Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Britain has worst record for antisemitism in Europe says report 08:46 - Dec 11 with 8369 viewsGlasgowBlue

Nearly third of Jews say they are thinking of emigrating out of fears for their safety
European commissioner for justice urges Jeremy Corbyn to take heed of results

https://www.theguardian.com/news/2018/dec/10/britain-has-worst-record-for-antise

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Britain has worst record for antisemitism in Europe says report on 09:05 - Dec 11 with 5135 viewsmonytowbray

Why Corbyn specifically? He's not in power.

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

Britain has worst record for antisemitism in Europe says report on 09:14 - Dec 11 with 5122 viewsSwansea_Blue

Without wanting to trivialise what is obviously a very important issue, because the result was anomalous just for the political sphere, and assuming the vast majority of British Jews won't have contact with said political sphere, can we be confident that the views in the poll reflect actual experiences rather the repeated messages in the press or political bias amongst the participants?

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Britain has worst record for antisemitism in Europe says report on 09:15 - Dec 11 with 5122 viewsJakeITFC

I’m really sure you deeply care for the cause of completely eradicating anti-semitism, but I think that message would be stronger if you weren’t trying to bash the Labour Party every single time you post links of this ilk.
[Post edited 11 Dec 2018 9:24]
Britain has worst record for antisemitism in Europe says report on 09:22 - Dec 11 with 5093 viewsGlasgowBlue

Britain has worst record for antisemitism in Europe says report on 09:15 - Dec 11 by JakeITFC

I’m really sure you deeply care for the cause of completely eradicating anti-semitism, but I think that message would be stronger if you weren’t trying to bash the Labour Party every single time you post links of this ilk.
[Post edited 11 Dec 2018 9:24]

I think you will find I have linked what is reported in the Guardian. And they have quoted the European commissioner for justice, Věra Jourová who only mentions one British politician.

Perhaps you should take issue with her rather than me. Then again, perhaps you should ask yourself why she has only mentioned Mr Corbyn.

I have no wish for a ten pager so won’t comment any further. I have posted the Guardian article. Make of it what you wish.
[Post edited 11 Dec 2018 9:37]

Iron Lion Zion

Britain has worst record for antisemitism in Europe says report on 09:36 - Dec 11 with 5067 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Britain has worst record for antisemitism in Europe says report on 09:22 - Dec 11 by GlasgowBlue

I think you will find I have linked what is reported in the Guardian. And they have quoted the European commissioner for justice, Věra Jourová who only mentions one British politician.

Perhaps you should take issue with her rather than me. Then again, perhaps you should ask yourself why she has only mentioned Mr Corbyn.

I have no wish for a ten pager so won’t comment any further. I have posted the Guardian article. Make of it what you wish.
[Post edited 11 Dec 2018 9:37]

With the relentless campaigning of various pressure groups it would be surprising if perceptions nad not been affected......strange you highlight the Corbyn angle when it references so much more such as.....
"In France, 95% of Jews believe antisemitism is a very or fairly big problem, up from 85% when the poll was last run six years ago. Nine out of 10 Jews in France say they had faced expressions of hostility on the street."

.....but that was probably Corbyn too.

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Britain has worst record for antisemitism in Europe says report on 09:40 - Dec 11 with 5049 viewsGlasgowBlue

Britain has worst record for antisemitism in Europe says report on 09:36 - Dec 11 by BanksterDebtSlave

With the relentless campaigning of various pressure groups it would be surprising if perceptions nad not been affected......strange you highlight the Corbyn angle when it references so much more such as.....
"In France, 95% of Jews believe antisemitism is a very or fairly big problem, up from 85% when the poll was last run six years ago. Nine out of 10 Jews in France say they had faced expressions of hostility on the street."

.....but that was probably Corbyn too.

‘The results for the UK were peculiar, however, in the high level of concern expressed about the political sphere

There isn’t much you or I can do with regards to the French elections but we can make sure we don’t elect an antisemite to the position of Prime Minister in the United Kingdom.

Iron Lion Zion

Britain has worst record for antisemitism in Europe says report on 09:46 - Dec 11 with 5036 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Britain has worst record for antisemitism in Europe says report on 09:40 - Dec 11 by GlasgowBlue

‘The results for the UK were peculiar, however, in the high level of concern expressed about the political sphere

There isn’t much you or I can do with regards to the French elections but we can make sure we don’t elect an antisemite to the position of Prime Minister in the United Kingdom.

