Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Surely, reducing ticket prices is the way forward? 08:01 - Jan 13 with 10068 viewschristiand

Attendances like yesterday show the support is there, but a reluctance to pay top dollar appears a major stumbling block. Regardless of what division we are playing in next season, ME seriously needs to address this area. Appreciate some ST holders get frustrated by these tickets promotions, but surely it’s better having a stadium that is two thirds full rather than a sea of empty blue seats?

Poll: Where will we finish this season?
Blog: Full of Optimism and Hope, the League One Kick Off is Finally Here!

Surely, reducing ticket prices is the way forward? on 08:05 - Jan 13 with 5820 viewsBenters2

I make you right.

I guess to be fair they could make the prices the same as it works out a game for the season ticket holders.
Surely, reducing ticket prices is the way forward? on 08:10 - Jan 13 with 5809 viewsTerry_Nutkins

Surely, reducing ticket prices is the way forward? on 08:05 - Jan 13 by Benters2

I make you right.

I guess to be fair they could make the prices the same as it works out a game for the season ticket holders.

You realise this would be commercial suicide and not good for the club?! The promotions are great and well needed right now and hopefully there can be a few more. But you start doing them regularly and as you've said to the same value as a season ticket and that is the end of season ticket sales which are part of the lifeblood of the club.

Poll: Genuine answers please on what you would choose next season!

Surely, reducing ticket prices is the way forward? on 08:11 - Jan 13 with 5811 viewsVaughan8

Lots of posts about this.

They can't do it because of some rule that you cant have more than a certain number of promotions. I'm guessing you have to declare your prices at the start of the season?

Also yesterday was one game. A lot of people chose to go because it was a low price and because it was a vital game. I don't think if you dropped the prices to say £18, you would get 20k+ every home game.
Surely, reducing ticket prices is the way forward? on 08:24 - Jan 13 with 5777 viewsTractorWood

Surely, reducing ticket prices is the way forward? on 08:11 - Jan 13 by Vaughan8

They can't do it because of some rule that you cant have more than a certain number of promotions. I'm guessing you have to declare your prices at the start of the season?

Also yesterday was one game. A lot of people chose to go because it was a low price and because it was a vital game. I don't think if you dropped the prices to say £18, you would get 20k+ every home game.

Agree. The tickets were on sale before the Millwall game when it looked like it could have been a vital game in turning it around. Whatever league we are in next year Evans needs to sort out ticket prices for STs and match day.

I used the silver card early to get tickets in block X, a season ticket there is £745. Shambles.

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

Surely, reducing ticket prices is the way forward? on 08:31 - Jan 13 with 5736 viewsBenters2

Surely, reducing ticket prices is the way forward? on 08:10 - Jan 13 by Terry_Nutkins

You realise this would be commercial suicide and not good for the club?! The promotions are great and well needed right now and hopefully there can be a few more. But you start doing them regularly and as you've said to the same value as a season ticket and that is the end of season ticket sales which are part of the lifeblood of the club.

Lets say the average season ticket (early bird and all that bolox) works out at £18 per game,why not charge that?
Surely, reducing ticket prices is the way forward? on 08:33 - Jan 13 with 5723 viewschristiand

Surely, reducing ticket prices is the way forward? on 08:24 - Jan 13 by TractorWood

Agree. The tickets were on sale before the Millwall game when it looked like it could have been a vital game in turning it around. Whatever league we are in next year Evans needs to sort out ticket prices for STs and match day.

I used the silver card early to get tickets in block X, a season ticket there is £745. Shambles.

The price for the product is just not compatible. With his business acumen, ME should be able to recognise it? Make the club an attractive option, one that our fans want and can afford to go to. It's been a failing for too long.

Surely, reducing ticket prices is the way forward? on 08:39 - Jan 13 with 5697 viewsJack27

Surely, reducing ticket prices is the way forward? on 08:10 - Jan 13 by Terry_Nutkins

The season ticket prices are the problem because they then dictate what the match day prices can be. The OP is right that tickets prices should be lower and it's not a coincidence that when ticket prices are lower attendances are higher. The support is there...but outside of the 10,000 season-ticket holders the non-diehard fans won't pay the £25+ for tickets. The answer seems clear, reduce the cost of a season ticket next season to make the average price per game £12-£15 and then set match day tickets a few pounds higher. The club won't be worse off it's just a change in direction.
Surely, reducing ticket prices is the way forward? on 08:43 - Jan 13 with 5678 viewschristiand

Surely, reducing ticket prices is the way forward? on 08:39 - Jan 13 by Jack27

The season ticket prices are the problem because they then dictate what the match day prices can be. The OP is right that tickets prices should be lower and it's not a coincidence that when ticket prices are lower attendances are higher. The support is there...but outside of the 10,000 season-ticket holders the non-diehard fans won't pay the £25+ for tickets. The answer seems clear, reduce the cost of a season ticket next season to make the average price per game £12-£15 and then set match day tickets a few pounds higher. The club won't be worse off it's just a change in direction.

