Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Vegans 19:32 - Oct 31 with 17035 viewsDiceMan

I don't understand why it is acceptable for people to criticize, attack and take the p1ss out of vegans on this forum?
People turn to a vegan lifestyle because they don't believe animals should be exploited , they are compassionate, they care about the environment and for health reasons.
Being anti-vegan is the same as being racist, sexist, homophobic or antisemitic as far as I'm concerned
Vegans are such an easy target and it's always the same old jokes.
Murdering animals is absolutely hilarious isn't it

Poll: Best Sheffield Band?

Vegans on 15:53 - Nov 1 with 1540 viewsLeagueOne

Vegans on 11:18 - Nov 1 by eireblue

Being a vegan, isn't about a diet.

Yep, the venn diagram of humans that are dIcks, and all other types of ways a human could be described, would be quite interconnected and complex to draw.

Insulting an XXX, just because they are an XXX, is always a reflection on the insulter not the insultee.

A vegan getting stick is not racial abuse or homophobia in the same way a vegan claiming a meat eater is xy or z also isn't racial abuse or homophobia.

Your diet is your choice, as is mine, we're free to criticize that but attacking someone's colour or sexuality is not acceptable, and to even put it on par with racism or homophobia shows a great level of insult to those who have suffered that vile abuse.

I don't think vegans should get stick myself but nothing is free from criticism either. There is always someone who will disagree and that is life. If the post had stated I think vegans get unfair stick for their diet i'd have agreed. But comparing it to racism and homophobia is incredibly selfish and frankly insulting.
[Post edited 1 Nov 2018 15:54]

It's time to make the best of it.
Poll: Would you leave TWTD if political threads were banned?

Vegans on 15:56 - Nov 1 with 1531 viewsmonytowbray

Vegans on 15:42 - Nov 1 by Whymarkmariner

Yes your right, what people decide to do with their lives is up to them as long as they don't try to enforce that lifestyle on other people. Unfortunately some pleasures which people partake in such as drugs or alcohol abuse directly effects others. I should know as I have a Daughter who took drugs when she was young and believe me it effects the rest of her life and mine and others. With regard to animals killed for food I have two points. Firstly they are killed humanly and secondly if no one ate meat then they wouldn't be in existence.

Your two food points fall over quite clearly though.

Not all farmed animals are treated and killed humanely. It’s impossible to do so with the current population levels, demand of convenience and need of competitive pricing.

Is keeping an animal alive at the expense of the environment for the sake of a life of pain then death justified?

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

Vegans on 16:01 - Nov 1 with 1513 viewsmonytowbray

Vegans on 15:50 - Nov 1 by J2BLUE

Genuine question...would the more productive place be an echo chamber vegan forum where no one questions your stance and everyone gets a pat on the back for bat sh1t analogies which make no sense?

I don't ask that to take the piss. I used to be on the Atkins diet and be exactly the same as you. I hung around low carb forums and became the evangelical low carber who swallowed every word of the Atkins book and other low carb stuff. At one time I was genuinely afraid of carbs thinking they would spike insulin and i'd gain weight. I went 6+ months on <20g carbs per day and it took me YEARS to overcome the fear of carbs and realise it really is just calories that count. I'm not suggesting you will abandon veganism or saying that you're wrong but one day your stance might soften. If you're interested in a bit of balance google former vegan interview. There's loads of them. Even if it's just to arm yourself with the knowledge of what problems can come up. Again I want to point out i'm not wishing you to fail as your choices are irrelevant to me.

I like being challenged by other vegans, in fact prefer it to being challenged by non-vegans. Not all vegans see eye to eye, as I mentioned above on the “accidental purchase” post. Most vegans I know are on a journey and are well aware it’s a big step in the right direction as opposed to a perfect solution.

I’ve certainly cut out almond replacement products because of the water/transport impact, even though I could drink as much almond milk as I like and still have a lower carbon footprint than a meat eater. I also now only buy cosmetics from Lush or H&B to know I’m avoiding animal testing, which I will admit is middle class as feck but I can afford it.

