Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
A question for the commuters 13:03 - Nov 14 with 5947 viewsunbelievablue

A couple of months ago I started a new job (which I love) which is in a beautiful location around 2 hours and 2 trains away from where I live. Moving to said location isn't likely to be feasible in the near future, btw.

I actually don't mind the commute, as I have become an early bird and I get a seat on both trains which is a luxury. So this isn't me moaning. Rather, I'm interested, what do others who have a lengthy commute do to pass the time? Sleep? Read? Work? Listen to music? Listen to podcasts? Leer at other passengers?

[Post edited 14 Nov 2018 13:04]

Le meilleur des mondes possibles
Poll: When booking a reservation at a restaurant/bar, do you give...

A question for the commuters on 20:46 - Nov 14 with 1411 viewsBrixtonBlue

A question for the commuters on 13:19 - Nov 14 by DanTheMan

I don't have that long of a commute (40mins each way) but I tend to fill that with Podcasts.

Also now have a Switch which is great for public transport.

Excuse my ignorance, but what is the Switch you are referring to?

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

A question for the commuters on 20:47 - Nov 14 with 1407 viewsSpruceMoose

A question for the commuters on 20:46 - Nov 14 by BrixtonBlue

I believe it’s some kind of sex toy.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

A question for the commuters on 21:00 - Nov 14 with 1393 viewsBrixtonBlue

A question for the commuters on 18:36 - Nov 14 by clive_baker

It certainly is, I’m involved in budgeting for that as part of my job and the rents are eye watering. People question why companies can’t give out more apprenticeships and the answer is it’s often not the £20k a year salary commitment that’s the issue, it’s actually the office costs associated with housing people from 9 - 5 that’s prohibitive.

Surely if people already have an office, popping an apprentice in there makes no odds. Likewise, if they don't have an office they're not going to rent one just for apprentices?

Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

A question for the commuters on 21:00 - Nov 14 with 1391 viewsEwan_Oozami

I'm lucky I can WFH or drive into office (about 30 mins away) but the missus commutes into London from Ipswich 4 days a week (she works in the, highly appropriately named for this site, Cheesegrater) - she just downloads box sets to her iPad and watches those on the train

Just one small problem; sell their houses to who, Ben? Fcking Aquaman?
Poll: What else could go on top of the cake apart from icing and a cherry?

A question for the commuters on 23:45 - Nov 14 with 1351 viewswallyvincent

Fair play mate enjoy it!
I worked in London for 16 years with a 2/2.5 hour commute everyday. Didn't really think anything of it but the final year was hell. Don't know what changed just started to resent it, and now have a half hour commute for half the money I was getting and don't miss it one bit.
I used to do the usual stuff read a paper, listen to music, bits of work, watch videos, play Football manager etc, have a kip.
it's amazing how you get trained to it and don't see it as a chore when lots I spoke to used to bulk at the mere mention of the journey time.

“....he’s a young tearaway by the name of Wally Vincent” - DCI Frank Haskins, Metropolitan Police Flying Squad 1975

A question for the commuters on 07:29 - Nov 15 with 1302 viewsDanTheMan

Nintendo Switch.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

A question for the commuters on 07:47 - Nov 15 with 1296 viewsBluebell

I love you Dolly!

I didn't comment because I thought it was probably only me that didn't know what Switch is.

This is the only switch I know anything about but I am old ......

A question for the commuters on 08:50 - Nov 15 with 1285 viewsartsbossbeard

I really do appreciate working from home and the thought of spending 4hrs+ a day travelling to and from work blows my mind.

I used to have an hour commute and brushed up on my Italian and Spanish en route.

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.
Poll: Raining in IP8 - shall I get the washing in?

Login to get fewer ads

A question for the commuters on 09:06 - Nov 15 with 1278 viewsBrixtonBlue

A question for the commuters on 07:47 - Nov 15 by Bluebell

I love you Dolly!

I didn't comment because I thought it was probably only me that didn't know what Switch is.

This is the only switch I know anything about but I am old ......

I've got loads of those. They came free with my house.
[Post edited 15 Nov 2018 9:06]

A question for the commuters on 09:33 - Nov 15 with 1256 viewsWestSussexBlue

A question for the commuters on 15:46 - Nov 14 by MJallday

I tend to Sleep, although the other commuters on the A419 hate it.

my commute is about 1.5 hours each way by car. ive been doing it 5 years so its second nature now - i tend to mix it up... ill go M5>M50 > ledbury some days, A40 > ross other days, B4225 others. i can actually tell what time within a couple of minutes it is by the position i am on my commute. bit weird tbh - most people look at clocks :)

otherwise, radio is my companion. ive been through 5000 odd songs on my USB so many times i can tell the running order, so i tend to stick to the chat stations.

[Post edited 14 Nov 2018 15:49]

Where do you commute from and work Mj?
Ledbury/ Ross is where my folks all live, I’m out on a bit of a limb down here on the South coast.
A question for the commuters on 11:36 - Nov 15 with 1233 viewsunbelievablue

A question for the commuters on 14:26 - Nov 14 by BlueinBrum

Jesus is it really 2 hours?! Poor old buh

Door to desk.
[Post edited 15 Nov 2018 11:36]

Le meilleur des mondes possibles
Poll: When booking a reservation at a restaurant/bar, do you give...

A question for the commuters on 15:04 - Nov 15 with 1203 viewsJoey_Joe_Joe_Junior

A question for the commuters on 08:50 - Nov 15 by artsbossbeard

I really do appreciate working from home and the thought of spending 4hrs+ a day travelling to and from work blows my mind.

I used to have an hour commute and brushed up on my Italian and Spanish en route.

I'd hate working from home I would get nothing done, plus having a happy hour by yourself is a bit weird.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024