Agree with your post Jack. Also, it's the the knock on effect of getting more supporters through the door in selling merchandise, programmes, refreshments etc... Surely, it's worth a try? As a player, I bet they much prefer playing in front of crowds like yesterday than 16,000 empty seats?
[Post edited 13 Jan 2019 8:50]

Login to get fewer ads

Surely, reducing ticket prices is the way forward? on 08:45 - Jan 13 with 5668 viewsbluefunk

So let me see if I’ve understood you here, reduce the ticket prices for everyone by between 50 and 60% and we’ll get a 35% uplift in attendances. And the club won’t be worse off????

While I agree with th Epping that prices are way too high, this isn’t a simple equation. Season ticket income allows for longer term planning, reducing that by any significant extent merely makes the annual shortfall even greater.
Surely, reducing ticket prices is the way forward? on 08:48 - Jan 13 with 5659 viewsKeaneish

There's a tipping point in there somewhere though. It doesn't have to be £12. Even at £15 or £16 we'd still see a major influx of people. What's the average match day price? £27.50, £30? There has to be a balance between getting gates of 20 - 24k in cheaper than 15 - 16k in at a higher price.

I had to queue to get in yesterday and it actually felt good knowing the ground was going to have good presence for a change. Too long has it been half full. Two thirds full makes a big difference and we need that noise with some big home games coming up between now and May. Is it more prudent for Evans to invest this way than in big transfer fees?

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

Surely, reducing ticket prices is the way forward? on 08:49 - Jan 13 with 5650 viewsBenters2

Well said.
Surely, reducing ticket prices is the way forward? on 08:55 - Jan 13 with 5625 viewsOxford_Blue

Problem is the the club still loses money.

There are 10,000 season ticket holders so let’s take them out.

Then the comparison (in very broad terms) is between 10,000 paying £12 = £120,000

and

5,000 paying £35 = £175,000
Surely, reducing ticket prices is the way forward? on 09:04 - Jan 13 with 5584 viewsTractorWood

Surely, reducing ticket prices is the way forward? on 08:55 - Jan 13 by Oxford_Blue

Problem is the the club still loses money.

There are 10,000 season ticket holders so let’s take them out.

Then the comparison (in very broad terms) is between 10,000 paying £12 = £120,000

and

5,000 paying £35 = £175,000

That's not quite right though. Prices are £25 for the lower North where a lot of the ad-hoc sales go. £30 is basically the max bar some farcical sections no one ever pays full price for. Then you've got concessions, which are a big factor as we've got lots of fans from the 70's and 80's who are now 65+.

It's more like 10,000 @ £10 = £100,000

Or 5,000 @ £19 = £95,000

To me it's negligible.

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

Surely, reducing ticket prices is the way forward? on 09:06 - Jan 13 with 5577 viewsBlacknGoldnBlue

Surely, reducing ticket prices is the way forward? on 08:49 - Jan 13 by Benters2

Well said.

I attended yesterday with Mrs BGB and our two kids (their first Time) - it cost £30.
If we want the same seats for Sheffield game it will cost £76!
Kids loved it but can't afford to take them again.

Poll: Will Ipswich be relegated this season?

Surely, reducing ticket prices is the way forward? on 09:07 - Jan 13 with 5565 viewsOxford_Blue

Surely, reducing ticket prices is the way forward? on 09:04 - Jan 13 by TractorWood

That's not quite right though. Prices are £25 for the lower North where a lot of the ad-hoc sales go. £30 is basically the max bar some farcical sections no one ever pays full price for. Then you've got concessions, which are a big factor as we've got lots of fans from the 70's and 80's who are now 65+.

It's more like 10,000 @ £10 = £100,000

Or 5,000 @ £19 = £95,000

To me it's negligible.

The lower north holds about 3,000 and is rarely full.

The top tiers of the two side stands are £30+.

But let’s assune you’re right - think about the impact on season tickets.

Why pay £300-500 if you can pay £12 a match?
Surely, reducing ticket prices is the way forward? on 09:09 - Jan 13 with 5553 viewsgrimboy

I’m all for that but surely the club has to give something back to the loyal fans who bought season tickets at the beginning/last of the season maybe a decent reduction next season which could well happen in league one.
Surely, reducing ticket prices is the way forward? on 09:10 - Jan 13 with 5550 viewsJack27

Surely, reducing ticket prices is the way forward? on 08:45 - Jan 13 by bluefunk

So let me see if I’ve understood you here, reduce the ticket prices for everyone by between 50 and 60% and we’ll get a 35% uplift in attendances. And the club won’t be worse off????

While I agree with th Epping that prices are way too high, this isn’t a simple equation. Season ticket income allows for longer term planning, reducing that by any significant extent merely makes the annual shortfall even greater.

What if season ticket revenue was higher because there was a higher uptake due to lower prices?
Surely, reducing ticket prices is the way forward? on 09:12 - Jan 13 with 5537 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Surely, reducing ticket prices is the way forward? on 09:09 - Jan 13 by grimboy

I’m all for that but surely the club has to give something back to the loyal fans who bought season tickets at the beginning/last of the season maybe a decent reduction next season which could well happen in league one.

So long as match day prices don't under cut the season ticket holders, there shouldn't be an issue.