TWTD never forgets…

Vegans on 16:03 - Nov 1 with 1505 viewsMelford

I'm heading that way through health reasons TBH. I have IBS problems, the only dairy I really have day to day now is skimmed milk in my tea because I literally can't stomach anything else apart from the occasional cheese binge when I can't help myself. I haven't eaten red meat for the last couple of years because I can't break it down apart from my Xmas day steak. Apart from pork chops and chicken and the odd sausage I'm pretty much there.

Not for any ethical reason, I still love the taste of meat. I'm a chef by trade and cook loads of tasty dishes containing meat and dairy. It's purely pragmatic for me, if I don't want my as*e and guts a disaster zone after a meal I stick to things that won't send me off.

Dragging TWTD into the gutter since 2009
Poll: What do you call this site?

Vegans on 16:05 - Nov 1 with 1502 viewsJ2BLUE

Vegans on 16:01 - Nov 1 by monytowbray

I like being challenged by other vegans, in fact prefer it to being challenged by non-vegans. Not all vegans see eye to eye, as I mentioned above on the “accidental purchase” post. Most vegans I know are on a journey and are well aware it’s a big step in the right direction as opposed to a perfect solution.

I’ve certainly cut out almond replacement products because of the water/transport impact, even though I could drink as much almond milk as I like and still have a lower carbon footprint than a meat eater. I also now only buy cosmetics from Lush or H&B to know I’m avoiding animal testing, which I will admit is middle class as feck but I can afford it.

I think a lot of cosmetics now make a point of saying not tested on animals? Original Source, Dove, etc.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Vegans on 16:28 - Nov 1 with 1465 viewsStokieBlue

Vegans on 16:05 - Nov 1 by J2BLUE

I think a lot of cosmetics now make a point of saying not tested on animals? Original Source, Dove, etc.

Out of interest (and I don't really want to get into a massive debate), does anyone know the vegan position on medical animal testing?

For instance, Insulin was developed using dogs but it saves millions of lives, the VP of PETA uses it.

I guess it’s pragmatism, for some things there are no alternatives and you have to accept that but for the things there are then it’s a choice to have the vegan alternative.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Vegans on 16:29 - Nov 1 with 1479 viewsBlueBadger

Vegans on 09:16 - Nov 1 by braveblue

So easily offended. Get a grip. To compare a vegan joke with racism - embarrassing.

In all fairness, you once made up a whole story about Luke Chambers swearing at fans and then got upset about it, which is, when you think about it, pretty embarassing.
Chambers our best ever Captain? by braveblue 27 Jul 2018 14:43
Miles below Holland. Don’t remember Holland swearing and having a go at the fans.

[Post edited 1 Nov 2018 16:30]

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: Where would it be funniest to see NCFC fans crying on the telly?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Vegans on 16:32 - Nov 1 with 1457 viewsjeera

Vegans on 15:37 - Nov 1 by J2BLUE

China is a much better argument than someone's pet. I repeat though that if China had a nice free range dog farm where the dogs lived a good life until they were slaughtered I wouldn't have an issue with it.

It could be served with its favourite toy next to the plate for a bit of authenticity.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Login to get fewer ads

Vegans on 18:33 - Nov 1 with 1396 viewsRyorry

Vegans on 15:45 - Nov 1 by monytowbray

If that’s how you feel then fine. As I said I’m bored of doing this though. I could spend my time talking about this stuff much more productively elsewhere

So why don't you? You said in your 3.44pm reply to wkj

"I’m simply explaining my opinion in a way that may trigger a change if someone took such a challenge on board openly."

What you refuse to get or are blind to is that by adopting the aggressive, confrontational approach that you do towards people like J2 and myself, you do "trigger a change" - you actually alienate people from your cause! He & I and a few others have made it clear over the years that we eat only wild or free range, high welfare standard meat, and are opposed to factory farming. Therefore it's not us that should be your targets - we're obviously not going to change our diet because of anything you say anyway. It'd be far, far more profitable for you to save your time and energy for the mass consumption market, where conditions are horrible, and to have roped people like us in to add weight to your campaign - in practical terms, not by endlessly banging on into thin air on this particular social media site, which has recorded many times before, on same old same old circular "vegan" threads, that you achieve absolutely nothing!

