Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Sheff Weds get their man 09:47 - Jan 6 with 6679 viewsunstableblue

http://www.skysports.com/share/11197018

Wouldn’t you just be really excited by this kind of story with Town??

Going for the Wagner effect but the club also has money. Baptism of fire against the blades on Friday night.

His opening his statements all include discipline and energy, but also ‘good football’ and ‘creativity’.

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

Sheff Weds get their man on 09:53 - Jan 6 with 5400 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

There would certainly be a hint of intrigue and even excitement, but at the same time I’d also be very wary

Ultimately, for every Wagner there is a Stale Solbakken, or quite possibly (hopefully!) a Daniel Farke

Obviously the same applies for any kind of manager - but I wouldn’t be getting over excited just because we’ve appointed someone foreign

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Sheff Weds get their man on 10:01 - Jan 6 with 5349 viewsstrikalite

Sheff Weds get their man on 09:53 - Jan 6 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

There would certainly be a hint of intrigue and even excitement, but at the same time I’d also be very wary

Ultimately, for every Wagner there is a Stale Solbakken, or quite possibly (hopefully!) a Daniel Farke

Obviously the same applies for any kind of manager - but I wouldn’t be getting over excited just because we’ve appointed someone foreign

Agree, you just can't tell, we all know how hard this league is, you need luck along the way that's for sure..
Sheff Weds get their man on 10:01 - Jan 6 with 5348 viewsHerbivore

Not sure I'd be hugely excited by appointing a foreign manager I've never heard of.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Sheff Weds get their man on 10:11 - Jan 6 with 5327 viewsJohnny_Boy

Sheff Weds get their man on 10:01 - Jan 6 by Herbivore

Not sure I'd be hugely excited by appointing a foreign manager I've never heard of.

So you know nothing about him then. Yet are still critical. It's just a bit odd.
Not a crappy dig at you, per se, but he's obviously well respected in Germany.
He's Dutch too, which is intriguing - as he might even call on some of that - rather than Wagner's pure Germanic slant.

Also, you can't tell me you wouldn't like to be wined & dined by the man at a fancy restaurant!
Just look at him!

I don't know anything about the man either, but anything is better than the tired manager merry-go-round that continually eek a living in English football. A new face is always good.
[Post edited 6 Jan 2018 10:18]
Sheff Weds get their man on 10:12 - Jan 6 with 5313 viewsSomethingBlue

This sounds exciting - you seem to know a fair bit about him too, so do tell us more about what makes him this good.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

Sheff Weds get their man on 10:17 - Jan 6 with 5268 viewsWD19

Their previous manager was in the departure lounge for weeks and they have taken 2 further weeks to appoint this chap. He might be good, he might not, but I seriously doubt this was 'their man' all along.
Sheff Weds get their man on 10:20 - Jan 6 with 5264 viewsGuthrum

The "Wagner effect" is exceedingly trendy at the moment. So far, only Huddersfield have got it to work.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Sheff Weds get their man on 10:24 - Jan 6 with 5241 viewsGarv

It's a risk, but you won't get anywhere without a bit of risk.

What should we do otherwise, trundle along as we are now and just expect things to change?

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

Login to get fewer ads

Sheff Weds get their man on 10:25 - Jan 6 with 5231 viewsJohnny_Boy

Sheff Weds get their man on 10:12 - Jan 6 by SomethingBlue

This sounds exciting - you seem to know a fair bit about him too, so do tell us more about what makes him this good.

In all fairness, he probably knows the same amount about him as you do about Andy Cole's kid.
Sheff Weds get their man on 10:29 - Jan 6 with 5207 viewsbrogansnose

Sheff Weds get their man on 10:20 - Jan 6 by Guthrum

The "Wagner effect" is exceedingly trendy at the moment. So far, only Huddersfield have got it to work.

It takes a broad set of circumstances to make it work and this trendy outlook does have the air of being the fast lane to promotion, if only !!! Personally I'd rather take a look at someone from a lower league who could get the team playing better football and have an eye for recruitment that doesn't cost GDP of an African nation.
Sheff Weds get their man on 10:32 - Jan 6 with 5195 viewsJohnny_Boy

Sheff Weds get their man on 10:24 - Jan 6 by Garv

What should we do otherwise, trundle along as we are now and just expect things to change?

