Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
I want to believe every word of Evans' interview 17:52 - Jan 23 with 2995 viewsMullet

But I don't.

When he shoehorned in Sir Bobby's name like that it felt like a guilt trip and a rather cheap tactic. I know he can never be "one of us" and that was a fairly clear attempt to talk to us at eye-level but it stuck in my throat.

There's no mention of promotion (from any league) and there's a sense of "careful what you wish for" isn't there?

I completely accept his position and do agree with parts of it, but the idea this isn't his fault or that if "it nearly worked under Mick" why get rid? Surely that means he doesn't believe in doing what's right for the club above all else? Otherwise he'd have done like the Cobbolds' and Sir Bobby non?

Speaking out is a good thing, but t's everything he doesn't say which worries me most. Whatever his faults, I don't believe Evans wishes us ill, it just feels like the the club is a budget sports car he can't shift on the other side of a midlife crisis.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

I want to believe every word of Evans' interview on 18:34 - Jan 23 with 2347 viewsMoriarty

I understand ME and indeed his family genuinely like the club. I think his position is reasonable. In night club totty hunting terms, we’re a 2 at 10. Better than a 10 at 2. But we’re down the pecking order.

I can understand his reluctance to invest heavily. It’s a huge gamble. Consequences for him and club.

I don’t see how we survive this season. But the party ain’t over yet. Our squad is a shambles. A patchwork quilt to fight till May. Whatever league we’re in, it’s a massive rebuild. Again.

I’m inclined to trust the chemistry between Lambert and Evans, without being a devotee of either.
[Post edited 23 Jan 2019 19:03]

fka omuircheartaigh

I want to believe every word of Evans' interview on 18:36 - Jan 23 with 2331 viewswkj

I don't either, as I have hinted at in the past, I will only take what he says to heart if it is on the back of a long-term triumph. Just more bland and toothless damage limitation before he announces an amazing price-freeze on season tickets next year when we're in League One.

I wonder what the quirky catchphrase will be #MoreCupGames

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

I want to believe every word of Evans' interview on 18:43 - Jan 23 with 2303 viewschristiand

'Continue to invest at a level to keep us competitive,' which sticks in my craw. I interpret this as enough for us to survive as a professional football club?! Just all too convenient. No ambition or drive from our leader, but that's been evident for a while. I just hope the appointment of PL will be the kick up the ar*e ME needs, as I get the impression PL still has that burning desire to be successful and that will require investment on 'quality' footballers that will make a difference regardless of the league we are in next season.
[Post edited 23 Jan 2019 18:45]

Poll: Where will we finish this season?
Blog: Full of Optimism and Hope, the League One Kick Off is Finally Here!

I want to believe every word of Evans' interview on 21:04 - Jan 23 with 2131 viewsBluefish

Still no one has been able to give anything tangible that he has to do differently. He is an owner and he gives managers time and props up the finances. What more should we expect?

It is just utter cliches when it comes to what people want from him.

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

I want to believe every word of Evans' interview on 21:06 - Jan 23 with 2119 viewsMullet

I want to believe every word of Evans' interview on 21:04 - Jan 23 by Bluefish

Still no one has been able to give anything tangible that he has to do differently. He is an owner and he gives managers time and props up the finances. What more should we expect?

I thought I did regarding SBR and the Cobbolds to be fair.

There are many small things he could and should have done. As well as changes going forward. As ever, I don't subscribe to simply demanding he empty the money in and assume it'll work.

However, what he says and what he does never line up for me.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

I want to believe every word of Evans' interview on 21:08 - Jan 23 with 2116 viewsBluefish

I want to believe every word of Evans' interview on 21:06 - Jan 23 by Mullet

I thought I did regarding SBR and the Cobbolds to be fair.

There are many small things he could and should have done. As well as changes going forward. As ever, I don't subscribe to simply demanding he empty the money in and assume it'll work.

However, what he says and what he does never line up for me.

You want him to throw parties and get pissed?

I want to believe every word of Evans' interview on 21:09 - Jan 23 with 2115 viewsHarry_Palmer

I want to believe every word of Evans' interview on 18:43 - Jan 23 by christiand

'Continue to invest at a level to keep us competitive,' which sticks in my craw. I interpret this as enough for us to survive as a professional football club?! Just all too convenient. No ambition or drive from our leader, but that's been evident for a while. I just hope the appointment of PL will be the kick up the ar*e ME needs, as I get the impression PL still has that burning desire to be successful and that will require investment on 'quality' footballers that will make a difference regardless of the league we are in next season.
[Post edited 23 Jan 2019 18:45]

Personally I think people are a bit too fixated on budget and investment, for me getting an identity and philosophy throughout the club and recruitment to reflect that are equally as important.

