Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Is Paul Lambert the right man for us? 09:19 - Mar 3 with 9577 viewsTomLawrence1

Following Paul Hurst’s sacking, it was hard to imagine that his record at the club could ever possibly be matched, but now it has. He says all the right things and has galvanised everything off the pitch but he seems completely tactically inept - if McCarthy would have played 5-4-1 at home with a winger up front, people would have been calling for his head.

There seemed to be no game plan yesterday, a 90 minute scrap relying on under par players to work it out for themselves. It’s this tactical ineptitude that has me worried, a manager still trying to find a system after nearly five months in the job is unheard of. It was the same story for PL at Stoke. And he done nothing with Wolves and Blackburn. It went downhill with Villa too.

The assumption of some Ipswich fans that we will rocket straight back up to the Championship is naïve. We could not even beat Accrington Stanley in the

Our demise may have only just begun...

Is Paul Lambert the right man for us? on 09:21 - Mar 3 with 4791 viewsGuthrum

How many fit strikers did we have available yesterday?

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Is Paul Lambert the right man for us? on 09:24 - Mar 3 with 4769 views44_not_out

I tell you what, let’s get rid of him and get an up and coming, young hungry, tracksuit manager appointed instead. Just what we’ve needed for years.

Of course he’s the man. Sadly he inherited an absolute car crash.
Is Paul Lambert the right man for us? on 09:25 - Mar 3 with 4757 viewssotd78

Two mistakes. Starting with slow players in a back three against pace.
Then not going 4 at the back when Collins came off - which then compromised the subs available. We needed fresh legs on 75 minutes and had none left to use.

As fir the future - we are signing our youngsters on better deals - protecting the future. The U18 and 23 teams are doing great. We need to put a spine in place and play exciting youngsters around that. So four key players
Goalie, Centre half, midfield dynamo, striker. Add a winger and it would be shades of Bobby Robson and how we built our first decent team under him.

Blue shirts/white shorts - sotd78

Is Paul Lambert the right man for us? on 09:27 - Mar 3 with 4747 viewsTomLawrence1

Is Paul Lambert the right man for us? on 09:21 - Mar 3 by Guthrum

How many fit strikers did we have available yesterday?

Kayden Jackson is more of a forward than Quaner. Quaner has insisted time and time again that he is a winger. Jackson was one of League One’s top scorers lastly season.
Is Paul Lambert the right man for us? on 09:30 - Mar 3 with 4712 viewsmuccletonjoe

Is Paul Lambert the right man for us? on 09:27 - Mar 3 by TomLawrence1

Kayden Jackson is more of a forward than Quaner. Quaner has insisted time and time again that he is a winger. Jackson was one of League One’s top scorers lastly season.

League 2 . Which is where we will be looking at, next march.
Is Paul Lambert the right man for us? on 09:31 - Mar 3 with 4713 viewschristiand

Yes, I still believe he is. Our team in August will be completely different to the one we saw yesterday. Let’s not forget, we created enough chances to win against Reading, Martinez in their goal had a very good game plus some poor finishing from us. PL has not had a pre season and he can mould the team to his ethos with players he actually wants. It was all about survival with this current squad and sadly they’ve proved they aren’t good enough, but the blame isn’t with PL solely the damage was done before then. Relegation might actually be a good thing. PL can get rid of the deadwood and actually build a side again with some of the promising youngsters and a sprinkling of experience, something Ipswich did in the past and then go again. After this dreadful season, I’m strangely more hopeful and optimistic about our long term prospects even though we’ll be in League One!
[Post edited 3 Mar 2019 16:35]

Poll: Where will we finish this season?
Blog: Full of Optimism and Hope, the League One Kick Off is Finally Here!

Is Paul Lambert the right man for us? on 09:44 - Mar 3 with 4660 viewsGuthrum

To quote Quaner from when he first joined: 'I definitely believe my best position is through the middle. I have also played a lot of games in the past in a wide position but I definitely prefer being up top in the centre.' (my italics) He's a big, powerful battering ram, not a fast, agile wide-man.

Jackson has scored three goals in 25 League appearances. As has already been pointed out, it was League Two, not One.

Is Paul Lambert the right man for us? on 09:48 - Mar 3 with 4625 viewschristiand

Is Paul Lambert the right man for us? on 09:44 - Mar 3 by Guthrum

To quote Quaner from when he first joined: 'I definitely believe my best position is through the middle. I have also played a lot of games in the past in a wide position but I definitely prefer being up top in the centre.' (my italics) He's a big, powerful battering ram, not a fast, agile wide-man.

