Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
**END THE MISERY** 12:58 - Jan 21 with 23699 viewsmadmouse1959

P 45 up the A 45.
[Post edited 22 Jan 2018 17:56]

shampoo dave

They are called speech marks, pal..... on 22:31 - Jan 21 with 6813 viewsKeaneish

They are called speech marks, pal..... on 21:59 - Jan 21 by Bloots

.....and I expect our views are fairly similar.

I'm just not as rabid, over bearing or irrational about them as you are.

I've hardly been rabid fella, I just called it a long time ago and been stuck in the same monotonous conversation loops since. Our views are similar yet my thoughts are irrational? There's that logic thing again.

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

(No subject) (n/t) on 23:06 - Jan 21 with 6782 viewsHerbivore

(No subject) (n/t) on 22:27 - Jan 21 by Keaneish

Claimed I knew more about football than MM!? Haha! Where on earth did you conjure that from? Load of absolute nonsense. Think you're tripping on that one.

I've had loads of chats with you on varying threads and only recently within the last year have you agreed it's time for MM to go. You were happy two seasons ago, not that it's a point scoring contest, we were all bound to get tired of him at some point as he does little to Ingratiate himself with fans.

A year ago was before last summer so thanks for acknowledging that I said Mick should go last summer. See, it wasn't that hard.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

(No subject) (n/t) on 23:33 - Jan 21 with 6753 viewsKeaneish

(No subject) (n/t) on 23:06 - Jan 21 by Herbivore

A year ago was before last summer so thanks for acknowledging that I said Mick should go last summer. See, it wasn't that hard.

I said within the last year. There's a big difference. We spoke after the Fulham game in April I think wasn't it? But, who cares? I'm not going to be one of those fans who want to point score after May when he goes. I'm just looking forward to watching football again and talking about football not the nonsense around it.

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

**END THE MISERY** on 23:39 - Jan 21 with 6747 viewsFreddies_Ears

**END THE MISERY** on 18:40 - Jan 21 by Ryorry

How many would you expect to have a few mill available?!

Plenty of people (incl me) have said they'd put a few hundred in towards a collective effort, and some of us are still shareholders.

I simply do not see where £5,000,000 every season is going to come from.

If someone stepped forward with that kind of commitment, then I am pretty sure ME would hand the club over. Until then, we are better off with ME.
**END THE MISERY** on 23:46 - Jan 21 with 6738 viewssotd78

As someone who has watched town over five decades I think that like many other fans I am both entitled and perhaps experienced enough to have a valid opinion. I don’t much like McCarthy. He clearly does not care much for us either. He is uncouth, rude, and wearyingly stubborn. However he is also part of an entire club infrastructure which he may or may not have helped build. A structure of coaches, youth recruitment, training and at times decent fire fighting. We may lose MM in the spring and with him may go several of his management and coaching set up. If so any new manager has to be carefully chosen. We are clearly not a club to buy our way upwards so we have to have a longer term plan. I believe that plan was outlined and is in its first full season. Be competitive whilst bringing in players from our development teams and lower levels. In my opinion we have been incredibly unlucky with injuries. But on our day we are competitive with nearly every team we have met. We need to be very sure that when we replace MM we choose wisely. Star turn coaches like Silva and others with no record of club development will be poor choices. Managers like, just as an example, Nigel Clough and others used to building things would be good choices. I don’t much care if MM goes or stays. Unless the owner changes or alters tack we may well just exchange dull efficiency for mediocre decline. Without investment or a fruition of long term planning we won’t go upwards I fear.

Blue shirts/white shorts - sotd78

**END THE MISERY** on 00:25 - Jan 22 with 6712 viewsTheBlueBarca

**END THE MISERY** on 13:00 - Jan 21 by No9

As I posted elsewhere how many poters on TWTD would put their hand in their pocket to 'rescue" (if that is the general view) ITFC?

Historically the clubs supporters have been it's biggest investors, we fill the ground, buy the shirts, the merch, the videos/DVD's, eat the food, drink the drink so i'd say we do our fair share as a collective.

Everyone on this forum is always wrong.
Poll: Should Tommy Smith be awarded a Testimonial at Ipswich?