I hate to say it but our friends up the road have proved that you don't have to spend big in this league to be successful, what you do need is an effective scouting network and to recruit wisely.
I want to believe every word of Evans' interview on 07:08 - Jan 24 with 1910 viewschristiand

I want to believe every word of Evans' interview on 21:09 - Jan 23 by Harry_Palmer

Personally I think people are a bit too fixated on budget and investment, for me getting an identity and philosophy throughout the club and recruitment to reflect that are equally as important.

I hate to say it but our friends up the road have proved that you don't have to spend big in this league to be successful, what you do need is an effective scouting network and to recruit wisely.

They're a better run club than us from top to bottom, although a couple of promotions to the EPL and the parachute payments help enormously.

Poll: Where will we finish this season?
Blog: Full of Optimism and Hope, the League One Kick Off is Finally Here!

Login to get fewer ads

I want to believe every word of Evans' interview on 10:07 - Jan 24 with 1798 viewsCoco

I want to believe every word of Evans' interview on 07:08 - Jan 24 by christiand

They're a better run club than us from top to bottom, although a couple of promotions to the EPL and the parachute payments help enormously.

I don’t agree with that. They’ve got lucky on a few occasions. They made horrendous choices which saw them slip to L1 then they fluked upon Lambert. They were on the verge of melt down just last summer but lucked out with Morrison and an inflated market. They’ve been a lucky victim of circumstances whilst we’ve been the opposite.

Also don’t agree with the mocking of Evans quoting Sir Bobby. The guy can’t win. Evans is clearly a decent guy but has made some poor choices but has also been desperately unlucky in a genuine attempt to do the right thing for the football club.

#SellUpMarcusEvans #LambertOUT // Sent from my iphone - which explains all the felling spuck ups
Poll: When we're finally freed from Mick McCarthy would you like to see Burley as DoF?

I want to believe every word of Evans' interview on 10:13 - Jan 24 with 1777 viewsSomethingBlue

I want to believe every word of Evans' interview on 10:07 - Jan 24 by Coco

I don’t agree with that. They’ve got lucky on a few occasions. They made horrendous choices which saw them slip to L1 then they fluked upon Lambert. They were on the verge of melt down just last summer but lucked out with Morrison and an inflated market. They’ve been a lucky victim of circumstances whilst we’ve been the opposite.

Also don’t agree with the mocking of Evans quoting Sir Bobby. The guy can’t win. Evans is clearly a decent guy but has made some poor choices but has also been desperately unlucky in a genuine attempt to do the right thing for the football club.

They've had the breaks and we haven't, definitely, but you'd expect that when one club has been successful and another club has not. The fact is that they've had a vastly better football structure than us for the past decade and will continue to reap rich benefits.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

I want to believe every word of Evans' interview on 10:19 - Jan 24 with 1764 viewsBluefish

I want to believe every word of Evans' interview on 10:13 - Jan 24 by SomethingBlue

They've had the breaks and we haven't, definitely, but you'd expect that when one club has been successful and another club has not. The fact is that they've had a vastly better football structure than us for the past decade and will continue to reap rich benefits.

There are fine margins in football. We could be telling a completely different story if the Berra handball was at the other end.

If Bournemouth hadn't gone up with their spending where would they be now?

If Forest or Sheffield Wednesday had gone up would we say they are perfectly run?

Always fine margins, if norwich hadn't clicked this season they would be a mess next season. It is silly to praise them when they have players on loan elsewhere on huge money that have never performed well for them. All clubs get some right and all get some wrong. They have done well to bring the Murphys through and Maddison was a huge signing for them, they also have Lewis and Aarons to keep them going. We brought through Dozzell and Bishop and missed them both through terrible injuries, we had Huws as our main playmaker and he had the same. Football has a lot of luck involved.

I want to believe every word of Evans' interview on 10:19 - Jan 24 with 1763 viewsSwansea_Blue

I want to believe every word of Evans' interview on 21:09 - Jan 23 by Harry_Palmer

Yep. It's about being able to make the right footballing decisions. Poor old Marcus seems to get things wrong on a regular basis. I genuinely feel for him, as he seems like a nice guy with his heart in the right place, but keeps throwing his money down the drain, or not throwing it at all during the tenure of his 1 successful manager (who was actually recommended by PJ).