Jackson has scored three goals in 25 League appearances. As has already been pointed out, it was League Two, not One.

Quaner clearly sees himself differently to the majority of us. A centre forward he isn’t.

Poll: Where will we finish this season?
Blog: Full of Optimism and Hope, the League One Kick Off is Finally Here!

Login to get fewer ads

Is Paul Lambert the right man for us? on 09:49 - Mar 3 with 4626 viewsSuperblue95

Is Paul Lambert the right man for us? on 09:24 - Mar 3 by 44_not_out

I tell you what, let’s get rid of him and get an up and coming, young hungry, tracksuit manager appointed instead. Just what we’ve needed for years.

I’m not saying we should sack Lambert but it’s not unreasonable to question his position considering his record is as bad (if not worse) than Hursts was. The amount of ‘winnable’ home games we have lost is shameful

My hobbies include being quiet during trips, clapping with songs, and diabetes.
Poll: Englands player of the tournament

Is Paul Lambert the right man for us? on 09:52 - Mar 3 with 4600 viewsWhymarkmariner

One thing you can't do is keep chopping and changing managers, we have had three managers in no time at all. Every time you change the new guy has a different backroom staff, different ideas and wants different players. As PL has already said we have had far too many through the door already. We know that Collins, Quaner, Bree, Pennington,Chalobah and possibly Judge and Keane will go along with Adeyemi and maybe two or three others. So possibly between 10 and 12 players will leave. The worst part of this is that Judge,Keane,Pennington,Chalobah and to a slightly lesser extent Bree have been our best players. As was eluded to on Radio Suffolk the players you would have expected to step up for you are Skuse, Bart, Chambers and Knudsen all to a greater and lesser extent have been very poor.
Is Paul Lambert the right man for us? on 09:57 - Mar 3 with 4571 viewsGuthrum

Is Paul Lambert the right man for us? on 09:48 - Mar 3 by christiand

Quaner clearly sees himself differently to the majority of us. A centre forward he isn’t.

I can see him as the man to break defensive lines and force mistakes. But has to be played alongside someone with the skill to take advantage of opportunities (a Quaner-McGoldrick combination, for example, would be extremely dangerous).

The biggest issue is that none of our strikers, with the possible exception of Sears on a good day, are good enough marksmen. We need to get shots away, on target and with enough power or accuracy to beat the 'keeper.

Is Paul Lambert the right man for us? on 09:57 - Mar 3 with 4569 viewsTomLawrence1

I’m not saying Lambert should be sacked particularly, I just think it is important to question his tactical outlook and whether he can do the job.
Is Paul Lambert the right man for us? on 10:06 - Mar 3 with 4518 views44_not_out

Is Paul Lambert the right man for us? on 09:49 - Mar 3 by Superblue95

I’m not saying we should sack Lambert but it’s not unreasonable to question his position considering his record is as bad (if not worse) than Hursts was. The amount of ‘winnable’ home games we have lost is shameful

Probable because the up and coming, young hungry tracksuit manager who people were wetting themselves over, came in and sold our main goal threats and replaced them with dross.

The reason we’re not winning games is because we cannot score goals!

Also, Hurst (I hate that man) sucked all the confidence out of the squad!

On the whole, tactics, style etc has been much better. Although I think he missed a trick yesterday by replacing Collins with Toto.
Is Paul Lambert the right man for us? on 10:11 - Mar 3 with 4486 viewsGuthrum

Is Paul Lambert the right man for us? on 09:57 - Mar 3 by TomLawrence1

I’m not saying Lambert should be sacked particularly, I just think it is important to question his tactical outlook and whether he can do the job.

If his tactics are ineffective and he can't do the job, then the only option available is to sack him! It's a rather binary situation. If not good enough, get rid before he takes us down further.

In reality, I don't think we can really make a definitive judgement on his abilities yet. Taking over a team already adrift at the bottom of the division, players not good enough, not able to get anyone in for two months, limited hiring opportunities (January, restricted money, bottom, players preferring to go elsewhere), key injuries. Give him a summer to reorganise, a full preseason and by the end of 2019 we should have a better idea of what Lambert's Ipswich is like and can achieve.

Is Paul Lambert the right man for us? on 10:14 - Mar 3 with 4451 viewsBLUEBEAT

Is Paul Lambert the right man for us? on 10:06 - Mar 3 by 44_not_out

Probable because the up and coming, young hungry tracksuit manager who people were wetting themselves over, came in and sold our main goal threats and replaced them with dross.

On the whole, tactics, style etc has been much better. Although I think he missed a trick yesterday by replacing Collins with Toto.

