Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Giving up your seat for old people is a tricky one isn't it? 14:04 - Feb 13 with 27918 viewsBrixtonBlue

There was an oldish, but not THAT old, woman got on my bus the other day. I went to offer my seat but then I thought, is she going to be offended that I'm suggesting she's old?

The reason I thought this is probably because my mum had someone offer her a seat a few years ago. She said it was nice but made her feel old.

So where do you stand?*

*pun intended

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Giving up your seat for old people is a tricky one isn't it? on 07:39 - Feb 14 with 2776 viewsBenters2

Giving up your seat for old people is a tricky one isn't it? on 07:31 - Feb 14 by BrixtonBlue

Wow, they actually counted them?!?

Well he got the number bang on but then it isnt hard as the number is on there anyway lol !
Giving up your seat for old people is a tricky one isn't it? on 07:49 - Feb 14 with 2760 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Giving up your seat for old people is a tricky one isn't it? on 14:07 - Feb 13 by Lord_Lucan

No. It's easy.

You should give up your seat for any women, regardless of age.

100% this. Surprised at the number of responses to the contrary, tbh

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Giving up your seat for old people is a tricky one isn't it? on 07:49 - Feb 14 with 2760 viewsBrixtonBlue

Giving up your seat for old people is a tricky one isn't it? on 07:39 - Feb 14 by Benters2

Well he got the number bang on but then it isnt hard as the number is on there anyway lol !

There are some strange people about.

Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Giving up your seat for old people is a tricky one isn't it? on 07:50 - Feb 14 with 2755 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Giving up your seat for old people is a tricky one isn't it? on 07:31 - Feb 14 by BrixtonBlue

Wow, they actually counted them?!?

Probably just clicked on his profile and read the number, I expect

Mr 284 forum votes

Giving up your seat for old people is a tricky one isn't it? on 07:54 - Feb 14 with 2749 viewsBenters2

Giving up your seat for old people is a tricky one isn't it? on 22:48 - Feb 13 by Clapham_Junction

The 'Baby on board' badges are a great idea and pretty much guarantee people offering a seat to the wearer.

You could get one of those badges for your rucksack Dollers!
Giving up your seat for old people is a tricky one isn't it? on 07:56 - Feb 14 with 2745 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

Giving up your seat for old people is a tricky one isn't it? on 07:50 - Feb 14 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

Mr 284 forum votes

Blimey how did I not know you can do that.

I’m on 6730 apparently

Poll: Would we sell out our allocation for Wembley for a PJ Trophy final?

Giving up your seat for old people is a tricky one isn't it? on 07:58 - Feb 14 with 2739 viewsBrixtonBlue

Giving up your seat for old people is a tricky one isn't it? on 07:50 - Feb 14 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

Mr 284 forum votes

I was confused at first, I thought he meant someone had counted how many arrows they'd given Benters and then told him!

Giving up your seat for old people is a tricky one isn't it? on 07:59 - Feb 14 with 2734 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Giving up your seat for old people is a tricky one isn't it? on 07:58 - Feb 14 by BrixtonBlue

I was confused at first, I thought he meant someone had counted how many arrows they'd given Benters and then told him!

There’s been some sad posters on here at times, but that would really take the biscuit!

Login to get fewer ads

Giving up your seat for old people is a tricky one isn't it? on 07:59 - Feb 14 with 2734 viewsBrixtonBlue

Mr 284 forum votes

At least I spread mine around, I don't follow someone round like some lovesick puppy downing everything they say and upping things said against them.
[Post edited 14 Feb 2018 8:01]

Giving up your seat for old people is a tricky one isn't it? on 08:01 - Feb 14 with 2724 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

Giving up your seat for old people is a tricky one isn't it? on 07:59 - Feb 14 by BrixtonBlue

At least I spread mine around, I don't follow someone round like some lovesick puppy downing everything they say and upping things said against them.

Heh - well played Healy with the downvote

Poll: Would we sell out our allocation for Wembley for a PJ Trophy final?

Giving up your seat for old people is a tricky one isn't it? on 08:03 - Feb 14 with 2721 viewsBrixtonBlue

Giving up your seat for old people is a tricky one isn't it? on 07:56 - Feb 14 by The_Romford_Blue

I’m on 6730 apparently

Wow, you must have a big quiver.

Giving up your seat for old people is a tricky one isn't it? on 08:14 - Feb 14 with 2708 viewsBenters2

Giving up your seat for old people is a tricky one isn't it? on 07:56 - Feb 14 by The_Romford_Blue

I’m on 6730 apparently

6729 for the record
Giving up your seat for old people is a tricky one isn't it? on 08:20 - Feb 14 with 2696 viewsBenters2

Mr 284 forum votes

I have Minus 337!

You Bastards!
Giving up your seat for old people is a tricky one isn't it? on 08:24 - Feb 14 with 2687 viewsBrixtonBlue

Giving up your seat for old people is a tricky one isn't it? on 08:20 - Feb 14 by Benters2

I have Minus 337!

You Bastards!

There could be a couple of reasons for that, but you stick with 'the people of TWTD are bastards'.

Giving up your seat for old people is a tricky one isn't it? on 08:26 - Feb 14 with 2684 viewsBenters2

Giving up your seat for old people is a tricky one isn't it? on 08:24 - Feb 14 by BrixtonBlue

There could be a couple of reasons for that, but you stick with 'the people of TWTD are bastards'.

