Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Looking to buy a watch 08:23 - Mar 21 with 78111 viewsJakeITFC

Any recommendations of brands to go for or avoid?

Looking to spend <£1k so am I better to look second hand for a better brand on Watchfinder or buy a top end model from a lesser brand? Any up and comers you’d recommend?

In terms of model I’m thinking a sports type watch - Rolex Seamaster type thing.
Looking to buy a watch on 11:35 - Mar 24 with 3572 viewsJ2BLUE

Looking to buy a watch on 11:29 - Mar 24 by BrixtonBlue

It's not something I do regularly and IS something I consider a treat. You're missing the point about normality. It's normal as in THAT'S WHAT IT IS. That IS the price (and often more) in central London restaurants. There's no discussion on whether it's normal or not. It's a fact.

I appreciate other people can't afford that but that's a million miles away from the point.

People having treats within their means is one thing. It's a meal. We have to eat. It's just nice having a really good one, compared to what you're used to, sometimes. I wouldn't begrudge a wealthy person paying way more than that for their own version of a treat.

That's a million miles away from someone spending thousands on a watch. Someone above was talking about £10k for a watch. That is OBSCENE IMO. The £90 meal is likely worth that price compared to a meal in McDonalds. How can you justify that the £10k watch is THAT much better than Ryorry's £30 watch? They both do exactly the same thing. Glassers has even admitted that Rolex's aren't even very good at telling the time. THEIR ONE JOB!!

Frankly, I'm struggling to see how YOU'RE struggling to see the difference.

Having a nice meal isn't a status symbol that you show off to others. Only the person or people you're with (plus the waiter) sees it. A flashy watch isn't even there for the necessity of telling the time (we all have a phone that does that). It's purely there for SHOW. That's the difference. I don't eat a nice meal for show.

It's interesting that TWTD, once again, descends into an ad hominem argument. I had a nice meal once, so I can't say spending thousands on a watch is wrong. I write Haribo ads, so I can't say McDonalds food isn't healthy. I think "No ad hominem argumentative strategies" should be in Phil's Ts & Cs for this site!

Can you say spending £10k on a watch is wrong? I completely agree that it's something I find odd but is it wrong? I can't say it is. How someone else spends their money is their business.

Personally, if I had £10k i'd much prefer some dividend stocks paying me £500 a year or so to do something more interesting with but I can't say someone is wrong for getting pleasure from a watch, as odd as I find it.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Looking to buy a watch on 11:48 - Mar 24 with 3553 viewsbluefunk

It's not something I do regularly and IS something I consider a treat. You're missing the point about normality. It's normal as in THAT'S WHAT IT IS. That IS the price (and often more) in central London restaurants. There's no discussion on whether it's normal or not. It's a fact.

I appreciate other people can't afford that but that's a million miles away from the point.

People having treats within their means is one thing. It's a meal. We have to eat. It's just nice having a really good one, compared to what you're used to, sometimes. I wouldn't begrudge a wealthy person paying way more than that for their own version of a treat.

That's a million miles away from someone spending thousands on a watch. Someone above was talking about £10k for a watch. That is OBSCENE IMO. The £90 meal is likely worth that price compared to a meal in McDonalds. How can you justify that the £10k watch is THAT much better than Ryorry's £30 watch? They both do exactly the same thing. Glassers has even admitted that Rolex's aren't even very good at telling the time. THEIR ONE JOB!!

Having a nice meal isn't a status symbol that you show off to others. Only the person or people you're with (plus the waiter) sees it. A flashy watch isn't even there for the necessity of telling the time (we all have a phone that does that). It's purely there for SHOW. That's the difference. I don't eat a nice meal for show.

It's interesting that TWTD, once again, descends into an ad hominem argument. I had a nice meal once, so I can't say spending thousands on a watch is wrong. I write Haribo ads, so I can't say McDonalds food isn't healthy. I think "No ad hominem argumentative strategies" should be in Phil's Ts & Cs for this site!

