Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
To make sure I never visit the UAE 13:18 - Apr 8 with 5629 viewsballycastle

and Dubai in particular. The country rotten to the core run by intolerant religious nut jobs. There, that should just about so it.
To make sure I never visit the UAE on 15:45 - Apr 8 with 2259 viewsbradforblues

To make sure I never visit the UAE on 15:15 - Apr 8 by WD19

She was sat in the UK and called a woman (who happen to live in the UAE) a horseface on facebook.

She faces 2 years inside or up to $50k fine I believe.

Was there a couple of weeks ago. Dubai has literally nothing going for it other than the sunshine. The labour conditions are beyond abhorrent.

Hate to break it to you fella but Facebook trolling is a crime in this country too, I.e. Harassment, malicious communications etc and the sentence quoted is the maximum not the actual, bit like this country too !!!!!!!!!

you are my ipswich !!

To make sure I never visit the UAE on 15:56 - Apr 8 with 2241 viewsWD19

To make sure I never visit the UAE on 15:45 - Apr 8 by bradforblues

Hate to break it to you fella but Facebook trolling is a crime in this country too, I.e. Harassment, malicious communications etc and the sentence quoted is the maximum not the actual, bit like this country too !!!!!!!!!

Give it a rest horseface.
To make sure I never visit the UAE on 15:58 - Apr 8 with 2239 viewsIpswichKnight

To make sure I never visit the UAE on 15:56 - Apr 8 by WD19

1 year in the scrubs for you!
To make sure I never visit the UAE on 15:59 - Apr 8 with 2237 viewsMJallday

To make sure I never visit the UAE on 15:21 - Apr 8 by braveblue

Holding hands? Nonsense.

im afraid not.
i was given a very specific briefing before going out not to have "any physical contact" with any females in public. it is at best, frowned upon and at worst, punishable further in accordance with strict local laws.

I was told that the only circumstance where it would be socially permitted would be a business meeting in the presence of others.

fwiw, i went on my own, so there were no other females there to touch in anycase

Stilton eating Participant - 1977 to Present Day
Poll: Will you be renewing if you are an existing ST Holder - given todays news?

To make sure I never visit the UAE on 16:03 - Apr 8 with 2224 viewsMJallday

To make sure I never visit the UAE on 15:56 - Apr 8 by WD19

i can only imagine the hurdles she's had to overcome.

ill get my coat...

Poll: Will you be renewing if you are an existing ST Holder - given todays news?

To make sure I never visit the UAE on 16:25 - Apr 8 with 2203 viewsjeera

To make sure I never visit the UAE on 16:03 - Apr 8 by MJallday

i can only imagine the hurdles she's had to overcome.

ill get my coat...

Coat, or blanket?

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

To make sure I never visit the UAE on 16:26 - Apr 8 with 2203 viewsitfcjoe

To make sure I never visit the UAE on 15:59 - Apr 8 by MJallday

im afraid not.
i was given a very specific briefing before going out not to have "any physical contact" with any females in public. it is at best, frowned upon and at worst, punishable further in accordance with strict local laws.

I was told that the only circumstance where it would be socially permitted would be a business meeting in the presence of others.

fwiw, i went on my own, so there were no other females there to touch in anycase

I think they may have been winding you up, I've been there with my wife before we were married and had no such problems with holding hands.

I even walked along the road in Ramadan drinking a smoothie (not deliberately - wasn't aware it was Ramadan)

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

To make sure I never visit the UAE on 16:28 - Apr 8 with 2195 viewsStokieBlue

To make sure I never visit the UAE on 16:26 - Apr 8 by itfcjoe

I think they may have been winding you up, I've been there with my wife before we were married and had no such problems with holding hands.

I even walked along the road in Ramadan drinking a smoothie (not deliberately - wasn't aware it was Ramadan)

He's not making it up, there are numerous resources saying don't do it (every newspaper has it in their guide) although it's tolerated if you're married.

The point is that you might be fine, you might just a likely be taken in and charged with something.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Login to get fewer ads

To make sure I never visit the UAE on 16:31 - Apr 8 with 2183 viewsitfcjoe

To make sure I never visit the UAE on 16:28 - Apr 8 by StokieBlue

He's not making it up, there are numerous resources saying don't do it (every newspaper has it in their guide) although it's tolerated if you're married.

The point is that you might be fine, you might just a likely be taken in and charged with something.

SB

Resources saying don't hold hands?! I've seen some that say kissing is frowned upon.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

To make sure I never visit the UAE on 16:35 - Apr 8 with 2176 viewsStokieBlue

To make sure I never visit the UAE on 16:31 - Apr 8 by itfcjoe

Resources saying don't hold hands?! I've seen some that say kissing is frowned upon.

First 3 links on a quick Google are all media outlets saying don't do it:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-37131490
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/11/world/middleeast/dubai-crimes-united-arab-emi
https://traveltips.usatoday.com/rules-unmarried-couples-staying-dubai-hotels-619

"Keep in mind that if you're stopped by the police because you're holding hands and you're not married, you might run into trouble"

I think those last 5 words are key. You might be fine X times, it's that one police officer having a bad day where you're going to run into problems.

SB
[Post edited 8 Apr 2019 16:36]

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

To make sure I never visit the UAE on 16:46 - Apr 8 with 2159 viewsPendejo

To make sure I never visit the UAE on 15:45 - Apr 8 by bradforblues

Yes but you'd have to go a bit further than calling someone "horseface" to get banged up... wouldn't you?

