Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Anyone else wondering whether this Gatwick drone thing is terror related? Nn 08:02 - Dec 20 with 21898 viewsgiant_stow

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Anyone else wondering whether this Gatwick drone thing is terror related? Nn on 11:54 - Dec 20 with 3287 viewsTIB

I've got a drone for sale...4hrs left...get bidding as the evidence...I mean...the drone needs to go

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Parrot-Bebop-2-FPV-Drone-Case-4-Batteries-Fully-Worki

Poll: How much did you actually think Mick would spend in January?

Anyone else wondering whether this Gatwick drone thing is terror related? Nn on 11:55 - Dec 20 with 3285 viewswkj

That my Christmas parking plans fkd

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to see join us IN THE PREMIER LEAGUE
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Anyone else wondering whether this Gatwick drone thing is terror related? Nn on 11:57 - Dec 20 with 3280 viewsRyorry

Anyone else wondering whether this Gatwick drone thing is terror related? Nn on 11:52 - Dec 20 by Guthrum

It records the (received) GPS location and then adds it to the photos or rebroadcasts as an emergency beacon. To do the latter would require a whole lot more electronics added to the controller, with added complexity from having to encode that information within the radio signal without interfering with its primary function of controlling the drone.

Aha, thanks Guthers, you are indeed the fount of all knowledge!

I'd say, given the potential for disruption, let alone terrorism, drones really should now be requied to have those kinds of sophisticated electronics. They're a leisure/luxury item after all, not a necessity.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Anyone else wondering whether this Gatwick drone thing is terror related? Nn on 12:05 - Dec 20 with 3267 viewscaught-in-limbo

I must admit, I'm fascinated by stories about aeroplanes in the news. They do all sorts of stuff which I had thought would be impossible, but I have to bow to expert knowledge.

Their wings can get smashed by drones, but their wings can also cut through steel - Wiley Coyote though rock style. Sometimes the vaporise on impact with buildings. Other times they make holes in the ground and almost completely disappear. They can even completely disappear from radar and other forms of tracking devices - even the phones of all the passengers on board and the engines themselves become untraceable at times.

I realise the impact properties of something flying into something else often appears to defy logic but in fact, there's a scientific explanation for all of it.

The other day, a man dropped his drone on to the road in a town in Guatemala:

Strange, but true.

#toxic
Poll: BREXIT - Hard, soft, phantom ...

Anyone else wondering whether this Gatwick drone thing is terror related? Nn on 12:10 - Dec 20 with 3254 viewsRyorry

Anyone else wondering whether this Gatwick drone thing is terror related? Nn on 12:05 - Dec 20 by caught-in-limbo

I must admit, I'm fascinated by stories about aeroplanes in the news. They do all sorts of stuff which I had thought would be impossible, but I have to bow to expert knowledge.

Their wings can get smashed by drones, but their wings can also cut through steel - Wiley Coyote though rock style. Sometimes the vaporise on impact with buildings. Other times they make holes in the ground and almost completely disappear. They can even completely disappear from radar and other forms of tracking devices - even the phones of all the passengers on board and the engines themselves become untraceable at times.

I realise the impact properties of something flying into something else often appears to defy logic but in fact, there's a scientific explanation for all of it.

Strange, but true.

"The other day, a man dropped his drone on to the road in a town in Guatemala:
photo
Strange, but true."

Uuum - right! Any explan to go with that pic?!

Anyone else wondering whether this Gatwick drone thing is terror related? Nn on 12:26 - Dec 20 with 3231 viewsSwansea_Blue

Anyone else wondering whether this Gatwick drone thing is terror related? Nn on 12:10 - Dec 20 by Ryorry

"The other day, a man dropped his drone on to the road in a town in Guatemala:
photo
Strange, but true."

Uuum - right! Any explan to go with that pic?!

No. But it starts to line up a 'something is all a bit suspicious about this and it probably means we're not being told the truth by the government and are being deliberately mislead by state-controlled media' theory.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Anyone else wondering whether this Gatwick drone thing is terror related? Nn on 12:37 - Dec 20 with 3210 viewsElderGrizzly

Anyone else wondering whether this Gatwick drone thing is terror related? Nn on 11:14 - Dec 20 by Burwell_Blue

Are you telling me that there is no forward movement of air as a 747 approaches, that is not sufficient to move 750g and channel it over the top of a wing?