It’s a fact that Rolex watches cost several thousand pounds (other brands which cost several thousand are avialble) that is the price and that’s normal as in that’s what it is, to use your words. I appreciate that many can’t afford it and how does that differ from your arguement about a meal in an expensve restaurant.

People need to tell the time, it’s nice to have a beautifully crafted watch to do so which you may have bought yourself or been gifted as a treat or for a celebration, that is no different to your arguement about that extortionate meal you bought.

Perhaps the reason you get attacked for your views is that you come across as hypocritical - as in “I can spend that if I choose to but the same can’t apply to other people”

By the way the reason GBs Rolex doesn’t keep time that we’ll is because it was an old one, modern ones keep perfect time

Edited for spelling
[Post edited 24 Mar 2018 11:50]
Looking to buy a watch on 11:54 - Mar 24 with 3541 viewsBrixtonBlue

Looking to buy a watch on 11:35 - Mar 24 by J2BLUE

Can you say spending £10k on a watch is wrong? I completely agree that it's something I find odd but is it wrong? I can't say it is. How someone else spends their money is their business.

Personally, if I had £10k i'd much prefer some dividend stocks paying me £500 a year or so to do something more interesting with but I can't say someone is wrong for getting pleasure from a watch, as odd as I find it.

Sorry, that was badly worded that last bit. I was in full on rant mode!

I have said several times in the thread it's just my opinion that it's vulgar/each to their own/people can spend their money how they wish.

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Looking to buy a watch on 11:57 - Mar 24 with 3540 viewsRyorry

My watch was c £14 actually! you got me mixed up with Ronnyd's Sekonda on p7.

Live and let live. People spend on whatever their obsession is anyway - football season tickets, clothes, wine, art, watches - if they have the money, it's not obscene to spend it on a watch any more than it is on any of those things, albeit you'd hope that most having the wherewithal to spend like that will also contributing a decent chunk to charities

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Looking to buy a watch on 12:03 - Mar 24 with 3534 viewsbrogansnose

I'm surprised that so many people are into watches. I haven't worn one for years and don't feel the need what with modern phones. Not a knock, just surprised.
Looking to buy a watch on 12:05 - Mar 24 with 3526 viewsBrixtonBlue

Looking to buy a watch on 11:48 - Mar 24 by bluefunk

It’s a fact that Rolex watches cost several thousand pounds (other brands which cost several thousand are avialble) that is the price and that’s normal as in that’s what it is, to use your words. I appreciate that many can’t afford it and how does that differ from your arguement about a meal in an expensve restaurant.

People need to tell the time, it’s nice to have a beautifully crafted watch to do so which you may have bought yourself or been gifted as a treat or for a celebration, that is no different to your arguement about that extortionate meal you bought.

Perhaps the reason you get attacked for your views is that you come across as hypocritical - as in “I can spend that if I choose to but the same can’t apply to other people”

By the way the reason GBs Rolex doesn’t keep time that we’ll is because it was an old one, modern ones keep perfect time

Edited for spelling
[Post edited 24 Mar 2018 11:50]

Thousands of pounds for a watch isn't the norm. If you go out for a decent meal and drinks in central London, £90 for two is quite normal. If i lived in Hartlepool I wouldn't have to pay that for a decent meal. But I don't. I live in London.

"People need to tell the time" is an argument I've already dealt with. You have a phone with the time on it. I've not worn a watch in 25 years but I'm still able to tell the time. Then again a £30 watch tells the time just as well as a watch costing thousands. How do you justify that difference? Does it really look that much nicer? "Beautifully crafted"? One linked to on this thread that I looked at was very plain.

"Extortionate meal". Again something I've already dealt with. £90 for a 3 course meal with decent wine for two people isn't extortionate.

I don't think you quite grasp what ad hominem is and what hypocrisy is. It is perfectly acceptable for someone to spend £90 on above said meal and at and the same time think that thousands on a wrist-based status symbol is ridiculous. They are so far apart your hypocrisy accusation is ridiculous.

Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Looking to buy a watch on 12:07 - Mar 24 with 3524 viewsJ2BLUE

Looking to buy a watch on 11:54 - Mar 24 by BrixtonBlue

Sorry, that was badly worded that last bit. I was in full on rant mode!

I have said several times in the thread it's just my opinion that it's vulgar/each to their own/people can spend their money how they wish.

Fair enough.

I feel the same way about cars to be honest.

Truly impaired.

Looking to buy a watch on 12:13 - Mar 24 with 3514 viewsBrixtonBlue

Looking to buy a watch on 11:57 - Mar 24 by Ryorry

My watch was c £14 actually! you got me mixed up with Ronnyd's Sekonda on p7.

Live and let live. People spend on whatever their obsession is anyway - football season tickets, clothes, wine, art, watches - if they have the money, it's not obscene to spend it on a watch any more than it is on any of those things, albeit you'd hope that most having the wherewithal to spend like that will also contributing a decent chunk to charities

I've said "live and let live" or words to that effect many times in this thread. I'm just giving my opinion on watches that cost thousands. The other things you list are different discussions in themselves.

Certainly an Ipswich Town season ticket isn't a status symbol. Quite the opposite in fact!

I think 'status symbols' is the nub of what I'm really against. Material goods that are designed to show how wealthy you are... to show that you're 'better' than others. I firmly believe this is what very expensive watches are for. Let's not kid ourselves that people actually buy them as an investment. There are loads of better ways to invest. And they're certainly not better at their supposed job of telling the time than watches like your £14 one. I imagine it looks alright as well.

Login to get fewer ads

Looking to buy a watch on 12:14 - Mar 24 with 3513 viewsBluebell

Looking to buy a watch on 12:03 - Mar 24 by brogansnose

I'm surprised that so many people are into watches. I haven't worn one for years and don't feel the need what with modern phones. Not a knock, just surprised.

I do like something on my wrist and even if I don't wear one I still look at my wrist for the time.

I always carry a phone but never use that for the time. For the last year or so I have been wearing a Fitbit mainly as I am exercising a lot and it gives me the incentive. I use that to tell the time now.

On the same theme, Mr Bluebell hasn't worn a watch for 20+ years. His father gave him his used Rolex many years ago and he used to wear it all the time. One day he lost it on the golf course. It was never found. The insurance paid up for a replacement, the value of a new watch. He couldn't find a Rolex he liked so bought a Longine for the same value. It is a lovely watch but still remains in it's box after 25 years, never worn.
Looking to buy a watch on 12:21 - Mar 24 with 3504 viewsBluebell

Looking to buy a watch on 12:13 - Mar 24 by BrixtonBlue

I've said "live and let live" or words to that effect many times in this thread. I'm just giving my opinion on watches that cost thousands. The other things you list are different discussions in themselves.

Certainly an Ipswich Town season ticket isn't a status symbol. Quite the opposite in fact!

I think 'status symbols' is the nub of what I'm really against. Material goods that are designed to show how wealthy you are... to show that you're 'better' than others. I firmly believe this is what very expensive watches are for. Let's not kid ourselves that people actually buy them as an investment. There are loads of better ways to invest. And they're certainly not better at their supposed job of telling the time than watches like your £14 one. I imagine it looks alright as well.

I certainly agree with you about an expensive watch. Up until the time I got my Fitbit I just used to wear cheap ones that I got from Argos. I have a gold one with rubies which is probably worth £5000 that was given to me by my mother-in-law but think it is pretentious so have never worn it.

I certainly don't ever look at a man and think "My God, he is wearing a Rolex, he must have a lot of money!"

We also pay well over £90 for meal quite often. In fact tomorrow we are taking the family out as it is Mr Bluebell's birthday and I doubt we will get much change from £400 for 6 of us. The reason is that we can!

However people spend their money is entirely up to them and if they buy something they love then good on them.
Looking to buy a watch on 12:27 - Mar 24 with 3494 viewsLord_Lucan

Looking to buy a watch on 12:14 - Mar 24 by Bluebell

I do like something on my wrist and even if I don't wear one I still look at my wrist for the time.