I'd imagine that bloke has got a totally different outlook on tactics, formations, style & play - compared to MM.

A fresh outlook.

It might be successful - it might not. It might take 3 yrs to fully incorporate his beliefs, it might take 6months.

Nobody knows.

Yes, an appointment like his would excite me. Why would it not?!?!
[Post edited 6 Jan 2018 10:34]
Sheff Weds get their man on 10:33 - Jan 6 with 5183 viewsGuthrum

Sheff Weds get their man on 10:29 - Jan 6 by brogansnose

It takes a broad set of circumstances to make it work and this trendy outlook does have the air of being the fast lane to promotion, if only !!! Personally I'd rather take a look at someone from a lower league who could get the team playing better football and have an eye for recruitment that doesn't cost GDP of an African nation.

At Hudds it was part of a well-coordinated overall plan - which only just worked (coming down to penalties at the end of the play-offs). Without that properly-designed strategy, merely signing an obscure foreign manager is unlikely to be the answer.

Sheff Weds get their man on 10:38 - Jan 6 with 5159 viewsWestStanderLaLaLa

Sheff Weds get their man on 10:33 - Jan 6 by Guthrum

At Hudds it was part of a well-coordinated overall plan - which only just worked (coming down to penalties at the end of the play-offs). Without that properly-designed strategy, merely signing an obscure foreign manager is unlikely to be the answer.

Pens in the semi final too, against Sheff Wed! Sliding doors / fine lines etc.

Poll: Your favourite thing about THAT goal?

Sheff Weds get their man on 10:57 - Jan 6 with 5096 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Sheff Weds get their man on 10:24 - Jan 6 by Garv

Personally, I’d rather the risk we take is on a successful manager from the lower leagues, but I do agree with the wider point

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Sheff Weds get their man on 11:07 - Jan 6 with 5044 viewsHerbivore

Sheff Weds get their man on 10:11 - Jan 6 by Johnny_Boy

So you know nothing about him then. Yet are still critical. It's just a bit odd.
Not a crappy dig at you, per se, but he's obviously well respected in Germany.
He's Dutch too, which is intriguing - as he might even call on some of that - rather than Wagner's pure Germanic slant.

Also, you can't tell me you wouldn't like to be wined & dined by the man at a fancy restaurant!
Just look at him!

I don't know anything about the man either, but anything is better than the tired manager merry-go-round that continually eek a living in English football. A new face is always good.
[Post edited 6 Jan 2018 10:18]

As an actual adult I just find the idea that it's exciting to appoint someone I've never heard just because they are foreign to be very strange. I don't get your excitement over this, I find it weird.

Sheff Weds get their man on 11:12 - Jan 6 with 5023 viewsSomethingBlue

Sheff Weds get their man on 10:25 - Jan 6 by Johnny_Boy

In all fairness, he probably knows the same amount about him as you do about Andy Cole's kid.

I can't find a post where I claimed to know much about Andy Cole's kid.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

Sheff Weds get their man on 11:38 - Jan 6 with 4943 viewsJohnny_Boy

Sheff Weds get their man on 11:07 - Jan 6 by Herbivore

As an actual adult I just find the idea that it's exciting to appoint someone I've never heard just because they are foreign to be very strange. I don't get your excitement over this, I find it weird.

Wow. You've definitely had a humour bypass. Can't wait till MM leaves & we get the normal Herbivore back to TWTD.
Sheff Weds get their man on 11:40 - Jan 6 with 4922 viewsHerbivore

Sheff Weds get their man on 11:38 - Jan 6 by Johnny_Boy

Wow. You've definitely had a humour bypass. Can't wait till MM leaves & we get the normal Herbivore back to TWTD.

Was that another one of your 'joke' posts?

Sheff Weds get their man on 11:46 - Jan 6 with 4891 viewsJohnny_Boy

Sheff Weds get their man on 11:40 - Jan 6 by Herbivore

Was that another one of your 'joke' posts?

