Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Giving up your seat for old people is a tricky one isn't it? 14:04 - Feb 13 with 27916 viewsBrixtonBlue

There was an oldish, but not THAT old, woman got on my bus the other day. I went to offer my seat but then I thought, is she going to be offended that I'm suggesting she's old?

The reason I thought this is probably because my mum had someone offer her a seat a few years ago. She said it was nice but made her feel old.

So where do you stand?*

*pun intended

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Giving up your seat for old people is a tricky one isn't it? on 19:53 - Feb 13 with 2241 viewsSuperfrans

Giving up your seat for old people is a tricky one isn't it? on 19:45 - Feb 13 by The_Romford_Blue

Whenever I’m on the tube and a woman or an old geezer gets on, I offer my seat. But not a lot of people do for some reason. Perhaps it’s cos I use the tube a lot less than them but I find it astounding that so many just ignore them standing.

It’s just manners innit. They don’t always accept but it’s nice to offer. Nice to be nice.

It is nice to be nice. But why don’t you offer a seat to a man?

Poll: What is your voting intention on December 12?
Blog: Dear Martin Samuel...

Giving up your seat for old people is a tricky one isn't it? on 19:54 - Feb 13 with 2235 viewsSpruceMoose

Giving up your seat for old people is a tricky one isn't it? on 18:28 - Feb 13 by chicoazul

I feel the same way as you and I do the same thing as you. But inevitably these attitudes we hold dear will be laughed at and slowly phased out of society by egalitarian fanatics. I don't travel on public transport much but part of me would expect a woman to have a go at me if I offered her my seat, especially in a metropolitan area. Within the next 10 years or so it will be seriously frowned upon for a man to even talk to a woman he doesnt know and possibly some sort of chargeable offence.

Top trolling.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Giving up your seat for old people is a tricky one isn't it? on 19:55 - Feb 13 with 2234 viewsLord_Lucan

Giving up your seat for old people is a tricky one isn't it? on 19:52 - Feb 13 by Superfrans

To be fair, you seem to be taking offence at a man sitting rather than a woman.

No I'm not. I'm just genuinely shocked - and saddened to be honest.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Giving up your seat for old people is a tricky one isn't it? on 19:55 - Feb 13 with 2234 viewscolchesterchris

Giving up your seat for old people is a tricky one isn't it? on 19:50 - Feb 13 by The_Romford_Blue

Of course not.

But it’s a packed train and they’re standing up whilst I’m sitting down. I have no issue giving my seat up.

If you got on a packed train and a woman offered you their seat, how would that make you feel? Would you accept it?

Poll: Hypothetically, we have £1M for January. What would you rather?

Giving up your seat for old people is a tricky one isn't it? on 19:59 - Feb 13 with 2220 viewsSpruceMoose

Giving up your seat for old people is a tricky one isn't it? on 19:55 - Feb 13 by colchesterchris

If you got on a packed train and a woman offered you their seat, how would that make you feel? Would you accept it?

Damn right I would. Standing is for chumps. I love to sit.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."

Giving up your seat for old people is a tricky one isn't it? on 20:04 - Feb 13 with 2200 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

Giving up your seat for old people is a tricky one isn't it? on 19:55 - Feb 13 by colchesterchris

No

If a train was packed as I got on, I’d expect to stand. Even if I was a woman, I’d expect to stand.

But I think It’s nice for a man to offer his seat to an elderly person or a woman.

Just my personal opinion

Poll: Would we sell out our allocation for Wembley for a PJ Trophy final?

Giving up your seat for old people is a tricky one isn't it? on 20:06 - Feb 13 with 2186 viewsGlasgowBlue

Giving up your seat for old people is a tricky one isn't it? on 19:41 - Feb 13 by sparks

Doesnt it show disrespect in a sense?

Not all all. Let's take it a step further.

If my son's girlfriend is going home later tonight I would expect him to walk her home in the dark then walk back here on his own. If he was at her house I would be appalled at the idea of her accompanying him home then trekking back in the dark to her own house.

Would anyone say that is wrong?

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Giving up your seat for old people is a tricky one isn't it? on 20:06 - Feb 13 with 2191 viewsJ2BLUE

on 19:41 - Feb 13 by _

Same. Can't believe this is a debate to be honest. Talk about people taking things way too far.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Login to get fewer ads

Giving up your seat for old people is a tricky one isn't it? on 20:07 - Feb 13 with 2190 viewsSuperfrans

Giving up your seat for old people is a tricky one isn't it? on 19:55 - Feb 13 by Lord_Lucan

No I'm not. I'm just genuinely shocked - and saddened to be honest.