I always carry a phone but never use that for the time. For the last year or so I have been wearing a Fitbit mainly as I am exercising a lot and it gives me the incentive. I use that to tell the time now.

On the same theme, Mr Bluebell hasn't worn a watch for 20+ years. His father gave him his used Rolex many years ago and he used to wear it all the time. One day he lost it on the golf course. It was never found. The insurance paid up for a replacement, the value of a new watch. He couldn't find a Rolex he liked so bought a Longine for the same value. It is a lovely watch but still remains in it's box after 25 years, never worn.

Sell it to Jake.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Looking to buy a watch on 12:28 - Mar 24 with 3489 viewsRyorry

Looking to buy a watch on 12:13 - Mar 24 by BrixtonBlue

I was talking about spending, not "status symbols". Tbh, at first sight, any Rolex on a man's wrist would be more likely to put me off them than turn me on! (tho I'd of course be open to a drink and a chat, during the course of which I might change my mind ...)

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Looking to buy a watch on 12:51 - Mar 24 with 3471 viewsitfcjoe

The issue is you try and defend your position by defending something that is as indefensible by the same measures.

£2k for a watch is excessive. £100 for bangers and mash is excessive. They both are what they are, and cost what they cost. Neither are a rip off in that you get something of the correct value in return for your purchase.

Also it isn’t that you write ads for haribo that made you a hypocrite- it was that you were defending them as a treat compared to McDs which is also a treat for many

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Looking to buy a watch on 13:00 - Mar 24 with 3466 viewsBrixtonBlue

Looking to buy a watch on 12:51 - Mar 24 by itfcjoe

The issue is you try and defend your position by defending something that is as indefensible by the same measures.

£2k for a watch is excessive. £100 for bangers and mash is excessive. They both are what they are, and cost what they cost. Neither are a rip off in that you get something of the correct value in return for your purchase.

Also it isn’t that you write ads for haribo that made you a hypocrite- it was that you were defending them as a treat compared to McDs which is also a treat for many

LOL, classic TWTD. Exaggeration, check. Being economical with the truth, check.

You've used the lower end of expensive watches.

You've added £10 to my meal.

Instead of calling it what it was you've gone for the most base, cheap-sounding description (bangers and mash).

You've ignored the setting, the drinks, the fact it was for two people...

In the Haribo v McDonalds debate I was discussing with someone who has McDonalds once a week as a main meal, versus a sweet... which isn't a main meal.

Sigh. I'll leave it there.

Looking to buy a watch on 13:04 - Mar 24 with 3455 viewsBrixtonBlue

Looking to buy a watch on 12:21 - Mar 24 by Bluebell

I certainly agree with you about an expensive watch. Up until the time I got my Fitbit I just used to wear cheap ones that I got from Argos. I have a gold one with rubies which is probably worth £5000 that was given to me by my mother-in-law but think it is pretentious so have never worn it.

I certainly don't ever look at a man and think "My God, he is wearing a Rolex, he must have a lot of money!"

We also pay well over £90 for meal quite often. In fact tomorrow we are taking the family out as it is Mr Bluebell's birthday and I doubt we will get much change from £400 for 6 of us. The reason is that we can!

However people spend their money is entirely up to them and if they buy something they love then good on them.

"I certainly don't ever look at a man and think "My God, he is wearing a Rolex, he must have a lot of money!""

There's only really three things you could think if seeing a man wearing a Rolex I guess - he's either rich, it's a fake, or he's a drug dealer.

"However people spend their money is entirely up to them"

FFS, why do people keeping putting this in replies to me?! I've said this about 100 times in this thread. Garrrrrrrrr!!!!!!

Looking to buy a watch on 13:06 - Mar 24 with 3451 viewsBenters2

Looking to buy a watch on 13:00 - Mar 24 by BrixtonBlue

Instead of calling it what it was you've gone for the most base, cheap-sounding description (bangers and mash).

In the Haribo v McDonalds debate I was discussing with someone who has McDonalds once a week as a main meal, versus a sweet... which isn't a main meal.

