Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Mick in the Guardian 13:19 - Apr 13 with 24823 viewsitfcjoe

Think this is a decent enough piece

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2018/apr/13/mick-mcarthy-forced-out-ip

The kind of all-too-common, delicate football-going flowers who are only too happy to dish out relentless abuse but swoon like Victorian ladies when any comes back their way

and

Worryingly, it sounded like the cruel baying of an angry, entitled mob of ingrates determined to stick a few last boots into the twitching corpse of an otherwise well-respected man

Made me laugh

And for balance so the numbskulls don't cry

Whatever you make of this contradictory stance, their frustrations are completely understandable. They are bored with the tedium of it all. They have not seen their team contest an FA Cup fourth-round match in six years. They have not beaten Norwich in nine attempts. Attendances are dwindling accordingly.

Change is overdue. They know it and so did McCarthy.
[Post edited 13 Apr 2018 13:22]

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Mick in the Guardian on 18:39 - Apr 13 with 4130 viewsSpruceMoose

Mick in the Guardian on 18:38 - Apr 13 by blue75

Jeez dude how old r yer monitor haven’t used one of those since the 90’s!!

Old enough not to type in text talk.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Mick in the Guardian on 18:48 - Apr 13 with 4142 viewsDanFord

Mick in the Guardian on 16:54 - Apr 13 by Darth_Koont

Glendenning is over-egging it but is still right to point it out.

Has Watson ever condemned any of this? Or is he trying not to offend his and his paper's customers?

That journo seems to have lost the plot on Twitter now. He must be a mate of Micks?

Poll: Would you be willing to consider a new club crest?

Mick in the Guardian on 18:58 - Apr 13 with 4122 viewsblue75

Mick in the Guardian on 18:39 - Apr 13 by SpruceMoose

Old enough not to type in text talk.

Oh I’m awfully sorry old bean, I’m quite an uneducated dude and type as I speak!! Suffolk born Suffolk bred strong in the arm and thick in the head.

Poll: Should McCarthy be sacked after telling Ipswich fans where to go?

Mick in the Guardian on 19:00 - Apr 13 with 4094 viewsSpruceMoose

Mick in the Guardian on 18:58 - Apr 13 by blue75

Oh I’m awfully sorry old bean, I’m quite an uneducated dude and type as I speak!! Suffolk born Suffolk bred strong in the arm and thick in the head.

Don't tar all us Suffolk folk as thickies!

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."

Mick in the Guardian on 19:09 - Apr 13 with 4098 viewslinhdi

Mick in the Guardian on 16:54 - Apr 13 by Darth_Koont

Glendenning is over-egging it but is still right to point it out.

Has Watson ever condemned any of this? Or is he trying not to offend his and his paper's customers?

Watson - or, rather, the EADT - have been amongst the primary sh1tstirrers for the last few years. Especially the for-a-long-time anonymous "Northstander" who turned out to be a bit of an Archant insider when he finally outed himself.

It's almost as if Archant were owned and run out of Norwich. Oh.
Mick in the Guardian on 19:11 - Apr 13 with 4088 viewsblue75

Mick in the Guardian on 19:00 - Apr 13 by SpruceMoose

Don't tar all us Suffolk folk as thickies!

I’m not surely you know that saying it’s like you very old.

Mick in the Guardian on 19:12 - Apr 13 with 4067 viewsSpruceMoose

Mick in the Guardian on 19:11 - Apr 13 by blue75

I’m not surely you know that saying it’s like you very old.

I might be very old though.

Mick in the Guardian on 19:15 - Apr 13 with 4079 viewsDarth_Koont

Mick in the Guardian on 18:29 - Apr 13 by blue75

Why has the note waving been brought up doesn’t mention they waved notes at us after administration!! Mick telling us to Fu** off at Naaridge it wasn’t what he said but the anger on his face that concerned me, how could someone with that much hatred for us manage our team!! Not fair on him or us.