**END THE MISERY** on 05:42 - Jan 22 with 6674 viewssotd78

**END THE MISERY** on 00:25 - Jan 22 by TheBlueBarca

Historically the clubs supporters have been it's biggest investors, we fill the ground, buy the shirts, the merch, the videos/DVD's, eat the food, drink the drink so i'd say we do our fair share as a collective.

Some of us bought shares in the club when Sheepshanks was in charge. Those worthless pieces of paper still reside in the hands of that loyal fan base. Of course Marcus Evans could have made any number of offers to buy back those shares but did not and has not. That is indicative in a way as to how he views the fans.
For the record a buy back could have taken and still could take many forms:
It could be a simple cash offer.
It could be an equity for loan swap. After all what is good for the big boys could be the same for the little ones.
It could be a discount off a season ticket for one year or over several years.

I gave the club just £200 back then. Not a lot but at the time a chunk of money my family could have used. My wife did not know at the time. She does now. That’s how much some of us cared. We did things secretly.

We are in a rich man’s game now. And the gamble that Marcus Evans made has not come off. Now he is stuck with a club needing money and he has no stomach for it. His £200 equivalent investment has failed and he seemingly won’t put in more. I don’t blame him. I wouldn’t add more either.

Blue shirts/white shorts - sotd78

**END THE MISERY** on 06:05 - Jan 22 with 6664 viewsBenters2

But to some that isnt enough.

By the club etc.
Login to get fewer ads

**END THE MISERY** on 07:04 - Jan 22 with 6634 viewsBrixtonBlue

**END THE MISERY** on 19:38 - Jan 21 by rgp1

Its not just the poor quality football for me, its everything about the whole match day experience. You arrive at the ground to be greeted with a loud siren to be told where to go in an emergency (I accept that some announcements have to be made, but why cant they change the voice or tone as its been the same since eternity).

You cant have a smoke at half time, and Christ knows I and many others need one given the level of entertainment. Is it really that hard to barrier off a small section at the exits for people to have a cigarette, most away grounds have been doing this for years.

Then there's the announcements, this is not a personal dig but can they not use someone say maybe alongside Rob Chandler just to mix things up a bit.

And the catering, well what can I say that hasn't already been said, I purchased a sausage roll at half time in the Sheffield United game and I suddenly realised why it had been so long since I had last bought one, burnt and overcooked it must have been left over from the Boxing Day game and £3.00 for the privilege.

Then when you want to leave early a steward stands by the exit stopping people (or so it would appear) from leaving.

I try to apply logic to most things in life but that simply doesn't appear to be the case at ITFC. As many posters have stated, you don't expect to turn up every week a win, but for the money you pay you want to enjoy yourself and be entertained, win lose or draw.

On the logical side of things, the big question is why would you run your business so badly and lose money, well the only logic I can apply is run your business at a loss and you presumably don't pay corporation tax. I am sure that many questions have been asked to the boardroom by Phil and others that usually get met with a politicians answer.

I am sure the misery will end at some point, but probably when we least expect it.

Wow, that's the first time I've seen the tone of the safety announcements on the list of gripes. 10/10 for originality!

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

**END THE MISERY** on 08:31 - Jan 22 with 6604 viewsBenters2

**END THE MISERY** on 07:04 - Jan 22 by BrixtonBlue

Wow, that's the first time I've seen the tone of the safety announcements on the list of gripes. 10/10 for originality!

Stupid woman cant even say road properly!

£3 does sound a bit steep for a ranky old sausage roll though?

Do you eat them?
**END THE MISERY** on 08:35 - Jan 22 with 6600 viewsartsbossbeard

**END THE MISERY** on 08:31 - Jan 22 by Benters2

Do you eat them?

Beard Jnr has a Hot Dog on occasions and that had gone up to £4 from £3.50 post Christmas.

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.
Poll: Raining in IP8 - shall I get the washing in?