......but with the Summer news agenda this is meaningless, of course perception would be as described.....in other parts of Europe, unfortunately, experience is actual and "on the street."

Britain has worst record for antisemitism in Europe says report on 09:51 - Dec 11 with 5021 viewsStokieBlue

Britain has worst record for antisemitism in Europe says report on 09:46 - Dec 11 by BanksterDebtSlave

......but with the Summer news agenda this is meaningless, of course perception would be as described.....in other parts of Europe, unfortunately, experience is actual and "on the street."

"Summer news agenda" basically gives you a hand wave over anything which you don't like.

It's not a valid argument in my opinion. Why would a European agency care or follow a UK news agenda.

SB
[Post edited 11 Dec 2018 9:52]

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Login to get fewer ads

Britain has worst record for antisemitism in Europe says report on 09:55 - Dec 11 with 5011 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Britain has worst record for antisemitism in Europe says report on 09:51 - Dec 11 by StokieBlue

"Summer news agenda" basically gives you a hand wave over anything which you don't like.

It's not a valid argument in my opinion. Why would a European agency care or follow a UK news agenda.

SB
[Post edited 11 Dec 2018 9:52]

So you do not believe that respondents answers were in any way shaped by what they saw and heard on the news?

Britain has worst record for antisemitism in Europe says report on 09:57 - Dec 11 with 5004 viewsmonytowbray

I think the best way to deal with these threads is post this and walk away. It's a problem for sure, but it's not exclusive to one party.

TWTD never forgets…

Britain has worst record for antisemitism in Europe says report on 10:02 - Dec 11 with 4986 viewsPinewoodblue

Britain has worst record for antisemitism in Europe says report on 09:40 - Dec 11 by GlasgowBlue

What is most disturbing is the fact across the EU the Jewish community appears to be living in fear. The number who fear they may have to emigrate is worrying, incidentally the figure for the UK was below average. Where on earth are they going to emigrate to, certainly not Germany or France.

The comments about Corbyn are simply EU medling . Not sure fear of him being antisemitic comes into anyone's top three reasons why he shouldn't be PM.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Britain has worst record for antisemitism in Europe says report on 10:09 - Dec 11 with 4953 viewsBlueBadger

Britain has worst record for antisemitism in Europe says report on 10:02 - Dec 11 by Pinewoodblue

What is most disturbing is the fact across the EU the Jewish community appears to be living in fear. The number who fear they may have to emigrate is worrying, incidentally the figure for the UK was below average. Where on earth are they going to emigrate to, certainly not Germany or France.

The comments about Corbyn are simply EU medling . Not sure fear of him being antisemitic comes into anyone's top three reasons why he shouldn't be PM.

For what it's worth, Corbyn strikes me as taking a position similar to Farage when he was leading UKP when it comes to the more unsavoury element in his party. He makes the right noises when it's brought to media attention but ultimately does very little(Ken Livingstone being the classic example) because thsi nasty element make up a significant(albeit not majority) or acts slowly portion of his support base.

And for me, that's not good enough. Frankly, I expect a half-arsed approach from a UKIP leader towards bigotry in t heir ranks, I don't from a Labour leader.
[Post edited 11 Dec 2018 10:10]

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Britain has worst record for antisemitism in Europe says report on 10:15 - Dec 11 with 4942 viewsStokieBlue

Britain has worst record for antisemitism in Europe says report on 09:57 - Dec 11 by monytowbray

I think the best way to deal with these threads is post this and walk away. It's a problem for sure, but it's not exclusive to one party.

Why is that poll more definitive than the other one or any of the other polls done over the last year?

It’s also from 2017.

I’m not saying it’s not accurate, just what justification is for that poll to be the definitive one?

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Britain has worst record for antisemitism in Europe says report on 10:28 - Dec 11 with 4922 viewsCoachRob

Britain has worst record for antisemitism in Europe says report on 10:02 - Dec 11 by Pinewoodblue

Glassers have been called out many times on here for quantitative errors, not understanding the problems of qualitative surveys and extrapolating nonsense from data. The Jewish population trend is downwards since the 1955 census. Raheem Sterling stated the British (hard) right wing media is to blame for fuelling racism and the hard right has history against it on the issue of anti-Semitism.
Britain has worst record for antisemitism in Europe says report on 10:46 - Dec 11 with 4887 viewsPinewoodblue

Britain has worst record for antisemitism in Europe says report on 10:15 - Dec 11 by StokieBlue

Why is that poll more definitive than the other one or any of the other polls done over the last year?

