Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
John Major 15:16 - Feb 28 with 23636 viewsBlueinBrum

Eloquently expressing the many gravely serious problems that we face with Brexit in his speech this afternoon.

I pretty much agree with everything he has said.

You can see full commentary here, i really think it's worth reading. https://www.theguardian.com/politics/blog/live/2018/feb/28/brexit-pmqs-boris-joh
John Major on 15:23 - Feb 28 with 7202 viewsJ2BLUE

Q: What would happen if there were another referendum and it were close?

Major says that, if it were won by one vote, the matter would be settled, as far as he is concerned. “We’ve got to draw a line under [this],” he says.

But only if it's a remain vote eh? Classic keep voting until you get it right stuff. Interesting that the first referendum was too close to be a clear result but a second one could be decided by one vote. Of course he'll soon take that back if leave won by a single vote.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

John Major on 15:25 - Feb 28 with 7189 viewsLord_Lucan

A very underestimated PM - and probably the last decent one we had, although as much as I don’t like Blair he was quite a leader.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

John Major on 15:29 - Feb 28 with 7165 viewsgiant_stow

John Major on 15:23 - Feb 28 by J2BLUE

Major says that, if it were won by one vote, the matter would be settled, as far as he is concerned. “We’ve got to draw a line under [this],” he says.

But only if it's a remain vote eh? Classic keep voting until you get it right stuff. Interesting that the first referendum was too close to be a clear result but a second one could be decided by one vote. Of course he'll soon take that back if leave won by a single vote.

As a leave voter, how are you feeling about the current state of play?

Got a preference on what happens to settle the whole Ireland thing?

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

John Major on 15:30 - Feb 28 with 7164 viewsfooters

I agree, J2. The vote's happened, no point in trying to have a second referendum.

But one thing that should have happened in my opinion would have been to have the referendum on the same terms as the original 'in' vote, ie a super-majority. Seems only sensible and fair that if you ask the question one way, then the opposite question should have the same terms.

I know that makes me sound like a 'remoaner' but for me just shows that any logic over Brexit went out the window a long time ago. There's no room for sensible debate now, only tabloid, childish caricaturism.

As for the OP, again I agree and have been really impressed with some of Major's interventions recently. Maybe his time as PM came too soon? Not that I'm a Tory, natch.

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

John Major on 15:35 - Feb 28 with 7138 viewsJ2BLUE

John Major on 15:29 - Feb 28 by giant_stow

As a leave voter, how are you feeling about the current state of play?

Got a preference on what happens to settle the whole Ireland thing?

I would like to see the final deal, in full. I have no issue with the final deal going to another referendum.

As for Ireland, I think it will probably end with a soft border one way or another. I remain convinced that we either won't leave or it will be such a soft Brexit that it was pointless leaving in the first place. Some will never agree but i'm not buying the 'they didn't know what they were voting for' stuff and 'the single market wasn't on the ballot paper'. Remainers can't say it was down to immigration and then say the single market is still on the table. We all know the four freedoms aren't negotiable. There is far too much BS on both sides. People are all too willing to accept anything which supports their side without being honest enough to really think about it. Again, that is both sides.

Truly impaired.

John Major on 15:36 - Feb 28 with 7134 viewsSteve_M

If people, knowing what they know now about the costs of Brexit, decide that then so be it. The thing is at the moment we don't even have cabinet unity on any position that is actually workable - and if they can't agree what the referendum meant then how can everyone who voted have known?

May's red-lines are mutually incompatible. It is not possible to have an open border between Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland without the UK remaining in at least the customs union and quite possibly the single market as well. The only solution to that is a border in the Irish Sea which sets us on the path to a united Ireland. That's not acceptable to the DUP.

This country is an utter mess at the moment and it comes back to two things about the original referendum: 1) there was no actual defined Brexit and 2) Brexiters promised leaving would be easy and cost-free.

An acceptance of costs and the closeness of the vote 18 months ago would have allowed a sensible withdrawal from the EU, instead we still get a refusal to look at the costs and a continued pretence (albeit a very vague one) that this government has a clue what it is doing. It has no solutions to the mess May has made of the last 18 months.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

John Major on 15:37 - Feb 28 with 7123 viewsjaseitfc

John Major on 15:25 - Feb 28 by Lord_Lucan

A very underestimated PM - and probably the last decent one we had, although as much as I don’t like Blair he was quite a leader.

