Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
If you want the softest possible Brexit, vote Labour.... 16:20 - Sep 27 with 11462 viewschicoazul

...in the forthcoming election (probably before Xmas btw, friends).

Simply put, the Maximum Leader and his cohort are such a bunch of absolute melts that they will, in effect, do what the EU tell them to. They have never negotiated anything more difficult than Islington council parking regulations or the rates to hire Hackney town hall so faced with Barnier they will simply end up accepting exactly what the EU want to give them. Since the EU want us to remain a key partner on economics, taxation, security, capital & people movement and egalitarianism this will be a straight forward agreement.

There are of course risks to this course, significant among them being that the Maximum Leader will himself be quickly stood down from his position by the Communist arrivistes headed by Seamus Milne. Swings and roundabouts.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

If you want the softest possible Brexit, vote Labour.... on 16:37 - Sep 27 with 6565 viewsThe_Last_Baron

Labour are a disgrace of a party and have been since Blair took over.

In the next election I won't be voting Labour or Tory if Corbyn and May are the people at the helm.

Poll: Would you support a permanent return to the old yellow Town badge?

If you want the softest possible Brexit, vote Labour.... on 16:38 - Sep 27 with 6564 viewsbaxterbasics

I don't agree with your first point, there'll be no election this year. (Leadership election, maybe).

zip
Poll: Your minimum standard of 'success' for our return to The Championship?

If you want the softest possible Brexit, vote Labour.... on 16:47 - Sep 27 with 6520 viewscaught-in-limbo

The softest possible Brexit is the only way the government can both save face and not actually leave the EU in any meaningful way. I can't see how the government would have any credibility by having a 2nd referendum, so the only answer is to leave the EU in name only.

I suspect that will happen irrespective of who's in power.

#toxic
Poll: BREXIT - Hard, soft, phantom ...

If you want the softest possible Brexit, vote Labour.... on 16:52 - Sep 27 with 6526 viewsBasuco

From what I heard on the radio I thought that Labour just agreed to keep all options open, sit on the fence not make any decision. To be honest Brexit has split both Tory and Labour politicians in the same way it has split the UK population. I have no faith that MP's from either party will have the best interest of the UK population in mind while negotiating an exit deal, we will be totally screwed over big time.
If you want the softest possible Brexit, vote Labour.... on 17:14 - Sep 27 with 6495 viewsGlasgowBlue

My thoughts for what they are worth.

There won't be an election unless May makes Chequers a vote of confidence. She may chose to do that in order to frighten those on the left who want an even softer Brexit, and those on the right who want one which is harder, in order to back the deal but I doubt she will do this as she doesn't have the numbers.

Chequers will be voted down, Corbyn will put forward a motion of no confidence in the government and the rebels from each wing or the Tory party will vote to save the government. The DUP, faced with a former IRA sympathisers like John McDonnell, Jeremy Corbyn and Diane Abbott taking control of 10 Downing Street, the Treasury, the Home Office, the Ministry of Defence, MI6 and MI6 will also back the government and the Tory administration will survive.

May will gamble, as John Major did over the same issue in 1994 (?), and resign as leader of the Conservative party whilst staying in the role of Prime Minister. Boris will decide whether or not he has enough support in the parliamentary party to make the final two candidates which then go to the members to vote. He will know, frustratingly for him, that if he makes the final two he will probably win the leadership and become Prime Minister by Christmas, but will conclude that he simply doesn't have the support from his Parliamentary colleagues so will bottle standing against her.

Unless a stalking horse puts his or her head above the parapet May will remain unchallenged and continue as leader safe in the knowledge that there cannot be another challenge for a calendar year.

As I say, these are my own thoughts. I also predicted that the Tories would win a 100+ majority at the election so what do I know?

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

If you want the softest possible Brexit, vote Labour.... on 17:28 - Sep 27 with 6474 viewschicoazul

If you want the softest possible Brexit, vote Labour.... on 16:47 - Sep 27 by caught-in-limbo

The softest possible Brexit is the only way the government can both save face and not actually leave the EU in any meaningful way. I can't see how the government would have any credibility by having a 2nd referendum, so the only answer is to leave the EU in name only.

I suspect that will happen irrespective of who's in power.

I agree.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

If you want the softest possible Brexit, vote Labour.... on 18:42 - Sep 27 with 6413 viewsBlueBadger

Strange days indeed when a hard-left Labour party are being more economically responsibly than large numbers of Tories, eh?

[Post edited 27 Sep 2018 18:44]

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

If you want the softest possible Brexit, vote Labour.... on 19:02 - Sep 27 with 6378 viewsGeoffSentence

If you want the softest possible Brexit, vote Labour.... on 16:37 - Sep 27 by The_Last_Baron

Labour are a disgrace of a party and have been since Blair took over.

In the next election I won't be voting Labour or Tory if Corbyn and May are the people at the helm.

The lib dems seem to have gone completely underground, UKIP is coming out as the political wing of the EDL.

