Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
I started watching Apocalypse Now last night 10:25 - Jul 20 with 4814 viewsBrixtonBlue

for the first time. I got tired half way and went to bed. But I was also a bit bored.

This is supposedly one of the best films ever. What am I missing? Or does it get better in the second half?

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

I started watching Apocalypse Now last night on 10:50 - Jul 20 with 3789 viewsitfc24

It doesnt, massively overrated film IMO. Dont waste your time watching the rest of it.

On a similar note I watched Scarface for the first time in years this week. Again overrated film yet seems so highly rated.
I started watching Apocalypse Now last night on 10:51 - Jul 20 with 3780 viewsStokieBlue

Just watch the helicopters with the Ride of the Valkyries.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

I started watching Apocalypse Now last night on 11:01 - Jul 20 with 3763 viewshype313

I watched it about 15 years ago, when it finished I thought wtf was that last 3 hours all about.

Either I'm missing something or it's dull as dishwater.

Brando is quite a character though.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

I started watching Apocalypse Now last night on 11:04 - Jul 20 with 3752 viewsfooters

It's one of my favourite Hollywood films. You have to watch the second half to really get it. Quite similar to the Deer Hunter in terms of a slow build but 100% worth it.

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

I started watching Apocalypse Now last night on 11:08 - Jul 20 with 3738 viewschicoazul

I started watching Apocalypse Now last night on 10:50 - Jul 20 by itfc24

It doesnt, massively overrated film IMO. Dont waste your time watching the rest of it.

On a similar note I watched Scarface for the first time in years this week. Again overrated film yet seems so highly rated.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

I started watching Apocalypse Now last night on 11:34 - Jul 20 with 3679 viewsGlasgowBlue

I think the answer is the same as that given to people who don't appreciate Stewart Lee.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

I started watching Apocalypse Now last night on 11:48 - Jul 20 with 3655 viewsFrowsyArmLarry

The ending is the worst bit for me, but I’m not a big fan of brando’s style of acting.

I enjoyed the whole atmosphere of the rest of the film though and the relationships between the characters on the boat
I started watching Apocalypse Now last night on 12:01 - Jul 20 with 3620 viewsBenters2

I started watching Apocalypse Now last night on 11:48 - Jul 20 by FrowsyArmLarry

The ending is the worst bit for me, but I’m not a big fan of brando’s style of acting.

I enjoyed the whole atmosphere of the rest of the film though and the relationships between the characters on the boat

I thought it was the nuts tbh
Login to get fewer ads

I started watching Apocalypse Now last night on 12:04 - Jul 20 with 3621 viewsvapour_trail

I started watching Apocalypse Now last night on 11:04 - Jul 20 by footers

It's one of my favourite Hollywood films. You have to watch the second half to really get it. Quite similar to the Deer Hunter in terms of a slow build but 100% worth it.

Watched the deer hunter again recently for the first time in a while. Absolute classic movie that.

Trailing vapour since 1999.
Poll: Should Gav and Phil limiti the number of polls?

I started watching Apocalypse Now last night on 12:08 - Jul 20 with 3616 viewsSuperfrans

For me, it’s a masterpiece. But not everybody likes the same films - plus I saw it in the light of reading Heart Of Darkness for my O Levels (the book on which it is broadly based) so that brought it to life for me.

The other consideration is that films today are generally much faster paced than those made in the Seventies. I watched The Conversation (another Coppola film) a while ago and also found it to be pretty slow. It did require more attention and perseverance than most modern movies. The same is true of many many other films from that era.

Poll: What is your voting intention on December 12?
Blog: Dear Martin Samuel...

I started watching Apocalypse Now last night on 12:21 - Jul 20 with 3580 viewsFrowsyArmLarry

I started watching Apocalypse Now last night on 12:08 - Jul 20 by Superfrans

For me, it’s a masterpiece. But not everybody likes the same films - plus I saw it in the light of reading Heart Of Darkness for my O Levels (the book on which it is broadly based) so that brought it to life for me.

The other consideration is that films today are generally much faster paced than those made in the Seventies. I watched The Conversation (another Coppola film) a while ago and also found it to be pretty slow. It did require more attention and perseverance than most modern movies. The same is true of many many other films from that era.

