Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Getting a job at past 50 is no joke 14:30 - Oct 9 with 6848 viewsHeathlander

There's me thinking it would be easy.
Getting a job at past 50 is no joke on 14:56 - Oct 9 with 5290 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Have you got experience that would allow you to work for yourself?

Might be a route to go down?

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Getting a job at past 50 is no joke on 14:59 - Oct 9 with 5291 viewsHeathlander

Getting a job at past 50 is no joke on 14:56 - Oct 9 by Marshalls_Mullet

Have you got experience that would allow you to work for yourself?

Might be a route to go down?

I do. But I just wanted a little admin job. I've done 35 years in the corporate jungle and wanted to calm it down a bit. I think being self employed would drive me crazy.
Getting a job at past 50 is no joke on 15:07 - Oct 9 with 5234 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Getting a job at past 50 is no joke on 14:59 - Oct 9 by Heathlander

I do. But I just wanted a little admin job. I've done 35 years in the corporate jungle and wanted to calm it down a bit. I think being self employed would drive me crazy.

Try speaking to former clients / contacts and offer to work for them on a self employed basis 2-3 days per week or something.

Could bring you a good daily rate and a flexible lifestyle.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Getting a job at past 50 is no joke on 16:25 - Oct 9 with 5077 viewsstrikalite

Chill out til Brexit happens and the agencies will be queuing up for you..
Getting a job at past 50 is no joke on 16:41 - Oct 9 with 5047 viewsartsbossbeard

I'm in the same kinda boat.

I'm bored of corporate sh1te and could quite easily handle something like an admin or driving role.

I'm now supposed to be mentoring 5x ex-grads and showing them how to properly manage clients to include not dipping into emoji world when conversing. They don't listen and have no interest in listening and I feel like that old fart who brings the office banter down when I pick them up on things.

I'll give it 3 more months..

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.
Poll: Raining in IP8 - shall I get the washing in?

Getting a job at past 50 is no joke on 16:51 - Oct 9 with 4991 viewsbluejake78

At 57 I've had enough.85000 miles a year commuting.
Mortgage nil 2nd home a few £ plus I do whatever/whenever.....happily enjoying bargain hunt and flogit.
Getting a job at past 50 is no joke on 17:12 - Oct 9 with 4920 viewsfactual_blue

This doesn't help your plans

http://www.eadt.co.uk/news/robots-working-at-ipswich-hospital-as-medical-secreta

And is bad news for the wives of potential Town signings too.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Getting a job at past 50 is no joke on 17:20 - Oct 9 with 4901 viewsNoCanariesAllowed

I'm not sure getting a job at any age is easy nowadays. I'm in my early 30s and been out of work for a while. We all know the issues teens and 20-year-olds are having, while my dad is still working in his 70s and finding the contracts drying up.

Not much encouragement but at least you can take solace that you're by no means a special case when it comes to the difficulty of finding work!
Login to get fewer ads

Getting a job at past 50 is no joke on 17:24 - Oct 9 with 4881 viewsPlums

Higher Education institutions are always in need of quality admins. Nice working environment and they’ll value your skills.

It's 106 miles to Portman Road, we've got a full tank of gas, half a round of Port Salut, it's dark... and we're wearing blue tinted sunglasses.
Poll: Which recent triallist should we have signed?

Getting a job at past 50 is no joke on 17:25 - Oct 9 with 4882 viewsLord_Lucan

Getting a job at past 50 is no joke on 16:41 - Oct 9 by artsbossbeard

I'm in the same kinda boat.

I'm bored of corporate sh1te and could quite easily handle something like an admin or driving role.

I'm now supposed to be mentoring 5x ex-grads and showing them how to properly manage clients to include not dipping into emoji world when conversing. They don't listen and have no interest in listening and I feel like that old fart who brings the office banter down when I pick them up on things.

I'll give it 3 more months..

I'm looking for a Sales Director on the wholesale side of things if you are interested.

I'm not giving you a bloody car though.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Getting a job at past 50 is no joke on 17:37 - Oct 9 with 4817 viewsfloridablue

Getting a job at past 50 is no joke on 17:25 - Oct 9 by Lord_Lucan

I'm looking for a Sales Director on the wholesale side of things if you are interested.

Any part-time positions in Florida ……..with truck?
Getting a job at past 50 is no joke on 17:39 - Oct 9 with 4807 viewschicoazul

Have you tried agencies? Not the greatest of pay but they are falling over themselves for good solid reliable mature staff with experience who will turn up.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Getting a job at past 50 is no joke on 17:42 - Oct 9 with 4793 viewsartsbossbeard

Getting a job at past 50 is no joke on 17:25 - Oct 9 by Lord_Lucan

I'll supply my own car, sorted.

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.

Getting a job at past 50 is no joke on 17:48 - Oct 9 with 4765 viewsLord_Lucan

Getting a job at past 50 is no joke on 17:42 - Oct 9 by artsbossbeard

I'll supply my own car, sorted.

Depending on your gravy train demands it might be workable if you are serious - although whether I claw back a certain multiple retailer this week could make a difference (STW got me that account)

It might also involve taking over Sage accounts though - then I can sack the smelly Norwich tit.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Getting a job at past 50 is no joke on 17:50 - Oct 9 with 4755 viewsartsbossbeard

Getting a job at past 50 is no joke on 17:48 - Oct 9 by Lord_Lucan

Depending on your gravy train demands it might be workable if you are serious - although whether I claw back a certain multiple retailer this week could make a difference (STW got me that account)

It might also involve taking over Sage accounts though - then I can sack the smelly Norwich tit.

I'll get my PA to sort a meet.

Speak soon.

