Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Labour announce they will back second referendum 17:45 - Feb 25 with 12593 viewspickles110564

Like i have said before anything to try and get votes!
Labour announce they will back second referendum on 17:46 - Feb 25 with 3420 viewsSpruceMoose

Bahaha Squeaky bum time for the Gammonistas!

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Labour announce they will back second referendum on 17:49 - Feb 25 with 3393 viewsGlasgowBlue

The devil will be in the detail. Everybody got a little over excited the other two or three times this was announced only to be disappointed when the details were released.

If he’s true to his word then this is down to Chuka and the Tigs.

Edit. Already rumours that it will be referendum on a “Labour Brexit”. With Labour campaigning to leave on those terms.
[Post edited 25 Feb 2019 17:54]

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Labour announce they will back second referendum on 18:01 - Feb 25 with 3342 viewsZedRodgers

I thought what you were saying before is that Corbyn should come out and admit he wants a no deal Brexit?

No, not at the moment

Labour announce they will back second referendum on 18:02 - Feb 25 with 3333 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Labour announce they will back second referendum on 17:49 - Feb 25 by GlasgowBlue

The devil will be in the detail. Everybody got a little over excited the other two or three times this was announced only to be disappointed when the details were released.

Edit. Already rumours that it will be referendum on a “Labour Brexit”. With Labour campaigning to leave on those terms.

"Chuka and theTigs" ....genuinely laughing out loud. How cuddly.Cheers GB.

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Labour announce they will back second referendum on 18:06 - Feb 25 with 3331 viewsgordon

Labour announce they will back second referendum on 17:49 - Feb 25 by GlasgowBlue

It's awful leadership isn't it? If he'd announced this a week ago the tigs wouldn't have had much justification for leaving.

Great that the opposition have finally got a policy on brexit though, after about 3 years.
Labour announce they will back second referendum on 18:06 - Feb 25 with 3327 viewsBrixtonBlue

If they announced the opposite you'd say that was "anything to try and get votes."

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Labour announce they will back second referendum on 18:08 - Feb 25 with 3326 viewsZedRodgers

I think it’s more likely that it’s backing the new Cooper/Letwin amendment to extend article 50 and then backing the Kyle/Wilson amendment to have a public vote on May’s deal as it is.

This would make sense as a logical next step after the Labour amendment which included a public vote - but was effectively conditional on May compromising her deal - was voted down already. Not sure why you think they would just try that again.

No, not at the moment

Labour announce they will back second referendum on 18:09 - Feb 25 with 3303 viewsGlasgowBlue

Labour announce they will back second referendum on 18:08 - Feb 25 by ZedRodgers

I think it’s more likely that it’s backing the new Cooper/Letwin amendment to extend article 50 and then backing the Kyle/Wilson amendment to have a public vote on May’s deal as it is.

This would make sense as a logical next step after the Labour amendment which included a public vote - but was effectively conditional on May compromising her deal - was voted down already. Not sure why you think they would just try that again.

Will remain be an option?

Iron Lion Zion

Login to get fewer ads

Labour announce they will back second referendum on 18:13 - Feb 25 with 3295 viewschicoazul

So when they said in their latest election manifesto they would implement the result of the referendum....

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Labour announce they will back second referendum on 18:24 - Feb 25 with 3249 viewsZedRodgers

Labour announce they will back second referendum on 18:09 - Feb 25 by GlasgowBlue

Will remain be an option?

I would be very surprised if not but the exact wording of the Kyle/Wilson amendment is still being finalised. I believe they’ve been meeting with Starmer and leadership regularly but were waiting to see whether or not May brought the vote this week.

May leaving not enough time to debate and amend £39b worth of withdrawal agreement has made it clear article 50 will need to be extended regardless, but obviously she’s not admitting that until the vote to risk her MPs splitting beforehand. So will be interesting to see where we stand in terms of amendments come the week of the vote.

This will be the order of play from Labour’s perspective:

No, not at the moment

Labour announce they will back second referendum on 18:28 - Feb 25 with 3231 viewsZedRodgers

Labour announce they will back second referendum on 18:13 - Feb 25 by chicoazul

So when they said in their latest election manifesto they would implement the result of the referendum....

The thing with that is they’ve done as much as they can in terms of offering an alternative deal but are bound by the decision made by members at the party conference in September. They have stuck to that.

Edit: literally this...

[Post edited 25 Feb 2019 18:29]

No, not at the moment

Labour announce they will back second referendum on 18:30 - Feb 25 with 3211 viewsfooters

These politicians, always trying to get votes. Bloody cheek of it.

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Labour announce they will back second referendum on 18:33 - Feb 25 with 3182 viewsGlasgowBlue

Labour announce they will back second referendum on 18:24 - Feb 25 by ZedRodgers

I would be very surprised if not but the exact wording of the Kyle/Wilson amendment is still being finalised. I believe they’ve been meeting with Starmer and leadership regularly but were waiting to see whether or not May brought the vote this week.

May leaving not enough time to debate and amend £39b worth of withdrawal agreement has made it clear article 50 will need to be extended regardless, but obviously she’s not admitting that until the vote to risk her MPs splitting beforehand. So will be interesting to see where we stand in terms of amendments come the week of the vote.

This will be the order of play from Labour’s perspective:

If remain is an option then the tigs will have achieved more in one eeek than the Labour front bench have in three years. A massive shift in policy if true.

Iron Lion Zion

Labour announce they will back second referendum on 18:33 - Feb 25 with 3189 viewsSpruceMoose

Labour announce they will back second referendum on 18:30 - Feb 25 by footers

These politicians, always trying to get votes. Bloody cheek of it.

