Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Hurst attracting players McCarthy wouldn’t or couldn’t 17:53 - Aug 8 with 12633 viewstractorshark

Interesting that Hurst is attracting the sort of players McCarthy said he’d struggle to bring to Ipswich.
I wasn’t one of Mick’s biggest critics but it did frustrate me that he couldn’t or wouldn’t compete for lower league players with potential.
So what’s changed? I don’t believe it’s just as simple as saying we have money from Webster and Waghorn, although that clearly is a factor. We had money from Cresswell, Mings etc, yet we chose to use that largely on loans and ‘experienced campaigners’.
Hurst is obviously targeting different players to McCarthy but McCarthy always suggested he couldn’t compete with other clubs for that type of footballer - Bradley Dack, for instance, Webster being the exception.
So has Evans just loosened the purse strings or was it all a load of bollox in the past?
I never bought the excuse about geography. Players go where the best deal is.
It’s just good to see Ipswich having a positive transfer window for a change...and that’s despite selling Waghorn.

Hurst attracting players McCarthy wouldn’t or couldn’t on 18:03 - Aug 8 with 5909 viewsFtnfwest

At our ‘peak’ under Mick he clearly said he couldn’t improve on (within reason) what he had at the club already, which certainly ruled out lower division players joining. We also took a couple of punts at players at around the 2m level which weren’t accepted because they were already championship level players who he couldn’t get for that money.
Hurst attracting players McCarthy wouldn’t or couldn’t on 18:04 - Aug 8 with 5897 viewshomer_123

Sorry, but at what point did Mick struggle to sign League 1 or 2 players.

At what point didn't he sign untried and untested players at this level?

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Hurst attracting players McCarthy wouldn’t or couldn’t on 18:16 - Aug 8 with 5808 viewsDubtractor

Hurst attracting players McCarthy wouldn’t or couldn’t on 18:04 - Aug 8 by homer_123

Be fair, Mick signed either of tried and tested, or real hopeful punts from non league or Ireland. I can't think of too many that were signed from league one or two, let alone for money.

Mick had his approach to recruitment, he had some hits and some misses.

Hurst clearly has a different one, though anyone claiming it is better (or worse) so far is very much getting ahead of themselves.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Hurst attracting players McCarthy wouldn’t or couldn’t on 18:18 - Aug 8 with 5784 viewstractorshark

Hurst attracting players McCarthy wouldn’t or couldn’t on 18:04 - Aug 8 by homer_123

With the exception of Webster, I can’t think of many.
Certainly no Lge 1 or Lge 2 players signed in the past two seasons apart from Webster.
A few loans (Leon Best) and freebies over the years but not much else.
Mings and Rowe were both non-league so easier to sign.
The new transfer strategy just seems more logical to me.
Permanent players with potential rather than expensive loans who impress but will ultimately never be ours.
Hurst attracting players McCarthy wouldn’t or couldn’t on 18:18 - Aug 8 with 5788 viewsLankHenners

A real shame that people aren't going to be able to enjoy the season ahead because they're still fixated with getting a dig in at the previous manager.

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

Hurst attracting players McCarthy wouldn’t or couldn’t on 18:19 - Aug 8 with 5754 viewsblueislander

Hurst attracting players McCarthy wouldn’t or couldn’t on 18:16 - Aug 8 by Dubtractor

Be fair, Mick signed either of tried and tested, or real hopeful punts from non league or Ireland. I can't think of too many that were signed from league one or two, let alone for money.

Mick had his approach to recruitment, he had some hits and some misses.

Hurst clearly has a different one, though anyone claiming it is better (or worse) so far is very much getting ahead of themselves.

It must be a worry that the new signings may not be "proper blokes"
Hurst attracting players McCarthy wouldn’t or couldn’t on 18:25 - Aug 8 with 5688 viewsunstableblue

Hurst attracting players McCarthy wouldn’t or couldn’t on 18:18 - Aug 8 by LankHenners

A real shame that people aren't going to be able to enjoy the season ahead because they're still fixated with getting a dig in at the previous manager.

Not sure it’s a dig at the previous manager.

Mick lost the plot on system/style and should have left perhaps 1-2 seasons earlier, because the football was so terrible - pragmatic but terrible - some people keep referring to him (like me) because ‘thought police’ idiots patrolled this board shooting down anyone questioning project mick, perhaps the ‘numbskulls’ who just didn’t like mick deserved it. But clearly the guy had lost it.

As for the OP he raises a good question - my view is mick would simply not have brought these players in because the prices were high for unproven players.

And let’s be clear Paul hurst is taking a gamble... but my god I want him to succeed, because he’s trying to do the right thing, and isn’t an egotist.