**END THE MISERY** on 09:03 - Jan 22 with 6580 viewsSuperfrans

**END THE MISERY** on 05:42 - Jan 22 by sotd78

Some of us bought shares in the club when Sheepshanks was in charge. Those worthless pieces of paper still reside in the hands of that loyal fan base. Of course Marcus Evans could have made any number of offers to buy back those shares but did not and has not. That is indicative in a way as to how he views the fans.
For the record a buy back could have taken and still could take many forms:
It could be a simple cash offer.
It could be an equity for loan swap. After all what is good for the big boys could be the same for the little ones.
It could be a discount off a season ticket for one year or over several years.

I gave the club just £200 back then. Not a lot but at the time a chunk of money my family could have used. My wife did not know at the time. She does now. That’s how much some of us cared. We did things secretly.

We are in a rich man’s game now. And the gamble that Marcus Evans made has not come off. Now he is stuck with a club needing money and he has no stomach for it. His £200 equivalent investment has failed and he seemingly won’t put in more. I don’t blame him. I wouldn’t add more either.

To be fair, if you bought those shares believing them to be anything but symbolic (they have little but potential sell on value if you can find someone who wants to buy them) then you were not paying enough attention. I bought some then too - a nice, but rather expensive certificate...

Poll: What is your voting intention on December 12?
Blog: Dear Martin Samuel...

**END THE MISERY** on 09:06 - Jan 22 with 6577 viewsartsbossbeard

**END THE MISERY** on 09:03 - Jan 22 by Superfrans

To be fair, if you bought those shares believing them to be anything but symbolic (they have little but potential sell on value if you can find someone who wants to buy them) then you were not paying enough attention. I bought some then too - a nice, but rather expensive certificate...

Yep, spot on.

I never thought I'd ever see a dividend on my £200 "investment". The club was dying, I did my bit at the time.

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.
Poll: Raining in IP8 - shall I get the washing in?

**END THE MISERY** on 09:36 - Jan 22 with 6552 viewsPJH

**END THE MISERY** on 09:03 - Jan 22 by Superfrans

I might be wrong but I did not think that we can sell our shares to anyone other than Marcus Evans in the event that he wanted 100% of the shares rather than the 87.50% that he has got.
Either way it is a rather expensive certificate but it made me happy that I had done my little bit for the Club in their time of financial need-so good in fact that I bought some more in the second share issue.
**END THE MISERY** on 09:46 - Jan 22 with 6539 viewsSuperfrans

**END THE MISERY** on 09:36 - Jan 22 by PJH

I might be wrong but I did not think that we can sell our shares to anyone other than Marcus Evans in the event that he wanted 100% of the shares rather than the 87.50% that he has got.
Either way it is a rather expensive certificate but it made me happy that I had done my little bit for the Club in their time of financial need-so good in fact that I bought some more in the second share issue.

I really meant that you can sell the nice certificate if you like. And, yes, me too - It was an attempt to do something for the club.

**END THE MISERY** on 09:52 - Jan 22 with 6532 viewsFinidiCentenary

**END THE MISERY** on 13:00 - Jan 21 by No9

As I posted elsewhere how many poters on TWTD would put their hand in their pocket to 'rescue" (if that is the general view) ITFC?

I assume you've never complained about anything?

Not your Bank? Electric? Water? Food delivery?

Because the answer you tell yourself presumably is that it's okay for your shopping to arrive manky because you can't afford to buy Tesco and do better.

Poll: Which lower league manager would you appoint if all of the following applied?

**END THE MISERY** on 10:07 - Jan 22 with 6517 viewsNo9

**END THE MISERY** on 14:47 - Jan 21 by RegencyBlue

So your point is that no one who isn’t rich enough to buy the club from Evans is entitled to an opinion about how he runs it?

Not going to happen is it, in any business, let alone a football club!

Well, the fact is that MR Evans will run ITFC the way he sees fit.
He, as far as I know, has never even bothered to go to any shareholder meetings so he isn't likely to take much notice of he 'ordinary' fan.
We take it or leave it until someone gets enough fan support to raise cash & buy him out or, he sells and then things could be even worse.
????????????????????????
**END THE MISERY** on 11:32 - Jan 22 with 6478 viewsBrixtonBlue

**END THE MISERY** on 08:31 - Jan 22 by Benters2

Do you eat them?

On occasion, when I'm desperate (when I've rushed straight from work and haven't had time to eat).

