Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Lovely, cuddly West Ham: We don’t want any more African players... 23:23 - Jan 31 with 19060 viewsElderGrizzly

Lovely, cuddly West Ham: We don’t want any more African players... on 10:32 - Feb 1 with 4467 viewsJakeITFC

Lovely, cuddly West Ham: We don’t want any more African players... on 08:25 - Feb 1 by maccyd9

Same old PC rubbish in this country.

I can't see a problem.

Problem a): using the behaviour of past players to discriminate future ones
Problem b): grouping the entirety of Africa into one group to be discriminated against
Problem c): the discrimination itself

It’s also a pretty fuccking stupid policy, more than anything else.
Lovely, cuddly West Ham: We don’t want any more African players... on 10:34 - Feb 1 with 4464 viewsSomethingBlue

Lovely, cuddly West Ham: We don’t want any more African players... on 10:32 - Feb 1 by chicoazul

I know it was hot in Germany and Brazil but Africa is a whole different type of condition.

Business or pleasure? Either way i'm jealous, my neighbour always goes and has a great time.

The former. The last two were both in deeply problematic places (not that Cameroon isn't these days) so it'll be nice to go to one not in a petro-state that's pretending to do its continent a favour.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

Lovely, cuddly West Ham: We don’t want any more African players... on 10:35 - Feb 1 with 4465 viewsDyland

Lovely, cuddly West Ham: We don’t want any more African players... on 08:25 - Feb 1 by maccyd9

I can't see a problem.

Same old blaming the "PC brigade" for not allowing racism to be acceptable in this day and age.

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

Lovely, cuddly West Ham: We don’t want any more African players... on 10:44 - Feb 1 with 4441 viewsblueblood66

And? Are they not entitled to an opinion based on past experience?
He probably wouldn't count them..... on 11:24 - Feb 1 with 4409 viewsBloots

Lovely, cuddly West Ham: We don’t want any more African players... on 06:37 - Feb 1 by bluelou

100% guarantee this guy wouldn't have turned down Mahrez or Salah, there's the problem.

....as "African".

If you get my drift.

Elite Level Poster: Elite Level Supporter: Elite Level Human

Lovely, cuddly West Ham: We don’t want any more African players... on 11:25 - Feb 1 with 4407 viewshype313

I can't see a problem.

Well he's now been suspended so that tells you all quite a lot.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Lovely, cuddly West Ham: We don’t want any more African players... on 11:32 - Feb 1 with 4394 viewsDarth_Koont

Lovely, cuddly West Ham: We don’t want any more African players... on 08:36 - Feb 1 by Superfrans

Extraordinary how many people are justifying it.

It’s not a million miles from claiming black players can only offer speed and flair, and can’t be trusted to work hard, which is what many argued in the Seventies and Eighties. It’s plain, straightforward racism.

Or they're not leaders, lack tactical nous etc.

Pronouns: He/Him

Lovely, cuddly West Ham: We don’t want any more African players... on 11:38 - Feb 1 with 4381 viewsLankHenners

Lovely, cuddly West Ham: We don’t want any more African players... on 10:35 - Feb 1 by Dyland

Same old blaming the "PC brigade" for not allowing racism to be acceptable in this day and age.

Unfortunately unsurprising in its predictability that this thread would have (I assume) middle-aged white guys struggling to find a problem with racism and defending these kinds of statements.

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

Login to get fewer ads

Lovely, cuddly West Ham: We don’t want any more African players... on 12:08 - Feb 1 with 4335 viewsSeablu

Lovely, cuddly West Ham: We don’t want any more African players... on 11:38 - Feb 1 by LankHenners

Unfortunately unsurprising in its predictability that this thread would have (I assume) middle-aged white guys struggling to find a problem with racism and defending these kinds of statements.

Spot on. A quick check of the up-arrowers includes the usual crew. trncbluearmy, maccyd9 etc.
Proper blokes.
Lovely, cuddly West Ham: We don’t want any more African players... on 12:40 - Feb 1 with 4301 viewsmaccyd9

Lovely, cuddly West Ham: We don’t want any more African players... on 12:08 - Feb 1 by Seablu

Spot on. A quick check of the up-arrowers includes the usual crew. trncbluearmy, maccyd9 etc.
Proper blokes.

