Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
20:26 - Oct 4 with 8082 views_

Wilf Zaha, Nathanial Clyne, Adam Lallana, Gareth Bale, Theo Walcott, Kieron Dyer on 22:06 - Oct 4 with 3046 viewsHerbivore

on 22:01 - Oct 4 by _

I'm guessing you go to bed wearing George Burley jim jams and it's clear you're getting upset. I'm sorry that I don't see struggling and getting sacked after 6 months as being a success. I wonder what your views on Hurst's time here will be if he gets the boot in less than 6 months.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

on 22:08 - Oct 4 with 3039 views_

Wilf Zaha, Nathanial Clyne, Adam Lallana, Gareth Bale, Theo Walcott, Kieron Dyer on 22:06 - Oct 4 by Herbivore

I'm guessing you go to bed wearing George Burley jim jams and it's clear you're getting upset. I'm sorry that I don't see struggling and getting sacked after 6 months as being a success. I wonder what your views on Hurst's time here will be if he gets the boot in less than 6 months.

Wilf Zaha, Nathanial Clyne, Adam Lallana, Gareth Bale, Theo Walcott, Kieron Dyer on 22:15 - Oct 4 with 3016 viewsBloomBlue

Wilf Zaha, Nathanial Clyne, Adam Lallana, Gareth Bale, Theo Walcott, Kieron Dyer on 21:47 - Oct 4 by Herbivore

Well I guess if you choose to ignore his failures then yeah, he's never failed. Jesus wept.

That's the problem, Burley gave us some wonderful times but he was the manager who took us from 5th to relegation and that is the biggest failure on any managers CV, but many fans like to ignore that.
Wilf Zaha, Nathanial Clyne, Adam Lallana, Gareth Bale, Theo Walcott, Kieron Dyer on 22:15 - Oct 4 with 3016 viewsHerbivore

on 22:08 - Oct 4 by _

My first post on this thread highlighted that Burley was a very good manager. I loved most of the Burley era and was sad when he left. You are, however, being completely irrational with statements like he's done a good job everywhere he's been. He hasn't.

I also think it's a backward step to consider appointing someone who hasn't worked in 7 years and hasn't achieved success in a decade. To want him here is pure nostalgia and sentiment imo.

Why on earth you're now banging on about Mick McCarthy I have no idea. He left 6 months ago and as far as I'm aware has nothing to do with George Burley.
[Post edited 4 Oct 2018 22:15]

Wilf Zaha, Nathanial Clyne, Adam Lallana, Gareth Bale, Theo Walcott, Kieron Dyer on 22:15 - Oct 4 with 3015 viewsJimmy86

Wilf Zaha, Nathanial Clyne, Adam Lallana, Gareth Bale, Theo Walcott, Kieron Dyer on 21:10 - Oct 4 by itfcjoe

Bart

Lee Grant, Pablo Mills and Marcus Tudgay at Derby who all had decent league careers - Grant especially
[Post edited 4 Oct 2018 21:12]

Think Pablo Mills is stretching it a bit... He played for Derby and Rotherham in FL then went on to Crawley, whilst they were still non-league and never got back into the FL
on 22:18 - Oct 4 with 3009 views_

Wilf Zaha, Nathanial Clyne, Adam Lallana, Gareth Bale, Theo Walcott, Kieron Dyer on 22:15 - Oct 4 by Herbivore

My first post on this thread highlighted that Burley was a very good manager. I loved most of the Burley era and was sad when he left. You are, however, being completely irrational with statements like he's done a good job everywhere he's been. He hasn't.

I also think it's a backward step to consider appointing someone who hasn't worked in 7 years and hasn't achieved success in a decade. To want him here is pure nostalgia and sentiment imo.

Why on earth you're now banging on about Mick McCarthy I have no idea. He left 6 months ago and as far as I'm aware has nothing to do with George Burley.
[Post edited 4 Oct 2018 22:15]

Wilf Zaha, Nathanial Clyne, Adam Lallana, Gareth Bale, Theo Walcott, Kieron Dyer on 22:20 - Oct 4 with 2999 viewsElderGrizzly

Wilf Zaha, Nathanial Clyne, Adam Lallana, Gareth Bale, Theo Walcott, Kieron Dyer on 21:53 - Oct 4 by sparks

And he only got til Christmas.

Ridiculous to call it a failure in any meaningful sense.

He only got 2 games for Limassol before the sack. His overall record is good, but after 7 years out he isn’t the man to turn to.

