Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
I can understand that it's a game of opinions 12:52 - Mar 7 with 3672 viewsPlums

so, as a number have said, perhaps Mick got his tactics correct and we got a deserved away win.
What I can't understand is why defenders in particular often have a team mate standing in front or to the side of them with no opponent within 10 metres. Instead of passing them the ball, they kick it over their heads and frequently to an opponent. Is it tactics, fear of making a mistake or both?
The rationale defeats me and is probably the root of my frustration with Mick and his team.

It's 106 miles to Portman Road, we've got a full tank of gas, half a round of Port Salut, it's dark... and we're wearing blue tinted sunglasses.
Poll: Which recent triallist should we have signed?

I can understand that it's a game of opinions on 12:59 - Mar 7 with 3630 viewsWickets

I have said for a while that i have no real argument with his tactics away from home but should he use the same tactics in most home games? For me the way we played at Preston and Wed ok fine but at home to Burton, could we have played on the front foot a little more?
I can understand that it's a game of opinions on 13:00 - Mar 7 with 3629 viewsmonty_radio

Some of that is habit, I think. I remember playing in a scratch game in Belgium, and in true Alan Hunter style, striding across to launch into Row Z (if there had beeen such). The look of bewilderment all around, and shaking of heads at "L'Anglais" spoke volumes - as did the repeated utterances that taught me that the French for triangle was triangle.

Blog: Too Many Suspects? – A Swede Ramble

I can understand that it's a game of opinions on 13:03 - Mar 7 with 3604 viewsSomethingBlue

I can understand that it's a game of opinions on 12:59 - Mar 7 by Wickets

I have said for a while that i have no real argument with his tactics away from home but should he use the same tactics in most home games? For me the way we played at Preston and Wed ok fine but at home to Burton, could we have played on the front foot a little more?

Compare the starting lineup against Burton — nobody could say we didn't field an attacking lineup. We were just utterly sh6t and unbalanced and didn't turn up. It happens. You can't just press a button.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

I can understand that it's a game of opinions on 13:20 - Mar 7 with 3570 viewsPlums

I can understand that it's a game of opinions on 13:00 - Mar 7 by monty_radio

Some of that is habit, I think. I remember playing in a scratch game in Belgium, and in true Alan Hunter style, striding across to launch into Row Z (if there had beeen such). The look of bewilderment all around, and shaking of heads at "L'Anglais" spoke volumes - as did the repeated utterances that taught me that the French for triangle was triangle.

Surely that's the essence of coaching? To instill good habits and discourage bad.
The majority of our players are technically better at football than those decisions show. I can't remember the last junior side I saw at any level who do this so it baffles me why a pro one would.

It's 106 miles to Portman Road, we've got a full tank of gas, half a round of Port Salut, it's dark... and we're wearing blue tinted sunglasses.

I can understand that it's a game of opinions on 13:22 - Mar 7 with 3562 viewsPJH

I can understand that it's a game of opinions on 13:00 - Mar 7 by monty_radio

I remember doing a "have it" clearance in a scratch game at Pontins in the mid 1970's.

They were not going to score with the ball travelling towards Morecambe Bay.
I can understand that it's a game of opinions on 13:32 - Mar 7 with 3522 viewsDarth_Koont

I can understand that it's a game of opinions on 13:20 - Mar 7 by Plums

Surely that's the essence of coaching? To instill good habits and discourage bad.
The majority of our players are technically better at football than those decisions show. I can't remember the last junior side I saw at any level who do this so it baffles me why a pro one would.

Because junior sides are pretty poor at closing down space. In the pro game, teams can dominate the opposition and effectively win matches off the ball. All they need is a simple and direct attack.

Pronouns: He/Him

I can understand that it's a game of opinions on 13:45 - Mar 7 with 3475 viewsCurrie10

I'd say it's what's likely to happen further down the passing sequence.

We have less technical players etc, so sure - the players are quite capable of passing the ball to player 2 lets say. Same again after, same again.

However, are we likely to create an awful lot with less technical players - who have worse off the ball movement than sides who spend more on better ball players upon pass 4/5/6 of this sequence?

I think it's that more than anything.
I can understand that it's a game of opinions on 14:41 - Mar 7 with 3384 viewsSaleAway

I can understand that it's a game of opinions on 13:20 - Mar 7 by Plums

Interesting addition to this. I was talking to my neighbour a few months back. His son is Greg Leigh, who is currently at Bury, but was previously at the academy with Man City. One of the things that he struggled to adjust to, when moving from City down to the lower leagues, was that at City, they were always coached to pass into the space, with the intention that the receiving player would recognise the space and move into it - whereas down in League 1, he was passing to space, and it looked like he was "missing" the player, because they weren't moving as he expected them to.