So he either needs to improve his judgement, which is unlikely to happen as it's a very innate and nebulous trait. Or change the governance structures so that there are people in place who can drive the vision, strategy and plans to improve us. That may be happening with the recent changes he's made, but I still get the impression that the manager has the final say in everything bar signing off on finances. If that manager was Brian Clough (and he also had the say on finances), that may work. But it's not a common position to be in these days - it's asking for trouble when managers are changed regularly.

Oh, and he could probably do with not listening to Harry and Pleat as much (Pleat is his other confidant isn't he, or did I just make that up?).

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

I want to believe every word of Evans' interview on 10:19 - Jan 24 with 1762 viewschicoazul

That's *exactly* what I thought about the SBR mention.

"Hmmm how can I get these dickheads on side early oh wait I know"

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

I want to believe every word of Evans' interview on 10:24 - Jan 24 with 1751 viewschicoazul

I want to believe every word of Evans' interview on 21:04 - Jan 23 by Bluefish

You make fair points as usual.
Just off the top of my head if Evans intends to remain here is what I want him to do, not his minions or Lambert, but him; connect with the fans. Attend meetings such as the AGM and answer questions in person. Tart up the stadium a bit which could be done with minimal outlay. Improve the match day experience with minimal outlay for e.g. few more people in the shops, cashless payments. Pay out like Lambert did now and then or even all the time for away fans on official coaches, again minimal outlay.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!

I want to believe every word of Evans' interview on 10:27 - Jan 24 with 1744 viewschicoazul

I want to believe every word of Evans' interview on 10:19 - Jan 24 by Bluefish

There are fine margins in football. We could be telling a completely different story if the Berra handball was at the other end.

If Forest or Sheffield Wednesday had gone up would we say they are perfectly run?

Always fine margins, if norwich hadn't clicked this season they would be a mess next season. It is silly to praise them when they have players on loan elsewhere on huge money that have never performed well for them. All clubs get some right and all get some wrong. They have done well to bring the Murphys through and Maddison was a huge signing for them, they also have Lewis and Aarons to keep them going. We brought through Dozzell and Bishop and missed them both through terrible injuries, we had Huws as our main playmaker and he had the same. Football has a lot of luck involved.

It seems to me to be fair to reply to this by questioning how Dozzell and especially Bishop (and Hyam) were rehabbed, and it also seems unfair to expect to buy a player with Huws' injury record and have him play anything like 50% of our games. These problems may indeed be due to the "football structure" as Thingers called it.

I want to believe every word of Evans' interview on 10:27 - Jan 24 with 1744 viewsBluefish

I want to believe every word of Evans' interview on 10:24 - Jan 24 by chicoazul

You make fair points as usual.
Just off the top of my head if Evans intends to remain here is what I want him to do, not his minions or Lambert, but him; connect with the fans. Attend meetings such as the AGM and answer questions in person. Tart up the stadium a bit which could be done with minimal outlay. Improve the match day experience with minimal outlay for e.g. few more people in the shops, cashless payments. Pay out like Lambert did now and then or even all the time for away fans on official coaches, again minimal outlay.

Nice to haves rather than essentials. They would be welcome but we can't really blame everything on him because the stadium needs a clean and he doesn't fancy a load of halfwits giving him abuse at events.

I want to believe every word of Evans' interview on 10:28 - Jan 24 with 1738 viewschicoazul

I want to believe every word of Evans' interview on 10:27 - Jan 24 by Bluefish

Nice to haves rather than essentials. They would be welcome but we can't really blame everything on him because the stadium needs a clean and he doesn't fancy a load of halfwits giving him abuse at events.

I don't agree that him connecting the club with its fans for eg is a "nice to have" especially when you consider that the only times we have been successful as a club is when this was very much the case, it seems to be essential for us.

I want to believe every word of Evans' interview on 10:28 - Jan 24 with 1739 viewsSomethingBlue

I want to believe every word of Evans' interview on 10:19 - Jan 24 by Bluefish

Lots of ifs and buts, yes.

Unpopular opinion though this might be, I would suggest that in Aarons and Lewis they are reaping the benefits of their Category 1 academy and, among other things, the greater competitive level it facilitates.

I want to believe every word of Evans' interview on 10:32 - Jan 24 with 1722 viewsBluefish

I want to believe every word of Evans' interview on 10:27 - Jan 24 by chicoazul

It seems to me to be fair to reply to this by questioning how Dozzell and especially Bishop (and Hyam) were rehabbed, and it also seems unfair to expect to buy a player with Huws' injury record and have him play anything like 50% of our games. These problems may indeed be due to the "football structure" as Thingers called it.