As for your later comment "Killing something that isn’t ready or willing to die isn’t compassionate." - you again show in your refusal to read what I'd said earlier, a lack of willingness to educate yourself which is counterproductive. Have you ever looked after bantams or turkeys on an organic smallholding, do you know their various behaviours, how they react to various stimuli etc? I'm sure they weren't ready to be born either, but they were bred for purpose, lived a wonderful, natural life (apart from being safe from natural predators) and died similarly oblivious to the fact that they were going to die or were being killed. If that life were offered to me, sign me up! cos it's a helluva lot easier & pleasanter than what most humans go through!

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Vegans on 20:40 - Nov 1 with 1333 viewsmonytowbray

Vegans on 18:33 - Nov 1 by Ryorry

So why don't you? You said in your 3.44pm reply to wkj

"I’m simply explaining my opinion in a way that may trigger a change if someone took such a challenge on board openly."

What you refuse to get or are blind to is that by adopting the aggressive, confrontational approach that you do towards people like J2 and myself, you do "trigger a change" - you actually alienate people from your cause! He & I and a few others have made it clear over the years that we eat only wild or free range, high welfare standard meat, and are opposed to factory farming. Therefore it's not us that should be your targets - we're obviously not going to change our diet because of anything you say anyway. It'd be far, far more profitable for you to save your time and energy for the mass consumption market, where conditions are horrible, and to have roped people like us in to add weight to your campaign - in practical terms, not by endlessly banging on into thin air on this particular social media site, which has recorded many times before, on same old same old circular "vegan" threads, that you achieve absolutely nothing!

As for your later comment "Killing something that isn’t ready or willing to die isn’t compassionate." - you again show in your refusal to read what I'd said earlier, a lack of willingness to educate yourself which is counterproductive. Have you ever looked after bantams or turkeys on an organic smallholding, do you know their various behaviours, how they react to various stimuli etc? I'm sure they weren't ready to be born either, but they were bred for purpose, lived a wonderful, natural life (apart from being safe from natural predators) and died similarly oblivious to the fact that they were going to die or were being killed. If that life were offered to me, sign me up! cos it's a helluva lot easier & pleasanter than what most humans go through!

You just can’t help yourself, can you?

Where have I been aggressive and confrontational in this thread? I’ve actively stated I’m not doing this again for the sake of board harmony and J2 seems fine (I even quote posted him earlier for hitting the nail on the head). I’ve said my time would be better spent elsewhere too, it’s almost as if you want a row. You can do that with yourself, I’m on holiday. Laters.

TWTD never forgets…

Vegans on 21:00 - Nov 1 with 1310 viewsJ2BLUE

Vegans on 16:32 - Nov 1 by jeera

It could be served with its favourite toy next to the plate for a bit of authenticity.

You are one cold bastard. Although I did laugh. Quite a lot.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Vegans on 00:32 - Nov 2 with 1220 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

Vegans on 09:55 - Nov 1 by Bluearmy71

" If you wanna eat meat, accept you don’t care about animals or that your morals are a bit skewed - I’m not here to make you feel better or justify your actions."

Last time I ate steak it did not quash the love I have for all animals and if I didn't love animals I wouldn't have given my dogs some of the steak but I did and they seemed to love it just as much as I.

I fear its a case of you not liking the actions of meat eaters and reasoning with yourself that they can't love animals as much as you do to justify you having a pop at them at the first chance you get!

I fully respect your choice but the utter boll*ocks you spout to try and shame people for their choice is despicably low, maybe that has a lot to do with peoples perceptions, get on with your life and stop pushing your choice on others!!

Spot on.

I don’t post on here that much anymore but I had to click this thread to see what utter sh1te Callis was posting here. That line you’ve quoted from him is an absolute classic.

Poll: Would you take a draw tonight if offered right now?

Vegans on 01:28 - Nov 2 with 1196 viewsmonytowbray

Vegans on 00:32 - Nov 2 by The_Romford_Blue

Spot on.

I don’t post on here that much anymore but I had to click this thread to see what utter sh1te Callis was posting here. That line you’ve quoted from him is an absolute classic.

You mean the line he’s yet to post any logical argument against in response.

Yeah, he really showed me with his cognitive dissonance!

TWTD never forgets…

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024