Getting a job at past 50 is no joke on 18:06 - Oct 9 with 4702 viewsRoyKeanesDog

Getting a job at past 50 is no joke on 17:20 - Oct 9 by NoCanariesAllowed

I'm not sure getting a job at any age is easy nowadays. I'm in my early 30s and been out of work for a while. We all know the issues teens and 20-year-olds are having, while my dad is still working in his 70s and finding the contracts drying up.

Not much encouragement but at least you can take solace that you're by no means a special case when it comes to the difficulty of finding work!

Sorry but I think that's bollox.

Poll: Best Football Song

Getting a job at past 50 is no joke on 18:39 - Oct 9 with 4595 viewschicoazul

Getting a job at past 50 is no joke on 18:06 - Oct 9 by RoyKeanesDog

Sorry but I think that's bollox.

Getting *a* job is very easy. Go to your local industrial estate, find the smelly dirty employers with 30+ staff who make widgets or distribute things, they always need someone for cleaning handballing etc.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!

Getting a job at past 50 is no joke on 19:06 - Oct 9 with 4491 viewsswede

I'm in a similar situation, but am ten years older than you. I found my self out of work in May through the closure of my long term employer. I have worked for 42 years and becoming unemployed has been a huge shock and eye-opener. I thought my years of experience would be of use, but even getting a reply from an application is a real success. Most are just ignored even though I'm willing to take a huge reduction in salary just to work.

It may be illegal, but age discrimination is very much alive and well..
Getting a job at past 50 is no joke on 21:05 - Oct 9 with 4256 viewstabletopjoe

Getting a job at past 50 is no joke on 19:06 - Oct 9 by swede

I'm in a similar situation, but am ten years older than you. I found my self out of work in May through the closure of my long term employer. I have worked for 42 years and becoming unemployed has been a huge shock and eye-opener. I thought my years of experience would be of use, but even getting a reply from an application is a real success. Most are just ignored even though I'm willing to take a huge reduction in salary just to work.

Sorry to hear, what kind of work do you do?

'Let the ignorant argue with themselves' -- CL

Getting a job at past 50 is no joke on 21:24 - Oct 9 with 4210 viewsBrianTablet

Unless you are a stand-up comedian.

"......Paul Mariner......John Wark...... Brian Tablet...errrrrrr Talbot"
Poll: In a hellish scenario, would you rather...

Getting a job at past 50 is no joke on 21:50 - Oct 9 with 4146 viewsswede

Getting a job at past 50 is no joke on 21:05 - Oct 9 by tabletopjoe

Sorry to hear, what kind of work do you do?

I was in sales working for a greeting card publisher and printer. There are very few salespeople still on the road these days calling into retail stores as so much is done centrally and automated now. I have just managed to get a few casual hours filling displays for a company where I was an area manager thirty years ago. It's a start and a long way below what I was doing, but actually I am very happy to get the chance to work again in some capacity.

I too thought I might get an admin job or even working in a retail store, but despite dozens of applications have rarely even had an acknowledgement of my application.
Getting a job at past 50 is no joke on 09:09 - Oct 10 with 3798 viewsHeathlander

Getting a job at past 50 is no joke on 19:06 - Oct 9 by swede

You're not wrong. I have applied for dozens of jobs which in theory I should walk into. As you say I don't even get a reply to say I was unsuccessful. I have put it down to the age as I can't see it being skills or experience.

Even job applications take about two to three hours these days. No one wants a CV they all want on-line applications. As someone said maybe Brexit will help :)
Getting a job at past 50 is no joke on 09:17 - Oct 10 with 3771 viewshampstead_blue

It depends what you want to do.

I'm not alluding to low skilled jobs.
The Citizens Advice Bureau are hiring for Pension Wise Guiders.

It's true that very few >50's will compete for the top jobs but maybe try a course in Project Management, Change Management. Something different.

Your experience is worth something, and I agree that finding that spot is hard.

Assumption is to make an ass out of you and me. Those who assume they know you, when they don't are just guessing. Those who assume and insist they know are daft and in denial. Those who assume, insist, and deny the truth are plain stupid. Those who assume, insist, deny the truth and tell YOU they know you (when they don't) have an IQ in the range of 35-49.
Poll: Best Blackpool goal

Getting a job at past 50 is no joke on 09:35 - Oct 10 with 3735 viewschicoazul

Getting a job at past 50 is no joke on 21:50 - Oct 9 by swede

I was in sales working for a greeting card publisher and printer. There are very few salespeople still on the road these days calling into retail stores as so much is done centrally and automated now. I have just managed to get a few casual hours filling displays for a company where I was an area manager thirty years ago. It's a start and a long way below what I was doing, but actually I am very happy to get the chance to work again in some capacity.

I too thought I might get an admin job or even working in a retail store, but despite dozens of applications have rarely even had an acknowledgement of my application.

I suggest you maybe need to take a more "hit the bricks approach" (if you havent already). Identify local businesses near you or businesses you admire, walk in their office, present your CV in a smart way to reception, and elevator pitch the receptionist. Also link in with their key employees on LinkedIn, like their updates etc, and try to get in that way.
Finally, again if you havent already, make yourself known at 2 or 3 good local agencies (the best are often independents rather than the Hays or Reeds of this world) and take a similar approach with them.I speak as someone who has worked in local recruitment for 15 years, sadly not in your market.
Good luck.

Getting a job at past 50 is no joke on 10:11 - Oct 10 with 3674 viewsNo9

Well, according to the government there are thousands of employers who can't get workers
It's a land of milk & honey

Not that they tell lies of course

Good luck & be careful when they try to push you into self employment that is a ploy do disable you to any type of assistance you may be entitled to
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024