Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
£18m for Pope 12:31 - Jun 19 with 5989 viewshype313

Off to Liverpool by accounts, would have been nice for us to have a segment of that cash...

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

£18m for Pope on 12:47 - Jun 19 with 5538 viewsSuperblue95

I know he's had a great season and that the market is over inflated but 18 million for Nick Pope?? That's just ridiculous

My hobbies include being quiet during trips, clapping with songs, and diabetes.
Poll: Englands player of the tournament

£18m for Pope on 12:50 - Jun 19 with 5523 viewsbournemouthblue

He's much like Loach, Marriot and the lad now at Norwich who's name escapes me

All ex-Academy members who we let go and have since proved we made the wrong call. I suppose they are players who slipped the net really, it is a shame but would they have flourished here had they have stayed?

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

£18m for Pope on 12:52 - Jun 19 with 5496 viewshype313

£18m for Pope on 12:50 - Jun 19 by bournemouthblue

All ex-Academy members who we let go and have since proved we made the wrong call. I suppose they are players who slipped the net really, it is a shame but would they have flourished here had they have stayed?

Hindsight's a wonderful thing eh, To be fair I think as a club we get more calls right than wrong, it's just when you see figures like this it does highlight the missed fortune!

£18m for Pope on 12:52 - Jun 19 with 5491 viewsSW6Tractor

This is always likely to happen with the quality of players our academy produces. Some will slip the net and later find the right environment to be successful elsewhere or mature later than we'd be comfortable keeping them.
£18m for Pope on 12:57 - Jun 19 with 5447 viewsbournemouthblue

£18m for Pope on 12:52 - Jun 19 by hype313

Hindsight's a wonderful thing eh, To be fair I think as a club we get more calls right than wrong, it's just when you see figures like this it does highlight the missed fortune!

Agreed on that, you can't win them all can you

It goes to show that we give players the right grounding at the very least

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

£18m for Pope on 13:34 - Jun 19 with 5265 viewsSwansea_Blue

We probably released him in good faith

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

£18m for Pope on 13:42 - Jun 19 with 5220 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Win some and lose some.

Southampton released Mings, he ended up in non league.

Then we got him and sold him for big money.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

£18m for Pope on 14:01 - Jun 19 with 5144 viewsPhilTWTD

With Ryan Bennett, who was the lad at Norwich, now at Wolves, Sammy Morgan, who was the academy director at the time, said there was no way they could offer him a contract at the time given his attitude and approach. Bennett later agreed with him, felt his release by Town was the making of him. I remember reading a piece about him receiving a bit of a jolt when he found himself at Grimsby.

Sounds like a similar thing has happened to Marriott, who seemed to lose his focus a bit here latterly, hence his release.

No idea on the circumstances regarding Pope's release at 16, which was 10 years ago. May well have had a late growth spurt which obviously can make a big difference to a keeper.
Login to get fewer ads

£18m for Pope on 14:05 - Jun 19 with 5107 viewshype313

£18m for Pope on 13:42 - Jun 19 by Marshalls_Mullet

Win some and lose some.

Southampton released Mings, he ended up in non league.

Then we got him and sold him for big money.

Good point, as I say, we seem to get more right than wrong, and it's just me being greedy...

£18m for Pope on 14:16 - Jun 19 with 5078 viewslinhdi

£18m for Pope on 12:47 - Jun 19 by Superblue95

I know he's had a great season and that the market is over inflated but 18 million for Nick Pope?? That's just ridiculous

That would be a very, very full fee. He's ok, but his distribution is poor, and he has one one season of Prem experience. But Liverpool are desperate. Great business for Burnley, assuming Heaton is ok for next season.
£18m for Pope on 15:02 - Jun 19 with 4949 viewsNo9

£18m for Pope on 12:47 - Jun 19 by Superblue95

Even tho' he proved to eb one of the best keepers in the PL last season?
£18m for Pope on 15:05 - Jun 19 with 4938 viewsKing_of_Portman_Rd

Expected Liverpool to sign Butland, but I suppose if you can sign Pope for much less then why wouldn't you? I suspect Stoke are asking for £25m+ to part with Butland & on the basis of last season wouldn't be worth the extra money than signing Pope.
£18m for Pope on 15:11 - Jun 19 with 4920 viewsNo9

£18m for Pope on 15:05 - Jun 19 by King_of_Portman_Rd

Expected Liverpool to sign Butland, but I suppose if you can sign Pope for much less then why wouldn't you? I suspect Stoke are asking for £25m+ to part with Butland & on the basis of last season wouldn't be worth the extra money than signing Pope.

