Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
So this might not go down too well... 10:23 - Mar 22 with 8649 viewsOwainG1992

Should Adam Johnson be aloud to play football again now he has been released from prison?
My immediate thought is no because sh*gging and grooming an underage girl is just a no no for me.
But I imagine some will say he has served his time and should be aloud. Thoughts?

Poll: Apologies I'm bored. How many signings will we have by Plymouth at home.

So this might not go down too well... on 10:27 - Mar 22 with 3889 viewsartsbossbeard

Can he play right back?

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.
Poll: Raining in IP8 - shall I get the washing in?

So this might not go down too well... on 10:27 - Mar 22 with 3892 viewsFixed_It

He has served his time for committing the crime. However, in his case it was almost certainly his status as a footballer which led to the crime being committed in the first place, so on that basis I'm not sure he should be allowed back into the professional game.

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

So this might not go down too well... on 10:28 - Mar 22 with 3879 viewsSarge

Depends if you need a DBS check to be a footballer. Ultimately that’s his job and if you allow other ex-cons to return to work you can’t make an exception against him.
So this might not go down too well... on 10:36 - Mar 22 with 3844 viewsartsbossbeard

So this might not go down too well... on 10:28 - Mar 22 by Sarge

Depends if you need a DBS check to be a footballer. Ultimately that’s his job and if you allow other ex-cons to return to work you can’t make an exception against him.

I think he's too toxic for any club to touch.

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.

So this might not go down too well... on 10:42 - Mar 22 with 3812 viewsclive_baker

A couple of things, 1) it's allowed and 2) I don't think he sh***ed her.

He should be allowed to pursue his career given he's served his time, in the same way that anyone else should if they're released from prison. Having said that, given the fact he's a convicted nonce, I would find it very difficult to support a side that he was representing.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

So this might not go down too well... on 10:51 - Mar 22 with 3771 viewsMattinLondon

So this might not go down too well... on 10:36 - Mar 22 by artsbossbeard

There’s been footballers who have been over-the-limit and as a consequence small children have died. It’s that less toxic than what Johnson did?

As distasteful as it might sound - he’s done his time so he should be free to continue with his career.
So this might not go down too well... on 10:52 - Mar 22 with 3763 viewsRadlett_blue

So this might not go down too well... on 10:42 - Mar 22 by clive_baker

He should be allowed to pursue his career given he's served his time, in the same way that anyone else should if they're released from prison. Having said that, given the fact he's a convicted nonce, I would find it very difficult to support a side that he was representing.

No legitimate reason why Johnson shouldn't be allowed to return to professional football. However, any club signing him would be foolish if it were not aware of the attendant negative publicity.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

So this might not go down too well... on 10:57 - Mar 22 with 3736 viewsclive_baker

So this might not go down too well... on 10:52 - Mar 22 by Radlett_blue

No legitimate reason why Johnson shouldn't be allowed to return to professional football. However, any club signing him would be foolish if it were not aware of the attendant negative publicity.

Yeah you would have to question if it's worthwhile at all given the likely impact on sponsorship, commercial revenues and general PR. It's not like he's even that good, and 4 years out of the game is bound to have taken it's toll. There's no way I would be looking at him if I were a football league club, I'm sure he'll end up in China or something.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Login to get fewer ads

So this might not go down too well... on 11:09 - Mar 22 with 3685 viewsSuperfrans

My answer would be no, not at a family club, you'd want to keep as far away from him as possible.

But it also occurred to me that it might not even be possible. How would you possibly employ a footballer who is on the sexual offences register, given that so much of the job involved mixing with minors - either at the training ground, where there are young men and their families visiting on a daily basis, but also at community events held by or on behalf of the club.

Poll: What is your voting intention on December 12?
Blog: Dear Martin Samuel...

So this might not go down too well... on 11:12 - Mar 22 with 3668 viewsRadlett_blue

So this might not go down too well... on 11:09 - Mar 22 by Superfrans

My answer would be no, not at a family club, you'd want to keep as far away from him as possible.

But it also occurred to me that it might not even be possible. How would you possibly employ a footballer who is on the sexual offences register, given that so much of the job involved mixing with minors - either at the training ground, where there are young men and their families visiting on a daily basis, but also at community events held by or on behalf of the club.

Most of a professional footballer's working life does not involve "working with minors". Yes, children might train there, but you would equally have to CRB everyone who wanted to join an amateur tennis or rugby club purely as a player if you think this is a logical process for excluding Johnson.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

So this might not go down too well... on 11:17 - Mar 22 with 3640 viewsBasuco

My first thought is yes, he should be given a second chance, he may turn out to be like Troy Deeney, in that after going off the rails and after serving time he became a much better human being. Prison is about educating offenders to keep within the law, if he re-offends lock him up and throw the key away, but he deserves a chance in life. The only reason this will come up is that he could well be earning significantly more than most ex-cons can, legally that is.
So this might not go down too well... on 11:24 - Mar 22 with 3594 viewstextbackup

So this might not go down too well... on 10:27 - Mar 22 by Fixed_It

He has served his time for committing the crime. However, in his case it was almost certainly his status as a footballer which led to the crime being committed in the first place, so on that basis I'm not sure he should be allowed back into the professional game.

he's served part of his time. still 2/3 years left to run if im not mistaken.