If you don’t mind me saying so, I think views are shaped by experience.

I don’t know how often you use public transport, but if I used it infrequently, say once or twice a week, maybe less, my view would probably be different. I would stand up most of the time, maybe rather than even having to sit in a carriage where the seats are all crammed together. If I’m out with friends and family, I’m always the last to take a seat.

But, commuting on public transport in London two hours minimum every day, 200 days a year, at the age of 50, I couldn’t live in London if I was standing on my regular commute (which is what I would be forced to do if I blanket stood for every woman who wasn’t seated). Most Londoners behave this way, in my experience and that doesn’t make us Neanderthals.

Not trying to make an argument, btw, just putting an alternative view and suggesting (with respect) that it’s not quite as clear cut an issue as you suggest.
[Post edited 13 Feb 2018 20:08]

Giving up your seat for old people is a tricky one isn't it? on 20:08 - Feb 13 with 2183 viewsSpruceMoose

Giving up your seat for old people is a tricky one isn't it? on 20:06 - Feb 13 by GlasgowBlue

If my son's girlfriend is going home later tonight I would expect him to walk her home in the dark then walk back here on his own. If he was at her house I would be appalled at the idea of her accompanying him home then trekking back in the dark to her own house.

Depends if your son gets murdered on his walk back home or not, I guess.

Maybe he shouldn't be so tight, and shell out for an Uber or something, just to be safe. Then they can both sit, and remain in their current non-murdered states.

Giving up your seat for old people is a tricky one isn't it? on 20:09 - Feb 13 with 2179 viewsJ2BLUE

No, but I wouldn't be offended by it. Hopefully you'd be there to get offended for me though.

Truly impaired.

Giving up your seat for old people is a tricky one isn't it? on 20:10 - Feb 13 with 2175 viewsSpruceMoose

Giving up your seat for old people is a tricky one isn't it? on 20:07 - Feb 13 by Superfrans

If you don’t mind me saying so, I think views are shaped by experience.

I don’t know how often you use public transport, but if I used it infrequently, say once or twice a week, maybe less, my view would probably be different. I would stand up most of the time, maybe rather than even having to sit in a carriage where the seats are all crammed together. If I’m out with friends and family, I’m always the last to take a seat.

But, commuting on public transport in London two hours minimum every day, 200 days a year, at the age of 50, I couldn’t live in London if I was standing on my regular commute (which is what I would be forced to do if I blanket stood for every woman who wasn’t seated). Most Londoners behave this way, in my experience and that doesn’t make us Neanderthals.

Not trying to make an argument, btw, just putting an alternative view and suggesting (with respect) that it’s not quite as clear cut an issue as you suggest.
[Post edited 13 Feb 2018 20:08]

I think you're making a lot of sense to be honest. An everyday commute is slightly different than a once a week jolly into town on the number 13 bus.

Giving up your seat for old people is a tricky one isn't it? on 20:11 - Feb 13 with 2168 viewsRyorry

Giving up your seat for old people is a tricky one isn't it? on 20:06 - Feb 13 by GlasgowBlue

Bit different that - women are hardly vulnerable in the same way on a packed bus as they would be walking back alone in the dark (depending on area and time of course).

Having said that, I know some women have unfortunately experienced opportunistic groping on packed trains in rush hour, so maybe there is good reason for young females to accept the offer of seats then, even if they're healthy.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Giving up your seat for old people is a tricky one isn't it? on 20:14 - Feb 13 with 2155 viewscolchesterchris

Giving up your seat for old people is a tricky one isn't it? on 20:09 - Feb 13 by J2BLUE

No, but I wouldn't be offended by it. Hopefully you'd be there to get offended for me though.

I haven't said anything about being offended by it, I was intrigued. I'm offended by your suggestion of my offence though ;)

I've seen guys get flustered or irritated when a woman has had to open a door herself etc - and the awkward interaction that follows when they apologise, so I wondered if that applied to this scenario too.

Giving up your seat for old people is a tricky one isn't it? on 20:17 - Feb 13 with 2135 viewsGlasgowBlue

Giving up your seat for old people is a tricky one isn't it? on 20:08 - Feb 13 by SpruceMoose

Depends if your son gets murdered on his walk back home or not, I guess.