Lots of wider point though really. Dozzells rehab seemed ok and Bishop seemed to be lots of different problems. Huws is a fair point but he was playing at the time of signing.

Not sure we can blame the rehab in the same way that it was ridiculous to blame the injury problems on micks training. The genius Paul Hurst was supposed to solve all of that straight away.

They have Naismith, Oliveira, Watkins (possibly sold now?) etc out on loan on big wages due to terrible recruitment. This is before we mention the legend than is van wolfwinkel

I want to believe every word of Evans' interview on 10:32 - Jan 24 with 1723 viewsgiant_stow

I want to believe every word of Evans' interview on 10:28 - Jan 24 by SomethingBlue

Unpopular opinion though this might be, I would suggest that in Aarons and Lewis they are reaping the benefits of their Category 1 academy and, among other things, the greater competitive level it facilitates.

I know nothing about footy, but that webber bloke must get some credit too for finding all these cheap Germans. Or at least for deciding to take a chance on them.
[Post edited 24 Jan 2019 10:35]

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

I want to believe every word of Evans' interview on 10:36 - Jan 24 with 1696 viewsBluefish

I want to believe every word of Evans' interview on 10:28 - Jan 24 by SomethingBlue

Not sure that is an unpopular decision really and we have been producing through our academy too. Dozzell being the most obvious but Lankester and Nydam also amongst others. Let's not forget the 4 that have left early to go to top 6 clubs in the prem.

How we stop them going is another debate but norwich and their cat 1 don't seem to able to stop it either

I want to believe every word of Evans' interview on 10:38 - Jan 24 with 1687 viewsPhilTWTD

Perhaps, but it is worth noting that they completely overhauled their academy a year or so ago as it wasn't up to scratch. The odd young player can come through even when the overall system isn't working particularly well.

I can't say I know too much about how their academy is progressing since the changes but I did see they lost 3-0 in the Youth Cup to Cat Two Preston the other night.
I want to believe every word of Evans' interview on 10:39 - Jan 24 with 1676 viewsBluefish

I want to believe every word of Evans' interview on 10:28 - Jan 24 by chicoazul

I don't agree that him connecting the club with its fans for eg is a "nice to have" especially when you consider that the only times we have been successful as a club is when this was very much the case, it seems to be essential for us.

You can't compare that world to now. A couple of bumbling toffs (legends that they were) wouldn't walk into a club these days and just crack the wine open and have a great time.

So many owners in football stay out of it and the fans are delighted. Many other owners get far too involved and get dogs abuse. It all comes down to success on the pitch but Ipswich fans have unrealistic expectations of top flight

I want to believe every word of Evans' interview on 10:41 - Jan 24 with 1660 viewschicoazul

I want to believe every word of Evans' interview on 10:32 - Jan 24 by Bluefish

Lots of wider point though really. Dozzells rehab seemed ok and Bishop seemed to be lots of different problems. Huws is a fair point but he was playing at the time of signing.

Not sure we can blame the rehab in the same way that it was ridiculous to blame the injury problems on micks training. The genius Paul Hurst was supposed to solve all of that straight away.

They have Naismith, Oliveira, Watkins (possibly sold now?) etc out on loan on big wages due to terrible recruitment. This is before we mention the legend than is van wolfwinkel

It's not ridiculous at all. We have never had a central midfield partner for Skuse in all those years under Mick, everyone broke down or couldnt make it back the same player they were if they got a knock, and central midfield especially alongside a sitter like Skuse is where all the running is done. The only one I can think of who had a consistent injury free run is Connolly.

I want to believe every word of Evans' interview on 10:42 - Jan 24 with 1661 viewsSomethingBlue

I want to believe every word of Evans' interview on 10:38 - Jan 24 by PhilTWTD

Perhaps, but it is worth noting that they completely overhauled their academy a year or so ago as it wasn't up to scratch. The odd young player can come through even when the overall system isn't working particularly well.

I can't say I know too much about how their academy is progressing since the changes but I did see they lost 3-0 in the Youth Cup to Cat Two Preston the other night.

Fair points, I may be leaping to conclusions! They do seem to do rather better in integrating their young players these days though and I think they have a better depth of young talent. But the former can certainly owe as much to a functioning football structure, which is really where they outshine us, as a quality academy.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024