So, an appointment of a new manager, debuting in England, with fresh ideas, tactics, style of play & footballing beliefs WOULDN'T excite you?

I just struggle with your morose negative objections.

Just because you've never heard of somebody, doesn't mean they aren't well respected elsewhere.
Sheff Weds get their man on 11:51 - Jan 6 with 4879 viewsHerbivore

Sheff Weds get their man on 11:46 - Jan 6 by Johnny_Boy

So, an appointment of a new manager, debuting in England, with fresh ideas, tactics, style of play & footballing beliefs WOULDN'T excite you?

I just struggle with your morose negative objections.

Just because you've never heard of somebody, doesn't mean they aren't well respected elsewhere.

Sorry, was your original post a joke or not as you seem to now be reiterating the point I responded to? Is this new post also a joke? I'm not being negative, I just don't get the excitement over appointing an unknown manager just because they happen to be foreign. You run along and finish off that boner you seem to have popped over it though, each to their own.

Sheff Weds get their man on 11:52 - Jan 6 with 4869 viewsDarth_Koont

Sheff Weds get their man on 10:20 - Jan 6 by Guthrum

It occurred to me: which clubs in recent years have got closest to the Wagner effect? By beating the financial odds to make the top 6.

Ipswich in 2014/15
Swansea in 2010/11

Any more? I could easily be missing teams just because I presumed they spent more. And to be honest I'm not entirely sure whether Rodgers was carried over the line by a financial injection.

Looks a long shot either way. And while I don't think Mick is likely to repeat the same trick with us, there doesn't seem to be any connection to a particular type of manager.

Pronouns: He/Him

Sheff Weds get their man on 12:14 - Jan 6 with 4784 viewsTrequartista

Could turn out to be a Wagner, could turn out to be a Farke, but if he is successful, it makes the "well who would you appoint instead" argument redundant as i presume 99% of Wednesday fans would have never heard of him.

Poll: Who do you blame for our failure to progress?

Sheff Weds get their man on 12:19 - Jan 6 with 4750 viewsGuthrum

Sheff Weds get their man on 11:52 - Jan 6 by Darth_Koont

It occurred to me: which clubs in recent years have got closest to the Wagner effect? By beating the financial odds to make the top 6.

Ipswich in 2014/15
Swansea in 2010/11

Any more? I could easily be missing teams just because I presumed they spent more. And to be honest I'm not entirely sure whether Rodgers was carried over the line by a financial injection.

Looks a long shot either way. And while I don't think Mick is likely to repeat the same trick with us, there doesn't seem to be any connection to a particular type of manager.

While Huddersfield by no means broke the bank, they did sign more players than most people realise (including several on loan from big clubs, e.g. Aaaron Mooy, who went for £8m in the summer, Danny Ward).

For me the Wagner Effect (we may as well capitalise it, being a thing now) is about a club-wide strategy combining a decent, but unknown manager, a reasonable amount of transfer/wage spending and a PR/ticketing plan to get the fans along and onside. Which does require the owner to gamble a significant lump of cash, but is considerably more refined than the simple "buy your way to promotion" approach.

Sheff Weds get their man on 12:37 - Jan 6 with 4689 viewsJohnny_Boy

Sheff Weds get their man on 11:51 - Jan 6 by Herbivore

Sorry, was your original post a joke or not as you seem to now be reiterating the point I responded to? Is this new post also a joke? I'm not being negative, I just don't get the excitement over appointing an unknown manager just because they happen to be foreign. You run along and finish off that boner you seem to have popped over it though, each to their own.

He's not getting hired at Sheff Weds 'just because he's foreign' though.
The reasoning seems to be lost on you.

Maybe 5yrs of Mick has destroyed all the excitement in you.

I worry about you!
Sheff Weds get their man on 12:38 - Jan 6 with 4686 viewsbrogansnose

Sheff Weds get their man on 11:52 - Jan 6 by Darth_Koont

Ipswich in 2014/15
Swansea in 2010/11

Possibly Burnley first time around under Dyche ?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024