Club From Until Hons. W D L Total Win%
Heart of Midlothian 2005 2005 0 n/a 9 2 1 12 75.00
Ipswich Town 1994 2002 1 185 97 128 410 45.12
Southampton 2005 2008 0 n/a 45 25 39 109 41.28
Colchester United 1994 1994 0 n/a 8 5 7 20 40.00
Derby County 2003 2005 0 n/a 39 25 43 107 36.45
Crystal Palace 2010 2011 0 n/a 7 5 14 26 26.92
Scotland 2008 2009 0 n/a 3 3 8 14 21.43
Wilf Zaha, Nathanial Clyne, Adam Lallana, Gareth Bale, Theo Walcott, Kieron Dyer on 22:21 - Oct 4 with 2999 viewsHerbivore

on 22:18 - Oct 4 by _

Okay. If you think that he did a good job with Scotland and Palace then that's your opinion. Bless your heart.

Login to get fewer ads

on 22:24 - Oct 4 with 2983 views_

Wilf Zaha, Nathanial Clyne, Adam Lallana, Gareth Bale, Theo Walcott, Kieron Dyer on 22:21 - Oct 4 by Herbivore

Okay. If you think that he did a good job with Scotland and Palace then that's your opinion. Bless your heart.

Wilf Zaha, Nathanial Clyne, Adam Lallana, Gareth Bale, Theo Walcott, Kieron Dyer on 22:25 - Oct 4 with 2979 viewsHerbivore

on 22:24 - Oct 4 by _

Have a look at the tone of your own posts, dear. Self awareness never has been your strongest set.

on 22:25 - Oct 4 with 2979 views_

Wilf Zaha, Nathanial Clyne, Adam Lallana, Gareth Bale, Theo Walcott, Kieron Dyer on 22:20 - Oct 4 by ElderGrizzly

He only got 2 games for Limassol before the sack. His overall record is good, but after 7 years out he isn’t the man to turn to.

Club From Until Hons. W D L Total Win%
Heart of Midlothian 2005 2005 0 n/a 9 2 1 12 75.00
Ipswich Town 1994 2002 1 185 97 128 410 45.12
Southampton 2005 2008 0 n/a 45 25 39 109 41.28
Colchester United 1994 1994 0 n/a 8 5 7 20 40.00
Derby County 2003 2005 0 n/a 39 25 43 107 36.45
Crystal Palace 2010 2011 0 n/a 7 5 14 26 26.92
Scotland 2008 2009 0 n/a 3 3 8 14 21.43

on 22:29 - Oct 4 with 2970 views_

Wilf Zaha, Nathanial Clyne, Adam Lallana, Gareth Bale, Theo Walcott, Kieron Dyer on 22:25 - Oct 4 by Herbivore

Have a look at the tone of your own posts, dear. Self awareness never has been your strongest set.

on 22:33 - Oct 4 with 2965 views_

Wilf Zaha, Nathanial Clyne, Adam Lallana, Gareth Bale, Theo Walcott, Kieron Dyer on 21:13 - Oct 4 by Ely_Blue

Finidi George
Andy Marshall
Matteo Sereni

Wilf Zaha, Nathanial Clyne, Adam Lallana, Gareth Bale, Theo Walcott, Kieron Dyer on 22:55 - Oct 4 with 2932 viewsCoco

on 22:33 - Oct 4 by _

Was the obvious choice for me as i said many times. He is the heartbeat of the club and the perfect fit for this supposed new philosophy. He should be in charge with Dyer and Hogg alongside him before moving upstairs as DoF overseeing the club philosophy. Seem ridiculously clear to me but I’m just a fecking idiot.

#SellUpMarcusEvans #LambertOUT // Sent from my iphone - which explains all the felling spuck ups
Poll: When we're finally freed from Mick McCarthy would you like to see Burley as DoF?

on 23:03 - Oct 4 with 2923 views_

Wilf Zaha, Nathanial Clyne, Adam Lallana, Gareth Bale, Theo Walcott, Kieron Dyer on 22:55 - Oct 4 by Coco

Was the obvious choice for me as i said many times. He is the heartbeat of the club and the perfect fit for this supposed new philosophy. He should be in charge with Dyer and Hogg alongside him before moving upstairs as DoF overseeing the club philosophy. Seem ridiculously clear to me but I’m just a fecking idiot.

