Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Anyone else wondering whether this Gatwick drone thing is terror related? Nn 08:02 - Dec 20 with 21837 viewsgiant_stow

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Anyone else wondering whether this Gatwick drone thing is terror related? Nn on 08:04 - Dec 20 with 5345 viewsElderGrizzly

No, it’s moron related. Targetted, but moronic

This is why they’ve shut it down though

Anyone else wondering whether this Gatwick drone thing is terror related? Nn on 08:07 - Dec 20 with 5333 viewsIpswichKnight

It crossed my mind briefly but it's much more likely as others have said to be a moron who thinks it's cool to fly a drone over an airport. Doubt he will find being on remand over Christmas being so cool.
Anyone else wondering whether this Gatwick drone thing is terror related? Nn on 08:08 - Dec 20 with 5323 viewsgiant_stow

Anyone else wondering whether this Gatwick drone thing is terror related? Nn on 08:04 - Dec 20 by ElderGrizzly

Blimey look at that.

You seem pretty certain - how come??

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Anyone else wondering whether this Gatwick drone thing is terror related? Nn on 08:09 - Dec 20 with 5321 viewsgiant_stow

Anyone else wondering whether this Gatwick drone thing is terror related? Nn on 08:07 - Dec 20 by IpswichKnight

It crossed my mind briefly but it's much more likely as others have said to be a moron who thinks it's cool to fly a drone over an airport. Doubt he will find being on remand over Christmas being so cool.

Certainly messed a load of people around big time

Anyone else wondering whether this Gatwick drone thing is terror related? Nn on 08:19 - Dec 20 with 5286 viewsGlasgowBlue

Anyone else wondering whether this Gatwick drone thing is terror related? Nn on 08:09 - Dec 20 by giant_stow

Certainly messed a load of people around big time

Inconsiderate c*nt. thousands of families will be stuck in an airport instead of flying off for Christmas. A lot of people will have scrimped and saved for what is an expensive time to go on holiday.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Anyone else wondering whether this Gatwick drone thing is terror related? Nn on 08:27 - Dec 20 with 5269 viewsuefacup81

Anyone else wondering whether this Gatwick drone thing is terror related? Nn on 08:19 - Dec 20 by GlasgowBlue

Inconsiderate c*nt. thousands of families will be stuck in an airport instead of flying off for Christmas. A lot of people will have scrimped and saved for what is an expensive time to go on holiday.

Certainly raises an interesting point, though.

Will drones at airports become part of the toolkit of the climate protester (or any other issue, for that matter), given how easy it is to shut down a whole airport with one or two drones?

Poll: Predictions for tonight?

Anyone else wondering whether this Gatwick drone thing is terror related? Nn on 08:29 - Dec 20 with 5261 viewsbluelagos

Anyone else wondering whether this Gatwick drone thing is terror related? Nn on 08:04 - Dec 20 by ElderGrizzly

Cheers, was just about to post asking if a drone is really dangerous given the relative size vs an airplane. Clearly they are.

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Anyone else wondering whether this Gatwick drone thing is terror related? Nn on 08:30 - Dec 20 with 5251 viewsGlasgowBlue

Anyone else wondering whether this Gatwick drone thing is terror related? Nn on 08:27 - Dec 20 by uefacup81

Will drones at airports become part of the toolkit of the climate protester (or any other issue, for that matter), given how easy it is to shut down a whole airport with one or two drones?

Just sit till the vegans get hold of one and star buzzing it around the meat counter at Waitrose.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Login to get fewer ads

Anyone else wondering whether this Gatwick drone thing is terror related? Nn on 08:34 - Dec 20 with 5241 viewsSE1blue

Initially I thought bitter ex trying to stop other half and kids from going away on their holidays.

