Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
More housing propaganda 12:14 - Jul 17 with 94797 viewsmonytowbray

https://inews.co.uk/inews-lifestyle/money/how-i-live-69500-salary-saving-buy-a-f

She earns £69,000 a year, that's how she can afford to save for a house. She's not really making any sacrifices, she just has a very well paid job.
[Post edited 17 Jul 2018 12:23]

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

More housing propaganda on 12:16 - Jul 18 with 3187 viewsBrixtonBlue

More housing propaganda on 21:44 - Jul 17 by jimmyvet

Why are you going over and over on the same subject with these lefties who just moan and groan about others good fortune when they allegedly have none and the whole word is stacked against them. If you work hard make sacrifices of course you can buy a house and better yourself in life...or you can moan your tits off blame the nasty tories and get nowhere in life........ its called choices!

Basically Truce, and you from the sounds of your post, had it tough but managed to make it through. You feel rightly proud of that.

However, people have it tougher now and the likes of you and Truce can't accept that because in your heads it diminishes your own achievements that you are already so emotionally invested in, so you blame "moaning lefties" and ignore the facts in order to make yourselves feel better about yourselves.

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

More housing propaganda on 12:25 - Jul 18 with 3164 viewsitfcjoe

More housing propaganda on 12:16 - Jul 18 by BrixtonBlue

Basically Truce, and you from the sounds of your post, had it tough but managed to make it through. You feel rightly proud of that.

However, people have it tougher now and the likes of you and Truce can't accept that because in your heads it diminishes your own achievements that you are already so emotionally invested in, so you blame "moaning lefties" and ignore the facts in order to make yourselves feel better about yourselves.

I think there is an element of it being tougher now - but not to the extent some talk about.

Mine was relatively easy in some respects, I was living at home with a decently paid job and wife was working away. But it was a big sacrifice to not see my partner much while we saved etc. Had I been renting I wouldn't have been able to save sufficiently

And when I speak to my parents - they never had holidays, ate out, went out really. Their mortgage was over 50% of their monthly income - but there wasn't the distraction then and disposable income didn't really exist. Most of us now walk round with £1000 worth of tech in our pockets, have holidays, go up and down to London when that just wasn't the case then - a few beers in the social club on a Friday and a couple of quid going to football on Saturday.

I don't think it is *much* harder than it was 10 years ago - just that if you are renting, then like it was 10 years ago it is exceptionally difficult to pull enough money together. Also, as has always been the case, buying on your own is incredibly difficult, you need 2 incomes and 2 sets of savings.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

More housing propaganda on 12:30 - Jul 18 with 3154 viewsBrixtonBlue

More housing propaganda on 12:25 - Jul 18 by itfcjoe

I think there is an element of it being tougher now - but not to the extent some talk about.

Mine was relatively easy in some respects, I was living at home with a decently paid job and wife was working away. But it was a big sacrifice to not see my partner much while we saved etc. Had I been renting I wouldn't have been able to save sufficiently

And when I speak to my parents - they never had holidays, ate out, went out really. Their mortgage was over 50% of their monthly income - but there wasn't the distraction then and disposable income didn't really exist. Most of us now walk round with £1000 worth of tech in our pockets, have holidays, go up and down to London when that just wasn't the case then - a few beers in the social club on a Friday and a couple of quid going to football on Saturday.

I don't think it is *much* harder than it was 10 years ago - just that if you are renting, then like it was 10 years ago it is exceptionally difficult to pull enough money together. Also, as has always been the case, buying on your own is incredibly difficult, you need 2 incomes and 2 sets of savings.

I assumed we were talking more than 10 years ago.

When my dad got his first house he borrowed £100 off his dad and was sorted. Even he admits you can't do the equivalent now.

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

More housing propaganda on 12:38 - Jul 18 with 3133 viewsitfcjoe

More housing propaganda on 12:30 - Jul 18 by BrixtonBlue

I assumed we were talking more than 10 years ago.