I bought heart of darkness years ago and never got around to reading it. Maybe I should?... I always intended to work out what the colonels motivations really were and, let’s be honest, with Brando hamming it up its just left to your own opinion of war if you watch the film
I started watching Apocalypse Now last night on 12:40 - Jul 20 with 3549 viewsHennikerBlu

It is based on the book 'Heart of Darkness', and is really about two journeys. The first is of the Special Forces officer (Martin Sheen), sent to kill Brando, who starts to question what the war is really about (as he journeys up the river), considering Brando's character, the highly decorated Kurtz, has been successful in using unconventional assassination methods, ironically the US had a similar programme called Operation Phoenix; and the second journey, is about how Kurtz has gone native and seen by the authorities as off the 'reservation'. It also has a cameo with Harrison Ford at the beginning and note the probable CIA officer present.

It is less about glorifying war and more about the futility of it and the collateral damage (I hate that term); and man's journey into himself questioning 'the system' and the hypocrisy. It has much to offer today in how we have operated in modern wars, Generation X on OIF is worth a watch too. The interesting characters Martin Sheen meets along the way provide examples of how different people deal with war and comradeship, there is also some interesting connotations especially when the 1/9th AirCav assault the village.

Not without its faults, Brando was not at his best, arrived overweight hence the shadowy ending, Martin Sheen almost died in the making of it with the strain and possibly other factors. It has to be seen in the context of, apart from the Green Berets (pro-war), not much had been made to bring home the insanity of much of the Vietnam war and so soon after the end of a war that divided a nation. It should also be born in mind that discipline was a issue at certain points of the war and in some cases an almost mutinous attitude (John Pilger the Quiet Mutiny is worth a watch).

For me, it is not a war film that will entertain you in then 'good v bad' sense, in spite of some well shot and authentic scenes (all the kit is pretty accurate as it was shot with Philippines armed forces), its one in which you have to tune in to what makes the characters tick (which it is not always successful at) and the utter futility of it all.
[Post edited 20 Jul 2018 13:59]
I started watching Apocalypse Now last night on 12:45 - Jul 20 with 3529 viewsvapour_trail

I started watching Apocalypse Now last night on 12:21 - Jul 20 by FrowsyArmLarry

I bought heart of darkness years ago and never got around to reading it. Maybe I should?... I always intended to work out what the colonels motivations really were and, let’s be honest, with Brando hamming it up its just left to your own opinion of war if you watch the film

Yes you should, it’s a great read. As is Conrad more broadly, the secret agent is highly recommended.

Trailing vapour since 1999.
Poll: Should Gav and Phil limiti the number of polls?

I started watching Apocalypse Now last night on 13:11 - Jul 20 with 3478 viewsSpruceMoose

It's no Full Metal Jacket, that's for sure.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

I started watching Apocalypse Now last night on 13:37 - Jul 20 with 3436 viewsBrixtonBlue

I started watching Apocalypse Now last night on 11:34 - Jul 20 by GlasgowBlue

I think the answer is the same as that given to people who don't appreciate Stewart Lee.

The many different and creative ways you find to have a pop at me should almost be applauded.

Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

I started watching Apocalypse Now last night on 13:38 - Jul 20 with 3431 viewsMaySixth

lol

Poll: Ladapo or Hirst to start up front against Peterborough?

I started watching Apocalypse Now last night on 13:46 - Jul 20 with 3409 viewsbrogansnose

Wonderful film that pays being watched over and over. As Frans and Henniker point out, Conrads Heart of Darkness is key to this and its much much more than a 'war film'.
I started watching Apocalypse Now last night on 11:41 - Jul 24 with 3217 viewsBrixtonBlue

I started watching Apocalypse Now last night on 12:40 - Jul 20 by HennikerBlu

It is based on the book 'Heart of Darkness', and is really about two journeys. The first is of the Special Forces officer (Martin Sheen), sent to kill Brando, who starts to question what the war is really about (as he journeys up the river), considering Brando's character, the highly decorated Kurtz, has been successful in using unconventional assassination methods, ironically the US had a similar programme called Operation Phoenix; and the second journey, is about how Kurtz has gone native and seen by the authorities as off the 'reservation'. It also has a cameo with Harrison Ford at the beginning and note the probable CIA officer present.

