Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Maurice Steijn 08:33 - Feb 7 with 8447 viewsGodBlue

Not trying to stoke any fires, but thought this was a nice piece on Steijn, if anyone's interested:

https://www.vi.nl/pro/overig/gepassioneerde-schaker-vriendelijke-beul-rebelse-mo

Translated (via Google):

For the season relegation candidate number one, at the beginning of February tenth in the Eredivisie. VVV-Venlo scoffed at the logic, as it had already surpassed itself a year ago with the title in the Jupiler League. The success of the North Limburgers also shines on trainer Maurice Steijn. It is no different whether the Haguemer will start working for a larger club after this season. He could have worked at FC Utrecht even now. A dissection of his success in five parts. And two things that can break him up.

TACTICALLY STRONG
The main quality for a trainer is that he is able to get his team to perform. Maurice Steijn has already succeeded for four seasons in a row to exceed the expectations with VVV-Venlo. The club was in a bad mood when he arrived, in the summer of 2014. The selection was unbalanced, the money on and the fire in and around the club quenched. It seemed that thin years appeared. But Steijn provided a new impetus and lifted his team a little higher each season. From seventh to second in the Jupiler League, to a convincing championship in the spring of 2017. In terms of financial possibilities, VVV was at that moment somewhere halfway the rankings. At the top-level competition, the Venlo citizens had a selection without any significant experience in the Eredivisie and the next lowest budget of the competition: 6, 5 million euros. Three times as little as SC Heerenveen, which managed to gain one point for the 21th round (27 to 26).

The great influence of Steijn on the surprising results is unmistakable. His turnouts and tactical conversions were often decisive this season. Last Saturday, visiting NAC Breda, he changed to a 4-4-2 match during the three-game system. Right winger Vito van Crooij dropped a line to neutralize the raging left back Angeliño. Attacking midfielder Ralf Seuntjens had to help in a more withdrawn role to slow down the creative impulses of Rai Vloet and Manu García. VVV got the sting out of the game of the Bredanaars and slowly got a grip on the game. According to Ralf Seuntjens, the 0-1 victory could not be separated from the conversion. "And it was already the sixth or seven times this season that we managed to tilt a match after a coach intervention," says the routine.

Many players praise the enthusiastic talks of Steijn, who for each match sharply crystallizes the pain points at the opponent and everyone points in detail to his duties and responsibilities. Manager football Stan Valckx often listens and is also enthusiastic. "Maurice prepares the team tactically well for every game," says Valckx. 'He sees the game very well and conveys his vision very clearly. And if it does not go well during the race, he can also quickly restore things. ' That VVV is one of the teams this season with the highest return from dead game moments, is also not due to coincidence: Steijn makes smart use of specific weak spots with the opponent.

Poll: After 778 days, what’s improved since Paul Lambert arrived?

Maurice Steijn on 08:38 - Feb 7 with 6466 viewsThijssens_Tash

He would be my No.1 choice as Mick's successor, time for an exciting change
Maurice Steijn on 08:39 - Feb 7 with 6459 viewsITFC_Forever

Maurice Steijn on 08:38 - Feb 7 by Thijssens_Tash

Massive gamble to appoint him though.... I can't see ME taking that big a risk.

P 1123, W 500, D 287, L 336, F 1704, A 1356
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Maurice Steijn on 08:41 - Feb 7 with 6456 viewsitfcjoe

Make it happen

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Maurice Steijn on 08:43 - Feb 7 with 6443 viewsThijssens_Tash

Maurice Steijn on 08:39 - Feb 7 by ITFC_Forever

Massive gamble to appoint him though.... I can't see ME taking that big a risk.