Well there wasn’t enough from the A321 which had it’s wingtip cut in half posted earlier

Obviously the 747 is much bigger, but still poses a risk that damage can still be done by a drone or any other object that hits it at speed.
Anyone else wondering whether this Gatwick drone thing is terror related? Nn on 12:38 - Dec 20 with 3206 viewsRyorry

Anyone else wondering whether this Gatwick drone thing is terror related? Nn on 12:26 - Dec 20 by Swansea_Blue

No. But it starts to line up a 'something is all a bit suspicious about this and it probably means we're not being told the truth by the government and are being deliberately mislead by state-controlled media' theory.

Mmm, lends a whole new meaning to "drilling down into the facts" ...

Login to get fewer ads

Anyone else wondering whether this Gatwick drone thing is terror related? Nn on 12:39 - Dec 20 with 3203 viewsStokieBlue

Anyone else wondering whether this Gatwick drone thing is terror related? Nn on 12:05 - Dec 20 by caught-in-limbo

Strange, but true.

Context is everything.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Anyone else wondering whether this Gatwick drone thing is terror related? Nn on 12:45 - Dec 20 with 3189 viewsElderGrizzly

Anyone else wondering whether this Gatwick drone thing is terror related? Nn on 12:39 - Dec 20 by StokieBlue

Context is everything.

SB

Indeed. Facts help too...

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2018/dec/20/how-dangerous-are-drones-to-a
Anyone else wondering whether this Gatwick drone thing is terror related? Nn on 13:05 - Dec 20 with 3161 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Anyone else wondering whether this Gatwick drone thing is terror related? Nn on 12:45 - Dec 20 by ElderGrizzly

Indeed. Facts help too...

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2018/dec/20/how-dangerous-are-drones-to-a

I don’t think it is the drone point CIL is really focusing on...

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Anyone else wondering whether this Gatwick drone thing is terror related? Nn on 13:05 - Dec 20 with 3157 viewsjjblue84

Surely it’s the Russians! Have the BBC blamed Putin yet??
Anyone else wondering whether this Gatwick drone thing is terror related? Nn on 13:06 - Dec 20 with 3153 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Anyone else wondering whether this Gatwick drone thing is terror related? Nn on 09:10 - Dec 20 by Burwell_Blue

That second video is laughable.

That's a stationary wing, with a plastic DJI Phantom flown directly at the weak point. The odds on that actually occurring in the wild are around zero I would think.

Ah that’s ok then, they should risk it, it will probably be fine
[Post edited 20 Dec 2018 13:07]

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Anyone else wondering whether this Gatwick drone thing is terror related? Nn on 13:16 - Dec 20 with 3131 viewsgiant_stow

Anyone else wondering whether this Gatwick drone thing is terror related? Nn on 08:45 - Dec 20 by ElderGrizzly

People I know working at Gatwick.

still certain that its nothing sinister? They seem organised and motivated.... maybe environmental activists? or a grumpy set of locals angry that Gatwick might be reneging on their no 2nd runway promise?

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Anyone else wondering whether this Gatwick drone thing is terror related? Nn on 13:17 - Dec 20 with 3129 viewsClapham_Junction

Anyone else wondering whether this Gatwick drone thing is terror related? Nn on 08:56 - Dec 20 by StokieBlue

Can fully understand structural weak-points being a concern on a pressurised craft but getting one of those in your engine intake is a receipt for a fire - I would think it's much more flammable than a bird and would do more damage to a the turbofans.

Basically they shouldn't be anywhere near an airport. What is the solution though? Some form of micro-missiles that take them out when detected? Very cool but a bit dangerous.

SB

One potential solution is birds of prey trained to take out drones:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/world-europe-35750816/eagles-trained-to-take-down-
Anyone else wondering whether this Gatwick drone thing is terror related? Nn on 13:26 - Dec 20 with 3115 viewsGuthrum

Anyone else wondering whether this Gatwick drone thing is terror related? Nn on 13:05 - Dec 20 by jjblue84

Surely it’s the Russians! Have the BBC blamed Putin yet??

My money (if it isn't some drunk tw@t) is on an environmental activist (non-lethal disruption of air travel), or perhaps a local resident disgruntled about noise.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Anyone else wondering whether this Gatwick drone thing is terror related? Nn on 13:50 - Dec 20 with 3093 viewsGuthrum

Strange, but true.

Indeed there is.

