Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Ministers considering a 2nd referendum 20:47 - Jan 19 with 24886 viewsElderGrizzly

Go on Vince!

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/jan/19/ministers-second-brexit-referen
Ministers considering a 2nd referendum on 00:43 - Jan 20 with 3510 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Ministers considering a 2nd referendum on 00:37 - Jan 20 by pointofblue

As much as I wouldn’t want the vote to go that way, if you’re handing the Brexit conundrum back to the public then No Deal has to be an option on the vote. One argument behind a second referendum is those who voted for Brexit didn’t know what they were voting for - what if they want to leave but don’t agree with the Prime Minister’s deal, or have confidence that No Deal will not be as bad as some are saying?

I think you are right and I suspect that might be what we end up with as the options.

However, the people in power recognise how disastrous no deal would be and are, generally, fairly determined to remove it as an option.

If we were to go back with that set of options as a two-part question, I suspect we would probably end up leaving on May's deal. Time will tell.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Ministers considering a 2nd referendum on 00:43 - Jan 20 with 3509 viewsChampionship

Ministers considering a 2nd referendum on 00:41 - Jan 20 by wkj

Mate, Crazy couldn't stop firing out the reds, he was waving thse thing round like a glowstick.

I'm too scared to go in there in case I get sent off and i'm suspended for a key game.
Ministers considering a 2nd referendum on 00:44 - Jan 20 with 3500 viewsSpruceMoose

Ministers considering a 2nd referendum on 00:43 - Jan 20 by Championship

I'm too scared to go in there in case I get sent off and i'm suspended for a key game.

Are you one of the good guys? I think so... But you could be in disguise

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Ministers considering a 2nd referendum on 00:45 - Jan 20 with 3489 viewsChampionship

Ministers considering a 2nd referendum on 00:44 - Jan 20 by SpruceMoose

Are you one of the good guys? I think so... But you could be in disguise

Good guys?
Ministers considering a 2nd referendum on 00:46 - Jan 20 with 3480 viewsSpruceMoose

Ministers considering a 2nd referendum on 00:45 - Jan 20 by Championship

Good guys?

Yeah! One of the decent ones, fighting the good fight on here! Like me! And sometimes wkj. He's a bit more Loki to my Thor.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."

Ministers considering a 2nd referendum on 00:47 - Jan 20 with 3472 viewsChampionship

Ministers considering a 2nd referendum on 00:46 - Jan 20 by SpruceMoose

Yeah! One of the decent ones, fighting the good fight on here! Like me! And sometimes wkj. He's a bit more Loki to my Thor.

I'm completely lost. In disguise?
Ministers considering a 2nd referendum on 00:49 - Jan 20 with 3466 viewsSpruceMoose

Ministers considering a 2nd referendum on 00:47 - Jan 20 by Championship

I'm completely lost. In disguise?

Nevermind!

Ministers considering a 2nd referendum on 00:53 - Jan 20 with 3449 viewspointofblue

Ministers considering a 2nd referendum on 00:43 - Jan 20 by Nthsuffolkblue

I think you are right and I suspect that might be what we end up with as the options.

However, the people in power recognise how disastrous no deal would be and are, generally, fairly determined to remove it as an option.

If we were to go back with that set of options as a two-part question, I suspect we would probably end up leaving on May's deal. Time will tell.

I think removing No Deal as an option would be a disaster for democracy in this country if we did have a referendum. Having Remain on the ballot would be deemed controversial enough considering the result of the 2016 referendum though I think it should be on there as an option. But to have the majority narrowly vote for Brexit then remove one of the Brexit options would be seen by many as a betrayal.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Login to get fewer ads

Ministers considering a 2nd referendum on 00:54 - Jan 20 with 3442 viewsChampionship

Ministers considering a 2nd referendum on 00:49 - Jan 20 by SpruceMoose

Nevermind!