Blair in terms of charisma is the best we've ever had and an election winning machine- the Labour victory in 2005 was quite something given it was 2 years removed from the invasion of Iraq (though the Tories were pretty weak then and although it was public view that the Iraq war was wrong - the full extent of it wasn't known by 2005)

Domestically you could argue his 10 years as PM made him the best - initially dramatically improved the nhs, cut unemployment (though the figures may have been manipulated a bit) , gave the Welsh and Scots devolution, possibly saved the monarchy, and done wonders I'm in northern Ireland

Up until Iraq his foreign policy was something to be proud of too - especially the liberation of Kosovo

But then you take Iraq into account , and then the economic problems that followed his tebure , the mistep of allowing migrants from 10 EU countrues at once instead of having a staggered approach (if your pro immigration you are in favour of controlled migration as you recognise mass migration can turn the population against migration, making life harder for migrants socially , and economically ) and it taints him
John Major on 15:41 - Feb 28 with 7093 viewsgiant_stow

John Major on 15:35 - Feb 28 by J2BLUE

I would like to see the final deal, in full. I have no issue with the final deal going to another referendum.

As for Ireland, I think it will probably end with a soft border one way or another. I remain convinced that we either won't leave or it will be such a soft Brexit that it was pointless leaving in the first place. Some will never agree but i'm not buying the 'they didn't know what they were voting for' stuff and 'the single market wasn't on the ballot paper'. Remainers can't say it was down to immigration and then say the single market is still on the table. We all know the four freedoms aren't negotiable. There is far too much BS on both sides. People are all too willing to accept anything which supports their side without being honest enough to really think about it. Again, that is both sides.

thanks for replying - interesting.

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Login to get fewer ads

John Major on 15:53 - Feb 28 with 7060 viewsflimflam

John Major on 15:37 - Feb 28 by jaseitfc

Blair in terms of charisma is the best we've ever had and an election winning machine- the Labour victory in 2005 was quite something given it was 2 years removed from the invasion of Iraq (though the Tories were pretty weak then and although it was public view that the Iraq war was wrong - the full extent of it wasn't known by 2005)

Domestically you could argue his 10 years as PM made him the best - initially dramatically improved the nhs, cut unemployment (though the figures may have been manipulated a bit) , gave the Welsh and Scots devolution, possibly saved the monarchy, and done wonders I'm in northern Ireland

Up until Iraq his foreign policy was something to be proud of too - especially the liberation of Kosovo

But then you take Iraq into account , and then the economic problems that followed his tebure , the mistep of allowing migrants from 10 EU countrues at once instead of having a staggered approach (if your pro immigration you are in favour of controlled migration as you recognise mass migration can turn the population against migration, making life harder for migrants socially , and economically ) and it taints him

Easy to be popular when you are spending hundreds of billions you dont actually have and then waltz of into the sunset leaving the mess for someone else to sort out.

The state of this country now is mostly down to him and I doubt we would be having Brexit if he didn't allow uncontrolled immigration to begin on his watch.

All men and women are created, by the, you know the, you know the thing.

John Major on 15:58 - Feb 28 with 7041 viewsjaseitfc

John Major on 15:53 - Feb 28 by flimflam

Easy to be popular when you are spending hundreds of billions you dont actually have and then waltz of into the sunset leaving the mess for someone else to sort out.

The state of this country now is mostly down to him and I doubt we would be having Brexit if he didn't allow uncontrolled immigration to begin on his watch.

I agree ,

Strong cases can be made for and against him.
John Major on 16:03 - Feb 28 with 7031 viewsRadlett_blue

As Ireland is an island, it will be much easier to have a hard, or semi-hard, border between Northern Ireland & the rest of the UK.
The old "hard border" was a bit of a joke anyway. Even my mother used to smuggle stuff across it.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

John Major on 16:05 - Feb 28 with 7030 viewsSwansea_Blue

Indeed. He was solely responsible for the American subprime crisis and global recession. The b@stard. I can't stand the bloke, but let's not over-react. Immigration you may have more of a point, but again the reality and people's responses are not aligned (greatest resentment in areas with least immigration, in general).

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

John Major on 16:09 - Feb 28 with 7011 viewsSwansea_Blue

John Major on 16:03 - Feb 28 by Radlett_blue

As Ireland is an island, it will be much easier to have a hard, or semi-hard, border between Northern Ireland & the rest of the UK.
The old "hard border" was a bit of a joke anyway. Even my mother used to smuggle stuff across it.

I don't think the DUP agree with you on that, and they're needed to get the Maybot over the winning post.