It’s also from 2017.

I’m not saying it’s not accurate, just what justification is for that poll to be the definitive one?

SB

If you stop and think about the information Callie's had provided approaches the issue from a different angle. It highlights the fact that there are differences by age, politic persuasion and attitude to Brexit.

What is concerning is that you would think as us oldies die off the overall problem would diminish. Sadly it is growing. I am part of a generation that has attitudes younger people disapprove of, we are quite simple not politically correct enough.

See Corbyn's comment about English irony not being understood.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Britain has worst record for antisemitism in Europe says report on 11:04 - Dec 11 with 4847 viewssparks

Britain has worst record for antisemitism in Europe says report on 10:15 - Dec 11 by StokieBlue

It’s also from 2017.

SB

Id want to see the list of antisemitic statements said to be endorsed or not endorsed, upon which that graph is based. In some quarters criticising Israel is thought to qualify...

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

Britain has worst record for antisemitism in Europe says report on 11:34 - Dec 11 with 4806 viewsmonytowbray

Britain has worst record for antisemitism in Europe says report on 11:04 - Dec 11 by sparks

Id want to see the list of antisemitic statements said to be endorsed or not endorsed, upon which that graph is based. In some quarters criticising Israel is thought to qualify...

The link the image is from is here...

https://www.channel4.com/news/factcheck/factcheck-antisemitism-political-parties

"The report’s findings are based on a representative sample of 1,614 British adults, who were asked for their views on seven statements about Jewish people.

The statements included stereotypes and tropes that are often associated with antisemitism, including “British Jewish people chase money more than other British people” and “Jewish people talk about the Holocaust just to further their political agenda.”

Respondents were also asked about their political affiliations. Combining those two sets of data allowed the report’s authors to produce the following graph, which we’ve seen doing the rounds on Twitter as Labour’s antisemitism debate rumbles on."

No full list of questions sadly, however it's still an interesting read.

I'm 100% against anti-semitism, but the continual single finger pointed at one party/person when it's clearly not an exclusive issue, nor from what I am aware is encouraged via policies (for example saying UKIP and views on non-British people living/working in the UK) is getting a bit dull.

TWTD never forgets…

Britain has worst record for antisemitism in Europe says report on 12:10 - Dec 15 with 4582 viewsjaseitfc

Britain has worst record for antisemitism in Europe says report on 09:57 - Dec 11 by monytowbray

Alarming thing here is that endorsements of anti Semitic statements are higher among progressive voters, which aids my feeling that many who label themselves liberal are not at all, & just label themselves that as its the in thing.
Britain has worst record for antisemitism in Europe says report on 12:19 - Dec 15 with 4565 viewsDanTheMan

Britain has worst record for antisemitism in Europe says report on 12:10 - Dec 15 by jaseitfc

Alarming thing here is that endorsements of anti Semitic statements are higher among progressive voters, which aids my feeling that many who label themselves liberal are not at all, & just label themselves that as its the in thing.

Are you sure you're reading those graphs correctly?

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Britain has worst record for antisemitism in Europe says report on 12:36 - Dec 15 with 4526 viewsGlasgowBlue

I hadn't planned on coming back to this thread and I have no time for further debate today but seeing as it has found it's way to the top of the board, I'll deal with your poll (which I have addressed on several occasions before)

You are right. Labour voters are less likely to hold anti semitic beliefs than Tory voters (although I didn't realise this was a game of antisemitism top trumps). I have stated this numerous times.

The series of antisemitic incidents in the Labour party are in no way a reflection of Labour voters. It's the activists and people at the top who are the issue.

A recent report by the Campaign against Anti Semitism found that officials (people elected to various positions and committees) from the Labour party were 8 times more likely to be anti semitic that officials from any other political party. The report also said that Labour voters are no more likely to be anti semitic than voters of other parties and that it showed how the Labour party has fallen out of step with its core supporters, who are generally less likely to hold anti-Semitic beliefs.

This is a very brief but informative article from the Quilliam Foundation on the subject.

http://journal.quilliaminternational.com/2018/12/06/jews-the-british-labour-part

As is this

https://hurryupharry.org/2018/12/15/jeremy-corbyn-and-an-exodus-from-britain/

And this is an informative watch.