They're alright, although so hot you could heat a small village for a week off of one.

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

**END THE MISERY** on 11:48 - Jan 22 with 6461 viewsSuperfrans

**END THE MISERY** on 22:27 - Jan 21 by rgp1

Yes i accept your points but what I would say if it was your business what would you do to arrest the slide. I don't buy the you need millions arguments to get out of this division, Blackpool and huddersfield proved that. And again I'm not interested in McCarthy slating the fans as he is played enough not to worry about it. I just want to be entertained and to enjoy the match day experience. If that was happening why are supporters leaving in the thousands?

The problem is that there is no guaranteed strategy to get promoted. if there was everyone would do it.

Blackpool's promotion was 7 years ago now and football has changed dramatically, not sure what there is to learn from that. As for Huddersfield, they did spend more than we have in the past 5 years (as I recall) and hired a young, inspiring manager from Germany and things clicked.

If you reviewed every team that has been promoted over the past five years, I suspect you'll find the most common uniting factor is significant resourcing. Not all of them have spent £10s of millions of pounds on salaries and transfer fees, but the majority would have.

That said, there are also lots of clubs who have spent 10s of millions of pounds who HAVEN'T got promoted (Derby (so far), Forest, Sheff Wed, among others), not to mentioned the richly resourced teams on parachute funds (Norwich, Bolton, Sunderland, Hull, QPR etc), so big money is no guarantee either.

Money does weight things in your favour though.

On the "what would you do about it" question, I'm not sure I know the answer. I certainly don't have £5m a season to cover our losses, so we'd probably end up in League 1 - that's all that our organic income can really support right now.

**END THE MISERY** on 12:14 - Jan 22 with 6442 viewsSuperfrans

**END THE MISERY** on 09:52 - Jan 22 by FinidiCentenary

Because the answer you tell yourself presumably is that it's okay for your shopping to arrive manky because you can't afford to buy Tesco and do better.

If some water companies are offering water via a stand-pipe, while others are offering a premium service for it to be piped into my house, I don't complain about a non-premium service if I choose one of the stand-pipe companies. If I want it piped directly, I simply move to one of those offering a premium service.

The problem is that we don't choose our football clubs this way - and many of our fans expect a premium service when we don't have a club capable of funding this. Basically.

**END THE MISERY** on 12:56 - Jan 22 with 6427 viewsBenters2

**END THE MISERY** on 08:35 - Jan 22 by artsbossbeard

Beard Jnr has a Hot Dog on occasions and that had gone up to £4 from £3.50 post Christmas.

Jeez!
**END THE MISERY** on 16:01 - Jan 22 with 6385 viewsBrightonEye

**END THE MISERY** on 07:04 - Jan 22 by BrixtonBlue

Funny you mention the pre-match safety announcement. I've been to well over half the grounds in the country, but can't recall any where a klaxon/safety announcement is sounded before kick-off. Or at any other time.

Is there an especially high level of risk at Portman Road?

Still, there you go — a solid gold, genuine Town USP!
**END THE MISERY** on 18:33 - Jan 22 with 6327 viewsNo9

**END THE MISERY** on 09:52 - Jan 22 by FinidiCentenary

I frequently complain but I don't see the point when the MD & Owner don't give a flying fcuk.
As a matter of fact the MD doesn't even bother to respond
**END THE MISERY** on 18:35 - Jan 22 with 6325 viewsNo9

In days of yore, the Supporters Club provided funds to help build stands, buy players etc.
**END THE MISERY** on 18:44 - Jan 22 with 6313 viewsrgp1

**END THE MISERY** on 16:01 - Jan 22 by BrightonEye

Funny you mention the pre-match safety announcement. I've been to well over half the grounds in the country, but can't recall any where a klaxon/safety announcement is sounded before kick-off. Or at any other time.

Is there an especially high level of risk at Portman Road?

Still, there you go — a solid gold, genuine Town USP!

The point I'm trying to make is that nothing changes and everything is so regimented about the match day. Take the big games where stewards line the pitch in front of the crowd. What's the point, its an offence to enter the field of play so why do they think 20 or so stewards will stop the crowd doing it.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024