When my dad got his first house he borrowed £100 off his dad and was sorted. Even he admits you can't do the equivalent now.

Even as long ago as the 70s my parents had to stick a £2k deposit down on a £10k house and had a mortgage that was over half their monthly earning and my old man had a relatively well paid job for someone with no qualifications and had to work away. Took a week off work to get married and went to Flatford Mill for 2 days as their honeymoon before heading back up to Leicester.

It's never been easy, but the difference now is that rent is expensive - as soon as you have to start renting you are up against it, but that has been the case for a long time.

More housing propaganda on 12:39 - Jul 18 with 3125 viewsBluefish

More housing propaganda on 12:25 - Jul 18 by itfcjoe

Spot on

I also showed yesterday the house price graph where it has had a couple of booms but also lots of difficult times. It also didn't factor in the crazy rises in London more recently. It showed that people buying pre 2002 had it incredible but it has been hit and miss since until the latest boom again. The 1st time buyer crisis has been around since 2004. In that time and way before there have been incredible interest rate levels that we aren't seeing today.

You are completely right about the lifestyle choices though when I bought my 1st home I didn't have all of the latest tech for the time. Laptop, fancy tv, hifi etc. I had basic everything and lived month to month. I knew the sacrifice would be worth it.

I don't and won't feel sorry for people today that have wasted their opportunities and as everybday goes by it will get worse If they don't act. I will however teach my kids the importance of a deposit and saving

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

More housing propaganda on 12:44 - Jul 18 with 3115 viewsHerbivore

More housing propaganda on 12:38 - Jul 18 by itfcjoe

Even as long ago as the 70s my parents had to stick a £2k deposit down on a £10k house and had a mortgage that was over half their monthly earning and my old man had a relatively well paid job for someone with no qualifications and had to work away. Took a week off work to get married and went to Flatford Mill for 2 days as their honeymoon before heading back up to Leicester.

It's never been easy, but the difference now is that rent is expensive - as soon as you have to start renting you are up against it, but that has been the case for a long time.

Renting is the issue. Thatcher sold off the social housing stock and it wasn't replaced, that had a two fold effect in that large swathes of the population can no longer access affordable rented housing and secondly those with any kind of wealth or a bit of equity started buying up cheap housing that traditionally would have been for first time buyers in order to rent it out on the private market. That spike in buy to let was a big contributor to the housing bubble that has driven prices up and up, especially at the lower end of the market. So it's a double whammy really for people who can't live at home with their parents, rents are way more expensive because you have to rent privately and that prevents being able to save a deposit, and the deposit you need is much higher in cash terms than it has been historically.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

More housing propaganda on 12:48 - Jul 18 with 3105 viewsitfcjoe

More housing propaganda on 12:44 - Jul 18 by Herbivore

Renting is the issue. Thatcher sold off the social housing stock and it wasn't replaced, that had a two fold effect in that large swathes of the population can no longer access affordable rented housing and secondly those with any kind of wealth or a bit of equity started buying up cheap housing that traditionally would have been for first time buyers in order to rent it out on the private market. That spike in buy to let was a big contributor to the housing bubble that has driven prices up and up, especially at the lower end of the market. So it's a double whammy really for people who can't live at home with their parents, rents are way more expensive because you have to rent privately and that prevents being able to save a deposit, and the deposit you need is much higher in cash terms than it has been historically.

It's a two tier system, and the only way to beat the system is to get a council house which you can exercise right to buy on, or be able to live rent free (usually with parents) whilst you save.

Without either of those things available you need an excellent job and to live way below your means for a bit

More housing propaganda on 12:55 - Jul 18 with 3079 viewsStokieBlue

There is also an issue in the market with regards to the historic low interest rates that mortgages currently benefit from.

Even people who are on the ladder could find themselves in trouble if (when) we return to the 5% rates which have been the norm over the last 40 years.

That's before you even start talking about all the millions of people on interest-only mortgages with no way to pay back the capital of the mortgage loan.