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

To make sure I never visit the UAE on 16:51 - Apr 8 with 2154 viewsbluejake78

To make sure I never visit the UAE on 15:15 - Apr 8 by WD19

She was sat in the UK and called a woman (who happen to live in the UAE) a horseface on facebook.

She faces 2 years inside or up to $50k fine I believe.

Was there a couple of weeks ago. Dubai has literally nothing going for it other than the sunshine. The labour conditions are beyond abhorrent.

To be fair horse face isn't too bad.
Both women are moose's.
To make sure I never visit the UAE on 18:55 - Apr 8 with 2108 viewsEly_Blue

To make sure I never visit the UAE on 16:28 - Apr 8 by StokieBlue

SB

I know a guy who went to work out there a few years ago, took his family with him and he and his other half had to (rather hastily) get married before they moved out there as it’s frowned upon quite badly to have relations outside of marriage

Poll: Will you still buy a Season Ticket for next year in league 1

To make sure I never visit the UAE on 20:05 - Apr 8 with 2088 viewsLeoMuff

To make sure I never visit the UAE on 14:50 - Apr 8 by Ely_Blue

Surely it is more a case of when in Rome do as the Romans do? I am sure that there are plenty of people who come to parts of the western world and don’t agree with our customs and ways of living.

Just because a country has differing opinions or cultures to that in which you live that doesn’t make them wrong.

I have visited twice for work and it’s a pretty safe, clean and hospitable place with friendly enough people.

Get over yourself

What a load of BS, so if you were in Auschwitz circa 1940 you would be fine with that ?

I say intolerance is intolerance whatever your culture, 10 years prison for being gay, if your a rape victim you are often arrested and charged with adultery, if they weren’t minted they would be pariahs.

The only Muff in Town.
Poll: Lamberts rotational policy has left us....

To make sure I never visit the UAE on 20:49 - Apr 8 with 2066 viewsEly_Blue

To make sure I never visit the UAE on 20:05 - Apr 8 by LeoMuff

What a load of BS, so if you were in Auschwitz circa 1940 you would be fine with that ?

I say intolerance is intolerance whatever your culture, 10 years prison for being gay, if your a rape victim you are often arrested and charged with adultery, if they weren’t minted they would be pariahs.

That’s not even the same thing.

These things are written into their laws and culture, you know what they are when you go there, if you don’t like it or can’t abide by it then don’t go, much like those that disagree with horses dying in a horse race!

Poll: Will you still buy a Season Ticket for next year in league 1

To make sure I never visit the UAE on 20:53 - Apr 8 with 2063 viewssparks

To make sure I never visit the UAE on 14:50 - Apr 8 by Ely_Blue

Surely it is more a case of when in Rome do as the Romans do? I am sure that there are plenty of people who come to parts of the western world and don’t agree with our customs and ways of living.

Just because a country has differing opinions or cultures to that in which you live that doesn’t make them wrong.

I have visited twice for work and it’s a pretty safe, clean and hospitable place with friendly enough people.

Get over yourself

I think that many of their "values" and laws are demonstrably wrong, by any reasonable civilised measure.

They are driven by dangerous religous dogma ratehr than reason.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

To make sure I never visit the UAE on 20:57 - Apr 8 with 2055 viewsDarth_Koont

To make sure I never visit the UAE on 20:49 - Apr 8 by Ely_Blue

These things are written into their laws and culture, you know what they are when you go there, if you don’t like it or can’t abide by it then don’t go, much like those that disagree with horses dying in a horse race!

I've got to agree with Leo here.

You can't take every advantage of the technical advances of the world and suddenly play ignorant about how equality and human rights have also advanced. Unless you're well dodgy.

Pronouns: He/Him

To make sure I never visit the UAE on 21:03 - Apr 8 with 2050 viewsjeera

To be fair though Ely, the woman is in the sh1t for calling someone a name on bloody FB some 2 years ago.

She couldn't be expected to foresee that.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

To make sure I never visit the UAE on 21:21 - Apr 8 with 2030 viewssparks

You can simultaneously take the sensible decision not to go- and still hold the perfectly reasonable view that the laws are religous lunacy and demonstrably wrong.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

To make sure I never visit the UAE on 21:25 - Apr 8 with 2026 viewsFreddies_Ears

To make sure I never visit the UAE on 13:21 - Apr 8 by chicoazul

Just get an Israel stamp in your passport, that will sort it for you.

Didn't work for me, the Israeli stamp thingy!
To make sure I never visit the UAE on 21:32 - Apr 8 with 2018 viewsLeoMuff

It is, you said when in Rome..

these things are tolerated by plenty of moderate Muslim states, it’s how you decide to interpret the law that is important.

The Old Testament was pretty clear on homosexuality, adultery but we are not banging people up anymore for 10 years.

Don’t worry I won’t be heading there to support these people.

The only Muff in Town.
Poll: Lamberts rotational policy has left us....

To make sure I never visit the UAE on 22:58 - Apr 8 with 2001 viewsbraveblue

To make sure I never visit the UAE on 15:59 - Apr 8 by MJallday

im afraid not.

Then you were advised incorrectly. By whom I wonder?
To make sure I never visit the UAE on 08:31 - Apr 9 with 1944 viewsMJallday

To make sure I never visit the UAE on 16:26 - Apr 8 by itfcjoe

Ftse 250 financial companies don’t tend to summon you to foreign visit briefings to “wind you up”
At least that’s not their intention (it often ends that way)

Tbh they were being over cautious, they also said I had to not consume alcohol on the plane prior to landing there, something I miserably failed on as I was p1ssed before the plane left the runway at Birmingham

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024