Based on what?

Total unfounded accusation pal.
Lovely, cuddly West Ham: We don’t want any more African players... on 13:00 - Feb 1 with 4261 viewssyntaxerror

Lovely, cuddly West Ham: We don’t want any more African players... on 12:40 - Feb 1 by maccyd9

Based on what?

Total unfounded accusation pal.

How is unfounded when you didn't see the problem with an obviously racist comment?
[Post edited 1 Feb 2018 13:01]
Lovely, cuddly West Ham: We don’t want any more African players... on 13:12 - Feb 1 with 4238 viewsDarkHorse

Vile club. Almost as bad as Norwich.

The people here defending them are a disgrace.
Lovely, cuddly West Ham: We don’t want any more African players... on 13:12 - Feb 1 with 4240 viewsmaccyd9

Lovely, cuddly West Ham: We don’t want any more African players... on 13:00 - Feb 1 by syntaxerror

How is unfounded when you didn't see the problem with an obviously racist comment?
[Post edited 1 Feb 2018 13:01]

The "usual crew" was my issue.

Anyway, clearly what he said is terribly worded, no question. But is there clear evidence that it was intended in a racist manner? In fact he is at pains to suggest otherwise.

I'm sure there are many many other examples of prefered candidates for roles based on previous experiences.

Guidance is what he needs not a hanging out to dry.
Lovely, cuddly West Ham: We don’t want any more African players... on 13:19 - Feb 1 with 4227 viewscrunchie1978

Lovely, cuddly West Ham: We don’t want any more African players... on 13:12 - Feb 1 by maccyd9

The "usual crew" was my issue.

Anyway, clearly what he said is terribly worded, no question. But is there clear evidence that it was intended in a racist manner? In fact he is at pains to suggest otherwise.

I'm sure there are many many other examples of prefered candidates for roles based on previous experiences.

Guidance is what he needs not a hanging out to dry.

At last a common sense post.
First of all find out if it was meant as a racist remark before like you say hang the poor bloke at to dry.
West ham have signed a large number of African players in the last ten years so the club itself is clearly not racist nor would I say are it's employees.
I think we all admit it was badly worded...but in my eyes that's all it was and wasn't intedened to be racist.
Lovely, cuddly West Ham: We don’t want any more African players... on 13:25 - Feb 1 with 4213 viewsLankHenners

Lovely, cuddly West Ham: We don’t want any more African players... on 13:19 - Feb 1 by crunchie1978

First of all find out if it was meant as a racist remark before like you say hang the poor bloke at to dry.
West ham have signed a large number of African players in the last ten years so the club itself is clearly not racist nor would I say are it's employees.
I think we all admit it was badly worded...but in my eyes that's all it was and wasn't intedened to be racist.

If you believe it to be merely 'badly worded', how would you change what he said so it doesn't sound derogatory and racist?

I wouldn't try and hide him behind the club either, given they've suspended him for these views.

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

Lovely, cuddly West Ham: We don’t want any more African players... on 13:26 - Feb 1 with 4210 viewsSuperfrans

Lovely, cuddly West Ham: We don’t want any more African players... on 13:19 - Feb 1 by crunchie1978

Intention is irrelevant.

If he said that he didn't want to sign African players (and appears to have sent an email stating it as policy) because of the behaviour of one African, that's prejudice, plain and simple. Prejudice based on race is racism.

Even if it was an old fella, from a different era, who didn't think about the consequences or meaning of what he wrote, he would need to be explained that such statements are not acceptable. But he's 38 years old.

Poll: What is your voting intention on December 12?
Blog: Dear Martin Samuel...

Lovely, cuddly West Ham: We don’t want any more African players... on 13:30 - Feb 1 with 4196 viewscrunchie1978

Lovely, cuddly West Ham: We don’t want any more African players... on 13:26 - Feb 1 by Superfrans

Intention is irrelevant.