Yep

Assess him after 3 months of next season when the many loanees, end of contract regulars, dead wood, long-term injured have gone and he has made a few of his own real signings.

Poll: W or W

Is Paul Lambert the right man for us? on 10:15 - Mar 3 with 4443 viewsGarv

That's nonsense. Quaner has done more in two months than Jackson has most the season.

He was also in league two, not league one.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

Is Paul Lambert the right man for us? on 10:18 - Mar 3 with 4421 viewsHarry_Palmer

Is Paul Lambert the right man for us? on 09:25 - Mar 3 by sotd78

Two mistakes. Starting with slow players in a back three against pace.
Then not going 4 at the back when Collins came off - which then compromised the subs available. We needed fresh legs on 75 minutes and had none left to use.

As fir the future - we are signing our youngsters on better deals - protecting the future. The U18 and 23 teams are doing great. We need to put a spine in place and play exciting youngsters around that. So four key players
Goalie, Centre half, midfield dynamo, striker. Add a winger and it would be shades of Bobby Robson and how we built our first decent team under him.

Totally agree
Is Paul Lambert the right man for us? on 10:19 - Mar 3 with 4418 viewsHerbivore

This post is entirely inaccurate. Quaner says he sees himself as a number 9. Jackson hasn't played at League 1 level.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Is Paul Lambert the right man for us? on 10:19 - Mar 3 with 4410 viewsSuperblue95

Is Paul Lambert the right man for us? on 10:06 - Mar 3 by 44_not_out

Cannot score and cannot defend. Lambert has done nothing to affect either despite having a transfer window (yes I know it’s hard to attract decent players when bottom of the league, but still)

For me we should have either been making ourselves hard to beat and grinding out results until May (not Lamberts style or the style we wanted but needs must) or if he wants to play the right way then doing it with players who will be here next season to carry it on. He’s doing neither currently.

For the record I’m happy to give Lambert next season to see how he gets on, but I think he’s far from immune from criticism about this shambles of a season

My hobbies include being quiet during trips, clapping with songs, and diabetes.
Poll: Englands player of the tournament

Is Paul Lambert the right man for us? on 10:20 - Mar 3 with 4405 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Is Paul Lambert the right man for us? on 09:24 - Mar 3 by 44_not_out

“Of course he’s the man”

He may prove to be, but what evidence is there at the moment to back up that statement?

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Is Paul Lambert the right man for us? on 10:31 - Mar 3 with 4354 viewsBlueBadger

Is Paul Lambert the right man for us? on 09:49 - Mar 3 by Superblue95

You're forgetting that those were Improved Performances, though.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: Where would it be funniest to see NCFC fans crying on the telly?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Is Paul Lambert the right man for us? on 10:37 - Mar 3 with 4320 views44_not_out

Is Paul Lambert the right man for us? on 10:20 - Mar 3 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

“Of course he’s the man”

He may prove to be, but what evidence is there at the moment to back up that statement?

Please give me alternatives......
Is Paul Lambert the right man for us? on 10:41 - Mar 3 with 4299 viewsGuthrum

Is Paul Lambert the right man for us? on 10:19 - Mar 3 by Herbivore

This post is entirely inaccurate. Quaner says he sees himself as a number 9. Jackson hasn't played at League 1 level.

Actually, he has. One game in August, before signing for us (a 0-2 defeat to Gillingham, in which he didn't score and was subbed after 82 minutes).

Is Paul Lambert the right man for us? on 10:41 - Mar 3 with 4290 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Is Paul Lambert the right man for us? on 10:37 - Mar 3 by 44_not_out

Please give me alternatives......

That he’s not actually the man?

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Is Paul Lambert the right man for us? on 10:46 - Mar 3 with 4263 viewsGuthrum

Is Paul Lambert the right man for us? on 10:19 - Mar 3 by Superblue95

Cannot score and cannot defend. Lambert has done nothing to affect either despite having a transfer window (yes I know it’s hard to attract decent players when bottom of the league, but still)

For me we should have either been making ourselves hard to beat and grinding out results until May (not Lamberts style or the style we wanted but needs must) or if he wants to play the right way then doing it with players who will be here next season to carry it on. He’s doing neither currently.

For the record I’m happy to give Lambert next season to see how he gets on, but I think he’s far from immune from criticism about this shambles of a season

He brought in Keane, who has scored three goals before getting injured, Collins, who shored up the defence for a couple of games before getting injured and Bree, who is less of a disaster at right back.

We did not have the players to 'grind out results', especially as 0 - 0 draws were not enough, even starting in November. The defence was too weak, goalkeepers wobbly and strikers unable to score.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024