It is less about glorifying war and more about the futility of it and the collateral damage (I hate that term); and man's journey into himself questioning 'the system' and the hypocrisy. It has much to offer today in how we have operated in modern wars, Generation X on OIF is worth a watch too. The interesting characters Martin Sheen meets along the way provide examples of how different people deal with war and comradeship, there is also some interesting connotations especially when the 1/9th AirCav assault the village.

Not without its faults, Brando was not at his best, arrived overweight hence the shadowy ending, Martin Sheen almost died in the making of it with the strain and possibly other factors. It has to be seen in the context of, apart from the Green Berets (pro-war), not much had been made to bring home the insanity of much of the Vietnam war and so soon after the end of a war that divided a nation. It should also be born in mind that discipline was a issue at certain points of the war and in some cases an almost mutinous attitude (John Pilger the Quiet Mutiny is worth a watch).

For me, it is not a war film that will entertain you in then 'good v bad' sense, in spite of some well shot and authentic scenes (all the kit is pretty accurate as it was shot with Philippines armed forces), its one in which you have to tune in to what makes the characters tick (which it is not always successful at) and the utter futility of it all.
[Post edited 20 Jul 2018 13:59]

I finished it off last night, and yes it was very good. All makes sense when it comes together. Reminded me of Lord Of The Flies at the end.

I started watching Apocalypse Now last night on 12:50 - Jul 24 with 3170 viewscrazyblue68

I started watching Apocalypse Now last night on 13:11 - Jul 20 by SpruceMoose

Platoon for me. Love that film.
I started watching Apocalypse Now last night on 12:53 - Jul 24 with 3164 viewsMattinLondon

It’s aimed at people wishing to appear clever....and failing badly
I started watching Apocalypse Now last night on 13:09 - Jul 24 with 3126 viewspatrickswell

I only saw the Redux version that was released into cinemas circa 2000, featured extra scenes with Playboy Bunnies and some French bloke going on interminably when Willard and Co. stop off at a house by the river.

It had its moments certainly, but was a slog all told. Certainly, you can see the seeds of excess which ended up killing New Hollywood once John Cimino made Heaven's Gate.
I started watching Apocalypse Now last night on 13:13 - Jul 24 with 3122 viewspatrickswell

I started watching Apocalypse Now last night on 13:11 - Jul 20 by SpruceMoose

Yes, that and Platoon are both examples where the film-makers clearly decided to steer clear of all the bits that made Apocalypse Now a flawed film.
I started watching Apocalypse Now last night on 13:18 - Jul 24 with 3113 viewsSteve_M

I started watching Apocalypse Now last night on 13:13 - Jul 24 by patrickswell

Yes, that and Platoon are both examples where the film-makers clearly decided to steer clear of all the bits that made Apocalypse Now a flawed film.

Both though are mid-80s films, Apocalypse Now came out in 1979 when Vietnam was still a very raw subject in America. They probably wouldn't have happened in the same way without it.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

I started watching Apocalypse Now last night on 13:56 - Jul 24 with 3073 viewspatrickswell

I started watching Apocalypse Now last night on 13:18 - Jul 24 by Steve_M

Both though are mid-80s films, Apocalypse Now came out in 1979 when Vietnam was still a very raw subject in America. They probably wouldn't have happened in the same way without it.

Yes, it's clearly the template. Coppola started making it in 1976, so he could be said to be pioneering at the time.

Any love out there for Go Tell The Spartans?
I started watching Apocalypse Now last night on 14:05 - Jul 24 with 3058 viewsSuperfrans

I started watching Apocalypse Now last night on 13:09 - Jul 24 by patrickswell

I only saw the Redux version that was released into cinemas circa 2000, featured extra scenes with Playboy Bunnies and some French bloke going on interminably when Willard and Co. stop off at a house by the river.

It had its moments certainly, but was a slog all told. Certainly, you can see the seeds of excess which ended up killing New Hollywood once John Cimino made Heaven's Gate.

Michael Cimino. But, yes, it did all get a bit barmy for a while. That said, I love so much of Seventies independent US cinema (up until Spielberg effectively invented the concept of the blockbuster with Jaws), so much of it was so bold and inventive, unlike the cinema of today.

Poll: What is your voting intention on December 12?
Blog: Dear Martin Samuel...

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024