Mid table, squad and system progression, and beating Norwich would be a great season.

COYFB

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

Hurst attracting players McCarthy wouldn’t or couldn’t on 18:27 - Aug 8 with 5658 viewsblueislander

Hurst attracting players McCarthy wouldn’t or couldn’t on 18:25 - Aug 8 by unstableblue

Mick lost the plot on system/style and should have left perhaps 1-2 seasons earlier, because the football was so terrible - pragmatic but terrible - some people keep referring to him (like me) because ‘thought police’ idiots patrolled this board shooting down anyone questioning project mick, perhaps the ‘numbskulls’ who just didn’t like mick deserved it. But clearly the guy had lost it.

As for the OP he raises a good question - my view is mick would simply not have brought these players in because the prices were high for unproven players.

And let’s be clear Paul hurst is taking a gamble... but my god I want him to succeed, because he’s trying to do the right thing, and isn’t an egotist.

Mid table, squad and system progression, and beating Norwich would be a great season.

COYFB

To win a cup match would be nice too.
Login to get fewer ads

Hurst attracting players McCarthy wouldn’t or couldn’t on 18:28 - Aug 8 with 5645 viewstractorshark

Hurst attracting players McCarthy wouldn’t or couldn’t on 18:18 - Aug 8 by LankHenners

No dig at McCarthy. Look through my posts, you’ll see I was very supportive of him.
But I’m allowed to question or criticise if I so wish and I’m just asking a question.
A question that relates to both the past and present.
If you have a different opinion to me, then state it.
Don’t tell me what I can or cannot discuss.
Hurst attracting players McCarthy wouldn’t or couldn’t on 18:29 - Aug 8 with 5645 viewsLankHenners

Hurst attracting players McCarthy wouldn’t or couldn’t on 18:25 - Aug 8 by unstableblue

COYFB

So are you giving Hurst more than 8 games now or...

Hurst attracting players McCarthy wouldn’t or couldn’t on 18:31 - Aug 8 with 5615 viewsfloridaboy

Hurst attracting players McCarthy wouldn’t or couldn’t on 18:27 - Aug 8 by blueislander

To win a cup match would be nice too.

Agree. To progress in the two cups and get a top side to Portman Road and to beat our friends up the road will be deemed a huge success

And top half of the table of course!!
Hurst attracting players McCarthy wouldn’t or couldn’t on 18:39 - Aug 8 with 5532 viewsunstableblue

Hurst attracting players McCarthy wouldn’t or couldn’t on 18:29 - Aug 8 by LankHenners

So are you giving Hurst more than 8 games now or...

Ah ha haaaaaa ha ah haaaaa ha ha ha haaaa ha haaaa

I’m backing Paul all the fecking way... I was merely trying to negate the idiots who will harp back “I told you... careful what you wish for...” bollox... in that it may take EIGHT games for any sign of the Hurst revolution taking shape...

Shed load of players and new ideas to bed in.

Albeit a win against Exeter and Rotherham will get some confidence into the project and is possible.

Open your mind; don’t give in to preconceptions!

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

Hurst attracting players McCarthy wouldn’t or couldn’t on 18:45 - Aug 8 with 5489 viewsTractorWood

It's how our fan base operates. The number of posts that just descend into talking about Keane, Jewell etc is a bit boring.

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

Hurst attracting players McCarthy wouldn’t or couldn’t on 18:47 - Aug 8 with 5461 viewsMullet

Bart Bialkowski
Wordsworth and Freddie from just down the road
Adam Webster
David McGoldrick was of course scoring for fun in League 1 when we took him off Forest as a reject there.
Jordan Adekunle came from somewhere like Crawley
Ando came as Bristol were relegated again IIRC whereas Skuse and Gerken were while they were still Championship, and I think Digby was league 1 when at Barnsley maybe? Let alone Kieffer £700k profit Moore of course.

He also had the likes of Henshall and Veseli as well as Ward as "exciting" young talent looking to get their careers going and obviously they delivered mixed success.

It's pretty clear the approach is different but we've yet to see how much of a success or failure anyone is going to be under Hurst yet so it seems a futile exercise. Especially when the circumstances are different too.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Hurst attracting players McCarthy wouldn’t or couldn’t on 18:48 - Aug 8 with 5455 viewsJohnny_Boy

Hurst attracting players McCarthy wouldn’t or couldn’t on 18:45 - Aug 8 by TractorWood

It's how our fan base operates. The number of posts that just descend into talking about Keane, Jewell etc is a bit boring.