Agreed, but would be far more interesting than the usual faces, we need a complete change. I'm fully prepared to be disappointed with ME next appointment though.
Maurice Steijn on 08:49 - Feb 7 with 6418 viewsWestSussexBlue

This is like walking to work everyday and seeing a great car on the forecourt for sale, perfect price and you wait a couple of days before deciding to make an offer.
When you go back it’s gone and somebody was that bit quicker to get a great deal done.
Maurice Steijn on 09:08 - Feb 7 with 6337 viewshoppy

Maurice Steijn on 08:49 - Feb 7 by WestSussexBlue

This is like walking to work everyday and seeing a great car on the forecourt for sale, perfect price and you wait a couple of days before deciding to make an offer.
When you go back it’s gone and somebody was that bit quicker to get a great deal done.

What car was it?

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

Maurice Steijn on 09:10 - Feb 7 with 6325 viewsNorthern_Blue81

If he can get them into the top 6 in his first season then you would think he will have a good few options for the next step of his career.

Let's hope we don't miss the boat and at least get him sat down to see what he is all about.
Maurice Steijn on 09:17 - Feb 7 with 6279 viewschicoazul

I'm getting to the point where the name Steijn brings me out in the same hives as the name Cowley.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Login to get fewer ads

Maurice Steijn on 10:41 - Feb 7 with 6088 viewsOsborneOneNil

Maurice Steijn on 08:38 - Feb 7 by Thijssens_Tash

Mine too.
Maurice Steijn on 10:45 - Feb 7 with 6073 viewsKing_of_Portman_Rd

Didn't he say he wanted to manage us when asked in an interview last year? (May have embellished that story a little)

All appointments would be a risk, but I think this would at least show some real ambition (given his achievements in the last 18 months) and expect he'll go on to bigger and better things than us in the future.. which would make it nice if he was here to drag us along with him.
Maurice Steijn on 10:47 - Feb 7 with 6064 viewsJ2BLUE

You would think that if the club have any sense at all (I know...) they would look at the fan reaction to him being linked and would at least take a look at him.

Probably a bit dangerous for ME though. Better to go with Phil Brown.

*shudders*

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Maurice Steijn on 10:55 - Feb 7 with 6022 viewsWestSussexBlue

Maurice Steijn on 09:08 - Feb 7 by hoppy

What car was it?

Not been in that exact position Hoppy, I can just see it though, someone like Fulham miss out on the play offs decide Jokanovic is done, appoint Steijn who duly does well and in 3 seasons has them in the prem. while in 3 seasons time we’ve had Phil Brown and kicked around mid championship.
Maurice Steijn on 10:57 - Feb 7 with 6017 viewsOsborneOneNil

Maurice Steijn on 10:47 - Feb 7 by J2BLUE

You would think that if the club have any sense at all (I know...) they would look at the fan reaction to him being linked and would at least take a look at him.

*shudders*

You'd like to think so.......but then if ME takes advice of MM, we wouldn't end up with an exciting up and coming young manager from Holland.
Maurice Steijn on 11:01 - Feb 7 with 6000 viewsGuthrum

Maurice Steijn on 10:57 - Feb 7 by OsborneOneNil

You'd like to think so.......but then if ME takes advice of MM, we wouldn't end up with an exciting up and coming young manager from Holland.

Are you sure about that? McCarthy would not neccessarily have any interest in recommending a facsimile of himself. Otherwise he may as well keep the job (assuming he gets the choice).

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Maurice Steijn on 11:03 - Feb 7 with 5991 viewsPinewoodblue

Maurice Steijn on 10:57 - Feb 7 by OsborneOneNil

For all any of us know ME has already had the team scouted and has asked our many dutch ex players for their opinion of him. The ideal person to ask to do it would be Simon Milton.

This is all wishful thinking...AKA speculation.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Maurice Steijn on 11:28 - Feb 7 with 5937 viewsNorthern_Blue81

Maurice Steijn on 10:47 - Feb 7 by J2BLUE

*shudders*

If a high % of the fan base want Maurice then they will buy tickets again and come to games. Being a ticket lord I am sure he know this, probably.

Is so painfully obvious it will be over looked. If Phil Brown or someone like that comes in then we might as well keep Mick.
Maurice Steijn on 11:36 - Feb 7 with 5920 viewsSuperfrans

Serious question about Steijn.