[Post edited 15 Dec 2018 12:43]

Iron Lion Zion

Britain has worst record for antisemitism in Europe says report on 12:41 - Dec 15 with 4503 viewssparks

Britain has worst record for antisemitism in Europe says report on 11:34 - Dec 11 by monytowbray

The link the image is from is here...

https://www.channel4.com/news/factcheck/factcheck-antisemitism-political-parties

"The report’s findings are based on a representative sample of 1,614 British adults, who were asked for their views on seven statements about Jewish people.

The statements included stereotypes and tropes that are often associated with antisemitism, including “British Jewish people chase money more than other British people” and “Jewish people talk about the Holocaust just to further their political agenda.”

Respondents were also asked about their political affiliations. Combining those two sets of data allowed the report’s authors to produce the following graph, which we’ve seen doing the rounds on Twitter as Labour’s antisemitism debate rumbles on."

No full list of questions sadly, however it's still an interesting read.

I'm 100% against anti-semitism, but the continual single finger pointed at one party/person when it's clearly not an exclusive issue, nor from what I am aware is encouraged via policies (for example saying UKIP and views on non-British people living/working in the UK) is getting a bit dull.

Wordings below apparently. There are some interesting nuanced issues with a number of the statements imo. Can you definitively say that a particular person who has a degree of sympathy for no.2 is "anti semitic"?

Objectively (and taking it away from the specifics of jewishness), if a person has split loyalities of some kind, then one has split loyalties. Did we wonder about Owen Hargreaves loyalties a little bit when he grew up in Germany, spoke like an American and played for England? Doesnt make you think they are bad people, or prejudiced you against them. Doesnt even make you think they are disloyal- just that you recognise that there are two pulls for their loyalty.

Also, there is a real danger in simply discussing judaism as if it were just a racial thing. Frankly, many (most?) jewish people are not even obviously identifiable as such in everyday life. But there is the relgious element. So when one asks questions about whether a religous group thinks it is better than other people- and that religous group claims to be (for instance) god's chosen people, or to have the right answer and everyone else is wrong, there seems to me to be a difficulty.

Probably far too nuanced for any sensible debate on TWTD, but there it is.

2016 and 2017 wording: “British Jewish
people chase money more than other
British people
.”
2015 wording: “Jews chase money
more than other British people.

2016 and 2017 wording: “Having a
connection to Israel makes Jewish
people less loyal to Britain than other
British people
.”
2015 wording: “Jews' loyalty to Israel
makes them less loyal to Britain than
other British people.

2016 and 2017 wording: “Jewish people
consider themselves to be better than
other British people
.”
2015 wording: “Jews think they are
better than other people.

2016 and 2017 wording: “Compared to
other groups, Jewish people have too
much power in the media
.”
2015 wording: “Jews have too much
power in the media.

talk about the Holocaust just to further
their political agenda
.”
2015 wording: “Jews talk about the
Holocaust too much in order to get
sympathy.

can be trusted just as much as other
British people in business
.”
2015 wording: “In business, Jews are
not as honest as most people.

2016 and 2017 wording: “I am just as
open to having Jewish friends as I am to
having friends from other sections of
British society
.”
2015 wording: “I would be unhappy if a
family member married a Jew.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

Britain has worst record for antisemitism in Europe says report on 12:46 - Dec 15 with 4478 viewsHerbivore

It's odd that the OP didn't start a thread about the anti-Semitic chanting at the Chelsea game the other night, but then that would be fairly tricky to pin on Corbyn.

As for the report, the rise in anti-Semitism is certainly very depressing and need to be addressed through proper debate and engagement rather than attempted political point scoring.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Britain has worst record for antisemitism in Europe says report on 12:55 - Dec 15 with 4442 viewsLeagueOne

That title - has the world forgotten the second World War? When did the record begin, last week?

It's time to make the best of it.
Poll: Would you leave TWTD if political threads were banned?

Britain has worst record for antisemitism in Europe says report on 13:07 - Dec 15 with 4410 viewsLord_Lucan

Listen GB, I think you're ok but you are in danger of becoming a "Callis"

Personally I can't see how Britain is anywhere near the top of the list, it's just that we are more open with things.

It's a bit like the reason France didn't get Mad Cows Disease - they buried the cows and never told anyone.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Britain has worst record for antisemitism in Europe says report on 13:07 - Dec 15 with 4495 viewsjaseitfc

Britain has worst record for antisemitism in Europe says report on 12:19 - Dec 15 by DanTheMan

Are you sure you're reading those graphs correctly?

Red face! Did not see the "not" ... I'll just shut up and sit the rest of this one out
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024