So, Keane was without doubt the biggest destructive entity @ ITFC. Discuss.
Hurst attracting players McCarthy wouldn’t or couldn’t on 18:49 - Aug 8 with 5439 viewsBasuco

Different manager brings in different players shock! Player sales finance players purchase shock!
Hurst attracting players McCarthy wouldn’t or couldn’t on 18:56 - Aug 8 with 5391 viewstractorshark

Hurst attracting players McCarthy wouldn’t or couldn’t on 18:47 - Aug 8 by Mullet

Bart Bialkowski
Wordsworth and Freddie from just down the road
Adam Webster
David McGoldrick was of course scoring for fun in League 1 when we took him off Forest as a reject there.
Jordan Adekunle came from somewhere like Crawley
Ando came as Bristol were relegated again IIRC whereas Skuse and Gerken were while they were still Championship, and I think Digby was league 1 when at Barnsley maybe? Let alone Kieffer £700k profit Moore of course.

He also had the likes of Henshall and Veseli as well as Ward as "exciting" young talent looking to get their careers going and obviously they delivered mixed success.

It's pretty clear the approach is different but we've yet to see how much of a success or failure anyone is going to be under Hurst yet so it seems a futile exercise. Especially when the circumstances are different too.

Think Moore was from non league.
Wasn’t he at Torquay?
Hurst attracting players McCarthy wouldn’t or couldn’t on 19:00 - Aug 8 with 5362 viewstractorshark

Hurst attracting players McCarthy wouldn’t or couldn’t on 18:49 - Aug 8 by Basuco

Different manager brings in different players shock! Player sales finance players purchase shock!

If it was that simple, what did Mings’ sale finance?
Clearly sales have helped Hurst but they also happened during Mick’s era. The question I’m asking is why are we now spending seven figure fees?
Hurst attracting players McCarthy wouldn’t or couldn’t on 19:00 - Aug 8 with 5357 viewsLeoMuff

Yet more re writing of history... firstly Mick didn’t ever say this, secondly we did sign these sort of players, he was pretty selective with it making sure they were better than those already here and could cut it up a level, we have no idea if these guys can yet.

Evans has simply spent what we have earned in fees which is different and what he should have been doing in the first place.

The only Muff in Town.
Poll: Lamberts rotational policy has left us....

Hurst attracting players McCarthy wouldn’t or couldn’t on 19:00 - Aug 8 with 5358 viewsFunge

I'm unsure what relevance this has to the OP.
Hurst attracting players McCarthy wouldn’t or couldn’t on 19:01 - Aug 8 with 5349 viewsMullet

Hurst attracting players McCarthy wouldn’t or couldn’t on 18:56 - Aug 8 by tractorshark

Think Moore was from non league.
Wasn’t he at Torquay?

You're right he was Forest Green with some league experience at Torquay before being loaned back there looking at his wiki.

So I'm not sure what counts as "league" talent if we compare say Tilt who is mostly non league up until now. Obviously a lot of Hurst's signings have non-league and league experience without much yo-yoing.

Either way it all seems far too premature and a bit apples and oranges. If we wanted the same approach we had the best man for the job in situ.

Hurst attracting players McCarthy wouldn’t or couldn’t on 19:03 - Aug 8 with 5337 viewsLeoMuff

Hurst attracting players McCarthy wouldn’t or couldn’t on 19:00 - Aug 8 by Funge

Probably because it wa a dig at MM 4 months after he has left....

The only Muff in Town.
Poll: Lamberts rotational policy has left us....

Hurst attracting players McCarthy wouldn’t or couldn’t on 19:05 - Aug 8 with 5324 viewsLankHenners

Hurst attracting players McCarthy wouldn’t or couldn’t on 19:00 - Aug 8 by Funge

It doesn't really hold up to much scrutiny and seems like a pointless post that looks to poke at the last bloke in charge.

Hurst attracting players McCarthy wouldn’t or couldn’t on 19:08 - Aug 8 with 5288 viewsTrequartista

It does seem strange that Ipswich, an hour from the capital, was somewhere in the middle of the outback for the last five years, but now seems to be back it's normal position again.

Poll: Who do you blame for our failure to progress?

Hurst attracting players McCarthy wouldn’t or couldn’t on 19:09 - Aug 8 with 5274 viewsMullet

Hurst attracting players McCarthy wouldn’t or couldn’t on 19:08 - Aug 8 by Trequartista

It does seem strange that Ipswich, an hour from the capital, was somewhere in the middle of the outback for the last five years, but now seems to be back it's normal position again.

You're about 3 managers out, Keane said that as did Jim. Jewell got hundreds of players in.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024