Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
PH has definitely got the hump 07:48 - Jul 16 with 15296 viewstextbackup

With a few of them players hasn’t he, his comments on the Doz story - he wants the ball but you can’t say that about others - etc

I wonder who is struggling to buy into want he wants.

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

PH has definitely got the hump on 08:59 - Jul 16 with 2851 viewsBenters2

Yeah but does he think they are all proper blokes and Skusey is premier league?
PH has definitely got the hump on 09:01 - Jul 16 with 2840 viewsStokieBlue

PH has definitely got the hump on 08:59 - Jul 16 by Benters2

You need to let it go.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

PH has definitely got the hump on 09:07 - Jul 16 with 2829 viewsWestcountryblue

Interesting to note that PH had the squad out doing a running session straight after the game. Certainly was a cool down session, rather more of a beasting ! Good to see in my opinion.
PH has definitely got the hump on 09:12 - Jul 16 with 2794 viewsCurrie10

PH has definitely got the hump on 07:56 - Jul 16 by Westcountryblue

Does sound like it, plus I think he made a dig about not all of the players buying into the running.

PH strikes me as being a bit of a Fergie character, I don’t think he is afraid to make big calls or move on players who don’t buy into his expectations.

Sounds like there is a much tighter control on players. There is absolutely no way that PH is going to accept second best in terms of effort.
[Post edited 16 Jul 2018 7:57]

There's no way any manager would accept second best in terms of effort.

People seem delighted with this new approach - and it is a change - from 5.5 years of Mick keeping everything internal and us fans never having any idea as to what he was really thinking / what was going on.

For what it's worth - while I'd always LOVE to know all the goings on - Hurst's initial approach appears to be very VERY brave.

Commendable, however that dressing room could soon be lost and if he doesn't get the transfers in / out he's after - some words that will get the fans onside may do him zero favours.

Depends massively on whether the players buy into it or not.
PH has definitely got the hump on 09:13 - Jul 16 with 2785 viewsCurrie10

PH has definitely got the hump on 08:33 - Jul 16 by BackToRussia

I do wonder what the players think when they read stuff like that. I think if I were a footballer I'd feel a bit p1ssed off really, but our squad of players surely know what he says is true themselves so hopefully it doesn't alienate too many. Suppose at this stage in his tenure it's a sort of purposefully divisive statement to motivate the players.

This.

Straight away everyone is going to be united, or very anti the manager. It's a very brave thing to do.
PH has definitely got the hump on 09:17 - Jul 16 with 2767 viewschicoazul

PH has definitely got the hump on 08:37 - Jul 16 by artsbossbeard

I went along Saturday and I can understand why he's saying what he's saying.

Out bustled and out muscled all over the pitch and a severe lack of creation and endeavour when on the ball. 1st game with a load still not involved though.

Interestingly enough, I noted that the Braintree boss gave his lads a public dressing down after the Col U defeat and that certainly spurred them on Saturday. Hurst looking for the same reaction too?

What did you think of the "style" so to speak? Any obvious changes? Passing, moving, that kind of thing?

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

PH has definitely got the hump on 09:18 - Jul 16 with 2747 viewschicoazul

PH has definitely got the hump on 08:59 - Jul 16 by Benters2

As we used to say to Bulbeck dryas Richsparov etc in 2006 after Joe went; he's gone, move on.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!

PH has definitely got the hump on 09:18 - Jul 16 with 2753 viewsmanchego

PH has definitely got the hump on 09:13 - Jul 16 by Currie10

This.

Straight away everyone is going to be united, or very anti the manager. It's a very brave thing to do.

you mean they might be anti manager because he wants everyone to want the ball ?
snowflakes or what.

Dozell for one will be delighted at what PH said.
Login to get fewer ads

PH has definitely got the hump on 09:25 - Jul 16 with 2717 viewsartsbossbeard

PH has definitely got the hump on 09:17 - Jul 16 by chicoazul

What did you think of the "style" so to speak? Any obvious changes? Passing, moving, that kind of thing?

It was difficult to ascertain if there was a "style", Braintree never gave town the time to put something in motion.

A couple of things I did note: Looks like PH is keen for one of the central midfielders to drop in and take the ball off the back four. so there was an attempt to play through the compartments (copyright Martin Keown).

Town also looked to switch play from side to side with a raking pass a few times, pushing the full backs up to attacking positions BUT I'd suspect that this was more down to Braintree's rather intense pressing and remains to be seen if this is something that will be used in matches.