Who is there who is worth voting for these days?

The Greens?

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Login to get fewer ads

If you want the softest possible Brexit, vote Labour.... on 19:43 - Sep 27 with 6335 viewsGlasgowBlue

If you want the softest possible Brexit, vote Labour.... on 19:02 - Sep 27 by GeoffSentence

The lib dems seem to have gone completely underground, UKIP is coming out as the political wing of the EDL.

Who is there who is worth voting for these days?

The Greens?

The LibDems will be reinvigorated when Vince shuffles off and they elect Layla Moran as leader.

Iron Lion Zion

If you want the softest possible Brexit, vote Labour.... on 19:48 - Sep 27 with 6327 viewsSwansea_Blue

If you want the softest possible Brexit, vote Labour.... on 19:43 - Sep 27 by GlasgowBlue

The LibDems will be reinvigorated when Vince shuffles off and they elect Layla Moran as leader.

They’d be invigorated even if a corpse took over. We’ve a government as unpopular as I can remember (since Blair’s Iraq war faux pas probably), yet everyone else seems hell bent on out doing them in the incompetence stakes.

Vote Monster Raving Looney Party kids.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

If you want the softest possible Brexit, vote Labour.... on 19:50 - Sep 27 with 6325 viewsGlasgowBlue

If you want the softest possible Brexit, vote Labour.... on 19:48 - Sep 27 by Swansea_Blue

They’d be invigorated even if a corpse took over. We’ve a government as unpopular as I can remember (since Blair’s Iraq war faux pas probably), yet everyone else seems hell bent on out doing them in the incompetence stakes.

Vote Monster Raving Looney Party kids.

There is a market for a centrist party. This graph shows why Labour has lost the last three elections whilst winning the previous three.

Iron Lion Zion

If you want the softest possible Brexit, vote Labour.... on 20:24 - Sep 27 with 6287 viewsDarth_Koont

Pronouns: He/Him

If you want the softest possible Brexit, vote Labour.... on 20:35 - Sep 27 with 6268 viewsBinner

If you want the softest possible Brexit, vote Labour.... on 19:50 - Sep 27 by GlasgowBlue

There is a market for a centrist party. This graph shows why Labour has lost the last three elections whilst winning the previous three.

Interesting but more than two years out of date. The graph ends a few weeks after the referendum and several months before the 2017 GE. Corbyn, as we now know, proved rather more popular than was being suggested in August 2016.

Poll: Last game of the season. You need to win. Would you rather be...

If you want the softest possible Brexit, vote Labour.... on 20:50 - Sep 27 with 6241 viewsGlasgowBlue

If you want the softest possible Brexit, vote Labour.... on 20:35 - Sep 27 by Binner

Interesting but more than two years out of date. The graph ends a few weeks after the referendum and several months before the 2017 GE. Corbyn, as we now know, proved rather more popular than was being suggested in August 2016.

But he lost. And he lost with 9 less seats than Kinnock in 1992. Kinnock resigned.

And he lost with only 4 more seats than Gordon Brown. And he called that result "the death knell of New Labour"

And May, seen by the public as being too far from that centre line, didn't win a majority.

So if you take the last six elections, only 4 delivered outright majorities. Blair with three convincing victories from the centre and Cameron with a barely workable majority from centre right.

Iron Lion Zion

If you want the softest possible Brexit, vote Labour.... on 20:56 - Sep 27 with 6228 viewsBinner

If you want the softest possible Brexit, vote Labour.... on 20:50 - Sep 27 by GlasgowBlue

But he lost. And he lost with 9 less seats than Kinnock in 1992. Kinnock resigned.

And he lost with only 4 more seats than Gordon Brown. And he called that result "the death knell of New Labour"

And May, seen by the public as being too far from that centre line, didn't win a majority.

So if you take the last six elections, only 4 delivered outright majorities. Blair with three convincing victories from the centre and Cameron with a barely workable majority from centre right.

Not arguing with any of that. My point is that, at the time your graph ends, many people including respected public figures and supposed experts were predicting that Labour under Corbyn would be all but wiped out.

If you want the softest possible Brexit, vote Labour.... on 20:59 - Sep 27 with 6222 viewsGlasgowBlue

If you want the softest possible Brexit, vote Labour.... on 20:56 - Sep 27 by Binner

Not arguing with any of that. My point is that, at the time your graph ends, many people including respected public figures and supposed experts were predicting that Labour under Corbyn would be all but wiped out.

I'm not disagreeing with what you say. He did do better than expected. But he still lost and elections are won from the centre. The centre needs to look ask whether they have outgrown the old two party system.

Iron Lion Zion

If you want the softest possible Brexit, vote Labour.... on 21:06 - Sep 27 with 6209 viewsBinner

If you want the softest possible Brexit, vote Labour.... on 20:59 - Sep 27 by GlasgowBlue

I'm not disagreeing with what you say. He did do better than expected. But he still lost and elections are won from the centre. The centre needs to look ask whether they have outgrown the old two party system.