It's all a mess with no obvious solution.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Login to get fewer ads

More housing propaganda on 12:58 - Jul 18 with 3072 viewsHerbivore

More housing propaganda on 12:55 - Jul 18 by StokieBlue

There is also an issue in the market with regards to the historic low interest rates that mortgages currently benefit from.

Even people who are on the ladder could find themselves in trouble if (when) we return to the 5% rates which have been the norm over the last 40 years.

That's before you even start talking about all the millions of people on interest-only mortgages with no way to pay back the capital of the mortgage loan.

It's all a mess with no obvious solution.

SB

Agreed, although I think it'll be a gradual return to 5% interest rates rather than happening overnight and that ought to soften the blow somewhat. A lot of people do have to stretch themselves though to afford a mortgage and it is a worry whether those people will have enough of a buffer to cope. Interest only mortgages just strike me as a terrible, terrible idea.

More housing propaganda on 13:13 - Jul 18 with 3049 viewsmonytowbray

More housing propaganda on 12:39 - Jul 18 by Bluefish

Spot on

I also showed yesterday the house price graph where it has had a couple of booms but also lots of difficult times. It also didn't factor in the crazy rises in London more recently. It showed that people buying pre 2002 had it incredible but it has been hit and miss since until the latest boom again. The 1st time buyer crisis has been around since 2004. In that time and way before there have been incredible interest rate levels that we aren't seeing today.

You are completely right about the lifestyle choices though when I bought my 1st home I didn't have all of the latest tech for the time. Laptop, fancy tv, hifi etc. I had basic everything and lived month to month. I knew the sacrifice would be worth it.

I don't and won't feel sorry for people today that have wasted their opportunities and as everybday goes by it will get worse If they don't act. I will however teach my kids the importance of a deposit and saving

"I don't and won't feel sorry for people today that have wasted their opportunities"

Was this the same opportunity you told me I should have capitalised on in 2011 when I could barely pay my bills? Yeah, that was my fault for being poor.

TWTD never forgets…

More housing propaganda on 13:22 - Jul 18 with 3021 viewsFrowsyArmLarry

Nowt to do with thatcher. Those council estates were rough as fook. The idea was to let people own their homes and make them more a part of a community. There were plenty of houses at the time so it benefitted everyone. The problem is that house building hasn’t kept up with the population explosion post ‘97.
More housing propaganda on 13:25 - Jul 18 with 3009 viewsmonytowbray

More housing propaganda on 13:22 - Jul 18 by FrowsyArmLarry

Nowt to do with thatcher. Those council estates were rough as fook. The idea was to let people own their homes and make them more a part of a community. There were plenty of houses at the time so it benefitted everyone. The problem is that house building hasn’t kept up with the population explosion post ‘97.

He said "Thatcher sold off the social housing stock and it wasn't replaced" in the second sentence.

I agree somewhat, it has been the fault of every government since too, but Maggie was the starting point and certainly shoulders some of it.

TWTD never forgets…

More housing propaganda on 13:27 - Jul 18 with 2998 viewsHerbivore

More housing propaganda on 13:22 - Jul 18 by FrowsyArmLarry

Nothing to do with Thatcher except that she was the one who sold off the social housing stock? Righto, mate.

More housing propaganda on 13:31 - Jul 18 with 2978 viewsBluefish

More housing propaganda on 13:13 - Jul 18 by monytowbray

"I don't and won't feel sorry for people today that have wasted their opportunities"

Was this the same opportunity you told me I should have capitalised on in 2011 when I could barely pay my bills? Yeah, that was my fault for being poor.

Being poor has nothing to do with privilege as you informed us multiple times yesterday

More housing propaganda on 13:37 - Jul 18 with 2953 viewsSpruceMoose

More housing propaganda on 13:31 - Jul 18 by Bluefish

Being poor has nothing to do with privilege as you informed us multiple times yesterday

This one has the mark of a thirty pager if Fishers has the stamina to keep this up for another day or two.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

More housing propaganda on 13:39 - Jul 18 with 2944 viewsBluefish

More housing propaganda on 13:37 - Jul 18 by SpruceMoose

This one has the mark of a thirty pager if Fishers has the stamina to keep this up for another day or two.