Huws would be ideal for taking the ball off the back four and Garner would've made a difference with Waghorn playing quite deep.

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.
Poll: Raining in IP8 - shall I get the washing in?

PH has definitely got the hump on 09:27 - Jul 16 with 2699 viewschicoazul

PH has definitely got the hump on 09:25 - Jul 16 by artsbossbeard

It was difficult to ascertain if there was a "style", Braintree never gave town the time to put something in motion.

A couple of things I did note: Looks like PH is keen for one of the central midfielders to drop in and take the ball off the back four. so there was an attempt to play through the compartments (copyright Martin Keown).

Town also looked to switch play from side to side with a raking pass a few times, pushing the full backs up to attacking positions BUT I'd suspect that this was more down to Braintree's rather intense pressing and remains to be seen if this is something that will be used in matches.

Huws would be ideal for taking the ball off the back four and Garner would've made a difference with Waghorn playing quite deep.

Thank you brother. Bit disappointed that Huws Adeyemi and Bish arent deemed ready yet with only a few weeks to go, as you say Huws espec could make a big difference.

PH has definitely got the hump on 09:37 - Jul 16 with 2657 viewssoupytwist

Dozzell spent a lot of the time when he didn't have the ball shouting at team mates to "Give it to me". It was quite noticeable from the sidelines where I was stood.
Not sure how the other players on the pitch would have taken that, but he did look like he had a good idea of what to do with it when he got it.

Probably a bit early for this but he's definitely got he makings of a Modric-esque midfielder if he carries on developing well.
PH has definitely got the hump on 09:41 - Jul 16 with 2633 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

PH has definitely got the hump on 09:13 - Jul 16 by Currie10

This.

Its good to see.

If a manager is too scared of what players think, its a bad sign.

If you have just lost 2-0 to Braintree, you shouldnt be surprised if the manager is critical.

If he isnt critical after that type of loss, then there is a problem.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

PH has definitely got the hump on 10:03 - Jul 16 with 2587 viewsPositivelyPortman

Perhaps there’s a bit of a mutiny in the ranks?
“We aren’t used to running around a lot and wanting the ball to pass”.

PH should say to them this morning “who’s going to play football the way I want and who isn’t?”
If you don’t want to - form a queue over there.

If only it was so easy eh?

Poll: Are we happy with the takeover?

PH has definitely got the hump on 10:03 - Jul 16 with 2586 viewstextbackup

PH has definitely got the hump on 08:37 - Jul 16 by artsbossbeard

I went along Saturday and I can understand why he's saying what he's saying.

Out bustled and out muscled all over the pitch and a severe lack of creation and endeavour when on the ball. 1st game with a load still not involved though.

Interestingly enough, I noted that the Braintree boss gave his lads a public dressing down after the Col U defeat and that certainly spurred them on Saturday. Hurst looking for the same reaction too?

As the professional team, in that heat, you would have thought out superior ability to keep the ball would have completely fcked the Braintree boys and we’d have played smarter not harder...

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

PH has definitely got the hump on 10:05 - Jul 16 with 2575 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

I do wonder what the players think when they read stuff like that. I think if I were a footballer I'd feel a bit p1ssed off really, but our squad of players surely know what he says is true themselves so hopefully it doesn't alienate too many. Suppose at this stage in his tenure it's a sort of purposefully divisive statement to motivate the players.

Question 1: What happens if you publicly criticise players as a group after a poor and unacceptable performance?

Question 2: What happens if you DONT publicly criticise players as a group after a poor and unacceptable performance?

I suspect Question 2 is higher in Hursts considerations.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

PH has definitely got the hump on 10:08 - Jul 16 with 2566 viewsPositivelyPortman

PH has definitely got the hump on 08:18 - Jul 16 by homer_123

Not the hump - merely laying down the ground rules.

This is, in part, why I would not be surprised to see Waghorn or Garner go (or even Bart after he signs a new contract).

If Hurst has looked at the squad and decided he needs more wholesale changes, he can only do that with some funds coming in.

Yes I can see that from a financial point of view, but Waghorn epitomises the PH image of non stop running and effort.
He worked like a Trojan in every match I saw last season.

Poll: Are we happy with the takeover?

PH has definitely got the hump on 10:10 - Jul 16 with 2562 viewsWD19

PH has definitely got the hump on 10:05 - Jul 16 by Marshalls_Mullet

Question 1: What happens if you publicly criticise players as a group after a poor and unacceptable performance?

