Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
US will 'take names of those who vote to reject Jerusalem recognition' 14:15 - Dec 20 with 7372 viewsgiant_stow

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/dec/20/us-take-names-united-nations-vot

Hopefully the rest of the world will stick together on this.

And just to devalue anything I ever post again (like there was any left), the US ambassador could have a nibble if she was really nice and polite about it.

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

US will 'take names of those who vote to reject Jerusalem recognition' on 14:20 - Dec 20 with 6471 viewsBlueLikeJazz

“As you consider your vote, I encourage you to know the president and the US take this vote personally.

“The president will be watching this vote carefully and has requested I report back on those who voted against us,”

*boggles*

No, no, that doesn't sound sinister AT ALL.
US will 'take names of those who vote to reject Jerusalem recognition' on 14:21 - Dec 20 with 6462 viewsJ2BLUE

To be fair, they have a point. It is their embassy and while we might not agree, they can do what they want.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

US will 'take names of those who vote to reject Jerusalem recognition' on 14:27 - Dec 20 with 6438 viewsGlasgowBlue

US will 'take names of those who vote to reject Jerusalem recognition' on 14:21 - Dec 20 by J2BLUE

To be fair, they have a point. It is their embassy and while we might not agree, they can do what they want.

There aren't many bigger supporters of Israel's right to exist on this site than me, and I think that if you asked most people who don't particularly follow world events "what is the capital of Israel"? most would reply Jerusalem because of the historical connection to a Jewish homeland over many millennia, but Trump's decision to recognise Jerusalem as the capital of Israel id poorly timed and puts a two state peace process solution in severe jeopardy.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

US will 'take names of those who vote to reject Jerusalem recognition' on 14:33 - Dec 20 with 6427 viewsfooters

US will 'take names of those who vote to reject Jerusalem recognition' on 14:21 - Dec 20 by J2BLUE

That's true, but taking a look at the video further down the page, the ambassador seems to be conflating the two issues. No one can tell another state where to place their embassy, but that's completely different to recognising somewhere as a capital.

In the video she also goes on to say that it's 'scandalous' to suggest naming Jerusalem as the capital could endanger the region's peace process. Just goes to show how seemingly little Trump knows about the Middle East, or, more worryingly, that he seems to think it a positive step.

Likewise, the language throughout seems personal and vindictive. Not a great way to conduct diplomacy, though obviously normal in the way Trump likes to run things.

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

US will 'take names of those who vote to reject Jerusalem recognition' on 14:42 - Dec 20 with 6396 viewsJ2BLUE

US will 'take names of those who vote to reject Jerusalem recognition' on 14:33 - Dec 20 by footers

That's true, but taking a look at the video further down the page, the ambassador seems to be conflating the two issues. No one can tell another state where to place their embassy, but that's completely different to recognising somewhere as a capital.

In the video she also goes on to say that it's 'scandalous' to suggest naming Jerusalem as the capital could endanger the region's peace process. Just goes to show how seemingly little Trump knows about the Middle East, or, more worryingly, that he seems to think it a positive step.

Likewise, the language throughout seems personal and vindictive. Not a great way to conduct diplomacy, though obviously normal in the way Trump likes to run things.

Ah, I can't see the video at work, just the text.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

US will 'take names of those who vote to reject Jerusalem recognition' on 14:43 - Dec 20 with 6396 viewsDarth_Koont

Read that as them talking first and foremost to the US voters. It makes everything much more understandable. After all they could send letters via their embassies if this was about giving a genuine and explicit warning.

I think Guthers made this point about America First being a communication strategy more than any real interest in getting out there and spreading US hegemony (as it has been in the past).

Pronouns: He/Him

US will 'take names of those who vote to reject Jerusalem recognition' on 15:04 - Dec 20 with 6352 viewsfactual_blue

US will 'take names of those who vote to reject Jerusalem recognition' on 14:20 - Dec 20 by BlueLikeJazz

“As you consider your vote, I encourage you to know the president and the US take this vote personally.

“The president will be watching this vote carefully and has requested I report back on those who voted against us,”

*boggles*

It also sounds to me as though she's doing her best to say 'this is nothing to do with me. I am so, so sorry.'

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

US will 'take names of those who vote to reject Jerusalem recognition' on 15:26 - Dec 20 with 6332 viewsjontysnut

Don't tell him Pike!
Login to get fewer ads

US will 'take names of those who vote to reject Jerusalem recognition' on 15:55 - Dec 20 with 6303 viewsGeoffSentence

US will 'take names of those who vote to reject Jerusalem recognition' on 14:20 - Dec 20 by BlueLikeJazz

*boggles*

It is kind of a "I know where you live" moment isn't it.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

US will 'take names of those who vote to reject Jerusalem recognition' on 16:10 - Dec 20 with 6287 viewsElderGrizzly

US will 'take names of those who vote to reject Jerusalem recognition' on 14:33 - Dec 20 by footers

Absolutely. From our FCO perspective, the US can do whatever they like with their embassy and that is our line.

However, when that is accompanied with rhetoric that undermines any hope of peace there, we have to stand up against him.

Plus, Trump is only watching if Fox News run it, so think we’ll be safe! :)
[Post edited 20 Dec 2017 16:10]
US will 'take names of those who vote to reject Jerusalem recognition' on 16:11 - Dec 20 with 6282 viewsElderGrizzly

US will 'take names of those who vote to reject Jerusalem recognition' on 15:04 - Dec 20 by factual_blue

It also sounds to me as though she's doing her best to say 'this is nothing to do with me. I am so, so sorry.'