£10 was for a tip i believe?
Looking to buy a watch on 13:07 - Mar 24 with 3450 viewsJ2BLUE

I don't want to start it up again and i'm off out to play golf in a minute but every time you bring up the Mcdonalds thing you don't actually get it right.

My point was that it really doesn't matter if someone has one 700 calorie McDonalds as a meal or seven one hundred calorie treats over a week. You then went off on one about me comparing people eating 700 calories of Haribo a day which I didn't do.

A calorie is a calorie. The average man needs about 17500 calories over a week. Using the 80/20 rule that is 3500 calories where you can have a few treats if you eat healthily for the other 80%.

That's my way of looking at it. McDonalds quite clearly isn't health food. 700 calories of it over a week isn't going to hurt anyone if the rest of their diet is sound.

Have a good day. I always go to play golf expecting to be Tiger Woods. Once I get there I remember i'm crap.

Truly impaired.

Looking to buy a watch on 13:12 - Mar 24 with 3442 viewsitfcjoe

ok, you’re right and everyone else is picking on you.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Looking to buy a watch on 13:15 - Mar 24 with 3432 viewsGlasgowBlue

Looking to buy a watch on 13:12 - Mar 24 by itfcjoe

Blimey Joe. How long has it taken you to see how TWTD works for Dollers?

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Looking to buy a watch on 13:27 - Mar 24 with 3412 viewsBrixtonBlue

Looking to buy a watch on 13:12 - Mar 24 by itfcjoe

Add another couple of classic cliches;

'Say I'm saying everyone is picking on me when I've said nothing of the sort.'
'Say "everyone" rather than just your own name to make it look like everyone backs you up.'
'Say all this in order to ignore all the points I've just made.
'Ditto "ok, you're right.'

And of course the classic;
'As if by magic Glassers will turn up to have a little dig.'

on 13:30 - Mar 24 with 3411 views_

Looking to buy a watch on 13:04 - Mar 24 by BrixtonBlue

"I certainly don't ever look at a man and think "My God, he is wearing a Rolex, he must have a lot of money!""

There's only really three things you could think if seeing a man wearing a Rolex I guess - he's either rich, it's a fake, or he's a drug dealer.

"However people spend their money is entirely up to them"

FFS, why do people keeping putting this in replies to me?! I've said this about 100 times in this thread. Garrrrrrrrr!!!!!!

Looking to buy a watch on 13:58 - Mar 24 with 3396 viewsBrixtonBlue

on 13:30 - Mar 24 by _

Just giving my opinion and stating my case. Don't think anything I've said is "daft" and Joe hasn't "put me on my backside" in any sense of the word, but people can feel free to disagree.

BTW, now you've got your pop at me out of your system, do you want to add your thoughts to the actual debate?

on 14:09 - Mar 24 with 3386 views_

Looking to buy a watch on 13:58 - Mar 24 by BrixtonBlue

Just giving my opinion and stating my case. Don't think anything I've said is "daft" and Joe hasn't "put me on my backside" in any sense of the word, but people can feel free to disagree.

BTW, now you've got your pop at me out of your system, do you want to add your thoughts to the actual debate?

Looking to buy a watch on 14:15 - Mar 24 with 3376 viewsBrixtonBlue

on 14:09 - Mar 24 by _

How in the sweet sweet name of baby Jesus have I picked an argument with Joe?!?! He had a dig at me, I responded. How on Earth do you work out that's me picking an argument?

If you have nothing to add to the debate (it started off as a request for advice but as per most things on TWTD it's moved on to a debate) then your only reason for being here is to tell me off?

on 14:42 - Mar 24 with 3366 views_

Looking to buy a watch on 14:15 - Mar 24 by BrixtonBlue

How in the sweet sweet name of baby Jesus have I picked an argument with Joe?!?! He had a dig at me, I responded. How on Earth do you work out that's me picking an argument?

If you have nothing to add to the debate (it started off as a request for advice but as per most things on TWTD it's moved on to a debate) then your only reason for being here is to tell me off?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024