If he said that he didn't want to sign African players (and appears to have sent an email stating it as policy) because of the behaviour of one African, that's prejudice, plain and simple. Prejudice based on race is racism.

Even if it was an old fella, from a different era, who didn't think about the consequences or meaning of what he wrote, he would need to be explained that such statements are not acceptable. But he's 38 years old.

But do u think he deserves to lose his job and be labbeled a racist as a result of what was basically a poor choice of words.
Who knows what effect this will have on his life financially or mentally as a result of this.
Lovely, cuddly West Ham: We don’t want any more African players... on 13:42 - Feb 1 with 4173 viewsJakeITFC

Lovely, cuddly West Ham: We don’t want any more African players... on 13:30 - Feb 1 by crunchie1978

But do u think he deserves to lose his job and be labbeled a racist as a result of what was basically a poor choice of words.
Who knows what effect this will have on his life financially or mentally as a result of this.

It's not that though, is it.

He's actively discriminating against 15% of the population of the earth (at least).
Lovely, cuddly West Ham: We don’t want any more African players... on 13:49 - Feb 1 with 4165 viewsmaccyd9

Lovely, cuddly West Ham: We don’t want any more African players... on 13:26 - Feb 1 by Superfrans

Intention is irrelevant.

38??

Crikey's he's had a hard paper round.

Think you've got that wrong.
Lovely, cuddly West Ham: We don’t want any more African players... on 13:51 - Feb 1 with 4163 viewsSpruceMoose

Lovely, cuddly West Ham: We don’t want any more African players... on 13:30 - Feb 1 by crunchie1978

Who cares? He's being labeled a racist for saying something racist. There was an easy way to avoid that...

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Lovely, cuddly West Ham: We don’t want any more African players... on 13:53 - Feb 1 with 4156 viewscrunchie1978

Lovely, cuddly West Ham: We don’t want any more African players... on 13:51 - Feb 1 by SpruceMoose

Who cares? He's being labeled a racist for saying something racist. There was an easy way to avoid that...

Well you clearly don't care....arent we allowed to make mistakes now.
Lovely, cuddly West Ham: We don’t want any more African players... on 13:55 - Feb 1 with 4149 viewsSpruceMoose

Lovely, cuddly West Ham: We don’t want any more African players... on 13:53 - Feb 1 by crunchie1978

Well you clearly don't care....arent we allowed to make mistakes now.

Since when is racism a mistake? Or do you consider the mistake to be saying this stuff out loud rather than thinking it?

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Lovely, cuddly West Ham: We don’t want any more African players... on 13:55 - Feb 1 with 4147 viewsDarth_Koont

It's racist or he just wasn't aware that Africa is made up of too many cultures, languages, economic situations, football styles etc.to use such a blanket term as "Africans" to make a point.. Which, as head of recruitment, would means he's not fit for the job.

Pronouns: He/Him

Lovely, cuddly West Ham: We don’t want any more African players... on 13:56 - Feb 1 with 4147 viewsSuperfrans

He's a 38 year old man who has said his club shouldn't employ African players because of the one or two African players he has come across. Given the world in which he is working, I can't see how even he would argue he can do his job properly any longer.

It was beyond stupid to say such a thing, let alone put it in an email, let alone suggest it was a policy - let alone stating something as a head of recruitment.

If you're feeling sorry for him, I wouldn't - anyone in any area of work would be sacked for the same thing. I certainly would.

EDIT: corrected - he's 60, not 38. Not that it should change the outcome.
[Post edited 1 Feb 2018 13:58]

Lovely, cuddly West Ham: We don’t want any more African players... on 13:58 - Feb 1 with 4141 viewsSuperfrans

Lovely, cuddly West Ham: We don’t want any more African players... on 13:49 - Feb 1 by maccyd9

38??

Crikey's he's had a hard paper round.

Think you've got that wrong.

I stand corrected. He's 60.

There is another Tony Henry and former WH player who is 38.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024