I've got a lot of hatred for the people singing that song too. Embarrassing, counter-productive and just downright wrong on this occasion based on what had happened/was happening in the game..

A F*** Off from 70 yards away was letting them off easy.

Pronouns: He/Him

Login to get fewer ads

Mick in the Guardian on 19:17 - Apr 13 with 4068 viewsblue75

Mick in the Guardian on 19:12 - Apr 13 by SpruceMoose

I might be very old though.

Yeah man you is still using a monitor super old school.

Mick in the Guardian on 19:18 - Apr 13 with 4048 viewsSpruceMoose

Mick in the Guardian on 19:17 - Apr 13 by blue75

Yeah man you is still using a monitor super old school.

Isn't it supposed to be 'Skool'? I can't keep up with you kids.

Mick in the Guardian on 19:20 - Apr 13 with 4062 viewsVaughan8

Just read the article and it doesn't seem to suggest that the fans booing etc was a minority and not everyone.

Also, this F off in the Norwich game is fairly conclusive it was towards the fans. I know he has had abuse and fans saying his football is sh!t, but that was the begining of the end.
I know it's slightly different, but I get difficult clients, even some who swear at you, but I'm not able to and not would I swear back. If I did I would most probably be sacked.

As I said, slightly different but same principle.

I don't like our club being seen in a bad light, and I think a lot of media people are getting his all wrong.

Some fans have behaved bad, but the majority have been very fair. The Lincoln game was unforgivable. National humiliation. But he never got much stick for that.

I didn't mind Mick, but I think a change is needed for both.
Mick in the Guardian on 19:20 - Apr 13 with 4061 viewsblue75

Mick in the Guardian on 19:18 - Apr 13 by SpruceMoose

Isn't it supposed to be 'Skool'? I can't keep up with you kids.

No I spell it like that I like to mix and match.

Mick in the Guardian on 19:20 - Apr 13 with 4061 viewsLord_Lucan

Mick in the Guardian on 19:09 - Apr 13 by linhdi

Watson - or, rather, the EADT - have been amongst the primary sh1tstirrers for the last few years. Especially the for-a-long-time anonymous "Northstander" who turned out to be a bit of an Archant insider when he finally outed himself.

To be fair Mr Edwards your post doesn’t hold up given the circumstances.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Mick in the Guardian on 19:25 - Apr 13 with 4049 viewsPJH

Mick in the Guardian on 19:09 - Apr 13 by linhdi

None other than the ex Editor I believe.
Mick in the Guardian on 19:29 - Apr 13 with 4043 viewsGeoffSentence

Mick in the Guardian on 13:24 - Apr 13 by SpruceMoose

Sadly those involved in this shameful behaviour will be along to post that he doesn't know what he's talking about and the happy clappers are the people ruining the club. They walk around with a smile on their face and crap in their pants.

Some of what he writes about some fans is so spot on it's almost as if Glendenning has been reading this forum for the last three months...

I think he might have been and that's where he has got his info from rather than actually being at the ground. He is coming across as a bit of a cockwomble on his twitter feed, suggesting he knows more about the atmosphere at FPR than the local sports reporter who attends every game.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Mick in the Guardian on 20:18 - Apr 13 with 3987 viewsstonojnr

Mick in the Guardian on 18:48 - Apr 13 by DanFord

That journo seems to have lost the plot on Twitter now. He must be a mate of Micks?

He's argumentative for sure :) We sure it's not Mick writing under a pseudonym or something
Mick in the Guardian on 00:20 - Apr 14 with 3916 viewsquirkie

Just read the article, this struck me from the comments, I'll quote it, if it was done from someone on this forum, well done sir/madam, you are spot on.