The centre seems to be moving to the left. More younger people (new voters) comfortable with public ownership of utilities, as an example.

(Sorry. Can't engage further. Am at work and break is over).

If you want the softest possible Brexit, vote Labour.... on 22:16 - Sep 27 with 6131 viewsconnorscontract

If you want the softest possible Brexit, vote Labour.... on 20:50 - Sep 27 by GlasgowBlue

And more to the point he lost to the Maybot following a campaign in which we witnessed the wheat field confession and May bailing on a tv debate and sending Amber Rudd out to bat for her 2 days after Rudd's father had died.

Corbyn should have resigned.

Edited to correct a chronological error.
[Post edited 27 Sep 2018 23:37]
If you want the softest possible Brexit, vote Labour.... on 12:35 - Sep 28 with 5995 viewsbaxterbasics

If you want the softest possible Brexit, vote Labour.... on 21:06 - Sep 27 by Binner

The centre seems to be moving to the left. More younger people (new voters) comfortable with public ownership of utilities, as an example.

(Sorry. Can't engage further. Am at work and break is over).

Something I learned about during my University days (Module: The New British Politics) is that the public 'centre ground' tends to gradually shift along the left-right scale in the opposite direction of the government in power.

So it makes sense that Mr Centrist is more to the left now than 10 years ago. I perosonally think we will see a Momentum government in the near-ish future, as much as this fills me with horror. Might not be a Corbyn one however.

zip

If you want the softest possible Brexit, vote Labour.... on 12:37 - Sep 28 with 5991 viewsbaxterbasics

If you want the softest possible Brexit, vote Labour.... on 19:50 - Sep 27 by GlasgowBlue

Michael Howard more to the right than IDS? Not sure I would agree.

zip

If you want the softest possible Brexit, vote Labour.... on 13:20 - Sep 28 with 5955 viewsDarth_Koont

If you want the softest possible Brexit, vote Labour.... on 12:35 - Sep 28 by baxterbasics

Something I learned about during my University days (Module: The New British Politics) is that the public 'centre ground' tends to gradually shift along the left-right scale in the opposite direction of the government in power.

So it makes sense that Mr Centrist is more to the left now than 10 years ago. I perosonally think we will see a Momentum government in the near-ish future, as much as this fills me with horror. Might not be a Corbyn one however.

Maybe but I'd say the weighting over the decades (plus how Blair moved Labour very much to the centre and even into right-wing territory with some of the rhetoric around free markets) means our centre is a lot farther right than the rest of Western Europe.

We've lacked that counterweight and balance. So much so that traditional left-wing politics is quickly seen as Marxist or Communist. When it's just good old-fashioned social democracy in the rest of Europe.

Oh and of course we've had an overall very right-heavy press for the last 50 years. Balance has often only come from news organisations and services that are more towards the centre or, like the BBC, at pains to be perceived as neutral. None of which is enough to prevent a strange perception of what makes a true political centre.

Pronouns: He/Him

If you want the softest possible Brexit, vote Labour.... on 13:30 - Sep 28 with 5942 viewsStokieBlue

If you want the softest possible Brexit, vote Labour.... on 20:35 - Sep 27 by Binner

He did, but to make further gains requires large swings in 60+ seats.

The easy targets have been won, it's whether the more difficult seats can be taken, something that is far from certain.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

If you want the softest possible Brexit, vote Labour.... on 13:41 - Sep 28 with 5920 viewsStokieBlue

If you want the softest possible Brexit, vote Labour.... on 13:20 - Sep 28 by Darth_Koont

Maybe but I'd say the weighting over the decades (plus how Blair moved Labour very much to the centre and even into right-wing territory with some of the rhetoric around free markets) means our centre is a lot farther right than the rest of Western Europe.

We've lacked that counterweight and balance. So much so that traditional left-wing politics is quickly seen as Marxist or Communist. When it's just good old-fashioned social democracy in the rest of Europe.

Oh and of course we've had an overall very right-heavy press for the last 50 years. Balance has often only come from news organisations and services that are more towards the centre or, like the BBC, at pains to be perceived as neutral. None of which is enough to prevent a strange perception of what makes a true political centre.

Out of interest, how do you square the first paragraph with right-leaning parties being in power in Italy, Spain and ahead in the polls in France?

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

If you want the softest possible Brexit, vote Labour.... on 13:47 - Sep 28 with 5908 viewsPiercingBlue

Aux barricades citoyens!
If you want the softest possible Brexit, vote Labour.... on 13:56 - Sep 28 with 5889 viewsimsureazzure

If you want the softest possible Brexit, vote Labour.... on 20:56 - Sep 27 by Binner

They will be, if there was an election tomorrow, JC would do significantly less well than in the previous GE, the BBC makes the same mistakes again and again believing that London opinion is British opinion and that the noisiest voices, as in QT last night, are the most appealing.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024