He was first mentioned in connection with us about a year ago. We obviously didn't change manager last summer and still haven't - and he still hasn't been snapped up by anyone. I just wonder why that is.

Are we the only ones linked with him? Or has he been connected with any other clubs, either over there or over here? If he is as good and up-and-coming as is suggested, you'd expect more excitement from him generally about the game.

Poll: What is your voting intention on December 12?
Blog: Dear Martin Samuel...

Maurice Steijn on 12:24 - Feb 7 with 5790 viewsSuperblue95

Sounds a bit like a Dutch version of Eddie Howe, although hopefully he is less of an arrogant, whiny, tw@.

Wouldn't be my first choice but I wouldn't be opposed to him joining. He would certainly regain the fans interest

My hobbies include being quiet during trips, clapping with songs, and diabetes.
Poll: Englands player of the tournament

Maurice Steijn on 12:51 - Feb 7 with 5700 viewsOsborneOneNil

Maurice Steijn on 11:01 - Feb 7 by Guthrum

Are you sure about that? McCarthy would not neccessarily have any interest in recommending a facsimile of himself. Otherwise he may as well keep the job (assuming he gets the choice).

You're now presuming that MM considers Phil Brown, Megson etc to be a facsimile of himself. Bet he doesn't......bet he thinks he's leagues above them.
on 12:52 - Feb 7 with 5693 views_

Maurice Steijn on 12:51 - Feb 7 by OsborneOneNil

You're now presuming that MM considers Phil Brown, Megson etc to be a facsimile of himself. Bet he doesn't......bet he thinks he's leagues above them.

Maurice Steijn on 12:54 - Feb 7 with 5680 viewsGuthrum

Stylistically, not achievement-wise. There aren't that many (available) managers with McCarthy's pedigree at this level.

Besides which, why would McCarthy recommend either of those?
[Post edited 7 Feb 2018 12:55]

Maurice Steijn on 12:55 - Feb 7 with 5670 viewsThijssens_Tash

Maurice Steijn on 11:36 - Feb 7 by Superfrans

He was first mentioned in connection with us about a year ago. We obviously didn't change manager last summer and still haven't - and he still hasn't been snapped up by anyone. I just wonder why that is.

Are we the only ones linked with him? Or has he been connected with any other clubs, either over there or over here? If he is as good and up-and-coming as is suggested, you'd expect more excitement from him generally about the game.

Last year he got promoted with is VVV Venlo side and won manager of the year. I think for him to have left after that it would have been a bit premature, as he would have wanted a crack at the Eredivisie with them. Having now guided his over achieving side to mid table he would probably consider a new challenge, with no doubt more suiters than us looking at him.
Maurice Steijn on 12:56 - Feb 7 with 5665 viewsTractorCam

Well he wouldn't be wrong

Poll: An interesting day for our politicians, but which one is worse?

Maurice Steijn on 13:09 - Feb 7 with 5612 viewsGuthrum

Maurice Steijn on 11:36 - Feb 7 by Superfrans

There is an element of trends and fashions in this. After Huddersfield's success, everyone in the Championship is now chasing unknown lower-divison German managers. That is what's "in".

His achievements with Venlo are not sufficiently startling to attract interest from the Prem - where the lower teams are, in any case, primarily after stolid competence for survival, not flair.

Maurice Steijn on 13:14 - Feb 7 with 5592 viewsnshearman1

Maurice Steijn on 12:56 - Feb 7 by TractorCam

Well he wouldn't be wrong

I've got to say that, while I am very definitely in the Mick Out camp, most of these alternatives, particularly Sherwood, fill me with total horror. Stejn, in my view, would be exactly the kind of forward-thinking younger manager we need. But given the range of options being discussed here, and given Marcus Evan's abysmal record with hiring managers, I really fear for what might be to come even though I want change. The change I want, first and foremost, is for Evans to f*** off.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024