It's a bit of a pickle (not surprisingly).

John Major on 16:10 - Feb 28 with 7012 viewsfooters

John Major on 16:05 - Feb 28 by Swansea_Blue

Indeed. He was solely responsible for the American subprime crisis and global recession. The b@stard. I can't stand the bloke, but let's not over-react. Immigration you may have more of a point, but again the reality and people's responses are not aligned (greatest resentment in areas with least immigration, in general).

I'm never sure whether to blame him, Brown or both for the subprime crisis. Any Chancellor who claims to have ended boom and bust is... well...

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

John Major on 16:13 - Feb 28 with 6997 viewsimsureazzure

Bullseye.
John Major on 16:14 - Feb 28 with 6994 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

John Major on 16:05 - Feb 28 by Swansea_Blue

Hmmmm, funny how people take the credit for themselves when their success is on the back of a booming global economy.

...however, when things go sour, its nothing to do with them and all down to the global economy.

.....no middle ground.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

John Major on 16:15 - Feb 28 with 6986 viewsRadlett_blue

John Major on 16:09 - Feb 28 by Swansea_Blue

I don't think the DUP agree with you on that, and they're needed to get the Maybot over the winning post.

It's a bit of a pickle (not surprisingly).

Yes, the DUP won't have it & will be interesting to see if that brings down the government & forces a General Election. A united Ireland is inevitable eventually, but the DUP will try to stick it out for as long as possible.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

John Major (n/t) on 16:32 - Feb 28 with 6936 viewsSwansea_Blue

John Major on 16:14 - Feb 28 by Marshalls_Mullet

Hmmmm, funny how people take the credit for themselves when their success is on the back of a booming global economy.

...however, when things go sour, its nothing to do with them and all down to the global economy.

.....no middle ground.

I didn't mention anything about them taking credit though. Sure, Labour could have left us in a more resilient position and failed to learn lessons. Yet the 'state of the country today' cannot be laid solely at Labour's door. It's been nearly 8 years since they were in power for a start.
[Post edited 28 Feb 2018 16:35]

John Major on 16:37 - Feb 28 with 6906 viewsnrb1985

How can you say that people knew what they were voting for when the Brexiteers in the cabinet can't even agree on what they voted for?
John Major (n/t) on 16:38 - Feb 28 with 6888 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

John Major (n/t) on 16:32 - Feb 28 by Swansea_Blue

I didn't mention anything about them taking credit though. Sure, Labour could have left us in a more resilient position and failed to learn lessons. Yet the 'state of the country today' cannot be laid solely at Labour's door. It's been nearly 8 years since they were in power for a start.
[Post edited 28 Feb 2018 16:35]

I didnt say that you did.

Just an observation.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

John Major on 16:39 - Feb 28 with 6886 viewsDarth_Koont

Agreed. Felt like Major was the last PM who saw himself as a public servant rather than serving himself.
[Post edited 28 Feb 2018 16:39]

Pronouns: He/Him

John Major on 16:57 - Feb 28 with 6832 viewsBlueBadger

He was a feeble reactionary who only looks good because the current crop(on both sides of the House) are so utterly, utterly piss-poor.

See also: George W Bush in comparison to Donald Trump.
[Post edited 28 Feb 2018 18:14]

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

John Major on 17:09 - Feb 28 with 6794 viewsJ2BLUE

John Major on 16:37 - Feb 28 by nrb1985

How can you say that people knew what they were voting for when the Brexiteers in the cabinet can't even agree on what they voted for?

I think it's very clear that they would all like a hard Brexit but remainers won't let them deliver it. That's a statement not a loaded shot at the remainer cabinet members.

Truly impaired.

John Major on 17:12 - Feb 28 with 6781 viewsDarth_Koont

John Major on 17:09 - Feb 28 by J2BLUE

I think it's very clear that they would all like a hard Brexit but remainers won't let them deliver it. That's a statement not a loaded shot at the remainer cabinet members.

I doubt even a third of the cabinet want a hard Brexit for anything other than the sake of their own careers.

May herself was utterly against it until she got a sniff of power.

Pronouns: He/Him

John Major on 17:15 - Feb 28 with 6765 viewsGlasgowBlue

https://www.strongerin.co.uk/john_major_vote_leave_s_campaign_is_an_unforgivable

May 2016.
"There will not be another referendum on Europe. This is it. The decision we take on June 23 will shape our country, our people and our livelihoods for generations to come".
[Post edited 28 Feb 2018 17:17]

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024