Help me out here wkj
Ministers considering a 2nd referendum on 00:56 - Jan 20 with 3438 viewswkj

Ministers considering a 2nd referendum on 00:54 - Jan 20 by Championship

Help me out here wkj

I cant, government shutdown, The Department of Spruce Affairs is not currently in commission

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Ministers considering a 2nd referendum on 00:57 - Jan 20 with 3434 viewsChampionship

Ministers considering a 2nd referendum on 00:56 - Jan 20 by wkj

I cant, government shutdown, The Department of Spruce Affairs is not currently in commission

Balls.
Ministers considering a 2nd referendum on 10:48 - Jan 20 with 3297 viewsBlueBadger

Ministers considering a 2nd referendum on 23:22 - Jan 19 by Lord_Lucan

I actually think "Leave" would win by a higher margin in a 2nd referendum.

In all fairness, government changes to education means that critical thinking skill ARE taught less now, so obvious lies can get slipped through easier.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Ministers considering a 2nd referendum on 11:04 - Jan 20 with 3281 viewsHerbivore

Ministers considering a 2nd referendum on 00:37 - Jan 20 by pointofblue

As much as I wouldn’t want the vote to go that way, if you’re handing the Brexit conundrum back to the public then No Deal has to be an option on the vote. One argument behind a second referendum is those who voted for Brexit didn’t know what they were voting for - what if they want to leave but don’t agree with the Prime Minister’s deal, or have confidence that No Deal will not be as bad as some are saying?

Having no deal on there would be a dereliction of duty given how it would impact on business, the economy and the border issue in Northern Ireland. It needs to be a straight deal or remain.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Ministers considering a 2nd referendum on 11:09 - Jan 20 with 3275 viewspointofblue

Ministers considering a 2nd referendum on 11:04 - Jan 20 by Herbivore

Having no deal on there would be a dereliction of duty given how it would impact on business, the economy and the border issue in Northern Ireland. It needs to be a straight deal or remain.

The can of worms has been opened and there’s no going back - taking No Deal off the table and leaving Remain as an option would lead to protests which would make the Yellow Vests in France look like small fry. It’s probably why May is desperately trying to avoid a refendum; she’d be unable to take No Deal away as an option and it might win. This is part of compromise which Remainers who are calling for a referendum need to see - it may go their way but there is an awful possibility it may backfire spectacularly.

Ministers considering a 2nd referendum on 11:13 - Jan 20 with 3271 viewsHerbivore

Ministers considering a 2nd referendum on 11:09 - Jan 20 by pointofblue

The can of worms has been opened and there’s no going back - taking No Deal off the table and leaving Remain as an option would lead to protests which would make the Yellow Vests in France look like small fry. It’s probably why May is desperately trying to avoid a refendum; she’d be unable to take No Deal away as an option and it might win. This is part of compromise which Remainers who are calling for a referendum need to see - it may go their way but there is an awful possibility it may backfire spectacularly.

The government created this mess, they need to deal with it. Sure some people will be upset that they can't vote for a pipe dream but tough sh¡t, quite frankly. It's not a viable option and shouldn't be offered as though it is.

Ministers considering a 2nd referendum on 11:16 - Jan 20 with 3269 viewsLord_Lucan

Ministers considering a 2nd referendum on 23:43 - Jan 19 by Nthsuffolkblue

You, Grimboy and Judge Pickles have no fear of a second referendum then? Or is asking democratically for clarification that this deal is what people wanted when they voted leave "the death of democracy" or "in opposition to the most democratic act ever in history" or whatever the line is?
[Post edited 19 Jan 2019 23:57]

I voted to remain, it's just a personal opinion that leave would win again.

Personally, if there was a second referendum I wouldn't vote - and I would never vote for anything or anyone again.

The original question was in or out, I can't see how it could be any simpler.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Ministers considering a 2nd referendum on 11:28 - Jan 20 with 3252 viewsDarth_Koont

Ministers considering a 2nd referendum on 11:16 - Jan 20 by Lord_Lucan

Personally, if there was a second referendum I wouldn't vote - and I would never vote for anything or anyone again.