I have another week off work yet.

How is your contribution going? Added any value? A bit more sniping maybe? Still teaming up for safety with badger?

More housing propaganda on 13:51 - Jul 18 with 2914 viewsSpruceMoose

More housing propaganda on 13:39 - Jul 18 by Bluefish

I have another week off work yet.

How is your contribution going? Added any value? A bit more sniping maybe? Still teaming up for safety with badger?

Fishers old boy, you take all this far too seriously. Go enjoy your week of work or something.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."

More housing propaganda on 13:55 - Jul 18 with 2902 viewsmonytowbray

More housing propaganda on 13:37 - Jul 18 by SpruceMoose

I am impressed, he seems to even denying or pretending to know what the basic meaning of the word "privilege" is now to keep it up. That and just making stuff up.

TWTD never forgets…

More housing propaganda on 13:58 - Jul 18 with 2896 viewsSpruceMoose

More housing propaganda on 13:55 - Jul 18 by monytowbray

I am impressed, he seems to even denying or pretending to know what the basic meaning of the word "privilege" is now to keep it up. That and just making stuff up.

I think the kind thing to do Callis, would be to let him go on this one. Instead of enjoying his week off work he's on here, on the wind up. We shouldn't really assist his descent into flouncedom, which is sure to come next.

More housing propaganda on 14:03 - Jul 18 with 2889 viewsBluefish

More housing propaganda on 13:55 - Jul 18 by monytowbray

So far this thread goes

Can you buy a house in England for 50k - yes
Can you buy a house in EA for under 100k - yes
Do you need a 20-30k deposit - no
Do 100% mortgages exist - yes
Do you need a deposit for a 100% mortgage - no
Is it impossible for 1st time buyers now - no
Was it hard before for 1st time buyers - yes
Were the interest rates much higher before - yes
Has the housing market been a constant boom for this generation - no
Was everyone from 1985 and before born to privilege - no
Have previous generations had to survive a property crash - yes

Let me know the bits you have got right so far

More housing propaganda on 14:05 - Jul 18 with 2880 viewsHerbivore

More housing propaganda on 14:03 - Jul 18 by Bluefish

So far this thread goes

And yet still any semblance of the point eludes you. It's really quite impressive.

More housing propaganda on 14:05 - Jul 18 with 2881 viewsSpruceMoose

More housing propaganda on 14:03 - Jul 18 by Bluefish

So far this thread goes

What a way to spend a week off work, folks. The only acceptable times to be on TWTD are when drunk, or skiving. My ratio is a good 80/20 in favour of drunkenness.

More housing propaganda on 14:05 - Jul 18 with 2880 viewsBluefish

More housing propaganda on 13:58 - Jul 18 by SpruceMoose

I think the kind thing to do Callis, would be to let him go on this one. Instead of enjoying his week off work he's on here, on the wind up. We shouldn't really assist his descent into flouncedom, which is sure to come next.

Are you desperate to get involved? I've already had the past 5 weeks off so not desperate to make the most of the 6th

More housing propaganda on 14:08 - Jul 18 with 2869 viewsSpruceMoose

More housing propaganda on 14:05 - Jul 18 by Bluefish

Are you desperate to get involved? I've already had the past 5 weeks off so not desperate to make the most of the 6th

I'm sorry. I didn't realise I would be needing your permission to get involved. I'll make a note for next time. I thought we were all playing the big trolling game? I was just following your lead after all.

Anyway, five weeks off work is a long time. I can't blame a man for going all Colonel Kurtz with all that time on his hands I suppose.

More housing propaganda on 14:20 - Jul 18 with 2841 viewsGlasgowBlue

More housing propaganda on 13:58 - Jul 18 by SpruceMoose

Don't you get bored of doing this every day?

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024