The outer skin of an aeroplane is quite thin, but within the wing is a strong structure, called the main spar, to which the rest of it is bolted. The engines are also very solid as is the undercarriage.

Most of the rest is as flimsy as they can get away with.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Anyone else wondering whether this Gatwick drone thing is terror related? Nn on 13:59 - Dec 20 with 3079 viewsStokieBlue

Anyone else wondering whether this Gatwick drone thing is terror related? Nn on 08:49 - Dec 20 by ElderGrizzly

They’ve been watching it all night. More than one operator apparently and it is having to go down every 30 mins or so to change battery. Only a matter of time before they are caught

They haven't been caught yet.

760 cancelled flights, 110,000 people stranded.

Assuming it's some form of protest when does a "peaceful protest" cross the line? It's been mentioned quite a few times on here lately but surely time to have that discussion. If it's not a protest but just some idiot messing about then they should have the book thrown at them.

SB
[Post edited 20 Dec 2018 14:03]

Anyone else wondering whether this Gatwick drone thing is terror related? Nn on 14:05 - Dec 20 with 3063 viewsRadlett_blue

Anyone else wondering whether this Gatwick drone thing is terror related? Nn on 13:59 - Dec 20 by StokieBlue

Assuming it's some form of protest when does a "peaceful protest" cross the line? It's been mentioned quite a few times on here lately but surely time to have that discussion. If it's not a protest but just some idiot messing about then they should have the book thrown at them.

SB

Agreed, but they need to find the blighters first.
And also find a means of stopping this recurring as I'm sure groups from Fathers For Justice to ISIS will have been watching the chaos with interest.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Anyone else wondering whether this Gatwick drone thing is terror related? Nn on 14:26 - Dec 20 with 3040 viewsSpruceMoose

Anyone else wondering whether this Gatwick drone thing is terror related? Nn on 09:47 - Dec 20 by Burwell_Blue

My drone weighs 750g. If you tell me that a fully ladened 333,400 kg 747 is not going to push that out of the way as it approaches, then I don't what else to say.

Your feelings as a drone owner don't trump reality I'm afraid.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Anyone else wondering whether this Gatwick drone thing is terror related? Nn on 16:15 - Dec 20 with 2960 viewsStokieBlue

Anyone else wondering whether this Gatwick drone thing is terror related? Nn on 13:59 - Dec 20 by StokieBlue

SB

Still ongoing. Military called in now so guess they are going to take some potshots at the drones.

Still no information if it's an "attack", protest or messing about.

SB

Anyone else wondering whether this Gatwick drone thing is terror related? Nn on 16:40 - Dec 20 with 2937 viewseireblue

Anyone else wondering whether this Gatwick drone thing is terror related? Nn on 16:15 - Dec 20 by StokieBlue

Still ongoing. Military called in now so guess they are going to take some potshots at the drones.

SB

Anyone else wondering whether this Gatwick drone thing is terror related? Nn on 17:14 - Dec 20 with 2907 viewsGlasgowBlue

Anyone else wondering whether this Gatwick drone thing is terror related? Nn on 16:15 - Dec 20 by StokieBlue

SB

These people are utter bastards. There are kids missing out on a flight to Lapland.

I hope they catch whoever it is and make them pay back the compensation to all these people.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Anyone else wondering whether this Gatwick drone thing is terror related? Nn on 17:18 - Dec 20 with 2896 viewsStokieBlue

Anyone else wondering whether this Gatwick drone thing is terror related? Nn on 17:14 - Dec 20 by GlasgowBlue

These people are utter bastards. There are kids missing out on a flight to Lapland.

I hope they catch whoever it is and make them pay back the compensation to all these people.

It's even worse, seems some people are being told by their insurers that their is no clause in the cover for drone based delays.

Hopefully they will get shamed into paying out where required but by the letter of the law some people could be really messed up by this.

SB

Anyone else wondering whether this Gatwick drone thing is terror related? Nn on 17:22 - Dec 20 with 2891 viewsDanTheMan

Anyone else wondering whether this Gatwick drone thing is terror related? Nn on 17:18 - Dec 20 by StokieBlue

It's even worse, seems some people are being told by their insurers that their is no clause in the cover for drone based delays.

Hopefully they will get shamed into paying out where required but by the letter of the law some people could be really messed up by this.

SB

That's an utter pisstake by the insurance companies if that's the cop-out they are going to use.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024