Butland will be crucial to a Stoke effort to go back up to the PL, therefor his worth is the value of going up - V- not going up.
However yu calculate it that must be worth more than £25Mn ?
If Nick Pope goes Burnley still have a quality keeper (who's at the WC with England?) to include in the line up.

One or the other is something Burnley may as well cash in on
£18m for Pope on 17:02 - Jun 19 with 4825 viewsEireannach_gorm

£18m for Pope on 13:34 - Jun 19 by Swansea_Blue

We probably released him in good faith

More like 20 million.
http://www.thejournal.ie/pope-francis-visit-3756828-Dec2017/
£18m for Pope on 17:07 - Jun 19 with 4807 viewsstrikalite

Great, Bart must be easily around the £8m mark then...
£18m for Pope on 17:09 - Jun 19 with 4804 viewsSwansea_Blue

£18m for Pope on 17:02 - Jun 19 by Eireannach_gorm

More like 20 million.
http://www.thejournal.ie/pope-francis-visit-3756828-Dec2017/

At least someone got it. I'd have been very cross if not.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

£18m for Pope on 17:27 - Jun 19 with 4760 viewsElderGrizzly

Surprised if he moved there. After so long being a back-up, he finally gets to be No.1 and is likely to end up as No.2 or 3 at Liverpool but on a lot more money.

Would end his England career you'd assume too.
£18m for Pope on 17:28 - Jun 19 with 4751 viewsDeano69

On a TV interview recently, even he said it was the right decision for Ipswich not to pursue their interest in him. He didn't think he had done enough at the time to justify a contract. Which i guess was catalyst to him trying harder to continue his dream of playing football.

Poll: What view setting do you use for TWTD

£18m for Pope on 17:34 - Jun 19 with 4734 viewshype313

£18m for Pope on 17:27 - Jun 19 by ElderGrizzly

Surprised if he moved there. After so long being a back-up, he finally gets to be No.1 and is likely to end up as No.2 or 3 at Liverpool but on a lot more money.

Given Liverpool'issues over the past few years they probably want him as number one.

£18m for Pope on 17:59 - Jun 19 with 4689 viewsvapour_trail

£18m for Pope on 17:27 - Jun 19 by ElderGrizzly

He probably fancies his chances of getting ahead of Karius.

Trailing vapour since 1999.
Poll: Should Gav and Phil limiti the number of polls?

£18m for Pope on 23:20 - Jun 19 with 4428 viewsVic

But the flip side is that every player that we sign and who comes good for us is one that slipped through the net of another club. Works both ways doesn’t it. No club gets it right all the time. Be interesting to analysis if we have more slip our met than other clubs. I doubt it somehow.

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

£18m for Pope on 23:51 - Jun 19 with 4380 viewsrickw

I don't think it's a bad price for todays market - when you're talking about 75m for Allison or Oblak, 30m for Butland (and Pickford last year)

Poll: Of the Non Favourites for ITFC managers job who would you prefer
Blog: Reasons for Relegation

£18m for Pope on 00:10 - Jun 20 with 4355 viewsjeera

What colour smoke did they use to announce it?

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

£18m for Pope on 00:52 - Jun 20 with 4305 viewsconnorscontract

£18m for Pope on 14:01 - Jun 19 by PhilTWTD

With Ryan Bennett, who was the lad at Norwich, now at Wolves, Sammy Morgan, who was the academy director at the time, said there was no way they could offer him a contract at the time given his attitude and approach. Bennett later agreed with him, felt his release by Town was the making of him. I remember reading a piece about him receiving a bit of a jolt when he found himself at Grimsby.

Sounds like a similar thing has happened to Marriott, who seemed to lose his focus a bit here latterly, hence his release.

No idea on the circumstances regarding Pope's release at 16, which was 10 years ago. May well have had a late growth spurt which obviously can make a big difference to a keeper.

At the time of Pope's release we had Shane Supple only a few years older set fair to be our long-term Number One. He had already seen off Lewis Price so I can see that it would make sense to release the next Academy prospect in that position as he would struggle to gain experience.
£18m for Pope on 02:06 - Jun 20 with 4262 viewshorsehollerer

We made exactly the right call at the time.

After leaving Town, Pope spent three years at Bury Town, and then another five years bouncing around the lower leagues/non leagues as a Charlton loanee.

Blog: The Late, Late Blubfest Show

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024