Now I think it’s just a moron whose got a drone early for Christmas, is out with a few beers and doesn’t know about the story that’s broken. Is probably wondering why he’s not getting any planes to film now.
[Post edited 20 Dec 2018 8:40]

Blog: D-I-V-O-R-C-E

Anyone else wondering whether this Gatwick drone thing is terror related? Nn on 08:38 - Dec 20 with 5224 viewsRadlett_blue

Anyone else wondering whether this Gatwick drone thing is terror related? Nn on 08:27 - Dec 20 by uefacup81

Exactly. This now appears an easy way to cause huge disruption & gain publicity. What I don't know is (1) how easy is it to find & disable a drone? Seems to have been near impossible in the dark. (2) how easy is it to find the controller of said drone? Clearly again not easy or else the authorities would have done so.
Airports need a plan for this or else umpteen others will try the same ploy.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Anyone else wondering whether this Gatwick drone thing is terror related? Nn on 08:45 - Dec 20 with 5195 viewsElderGrizzly

Anyone else wondering whether this Gatwick drone thing is terror related? Nn on 08:34 - Dec 20 by SE1blue

Initially I thought bitter ex trying to stop other half and kids from going away on their holidays.

Now I think it’s just a moron whose got a drone early for Christmas, is out with a few beers and doesn’t know about the story that’s broken. Is probably wondering why he’s not getting any planes to film now.
[Post edited 20 Dec 2018 8:40]

Definitely not a ‘prank’. The batteries last for about 20 - 30 mins, so they are having to bring it down to swap them out, or send up an alternative drone.

Sentence is up to 5 years if caught
Anyone else wondering whether this Gatwick drone thing is terror related? Nn on 08:45 - Dec 20 with 5185 viewsBurwell_Blue

Anyone else wondering whether this Gatwick drone thing is terror related? Nn on 08:29 - Dec 20 by bluelagos

Cheers, was just about to post asking if a drone is really dangerous given the relative size vs an airplane. Clearly they are.

Absolute Pony

A plastic drone into an airliner at 600mph will simply shatter.
Anyone else wondering whether this Gatwick drone thing is terror related? Nn on 08:45 - Dec 20 with 5185 viewsElderGrizzly

Anyone else wondering whether this Gatwick drone thing is terror related? Nn on 08:08 - Dec 20 by giant_stow

Blimey look at that.

You seem pretty certain - how come??

People I know working at Gatwick.
Anyone else wondering whether this Gatwick drone thing is terror related? Nn on 08:46 - Dec 20 with 5182 viewsStokieBlue

Anyone else wondering whether this Gatwick drone thing is terror related? Nn on 08:29 - Dec 20 by bluelagos

I think it would entirely depend on the speed the plane was moving at.

Being pulled into the engine would be the bigger worry.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Anyone else wondering whether this Gatwick drone thing is terror related? Nn on 08:47 - Dec 20 with 5181 viewsBurwell_Blue

Anyone else wondering whether this Gatwick drone thing is terror related? Nn on 08:38 - Dec 20 by Radlett_blue

Exactly. This now appears an easy way to cause huge disruption & gain publicity. What I don't know is (1) how easy is it to find & disable a drone? Seems to have been near impossible in the dark. (2) how easy is it to find the controller of said drone? Clearly again not easy or else the authorities would have done so.
Airports need a plan for this or else umpteen others will try the same ploy.

*should* be quite easy to pick up on the signal from handset to drone and the drone can also be set to provide an identification beacon, however if its second hand, then you presumably cannot trace the owner.
Anyone else wondering whether this Gatwick drone thing is terror related? Nn on 08:47 - Dec 20 with 5185 viewsElderGrizzly

Anyone else wondering whether this Gatwick drone thing is terror related? Nn on 08:45 - Dec 20 by Burwell_Blue

Absolute Pony

So you disagree with the people who did the research and the pilots who have to navigate these morons?

All depends on where the drone hits. The working assumption is these aren’t your £14.99 drones from Argos....
Anyone else wondering whether this Gatwick drone thing is terror related? Nn on 08:48 - Dec 20 with 5168 viewsMeadowlark

Might be checking out parking...........?
Anyone else wondering whether this Gatwick drone thing is terror related? Nn on 08:48 - Dec 20 with 5169 viewsBurwell_Blue

Anyone else wondering whether this Gatwick drone thing is terror related? Nn on 08:47 - Dec 20 by ElderGrizzly

So you disagree with the people who did the research and the pilots who have to navigate these morons?

All depends on where the drone hits. The working assumption is these aren’t your £14.99 drones from Argos....