"As an Ipswich ST holder, I’ve had to watch plenty of Mick’s football over the past five years. Yes, it’s functional and risk averse, but it’s also effective on the whole, especially on the budgets we are operating under.
Like many clubs, we have a number of entitled, aggressive numbskulls who play too much Football Manager or watch TV and think, if an idiot like Robbie Savage can be a pundit, so can I. As a result, these people delight in second guessing a professional manager like McCarthy and don’t consider that he may have information they don’t (that a player may be being substituted because he’s injured or knackered). They assume they could just as effectively call the shots.
But where Mick really fell down however is in engaging in a war of words with these fans. However much they might have deserved a few cuss words, he poured oil on the flames.
He also mis-read how much discontent with the wider fanbase there was over his footballing style, which was too often too cautious, risk averse and without adventure.
Ultimately, though, it was time to go because something needed to change. We have been in the Championship 15 years solid now. We’ve only once in 12/13 years made the playoffs, and regularly hovered around 12th, 13th, 14th.
The sense of boredom around the club is palpable, and illustrated by the 13,000 “official” attendance figures in recent months (although, with many season ticket holders simply not bothering to use their season tickets, probably at least 1-2,000 less than that).
Being the longest serving manager in the Championship is not a strength in such circumstances, it became a weight on Mick’s back. With nothing else likely to change any time soon, too many fans felt it is simply time for a change - as did club owner Marcus Evans.
You will find plenty of Ipswich fans who agree that change is needed, but who also know it is a huge risk. Of course, we could plummet into the next division - and we remain proud to be the only club outside of a handful of huge clubs (Arsenal, Spurs, ManU, Liverpool, Everton etc) not to have fallen outside the top two divisions in the past half-century.
But grinding out mid-table finishes, with uninspiring football led by a dour manager who had fallen out with a significant section of the fanbase was not a situation which could continue."

Now I've been a Town supporter from 1978 but I watch from afar, 700 mile round trip for me to Portman road (live in West Cornwall), so can only see the occasional game. Tomorrow I'm off to see Plymouth v Portsmouth, a mere 120 round trip. I've banged on a few times about Argyle this year, bottom at end of November, 5th now and looking to cement the play offs. What changed? The manager listened to the fans and went from playing negatively to positively, and Argyle have reaped the rewards.

That is all I'm saying as a Town fan, get a manager who plays positive football, want to have a try at a cup run, take some risks up front. May not work out but will give the fans some entertainment for their £££s.

Have a safe trip and good day to all those going to Forest (another club suffering a bit).

Poll: How long will we be in League One/League Two from next season?

Mick in the Guardian on 08:19 - Apr 14 with 3829 viewstextbackup

WHen will all the previous manager posts stop?

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Mick in the Guardian on 08:27 - Apr 14 with 3824 viewsmaccyd9

Mick in the Guardian on 08:19 - Apr 14 by textbackup

Tedious in the extreme.

He's gone thankfully and people really need to move on.

Mick had lost the plot, both on and off the field. He's gone and the club can move on should should the fans.
Mick in the Guardian on 09:01 - Apr 14 with 3809 viewsPopeye

I think MM thought he was going to be offered another contract and is bitter because he wasn’t. We don’t know what was really said between MM and ME in the meeting when it was decided to part company but MM’s version of events that he had run its course i believe is just to save face, to protect brand McCarthy and I think ME agreed that he could say that to the press. MM was planning for next season so he clearly though he was staying. I’m not so sure it was a mutual decision. MM was angry that the situation was dragging on and asked to see ME to discuss. ME was taking his time over the decision so must of been having doubts about MM otherwise he would have just offered him another contract there and then. If it was a mutual decision then why is MM so bitter?
MM has said previously that fans attitude towards him doesn’t affect his decisions but it’s obvious that the abuse he suffered has affected him so maybe he isn’t so thick skinned as he appears to be. He didn’t enjoy being a caretaker of his own job, but he agreed to stay to the end of the season but then wanted out early, just doesn’t sound to me like it’s as black and white as ME/MM would have us believe.
Mick in the Guardian on 09:04 - Apr 14 with 3802 viewsbluesym

Not for a while yet i would imagine.Still too many people on both sides of the fence looking for the last word.
So tedious.