Getting fans in the stadium and creating a good atmosphere is the most important thing, bar none.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Surely, reducing ticket prices is the way forward? on 09:14 - Jan 13 with 5523 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Surely, reducing ticket prices is the way forward? on 08:11 - Jan 13 by Vaughan8

What's the penalty for ignoring the rules?

If it's a fine, then I'd be inclined to ignore it!!

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Surely, reducing ticket prices is the way forward? on 09:16 - Jan 13 with 5523 viewsGuthrum

There are other elements to yesterday as well: A very important match, possibility of a win, under a popular manager and the first chance to see what is effectively a new team.

Constant lower prices carry their own set of issues. It reduces income for the club, having an impact on FFP - which still exists, albeit in a slightly different form, but is actually being enforced. Also requires to be subsidised from elsewhere (i.e. the owner). If ticket prices are halved, the club would need to double the non-ST attendance to break even.

Season ticket prices would have to be dropped as well, otherwise there's no point in having one. Thus leaving a shortfall (or need for considerably increased numbers) there, too.

In any case, since the drop to £25/£30 with no matchday increase, our prices have been pretty much in line with most others at this level. Or, indeed, the price of going to a medium-sized local gig/show. Buying a round for a few mates in the pub doesn't come to much less than that (more, if in London).

Until the overall financial situation of football is addressed, there is a floor below which prices cannot easily go and still remain viable.
[Post edited 13 Jan 2019 9:18]

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Surely, reducing ticket prices is the way forward? on 09:18 - Jan 13 with 5506 viewshomer_123

No.

The reason people don't attend is down to three things.

1. We don't win
2. The football hasn't been very easy on the eye
3. There are many other things people can therefore do with their time instead

Reducing ticket prices has little bearing in the long term on attendances. Basically if results stay poor and the quality of the football remain dire, people will stop coming regardless of price, except a hard core group of supporters.

Winning games and playing some decent football will see many more casual fans attend more frequently and, in turn, convert to regulars and season ticket holders.

For all the talk of the club feeling distant, Evans not communicating etc. I assure you those points would be moot had we been promoted or re challenging for promotion in this division,

Finally, even though these were 20k there today, the amount earned on secondary items is still negligible.
[Post edited 13 Jan 2019 9:28]

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Surely, reducing ticket prices is the way forward? on 09:18 - Jan 13 with 5493 viewsTerry_Nutkins

Surely, reducing ticket prices is the way forward? on 08:31 - Jan 13 by Benters2

Lets say the average season ticket (early bird and all that bolox) works out at £18 per game,why not charge that?

Because you then don't get up front cash in the form of season tickets. If you are offering the opportunity to get the same price on the day and pick and choose then why by a season ticket. You have to reward and discount for season tickets.

Not to say a review of pricing is not in order. They must do some analysis to work out price vs numbers. Would obviously be good to have more in the building even at a small reduction of profit maybe. It is very complex and difficult to get the balance right.

Poll: Genuine answers please on what you would choose next season!

Surely, reducing ticket prices is the way forward? on 09:19 - Jan 13 with 5491 viewsHerbivore

Surely, reducing ticket prices is the way forward? on 08:31 - Jan 13 by Benters2

Because then nobody would buy a season ticket.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Surely, reducing ticket prices is the way forward? on 09:20 - Jan 13 with 5492 viewstractorboy7777

Surely, reducing ticket prices is the way forward? on 09:16 - Jan 13 by Guthrum

There are other elements to yesterday as well: A very important match, possibility of a win, under a popular manager and the first chance to see what is effectively a new team.

Constant lower prices carry their own set of issues. It reduces income for the club, having an impact on FFP - which still exists, albeit in a slightly different form, but is actually being enforced. Also requires to be subsidised from elsewhere (i.e. the owner). If ticket prices are halved, the club would need to double the non-ST attendance to break even.

Season ticket prices would have to be dropped as well, otherwise there's no point in having one. Thus leaving a shortfall (or need for considerably increased numbers) there, too.

In any case, since the drop to £25/£30 with no matchday increase, our prices have been pretty much in line with most others at this level. Or, indeed, the price of going to a medium-sized local gig/show. Buying a round for a few mates in the pub doesn't come to much less than that (more, if in London).

Until the overall financial situation of football is addressed, there is a floor below which prices cannot easily go and still remain viable.
[Post edited 13 Jan 2019 9:18]

It’s not just ticket prices that need to be considered. If the extra 10,000 paid on average £3 a game, whether that’s a programme, food, drink or merchandise, that’s another £30,000

Poll: If ticket prices were the same in SBR upper and lower, where would you choose?

Surely, reducing ticket prices is the way forward? on 09:23 - Jan 13 with 5471 viewshomer_123

Surely, reducing ticket prices is the way forward? on 09:20 - Jan 13 by tractorboy7777

It’s not just ticket prices that need to be considered. If the extra 10,000 paid on average £3 a game, whether that’s a programme, food, drink or merchandise, that’s another £30,000

Not being funny but £30k.....and people want us to invest £5m or £10m on players.

People want reduced ticket prices but increased investment from the owner........hmmm

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024