Not at all. She is a mini-Trump. Detestable woman
US will 'take names of those who vote to reject Jerusalem recognition' on 16:14 - Dec 20 with 6279 viewsBlueBadger

*boggles*

He sounds as though he's one step away from sending them all their wedding photos by email.
[Post edited 20 Dec 2017 17:49]

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

US will 'take names of those who vote to reject Jerusalem recognition' on 17:02 - Dec 20 with 6221 viewsfactual_blue

US will 'take names of those who vote to reject Jerusalem recognition' on 16:11 - Dec 20 by ElderGrizzly

In that case, Ulla is welcome to her.

On an allied note, was it you told Irish officials to ignore everything boris says?

US will 'take names of those who vote to reject Jerusalem recognition' on 17:03 - Dec 20 with 6220 viewsgiant_stow

US will 'take names of those who vote to reject Jerusalem recognition' on 16:11 - Dec 20 by ElderGrizzly

Hey don't be mean to my lovely! In sure she's just loyal to her boss.

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

US will 'take names of those who vote to reject Jerusalem recognition' on 17:05 - Dec 20 with 6216 viewsfactual_blue

US will 'take names of those who vote to reject Jerusalem recognition' on 17:03 - Dec 20 by giant_stow

Hey don't be mean to my lovely! In sure she's just loyal to her boss.

I bet he's touched her inappropriately.

US will 'take names of those who vote to reject Jerusalem recognition' on 17:07 - Dec 20 with 6216 viewsgiant_stow

US will 'take names of those who vote to reject Jerusalem recognition' on 17:05 - Dec 20 by factual_blue

I bet he's touched her inappropriately.

Now you're just teasing me.

US will 'take names of those who vote to reject Jerusalem recognition' on 17:18 - Dec 20 with 6205 viewsfactual_blue

US will 'take names of those who vote to reject Jerusalem recognition' on 17:07 - Dec 20 by giant_stow

Now you're just teasing me.

I bet that's what she said to him.

US will 'take names of those who vote to reject Jerusalem recognition' on 19:18 - Dec 20 with 6131 viewsClapham_Junction

And now Trump's threatening to cut aid to anyone who votes against them.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-42431095

It seems he is bringing his business bullying tactics to international politics :(
US will 'take names of those who vote to reject Jerusalem recognition' on 19:21 - Dec 20 with 6123 viewsGlasgowBlue

US will 'take names of those who vote to reject Jerusalem recognition' on 19:18 - Dec 20 by Clapham_Junction

It seems he is bringing his business bullying tactics to international politics :(

That's no surprise really. It's the nature of the beast.

Iron Lion Zion

US will 'take names of those who vote to reject Jerusalem recognition' on 19:29 - Dec 20 with 6107 viewsgiant_stow

US will 'take names of those who vote to reject Jerusalem recognition' on 19:18 - Dec 20 by Clapham_Junction

Bully boy tactics like that will only speed up the process of china becoming no. 1.

US will 'take names of those who vote to reject Jerusalem recognition' on 19:36 - Dec 20 with 6092 viewsGlasgowBlue

US will 'take names of those who vote to reject Jerusalem recognition' on 19:29 - Dec 20 by giant_stow

Bully boy tactics like that will only speed up the process of china becoming no. 1.

It's ok. EG has assured us Trump will be gone by Christmas.

Iron Lion Zion

US will 'take names of those who vote to reject Jerusalem recognition' on 19:37 - Dec 20 with 6092 viewsgiant_stow

US will 'take names of those who vote to reject Jerusalem recognition' on 19:36 - Dec 20 by GlasgowBlue

It's ok. EG has assured us Trump will be gone by Christmas.

I missed that - how exciting!

US will 'take names of those who vote to reject Jerusalem recognition' on 19:37 - Dec 20 with 6092 viewsGuthrum

US will 'take names of those who vote to reject Jerusalem recognition' on 14:27 - Dec 20 by GlasgowBlue

There aren't many bigger supporters of Israel's right to exist on this site than me, and I think that if you asked most people who don't particularly follow world events "what is the capital of Israel"? most would reply Jerusalem because of the historical connection to a Jewish homeland over many millennia, but Trump's decision to recognise Jerusalem as the capital of Israel id poorly timed and puts a two state peace process solution in severe jeopardy.

That's the thing for me, it's carelessly throwing away, or at least gravely risking, a couple of decades worth of the peace process. For no particular gain - except in terms of Trump's domestic fanbase.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

US will 'take names of those who vote to reject Jerusalem recognition' on 19:42 - Dec 20 with 6081 viewsBluesquid

US will 'take names of those who vote to reject Jerusalem recognition' on 14:43 - Dec 20 by Darth_Koont

Read that as them talking first and foremost to the US voters. It makes everything much more understandable. After all they could send letters via their embassies if this was about giving a genuine and explicit warning.

I think Guthers made this point about America First being a communication strategy more than any real interest in getting out there and spreading US hegemony (as it has been in the past).

So apart from the US voters is there anyone else that benefits from this?
US will 'take names of those who vote to reject Jerusalem recognition' on 19:43 - Dec 20 with 6072 viewsGlasgowBlue

US will 'take names of those who vote to reject Jerusalem recognition' on 19:37 - Dec 20 by giant_stow

I missed that - how exciting!

The again JC said he would be Prime Minster by Christmas and that didn't happen either.

Iron Lion Zion

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024