Poll: Is Micheal Mcintyre actually funny?

Bit like all the tweets, eh? (n/t) on 09:47 - Apr 14 with 3769 viewsBloots

Elite Level Poster: Elite Level Supporter: Elite Level Human

Mick in the Guardian on 10:57 - Apr 14 with 3750 viewsitfcjoe

We haven't even played a game since yet - sure once the football starts again in a few hours it will die down!

But we've only changed managers 5 times in 20 years so surely fair enough to talk about it 2 days after it has happened - especially when the manager had become so divisive!

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

spot on, heh (n/t) on 11:00 - Apr 14 with 3743 viewsDyland

Mick in the Guardian on 00:20 - Apr 14 by quirkie

Just read the article, this struck me from the comments, I'll quote it, if it was done from someone on this forum, well done sir/madam, you are spot on.

"As an Ipswich ST holder, I’ve had to watch plenty of Mick’s football over the past five years. Yes, it’s functional and risk averse, but it’s also effective on the whole, especially on the budgets we are operating under.
Like many clubs, we have a number of entitled, aggressive numbskulls who play too much Football Manager or watch TV and think, if an idiot like Robbie Savage can be a pundit, so can I. As a result, these people delight in second guessing a professional manager like McCarthy and don’t consider that he may have information they don’t (that a player may be being substituted because he’s injured or knackered). They assume they could just as effectively call the shots.
But where Mick really fell down however is in engaging in a war of words with these fans. However much they might have deserved a few cuss words, he poured oil on the flames.
He also mis-read how much discontent with the wider fanbase there was over his footballing style, which was too often too cautious, risk averse and without adventure.
Ultimately, though, it was time to go because something needed to change. We have been in the Championship 15 years solid now. We’ve only once in 12/13 years made the playoffs, and regularly hovered around 12th, 13th, 14th.
The sense of boredom around the club is palpable, and illustrated by the 13,000 “official” attendance figures in recent months (although, with many season ticket holders simply not bothering to use their season tickets, probably at least 1-2,000 less than that).
Being the longest serving manager in the Championship is not a strength in such circumstances, it became a weight on Mick’s back. With nothing else likely to change any time soon, too many fans felt it is simply time for a change - as did club owner Marcus Evans.
You will find plenty of Ipswich fans who agree that change is needed, but who also know it is a huge risk. Of course, we could plummet into the next division - and we remain proud to be the only club outside of a handful of huge clubs (Arsenal, Spurs, ManU, Liverpool, Everton etc) not to have fallen outside the top two divisions in the past half-century.
But grinding out mid-table finishes, with uninspiring football led by a dour manager who had fallen out with a significant section of the fanbase was not a situation which could continue."

Now I've been a Town supporter from 1978 but I watch from afar, 700 mile round trip for me to Portman road (live in West Cornwall), so can only see the occasional game. Tomorrow I'm off to see Plymouth v Portsmouth, a mere 120 round trip. I've banged on a few times about Argyle this year, bottom at end of November, 5th now and looking to cement the play offs. What changed? The manager listened to the fans and went from playing negatively to positively, and Argyle have reaped the rewards.

That is all I'm saying as a Town fan, get a manager who plays positive football, want to have a try at a cup run, take some risks up front. May not work out but will give the fans some entertainment for their £££s.

Have a safe trip and good day to all those going to Forest (another club suffering a bit).

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

Mick in the Guardian on 11:04 - Apr 14 with 3740 viewsDarth_Koont

Mick in the Guardian on 10:57 - Apr 14 by itfcjoe

We haven't even played a game since yet - sure once the football starts again in a few hours it will die down!

But we've only changed managers 5 times in 20 years so surely fair enough to talk about it 2 days after it has happened - especially when the manager had become so divisive!

Yes. Not quite sure why people see any problem talking about Mick after 5 and a half years in charge.

It also ties into the discussion about his successor — and what we should be looking for/expecting. Or shouldn't we talk about that either?

Pronouns: He/Him

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024