Wilf Zaha, Nathanial Clyne, Adam Lallana, Gareth Bale, Theo Walcott, Kieron Dyer on 00:06 - Oct 5 with 2890 viewspatrickswell

Wilf Zaha, Nathanial Clyne, Adam Lallana, Gareth Bale, Theo Walcott, Kieron Dyer on 22:15 - Oct 4 by BloomBlue

That's the problem, Burley gave us some wonderful times but he was the manager who took us from 5th to relegation and that is the biggest failure on any managers CV, but many fans like to ignore that.

This is true and it’s heartbreaking.

He was never the luckiest of managers either. Made a cracking start at Hearts and set a platform from which they could have won the SPL only for the owner to decide that it’s all down to him and to prove it, he sacks Burley when Hearts were unbeaten in the dozen games George had managed.

Goes to Southampton and in first full season there, he gets them to the play-offs where they lose to Derby on penalties. Why unlucky? Had the away goal rule been in force, Southampton would have gone through. As for Scotland, they get drawn in the 5 team group so have a much harder route and to top it off, Chris Iwelumo....

Am pretty sure his last win at Palace though was at Norwich, at least...
[Post edited 5 Oct 2018 0:07]
Wilf Zaha, Nathanial Clyne, Adam Lallana, Gareth Bale, Theo Walcott, Kieron Dyer on 00:18 - Oct 5 with 2877 viewsMach_foreignBlue

on 22:01 - Oct 4 by _

You what? 2 and 1/2 seasons in the top flight of English football makes Burley one of the best GB's managers in the last 25 years? What are you on about?

A list of his trophies please? Just want to see what qualifies him to be regarded as one of the best ones.

He had a MIXED spell at Ipswich. A few good moments but some disastrous moments too.
[Post edited 5 Oct 2018 0:19]
Wilf Zaha, Nathanial Clyne, Adam Lallana, Gareth Bale, Theo Walcott, Kieron Dyer on 00:58 - Oct 5 with 2851 viewstractorboy1978

Wilf Zaha, Nathanial Clyne, Adam Lallana, Gareth Bale, Theo Walcott, Kieron Dyer on 00:18 - Oct 5 by Mach_foreignBlue

You what? 2 and 1/2 seasons in the top flight of English football makes Burley one of the best GB's managers in the last 25 years? What are you on about?

A list of his trophies please? Just want to see what qualifies him to be regarded as one of the best ones.

He had a MIXED spell at Ipswich. A few good moments but some disastrous moments too.
[Post edited 5 Oct 2018 0:19]

Libero's claim was extremely bold but you are being rather harsh saying he 'had a few good moments but some disastrous moments'. If finishing 5th in the Premiership and taking us into Europe is simply good then you have extremely high standards.

Burley gave us the best times I can remember as a 28 year old Town fan, times that I would pay a significant sum of money to relive. We played entertaining football, scored plenty of goals, integrated and developed academy players and ultimately after several consecutive seasons of the play offs we got promoted and we had an identity and a club we were all proud of.
Wilf Zaha, Nathanial Clyne, Adam Lallana, Gareth Bale, Theo Walcott, Kieron Dyer on 07:11 - Oct 5 with 2820 viewsHerbivore

Wilf Zaha, Nathanial Clyne, Adam Lallana, Gareth Bale, Theo Walcott, Kieron Dyer on 00:58 - Oct 5 by tractorboy1978

Libero's claim was extremely bold but you are being rather harsh saying he 'had a few good moments but some disastrous moments'. If finishing 5th in the Premiership and taking us into Europe is simply good then you have extremely high standards.

Burley gave us the best times I can remember as a 28 year old Town fan, times that I would pay a significant sum of money to relive. We played entertaining football, scored plenty of goals, integrated and developed academy players and ultimately after several consecutive seasons of the play offs we got promoted and we had an identity and a club we were all proud of.

He won manager of the season for that 5th place finish, it was a pretty staggering thing we achieved that season. Ultimately it was probably too much too soon sadly but it was a great ride.

Burley was a great manager but 7 years out of the game and his two worst managerial jobs (I'm not including the 2 games in Cyprus) coming at the end of his career doesn't suggest to me that bringing him back is a good idea. I'd rather keep the memories.

Wilf Zaha, Nathanial Clyne, Adam Lallana, Gareth Bale, Theo Walcott, Kieron Dyer on 07:32 - Oct 5 with 2801 viewsJohnny_Boy

Wilf Zaha, Nathanial Clyne, Adam Lallana, Gareth Bale, Theo Walcott, Kieron Dyer on 22:21 - Oct 4 by Herbivore

From what I remember of the Scotland situation, there were players refusing to play after discipline issues. Off field behaviour problems. IIRC, he tried to introduce the yoofs.