Yes I disagree wholeheartedly. Other testing shows that they will fall into a million pieces, however one would assume that the turbulence around the aircraft will push the device to one side anyhow.
Anyone else wondering whether this Gatwick drone thing is terror related? Nn on 08:49 - Dec 20 with 5163 viewschicoazul

Hoping this incident will help with my ongoing "drones vaping craft beer" theory I am working on.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Anyone else wondering whether this Gatwick drone thing is terror related? Nn on 08:49 - Dec 20 with 5167 viewsElderGrizzly

Anyone else wondering whether this Gatwick drone thing is terror related? Nn on 08:47 - Dec 20 by Burwell_Blue

*should* be quite easy to pick up on the signal from handset to drone and the drone can also be set to provide an identification beacon, however if its second hand, then you presumably cannot trace the owner.

They’ve been watching it all night. More than one operator apparently and it is having to go down every 30 mins or so to change battery. Only a matter of time before they are caught
Anyone else wondering whether this Gatwick drone thing is terror related? Nn on 08:50 - Dec 20 with 5157 viewsStokieBlue

Anyone else wondering whether this Gatwick drone thing is terror related? Nn on 08:45 - Dec 20 by Burwell_Blue

Absolute Pony

You are likely correct however how many planes are flying at 600mph at the height of a drone near and airport?

They are other factors as well:

- Drone could be made of something else
- Drone could hit a weak point on the wing
- Drone could have motion detonated explosives on it - even a small amount would make a mess of a wing
- Drone could get sucked into the engine air intake

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Anyone else wondering whether this Gatwick drone thing is terror related? Nn on 08:51 - Dec 20 with 5158 viewsElderGrizzly

Anyone else wondering whether this Gatwick drone thing is terror related? Nn on 08:46 - Dec 20 by StokieBlue

I think it would entirely depend on the speed the plane was moving at.

Being pulled into the engine would be the bigger worry.

SB

It’s not the engines we worry about weirdly as the top priority, but damage to windscreen and leading edges/wings.

All depends on the size of the drone though of course
Anyone else wondering whether this Gatwick drone thing is terror related? Nn on 08:53 - Dec 20 with 5138 viewsEwan_Oozami

Suck one of those things into a jet engine intake at take-off and that's a disaster right there - it's why airports spend a lot of effort trying to keep birds away - just surprised they haven't yet invested in drone RF detection yet.

Just one small problem; sell their houses to who, Ben? Fcking Aquaman?
Poll: What else could go on top of the cake apart from icing and a cherry?

Anyone else wondering whether this Gatwick drone thing is terror related? Nn on 08:55 - Dec 20 with 5130 viewsElderGrizzly

Anyone else wondering whether this Gatwick drone thing is terror related? Nn on 08:48 - Dec 20 by Burwell_Blue

Yes I disagree wholeheartedly. Other testing shows that they will fall into a million pieces, however one would assume that the turbulence around the aircraft will push the device to one side anyhow.

If the plane flies into it, the turbulence is behind and to the side, not in front.

There is enough evidence to show they are a significant risk and do not shatter into a million pieces. Some cheap, plastic ones might. ‘Professional’ drones will not.

There was a drone strike in the US this week that destroyed the nose of a plane. It’s clearly a danger as all professional pilots agree
Anyone else wondering whether this Gatwick drone thing is terror related? Nn on 08:56 - Dec 20 with 5123 viewsBurwell_Blue

Anyone else wondering whether this Gatwick drone thing is terror related? Nn on 08:50 - Dec 20 by StokieBlue

You are likely correct however how many planes are flying at 600mph at the height of a drone near and airport?

They are other factors as well:

- Drone could be made of something else
- Drone could hit a weak point on the wing
- Drone could have motion detonated explosives on it - even a small amount would make a mess of a wing
- Drone could get sucked into the engine air intake

SB

Of course there is no legislating for a drone packed with explosives but your average Joe, flying a £1000 drone, is not going to do any damage to any aricraft moving due to turbulence moving it 'out of the way'

I don't condone this type of thing at all however, mindless, but I doubt they will be caught.

Drones can bring a lot of enjoyment too. Here is my image of over Portman Road, slightly blurred on that day as I had accidentally switched to manual focus, but you get the idea;

https://viewer.hangar.com/360?productId=MjB1JZYR
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024