How dare they try and uphold the wishes of the party members!?

I eagerly await my box of postal votes turning up in my mailbox.

[Post edited 25 Feb 2019 18:35]

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Labour announce they will back second referendum on 18:36 - Feb 25 with 3178 viewsfooters

Labour announce they will back second referendum on 18:33 - Feb 25 by SpruceMoose

How dare they try and uphold the wishes of the party members!?

I eagerly await my box of postal votes turning up in my mailbox.

[Post edited 25 Feb 2019 18:35]

Ah, is this the man who will finally deliver Brexit? Didn't know it came in boxes.

Labour announce they will back second referendum on 18:36 - Feb 25 with 3178 viewsFtnfwest

I don’t get it, what if one took place and got a different result than the first one?
Labour announce they will back second referendum on 18:37 - Feb 25 with 3179 viewsGuthrum

Still don't think a second referendum will actually achieve very much.

There remain the problems of the question, how is it to be phrased, is Remain going to be an option, is No Deal, May's deal, the Labour plan? If a non-binary quaetion, how are they going to handle a result where one option has the largest share, but not an outruight majority (especially if it's close)? What happens if the public vote for something the EU won't accept? If Remain is an option and wins, what then? Is this Referendum (unlike the last one) going to be formally and legally binding?

Lots of things which could go wrong and, if the March deadline still holds, precious little time to sort any of it out.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Labour announce they will back second referendum on 18:38 - Feb 25 with 3170 viewsGuthrum

Labour announce they will back second referendum on 18:36 - Feb 25 by footers

Ah, is this the man who will finally deliver Brexit? Didn't know it came in boxes.

More likely a bucket.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Labour announce they will back second referendum on 18:39 - Feb 25 with 3166 viewsfooters

Labour announce they will back second referendum on 18:36 - Feb 25 by Ftnfwest

I don’t get it, what if one took place and got a different result than the first one?

The options would be different for a start so there couldn't be the same result. Only this time would be able to vote on what the negotiated settlement is rather than some vague idea of what leaving the EU entails. Give people a second vote with all the relevant information say I.

FWIW, I think the country would likely vote for the deal.

Labour announce they will back second referendum on 18:40 - Feb 25 with 3157 viewsZedRodgers

Labour announce they will back second referendum on 18:33 - Feb 25 by GlasgowBlue

If remain is an option then the tigs will have achieved more in one eeek than the Labour front bench have in three years. A massive shift in policy if true.

I think you mean they’ve followed their Brexit policy set at conference but trust you to frame it in any other way than that. I’m sure there will have been occasions in the past where you’ve criticised them for not sticking to it.

Who are The Independent Group?

No, not at the moment

Labour announce they will back second referendum on 18:40 - Feb 25 with 3153 viewsfooters

Labour announce they will back second referendum on 18:38 - Feb 25 by Guthrum

More likely a bucket.

Yes, good point. Such a huge amount of sh1t would make the boxes soggy, silly me.

Labour announce they will back second referendum on 18:41 - Feb 25 with 3149 viewsEdwardStone

Labour announce they will back second referendum on 18:38 - Feb 25 by Guthrum

More likely a bucket.

I think Brexit will arrive in a Crock.....

of merde
Labour announce they will back second referendum on 18:42 - Feb 25 with 3148 viewsfooters

Labour announce they will back second referendum on 18:37 - Feb 25 by Guthrum

Still don't think a second referendum will actually achieve very much.

There remain the problems of the question, how is it to be phrased, is Remain going to be an option, is No Deal, May's deal, the Labour plan? If a non-binary quaetion, how are they going to handle a result where one option has the largest share, but not an outruight majority (especially if it's close)? What happens if the public vote for something the EU won't accept? If Remain is an option and wins, what then? Is this Referendum (unlike the last one) going to be formally and legally binding?

Lots of things which could go wrong and, if the March deadline still holds, precious little time to sort any of it out.

Saw what I reckon is the likely roadmap discussed in the paper earlier. Will see if I can find the tweet but it included the two-month extension, Brexit to finally happen early June.

Edit: Here it is:

End game?
1. Cooper-Boles passes
2. Cox agrees deal
3. Withdrawal Agreement amended by Cox passes Commons March 12
4. May asks for "technical extension" March 13
5. EU agrees Cox-amended WA March 21/22
6. UK ratifies new WA
7. UK puts WA into law
8. Brexit May 1-June 30?
Ends/
[Post edited 25 Feb 2019 18:45]

Labour announce they will back second referendum on 18:42 - Feb 25 with 3141 viewsGlasgowBlue

Labour announce they will back second referendum on 18:39 - Feb 25 by footers

The options would be different for a start so there couldn't be the same result. Only this time would be able to vote on what the negotiated settlement is rather than some vague idea of what leaving the EU entails. Give people a second vote with all the relevant information say I.

FWIW, I think the country would likely vote for the deal.

If you think Corbyn will offer remain as an option in a “people’s vote” then yiu are even more naive than I had thought.

Iron Lion Zion

Labour announce they will back second referendum on 18:44 - Feb 25 with 3123 viewsfooters

Labour announce they will back second referendum on 18:42 - Feb 25 by GlasgowBlue

If you think Corbyn will offer remain as an option in a “people’s vote” then yiu are even more naive than I had thought.

Erm, if you read my post you will see that what you've done there is put words in my mouth, or thoughts in my head.

And that's a bit narsty, innit. I'm a natural optimist, that much is true, but my firm grip on reality is what drives my drink problem.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024