Maybe he shouldn't be so tight, and shell out for an Uber or something, just to be safe. Then they can both sit, and remain in their current non-murdered states.

"he shouldn't be so tight"? What about equality. Why shouldn't she pay?

Besides he's a student and she only lives a few streets away.

Iron Lion Zion

Giving up your seat for old people is a tricky one isn't it? on 20:19 - Feb 13 with 2127 viewsjas0999

Giving up your seat for old people is a tricky one isn't it? on 14:07 - Feb 13 by Lord_Lucan

No. It's easy.

You should give up your seat for any women, regardless of age.

Perfect. Agreed.
Giving up your seat for old people is a tricky one isn't it? on 20:19 - Feb 13 with 2124 viewsGlasgowBlue

Giving up your seat for old people is a tricky one isn't it? on 20:11 - Feb 13 by Ryorry

Bit different that - women are hardly vulnerable in the same way on a packed bus as they would be walking back alone in the dark (depending on area and time of course).

Having said that, I know some women have unfortunately experienced opportunistic groping on packed trains in rush hour, so maybe there is good reason for young females to accept the offer of seats then, even if they're healthy.

I agree but it highlights that men and women are different and some women, most that I have known, prefer a gentleman to treat them like a lady. That doesn't mean they can't be an equal.

Iron Lion Zion

Giving up your seat for old people is a tricky one isn't it? on 20:20 - Feb 13 with 2123 viewsslump

Giving up your seat for old people is a tricky one isn't it? on 20:11 - Feb 13 by Ryorry

Call me inappropriate, but 'opportunistic groping' made me chuckle. :/

UTT

Giving up your seat for old people is a tricky one isn't it? on 20:20 - Feb 13 with 2122 viewssparks

Its a bad analogy- because its based on a safety issue. A woman is not at risk, any more than a man is, because of standing on a train. But she is at a perceived increased risk walking home on her own- so its very different.

In fact, men are far more frequently the victims of violent crime in any event- so even the scenario you describe may be questionable.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

Giving up your seat for old people is a tricky one isn't it? on 20:23 - Feb 13 with 2115 viewsRyorry

Giving up your seat for old people is a tricky one isn't it? on 20:19 - Feb 13 by GlasgowBlue

I agree but it highlights that men and women are different and some women, most that I have known, prefer a gentleman to treat them like a lady. That doesn't mean they can't be an equal.

The two aren't mutually exclusive tho - I like to be treated like a lady out on a date, but as an equal in work situations & when a passenger on public transport etc (perhaps unless packed bottom to bottom as mentioned in my previous post).

Giving up your seat for old people is a tricky one isn't it? on 20:24 - Feb 13 with 2111 viewscolchesterchris

You're ignoring that you're statistically around twice as likely to be a victim of a violent crime or murder if you're a man, so I think that's based on a false premise.

Giving up your seat for old people is a tricky one isn't it? on 20:24 - Feb 13 with 2107 viewsRyorry

Giving up your seat for old people is a tricky one isn't it? on 20:20 - Feb 13 by sparks

Its a bad analogy- because its based on a safety issue. A woman is not at risk, any more than a man is, because of standing on a train. But she is at a perceived increased risk walking home on her own- so its very different.

In fact, men are far more frequently the victims of violent crime in any event- so even the scenario you describe may be questionable.

Good points, much better made than I managed!

Giving up your seat for old people is a tricky one isn't it? on 20:26 - Feb 13 with 2100 viewsJ2BLUE

Giving up your seat for old people is a tricky one isn't it? on 20:17 - Feb 13 by GlasgowBlue

"he shouldn't be so tight"? What about equality. Why shouldn't she pay?

Besides he's a student and she only lives a few streets away.

You're being trolled.

Truly impaired.

Giving up your seat for old people is a tricky one isn't it? on 20:28 - Feb 13 with 2086 viewsSuperfrans

Giving up your seat for old people is a tricky one isn't it? on 20:10 - Feb 13 by SpruceMoose

I think you're making a lot of sense to be honest. An everyday commute is slightly different than a once a week jolly into town on the number 13 bus.

Cheers. Lucan still thinks I’m a misogynist pig though, I think. ☹️

Giving up your seat for old people is a tricky one isn't it? on 20:30 - Feb 13 with 2074 viewsGlasgowBlue

Giving up your seat for old people is a tricky one isn't it? on 20:26 - Feb 13 by J2BLUE

You're being trolled.

I should have put a smiley face at the end of the first line.

Iron Lion Zion

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024