Senior players from Celtic & Rangers had issues with him.
Wilf Zaha, Nathanial Clyne, Adam Lallana, Gareth Bale, Theo Walcott, Kieron Dyer on 07:47 - Oct 5 with 2788 viewsHerbivore

Wilf Zaha, Nathanial Clyne, Adam Lallana, Gareth Bale, Theo Walcott, Kieron Dyer on 07:32 - Oct 5 by Johnny_Boy

From what I remember of the Scotland situation, there were players refusing to play after discipline issues. Off field behaviour problems. IIRC, he tried to introduce the yoofs.

Senior players from Celtic & Rangers had issues with him.

I'm not sure that entirely excuses him from being statistically their worst manager in recent times. Look, I love Burley. He's a Town legend and we enjoyed some great times under him, being at Wembley for the play off final was one of the greatest experiences of my life. But let's not rewrite history. Things went wrong for Burley at Scotland and Palace, they went wrong for him during his last 15 months here too. Let's not whitewash his career and pretend that he's only ever excelled. He hasn't, and it's evident he was on a downward trajectory towards the end of his managerial career and that should ring alarm bells for anyone considering wheeling him back out after such a long time on the shelf.

Wilf Zaha, Nathanial Clyne, Adam Lallana, Gareth Bale, Theo Walcott, Kieron Dyer on 08:34 - Oct 5 with 2761 viewsJohnny_Boy

Wilf Zaha, Nathanial Clyne, Adam Lallana, Gareth Bale, Theo Walcott, Kieron Dyer on 07:47 - Oct 5 by Herbivore

I'm not sure that entirely excuses him from being statistically their worst manager in recent times. Look, I love Burley. He's a Town legend and we enjoyed some great times under him, being at Wembley for the play off final was one of the greatest experiences of my life. But let's not rewrite history. Things went wrong for Burley at Scotland and Palace, they went wrong for him during his last 15 months here too. Let's not whitewash his career and pretend that he's only ever excelled. He hasn't, and it's evident he was on a downward trajectory towards the end of his managerial career and that should ring alarm bells for anyone considering wheeling him back out after such a long time on the shelf.

The Scotland situation was a complicated mess. When your experienced players practically refuse to play for the squad - after being punished for disciplinary reasons. He got no backing from the Old Firm managers. He was effectively on a hiding to nothing.

But....he was trying to bring the youngsters into the first team squad.
Maybe it was done too quickly. But, he was credited for doing that.
Wilf Zaha, Nathanial Clyne, Adam Lallana, Gareth Bale, Theo Walcott, Kieron Dyer on 08:45 - Oct 5 with 2757 viewsGeoffSentence

on 21:36 - Oct 4 by _

"Burley, sort it out, Burley, Burley, sort it out"

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Wilf Zaha, Nathanial Clyne, Adam Lallana, Gareth Bale, Theo Walcott, Kieron Dyer on 09:14 - Oct 5 with 2733 viewsHerbivore

Wilf Zaha, Nathanial Clyne, Adam Lallana, Gareth Bale, Theo Walcott, Kieron Dyer on 08:34 - Oct 5 by Johnny_Boy

The Scotland situation was a complicated mess. When your experienced players practically refuse to play for the squad - after being punished for disciplinary reasons. He got no backing from the Old Firm managers. He was effectively on a hiding to nothing.

But....he was trying to bring the youngsters into the first team squad.
Maybe it was done too quickly. But, he was credited for doing that.

That doesn't excuse his record imo. Look, Burley not doing well with Scotland or Palace doesn't mean he wasn't a Town legend. Terry Butcher is an awful manager but is a Town legend too. I think people are rewriting history with rose tinted glasses to try and justify their desire to see someone back at the helm who hasn't managed in 7 years following a few years of failure at the end of their career. It's a terrible idea, you don't appoint a manager based on nostalgia and sentiment.

I look forward to my down arrow from Libby who seems to be sulking.

Wilf Zaha, Nathanial Clyne, Adam Lallana, Gareth Bale, Theo Walcott, Kieron Dyer on 09:36 - Oct 5 with 2693 viewsflimflam

Wilf Zaha, Nathanial Clyne, Adam Lallana, Gareth Bale, Theo Walcott, Kieron Dyer on 21:53 - Oct 4 by sparks

And he only got til Christmas.

Ridiculous to call it a failure in any meaningful sense.

So if we sack Hurst after the International Break you would say he done well and was not a failure here then?

All men and women are created, by the, you know the, you know the thing.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024