Poll: Which is less impressive?
Blog: Phoenix From the Flames

Login to get fewer ads

I can understand that it's a game of opinions on 14:58 - Mar 7 with 3340 viewsFixed_It

I can understand that it's a game of opinions on 14:41 - Mar 7 by SaleAway

Interesting addition to this. I was talking to my neighbour a few months back. His son is Greg Leigh, who is currently at Bury, but was previously at the academy with Man City. One of the things that he struggled to adjust to, when moving from City down to the lower leagues, was that at City, they were always coached to pass into the space, with the intention that the receiving player would recognise the space and move into it - whereas down in League 1, he was passing to space, and it looked like he was "missing" the player, because they weren't moving as he expected them to.

So Luke Hyam would be awesome playing for Man City?

Actually, that might explain some of Celina's misplaced passes...

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

I can understand that it's a game of opinions on 18:02 - Mar 7 with 3217 viewsPlums

That is indeed interesting and says more about the coaching than the players at lower levels. When aspirations are so low, it’s hardly surprising that much of the Football League and the national team are crap.

The FA are trying to change it but it’s going to take a generation at least.
[Post edited 7 Mar 2018 18:03]

I can understand that it's a game of opinions on 22:03 - Mar 7 with 3088 viewsPlums

I can understand that it's a game of opinions on 13:32 - Mar 7 by Darth_Koont

Because junior sides are pretty poor at closing down space. In the pro game, teams can dominate the opposition and effectively win matches off the ball. All they need is a simple and direct attack.

Fair enough but smacking the ball in the rough direction of a striker may be direct and simple but it’s a pretty random approach.

I can understand that it's a game of opinions on 22:19 - Mar 7 with 3066 viewsMeadowlark

Anyone else noted the ubiquitous use of the phrases "on the front foot" & "on the back foot" in commentaries? I don't necessarily disagree with their use now and then, but not all the bleedin' time please.
There must be other terms that could be used. The
I can understand that it's a game of opinions on 22:30 - Mar 7 with 3047 viewsStNeotsBlue

This isn't anything new or revolutionary though, I'm 43 but as a youth it was all about the pass and move triangles throughout the pitch. Our current team is fantastic at the work they do off the ball but lacks the guile to dominant games and possession isn't considered a priority.

If Huws can get and stay fit, plus Dozzell returning we will be an entirely different team next season.
I can understand that it's a game of opinions on 22:42 - Mar 7 with 3013 viewsDarth_Koont

I can understand that it's a game of opinions on 22:03 - Mar 7 by Plums

Fair enough but smacking the ball in the rough direction of a striker may be direct and simple but it’s a pretty random approach.

Not really. Certainly no more random than trying to walk the ball into the net through a packed defence.

Pronouns: He/Him

I can understand that it's a game of opinions on 22:52 - Mar 7 with 2990 viewsTendring_Blue

I can understand that it's a game of opinions on 12:59 - Mar 7 by Wickets

you see I don't think he plays the same tactics at home, he does try to attack. We just don't have any real quality to break down teams that sit in like Burton and QPR did. Could have been different with Huws and Dozzell, and I thought Bishop played very well against QPR until he got injured again.

Against Cardiff we passed the ball around reasonably well I thought, but we lacked the extra spark to actually open them up. In the end the jammy bug8er Colin did us again.

I must say I'm totally on the fence on this whole Manager issue, I not convinced it will make any difference. Don't care either way, I support the team and don't really enjoy this whole Manager sideshow that goes on in modern football.

As you say, many opinions!
[Post edited 7 Mar 2018 22:57]
I can understand that it's a game of opinions on 10:50 - Mar 8 with 2831 viewsWickets

I can understand that it's a game of opinions on 13:03 - Mar 7 by SomethingBlue

Compare the starting lineup against Burton — nobody could say we didn't field an attacking lineup. We were just utterly sh6t and unbalanced and didn't turn up. It happens. You can't just press a button.

As the OP says all about opinions, i was not talking about who played that day but more about where we played on the pitch, sitting back on the edge of our box hoping to hit Burton on the break. Trouble was they did not attack much themselves. Result boring 0-0 . IMO.
I can understand that it's a game of opinions on 12:19 - Mar 8 with 2783 viewsitfcjoe

I think the main problem is we clearly go into that mode at certain situations.

We weren't really going long until we went 1 up, and then as soon as we did we defend like it's the last minute of the game - get the ball as far away from our goal as quickly as possible, when a lot of the time it isn't necessary.

Means we very rarely build on a 1 goal lead, we don't keep doing the right things for fear of making a mistake

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024