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

So this might not go down too well... on 11:27 - Mar 22 with 3571 viewstextbackup

So this might not go down too well... on 10:51 - Mar 22 by MattinLondon

There’s been footballers who have been over-the-limit and as a consequence small children have died. It’s that less toxic than what Johnson did?

As distasteful as it might sound - he’s done his time so he should be free to continue with his career.

again, he served part of the time he was given. still has 3 years remaining.

on top of that.... football clubs have academies, hospital visits, school visits. that nonce wont be allowed near any of that if signed by anyone.
then you have the players he play with to consider, they have families, kids etc....

[Post edited 22 Mar 2019 11:29]

So this might not go down too well... on 11:28 - Mar 22 with 3565 viewschicoazul

So this might not go down too well... on 10:36 - Mar 22 by artsbossbeard

Naive.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

So this might not go down too well... on 11:28 - Mar 22 with 3557 viewschicoazul

So this might not go down too well... on 10:42 - Mar 22 by clive_baker

It doesnt matter what you or anyone else *thinks*. He was guilty.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!

So this might not go down too well... on 11:28 - Mar 22 with 3557 viewsartsbossbeard

So this might not go down too well... on 11:28 - Mar 22 by chicoazul

Naive.

Don't be a plank.

So this might not go down too well... on 11:28 - Mar 22 with 3546 viewsHerbivore

In principle yes he should, but I'd feel deeply uncomfortable about us signing him and so I think practically he's going to find it tough. You don't rehabilitate people by barring them from the labour market but given his profile and the nature of the crime it makes it difficult.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

So this might not go down too well... on 11:31 - Mar 22 with 3529 viewschicoazul

So this might not go down too well... on 11:28 - Mar 22 by artsbossbeard

Don't be a plank.

Lee Hughes walked out and straight into a club. Graham Rix went straight back to Chelsea. Professional football doesnt seem to care much.

So this might not go down too well... on 11:32 - Mar 22 with 3513 viewsartsbossbeard

So this might not go down too well... on 11:31 - Mar 22 by chicoazul

Lee Hughes walked out and straight into a club. Graham Rix went straight back to Chelsea. Professional football doesnt seem to care much.

See, that's a better response.

Just typing the word "naïve" isn't .

I agree BUT we're now in full blown social media outrage times. He'll play again but overseas.

So this might not go down too well... on 11:32 - Mar 22 with 3512 viewsrickw

By law yes he should be able to, but I can't see any English club wanting all the outcry which would undoubtedly happen if they sign him. Sponsors threatened to pull out of any club linked with Ched Evans a few years ago, so I'd imagine this would be exactly the same.

If the terms of his release allow it I can see him moving abroad and playing, probably somewhere with a lower age of consent, as they won't see what he did as wrong

Poll: Of the Non Favourites for ITFC managers job who would you prefer
Blog: Reasons for Relegation

So this might not go down too well... on 11:33 - Mar 22 with 3507 viewshampstead_blue

He should be allowed to rehabilitate and given a fair chance to do so.

You cannot deny someone their right to work.

Assumption is to make an ass out of you and me. Those who assume they know you, when they don't are just guessing. Those who assume and insist they know are daft and in denial. Those who assume, insist, and deny the truth are plain stupid. Those who assume, insist, deny the truth and tell YOU they know you (when they don't) have an IQ in the range of 35-49.
Poll: Best Blackpool goal

So this might not go down too well... on 11:34 - Mar 22 with 3487 viewstextbackup

So this might not go down too well... on 11:33 - Mar 22 by hampstead_blue

He should be allowed to rehabilitate and given a fair chance to do so.

You cannot deny someone their right to work.

would you be saying such thing if he'd used his position to groom your 14/15 year old daughter?

So this might not go down too well... on 11:35 - Mar 22 with 3480 viewschicoazul

So this might not go down too well... on 11:32 - Mar 22 by artsbossbeard

See, that's a better response.

Just typing the word "naïve" isn't .

I agree BUT we're now in full blown social media outrage times. He'll play again but overseas.

Well it is naive to think he wont, as you yourself have just said and I agree with, he will play again.

So this might not go down too well... on 11:36 - Mar 22 with 3467 viewsMattinLondon

So this might not go down too well... on 11:27 - Mar 22 by textbackup

again, he served part of the time he was given. still has 3 years remaining.

on top of that.... football clubs have academies, hospital visits, school visits. that nonce wont be allowed near any of that if signed by anyone.
then you have the players he play with to consider, they have families, kids etc....

[Post edited 22 Mar 2019 11:29]

A tad over the top.
So this might not go down too well... on 11:37 - Mar 22 with 3450 viewsartsbossbeard

So this might not go down too well... on 11:36 - Mar 22 by MattinLondon

A tad over the top.

is it though?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024