Question 2: What happens if you DONT publicly criticise players as a group after a poor and unacceptable performance?

I suspect Question 2 is higher in Hursts considerations.

The answer is...

Question 1: Some players get the hump.

Question 2: Some fans get the hump.

There is absolutely no harm in saying "I have told the players exactly what I thought of that performance" <END>
PH has definitely got the hump on 10:11 - Jul 16 with 2550 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

PH has definitely got the hump on 10:10 - Jul 16 by WD19

The answer is...

Question 1: Some players get the hump.

Question 2: Some fans get the hump.

There is absolutely no harm in saying "I have told the players exactly what I thought of that performance" <END>

And no harm in saying honesty when asked when you feel some of the players underperformed.

If a player gets the hump after Hursts comments, then Hurst knows that they are not the type of players he can rely on, and he can show them the door.
[Post edited 16 Jul 2018 10:13]

PH has definitely got the hump on 10:12 - Jul 16 with 2546 viewsmos

Mhm, he did sound rather pathetic after the Braintree performance.

“Our slick new attacking side is being outpassed and outmaneuvered by Ipswich” - West Ham Forum
Poll: How do you think we will finish next season?

PH has definitely got the hump on 10:14 - Jul 16 with 2523 viewsartsbossbeard

PH has definitely got the hump on 10:03 - Jul 16 by textbackup

As the professional team, in that heat, you would have thought out superior ability to keep the ball would have completely fcked the Braintree boys and we’d have played smarter not harder...

Yep.

We didn't..

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.
Poll: Raining in IP8 - shall I get the washing in?

PH has definitely got the hump on 10:18 - Jul 16 with 2506 viewsGuthrum

You have to bear in mind that footballers are not quite like some ordinary bloke in a humdrum office job. They're all highly motivated and driven athletes, with a will to succeed which has got them thus far in a highly competitive environment which sees about 90% of aspirants never make it to professional level.

Their work promotion chances are highly performance-linked in a very public way. No amount of good interviewing will overcome being poor on the pitch. Switching to a better job requires manifest excellence. Opting for an easy life (by any normal person's measure) will result in lower pay, obscurity and, eventually, no employment opportunities at all.

Competition for jobs means a slacking player can - and will - be replaced.

They're also more used than most of us (probably outside the military) to a dictatorial management style. Thus are more prepared to take criticism on the chin as a spur to improvement, rather than something to be grumbled about and ignored.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

PH has definitely got the hump on 10:19 - Jul 16 with 2495 viewsBenters2

PH has definitely got the hump on 09:41 - Jul 16 by Marshalls_Mullet

Its good to see.

If a manager is too scared of what players think, its a bad sign.

If you have just lost 2-0 to Braintree, you shouldnt be surprised if the manager is critical.

If he isnt critical after that type of loss, then there is a problem.

Well said chap.
PH has definitely got the hump on 10:20 - Jul 16 with 2492 viewsFrimleyBlue

Speaking to a fellow chair who's nephew plays for the academy, apparently 80% of training is OFF the ball, even the academy are having longer sessions off the ball than on it. Usually by now there's a lot of set piece play, shape etc, but its running after running after running.

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

PH has definitely got the hump on 10:22 - Jul 16 with 2472 viewsfloridaboy

PH has definitely got the hump on 10:12 - Jul 16 by mos

Mhm, he did sound rather pathetic after the Braintree performance.

Sound pathetic? Might only be a friendly but surely the Town should have been good enough to beat Braintree. That first half team was an experienced unit.

Maybe the captain is the issue. Maybe the players look up to Chambers rather than listen to the manager. Who knows!

They had a pretty easy time under the previous manager. Cannot remember many times the previous manager had a pot in the press. Pretty certain he said a lot worse in the dressing room after the game Saturday.

At the end of the day fans are paying an awful lot of money to watch a game of football and expect their team to show a bit of enterprise and to work hard for each other.

Is that too much to ask.

Really starting to like Hurst. Will definitely not take any prisoners. The likes of Spence had better watch it. He had it pretty easy under the previous manager but don't think he will under Hurst.
PH has definitely got the hump on 10:24 - Jul 16 with 2460 viewsKieran_Knows

Good. About time our centre mid's had some boll*cks to get the ball off the centre backs rather than pointing to punt it upfield, or running away from the centre backs when they do have the ball.

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024