make do with standard filter coffee at home, so just wanted to see if anyone recommended the pods....clearly not so far!

A friend had one many years ago. They'd grown a bit tired of the branded pods (and wanted to create less waste & save money).

So they picked up a re-usable pod cartridge (£4 for 2). It's made of nylon & plastic. You simply fill the pod with your own ground coffee. Put it in the machine. Fill machine with water. Press button.
Out comes your coffee.

Then just empty the pod out, wash, re-use.

Just buy a selection of different strength coffees & have when you desire.

If you are going to go down that route, you might as well just buy a second-hand machine from Gumtree.
[Post edited 5 Dec 2017 20:35]
Coffee pod machines on 20:39 - Dec 5 with 9995 viewsBluefish

Had a bosch Tassimo for years and had good use but never use it now. I prefer proper milk opposed to the stuff in the pods. I want a real coffee machine and milk steamer like the shops have.

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

Coffee pod machines on 20:45 - Dec 5 with 9973 viewsBackToRussia

Coffee pod machines on 17:41 - Dec 5 by Bent_double

Well, yes I guess you're right, but what these machines do give you is speed, convenience and a variety that you don't get with a standard coffee machine.

Don't be lazy. Any coffee machine is quick.

TWTD CP. Evans Out.
Poll: Neil Young or Lynyrd Skynyrd - there is no middle ground.

Coffee pod machines on 21:54 - Dec 5 with 9890 viewsWeWereZombies

Coffee pod machines on 18:43 - Dec 5 by hype313

Er a bag of beans is the same price as ground coffee, and how are beans less environmentally friendly than ground coffee?

The degrading of the planet bit was aimed at the Tassimo etc., the advantage of beans over ready ground is freshness.

Coffee pod machines on 00:05 - Dec 6 with 9796 viewsHARRY10

Picked up two off fleabay for less than £25 each - one never used !

I'm sure after Xmas they'll be loads - check out what is about and what the sales go for

A trick with the pods is that you can simply refill them quite easily - depends on how much money you want to save and whether you want you own fresh ground - check out youtube

DON'T buy new, you won't get the money's worth back, thats why so many are for sale as folk coughed out £100 plus some while back and now want some money back
Coffee pod machines on 08:51 - Dec 6 with 9645 viewsNo9

Agreed but you do need bottled water (in our area at least) to make taste good unless you spend an awful lot of money for a machine with proper water filters
Coffee pod machines on 08:55 - Dec 6 with 9645 viewsSaleAway

Coffee pod machines on 18:57 - Dec 5 by Bent_double

Just for another point of view. I have a Nespresso machine. Love its flexibility, ease of use, and coffee making ability. I've been through cafetieres, stove top espresso makers , and a cheap proper steam espresso job, and this is the only thing that works for me. I don't drink a huge amount of coffee, so the consumables cost isn't too bad for me, and I get a much fresher coffee, than I would with buying fresh coffee, which I never actually used.

The only other thing that I've come across coffee wise is the Aeropress, which is brilliant. I have one for camping, and a load of people that I know have them at work, as a way of getting a decent coffee where you don't have normal facilities.

http://www.aeropress.co.uk/

Poll: Which is less impressive?
Blog: Phoenix From the Flames

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024