You're right about the original question being a simple one. Also that it was advisory rather than a decision in law. Added to that there is no type of In or Out specified in there.

Since then we have had people telling us that it must mean this or must mean that. Even now 3 years down the road.

I've no problem with a second referendum based on the facts and the reality of the past several years. Maybe we also make this one more specific in terms of what we're voting for as well.

Pronouns: He/Him

Ministers considering a 2nd referendum on 11:53 - Jan 20 with 3228 viewsm14_blue

Ministers considering a 2nd referendum on 11:16 - Jan 20 by Lord_Lucan

Oh don’t be such a drama queen.

Personally I don’t want a second referendum, we should just get on with making the best of a bad job, either with a Norway option or May’s deal.

However, if there’s one thing the last 2 years have shown it’s that nothing about this is simple.
Ministers considering a 2nd referendum on 12:02 - Jan 20 with 3220 viewspointofblue

Ministers considering a 2nd referendum on 11:13 - Jan 20 by Herbivore

The government created this mess, they need to deal with it. Sure some people will be upset that they can't vote for a pipe dream but tough sh¡t, quite frankly. It's not a viable option and shouldn't be offered as though it is.

This isn’t just the Government though; the whole political class is now involved in this. Will any of them ever be trusted again if they take No Deal off the table? At this rate we’ll have Nigel Farage as Prime Minister as, to many, he is at least willing to deliver the will of the people.

Ministers considering a 2nd referendum on 12:05 - Jan 20 with 3216 viewsHerbivore

Ministers considering a 2nd referendum on 12:02 - Jan 20 by pointofblue

This isn’t just the Government though; the whole political class is now involved in this. Will any of them ever be trusted again if they take No Deal off the table? At this rate we’ll have Nigel Farage as Prime Minister as, to many, he is at least willing to deliver the will of the people.

Those that want no deal and would vote for Farage are a minority. Let's not overstate it. The leave campaign lied through their teeth to win a narrow victory first time out, tryst in the political system has already been destroyed. Time to do the right thing for a change instead of pandering to populism.

Ministers considering a 2nd referendum on 12:17 - Jan 20 with 3196 viewsLord_Lucan

Ministers considering a 2nd referendum on 12:02 - Jan 20 by pointofblue

The problem with taking no deal off the table is that you immediately take away the biggest thing that the EU is worried about. In effect you are throwing your cards in.

Some people live with the fairys.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Ministers considering a 2nd referendum on 12:22 - Jan 20 with 3179 viewsHerbivore

Ministers considering a 2nd referendum on 12:17 - Jan 20 by Lord_Lucan

The problem with taking no deal off the table is that you immediately take away the biggest thing that the EU is worried about. In effect you are throwing your cards in.

Says the man who described the Brexit referendum as 'simple'.

Ministers considering a 2nd referendum on 12:22 - Jan 20 with 3178 viewsjeera

Ministers considering a 2nd referendum on 12:17 - Jan 20 by Lord_Lucan

Recent noises from the EU council* have included an offer to look at reform and to make an open an invitation to the UK to stay in.

In that respect surely there's no better time to push for further negotiations on the premise that we could be swayed if the deal was right.

*Council/commission/parliament. I get lost with who's who. Does everything really need to be so complicated?

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Ministers considering a 2nd referendum on 12:34 - Jan 20 with 3157 viewspointofblue

Ministers considering a 2nd referendum on 12:05 - Jan 20 by Herbivore

Those that want no deal and would vote for Farage are a minority. Let's not overstate it. The leave campaign lied through their teeth to win a narrow victory first time out, tryst in the political system has already been destroyed. Time to do the right thing for a change instead of pandering to populism.

Then there’s no harm in having it on the ballot paper, if it’s only the minority who will vote for it anyway?

Ministers considering a 2nd referendum on 12:36 - Jan 20 with 3152 viewsChampionship

Ministers considering a 2nd referendum on 12:05 - Jan 20 by Herbivore

No deal has to be on the ballot. It has no chance of winning so why not go through the motions?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024