Balls x
Giving up your seat for old people is a tricky one isn't it? on 10:18 - Feb 14 with 2637 viewsRyorry

Giving up your seat for old people is a tricky one isn't it? on 07:49 - Feb 14 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

100% this. Surprised at the number of responses to the contrary, tbh

Are you also surprised that two of those "responses to the contrary" came from the two most regularly posting female TWTDers? (out of only a handful of women who post on here).

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Giving up your seat for old people is a tricky one isn't it? on 10:20 - Feb 14 with 2630 viewsBrixtonBlue

Giving up your seat for old people is a tricky one isn't it? on 10:18 - Feb 14 by Ryorry

Are you also surprised that two of those "responses to the contrary" came from the two most regularly posting female TWTDers? (out of only a handful of women who post on here).

BOOM!

Or should I say BUST!

Giving up your seat for old people is a tricky one isn't it? on 10:27 - Feb 14 with 2615 viewsRyorry

Giving up your seat for old people is a tricky one isn't it? on 10:20 - Feb 14 by BrixtonBlue

BOOM!

Or should I say BUST!

Heh!

I do feel for you a bit here, as you kept reiterating that your OP was about age, not gender.

Some people have said that it's because they were taught gentlemanly good manners by their parents. Whilst good manners are great, their parents' grandparents would have (if I've got my generations/dates right) lived in an era where it was (generally) considered correct that women should be treated differently to the extent of not having the right to vote.

Humankind tends to advance because each generation moves forward and improve things.

As I said earlier in the thread, I don't want to be treated differently, I just want to be treated equally, and most women I know feel the same.

Giving up your seat for old people is a tricky one isn't it? on 10:43 - Feb 14 with 2598 viewsCotty

Giving up your seat for old people is a tricky one isn't it? on 14:07 - Feb 13 by Lord_Lucan

No. It's easy.

You should give up your seat for any women, regardless of age.

Hmmm, no. I'm pretty sure that the majority of women would rather be treated equally in all walks of life, which means unfortunately not always getting a seat on the bus just because they don't have a penis.

Expecting plenty of downvotes for this opinion! However, I'm more proud of being a feminist than I am of putting up some pretence of being a 19th Century gentleman, so couldn't care less.

I think that it's important to be less concerned with meaningless acts of "chivalry", and be more concerned with issues such as objectification of women, sexual harassment, and serious endemic societal problems like unequal employment conditions.
[Post edited 14 Feb 2018 10:44]
Giving up your seat for old people is a tricky one isn't it? on 10:52 - Feb 14 with 2582 viewsBrixtonBlue

Giving up your seat for old people is a tricky one isn't it? on 10:27 - Feb 14 by Ryorry

Heh!

I do feel for you a bit here, as you kept reiterating that your OP was about age, not gender.

Some people have said that it's because they were taught gentlemanly good manners by their parents. Whilst good manners are great, their parents' grandparents would have (if I've got my generations/dates right) lived in an era where it was (generally) considered correct that women should be treated differently to the extent of not having the right to vote.

Humankind tends to advance because each generation moves forward and improve things.

As I said earlier in the thread, I don't want to be treated differently, I just want to be treated equally, and most women I know feel the same.

Indeed. I wish I'd said it was an older PERSON in the OP.

Giving up your seat for old people is a tricky one isn't it? on 10:56 - Feb 14 with 2574 viewsBrixtonBlue

Giving up your seat for old people is a tricky one isn't it? on 07:59 - Feb 14 by BrixtonBlue

Point proved it seems.

Seablu's another of those saddos who gets a weird kick out of arrowing.

Giving up your seat for old people is a tricky one isn't it? on 11:01 - Feb 14 with 2571 viewsCotty

Giving up your seat for old people is a tricky one isn't it? on 10:52 - Feb 14 by BrixtonBlue

Indeed. I wish I'd said it was an older PERSON in the OP.

Yeah that's a completely different kettle of fish, and I was more responding to the responses than the OP.
Giving up your seat for old people is a tricky one isn't it? on 11:03 - Feb 14 with 2562 viewsBrixtonBlue

Giving up your seat for old people is a tricky one isn't it? on 11:01 - Feb 14 by Cotty

Yeah that's a completely different kettle of fish, and I was more responding to the responses than the OP.

Indeed, and I largely agree with your post.

I do see why the old skool guys are like they are as well. Their hearts are in the right place.

Giving up your seat for old people is a tricky one isn't it? on 11:04 - Feb 14 with 2560 viewsRyorry

Giving up your seat for old people is a tricky one isn't it? on 10:43 - Feb 14 by Cotty

Hmmm, no. I'm pretty sure that the majority of women would rather be treated equally in all walks of life, which means unfortunately not always getting a seat on the bus just because they don't have a penis.

Expecting plenty of downvotes for this opinion! However, I'm more proud of being a feminist than I am of putting up some pretence of being a 19th Century gentleman, so couldn't care less.

I think that it's important to be less concerned with meaningless acts of "chivalry", and be more concerned with issues such as objectification of women, sexual harassment, and serious endemic societal problems like unequal employment conditions.

Spot on, well said.

Giving up your seat for old people is a tricky one isn't it? on 11:07 - Feb 14 with 2556 viewsGlasgowBlue

Giving up your seat for old people is a tricky one isn't it? on 10:43 - Feb 14 by Cotty

Is being concerned with issues such as objectification of women, sexual harassment, and serious endemic societal problems like unequal employment conditions whilst being what we old blokes call a "gentleman" mutually exclusive?

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024