Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
So the season starts in a month 09:33 - Jul 4 with 5245 viewschicoazul

and we have no established full backs, only 2 centre backs 1 of whom is very creaky now, only 2 centre forwards, no real cover out wide, and our keeper is carrying an injury that prevented him from signing for someone else.
Going well so far isnt it.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

So the season starts in a month on 09:36 - Jul 4 with 2306 viewsSteve_M

The Bart thing isn't significant is it, not selling him might be but an old injury that hasn't affected him isn't that concerning.

The rest of it is something of a mess, Wolfenden can probably play some matches this year but expecting him to be a regular is a lot. All seems just as half-arsed as recent years under McCarthy int hat we sign good players but not enough of them.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

So the season starts in a month on 09:36 - Jul 4 with 2300 viewsGlasgowBlue

Woolfie makes it three centre-backs and we signed Bart’s replacement.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

So the season starts in a month on 09:37 - Jul 4 with 2293 viewsKieran_Knows

So the season starts in a month on 09:36 - Jul 4 by GlasgowBlue

So then that leaves us with 2 keepers who haven't played a minute of competitive first team football between them, to be back up to Holy?

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

So the season starts in a month on 09:38 - Jul 4 with 2290 viewsKieran_Knows

These are the days my friend, these are the days.

So the season starts in a month on 09:38 - Jul 4 with 2295 viewsITFC_Forever

Woolfenden is a CB who looks more than capable of playing in L1 (if we were still in the Champ, we might be looking to loan him to a L1 side anyway), Kenlock and Emmanuel have both played 50+ games at L1 or higher....

We have loads of cover out wide, Bart's injury hasn't stopped him playing over 300 games since it happened.

So while it's not "going well", it's not quite a disaster yet.

Although we certainly need another striker and cover at CB and FB.

P 1123, W 500, D 287, L 336, F 1704, A 1356
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

So the season starts in a month on 09:38 - Jul 4 with 2285 viewschicoazul

So the season starts in a month on 09:36 - Jul 4 by GlasgowBlue

Going to argue that Holy is Gerken's replacement but yes you may be right.
I hope Woolf is good, and he looked good against West Ham, because at this rate he is going to play a lot of games, but surely we need some gnarled horrible old bstard in there with 200 games under their belt?

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!

So the season starts in a month on 09:39 - Jul 4 with 2279 viewsKieran_Knows

So the season starts in a month on 09:38 - Jul 4 by ITFC_Forever

Woolfenden is a CB who looks more than capable of playing in L1 (if we were still in the Champ, we might be looking to loan him to a L1 side anyway), Kenlock and Emmanuel have both played 50+ games at L1 or higher....

We have loads of cover out wide, Bart's injury hasn't stopped him playing over 300 games since it happened.

What options out wide do we have? Lankester? Edwards (hit and miss with regards to injuries) and Danny Rowe who has been either injured or out of favour under 3 different managers here?

So the season starts in a month on 09:41 - Jul 4 with 2265 viewschicoazul

So the season starts in a month on 09:38 - Jul 4 by ITFC_Forever

You've seen Kenlock and Emmanuel play right? I hope you're right and they come in and do really well but hoooooo boy.....
What I really mean about Bart is, clearly we want rid of him but seem to be stuck with him. Who is our wide cover? I'd consider Rowe and Edwards first team players, who else? Lankester is injured, El Miz is a kid.

Login to get fewer ads

So the season starts in a month on 09:45 - Jul 4 with 2245 viewsWarkTheWarkITFC

You do realise that what you have just described is pretty much every League One club at this stage right?

They have predominantly small squads, topped up with youth players. They give out 1 and 2 year contracts because they can't afford to carry anyone. Their best players are frequently linked with moves away, some of whom would have had their contracts expired and their recruitment plans may rest with working out who they can keep hold of and who might move on.

Just look at the squads of every other club at this level and there are probably about 20 teams in the division with less players than us, not to mention far less quality.

I'd say Sunderland, Pompey and Peterborough are probably the only teams who have anything near as settled a squad as we have in terms of those likely to be involved next season. Every other team is still trying to bring players in.

We are also in the position of being one of the top teams and trying to attract the sort of players who may also be waiting to see if lower end Championship teams come in.

Poll: How many points from 18 would Lambert need to have to actually be sacked?
Blog: Ipswich Town and the Rotten Kitchen Cupboards

So the season starts in a month on 09:48 - Jul 4 with 2222 viewschicoazul

So at the moment our current team is something like;

Bart
Emmanuel
Chambers
Toto
Kenlock

Skuse
Downes
Bishop

Judge oh wait he's injured, Rowe then
Norwood
Edwards

[Post edited 4 Jul 2019 9:48]

So the season starts in a month on 09:48 - Jul 4 with 2215 viewsxrayspecs

So the season starts in a month on 09:45 - Jul 4 by WarkTheWarkITFC

You do realise that what you have just described is pretty much every League One club at this stage right?

They have predominantly small squads, topped up with youth players. They give out 1 and 2 year contracts because they can't afford to carry anyone. Their best players are frequently linked with moves away, some of whom would have had their contracts expired and their recruitment plans may rest with working out who they can keep hold of and who might move on.

Just look at the squads of every other club at this level and there are probably about 20 teams in the division with less players than us, not to mention far less quality.

I'd say Sunderland, Pompey and Peterborough are probably the only teams who have anything near as settled a squad as we have in terms of those likely to be involved next season. Every other team is still trying to bring players in.

We are also in the position of being one of the top teams and trying to attract the sort of players who may also be waiting to see if lower end Championship teams come in.

Perfect summary
So the season starts in a month on 09:48 - Jul 4 with 2217 viewsWarkTheWarkITFC

So the season starts in a month on 09:41 - Jul 4 by chicoazul

You've seen Kenlock and Emmanuel play right? I hope you're right and they come in and do really well but hoooooo boy.....
What I really mean about Bart is, clearly we want rid of him but seem to be stuck with him. Who is our wide cover? I'd consider Rowe and Edwards first team players, who else? Lankester is injured, El Miz is a kid.

You do realise we are in League One now.

The drop off in quality is immense. Kenlock looked good in 25% of his Championship games, okay in 25% and poor in 50%. In League One that makes him a pretty decent player most weeks.

Emmanuel is what you would call a solid League One full back. Donacien would be classed as the same.

They won't be the best full backs in the division and I'm sure we will look to upgrade, but they aren't going to be up against Mason Mount, Albert Adomah or Tom Lawrence. They'll be up against people like Danny Rowe!

Poll: How many points from 18 would Lambert need to have to actually be sacked?
Blog: Ipswich Town and the Rotten Kitchen Cupboards

So the season starts in a month on 09:50 - Jul 4 with 2199 viewsStokieBlue

Donacien should be given a chance at RB - doubt he will be though.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

So the season starts in a month on 09:50 - Jul 4 with 2200 viewsITFC_Forever

Lankester is fit again now. Bishop, Judge, Nolan and Nydam could all play there if needed.

Kenlock and Emmanuel should be ok for L1 (but no more than that).
Edit: And there's also Donacien.

Crux of the matter is, we are a L1 club now and we can't afford a) a big squad and b) any signings.
[Post edited 4 Jul 2019 9:50]

So the season starts in a month on 09:51 - Jul 4 with 2193 viewschicoazul

So the season starts in a month on 09:45 - Jul 4 by WarkTheWarkITFC

Every League One club has basically 14 first team players, half of whom are centre midfielders, 2 forwards 2 full backs and 2 centre halves? I think we should aim to do ever so slightly better than MK Dons' usual aspirations.

So the season starts in a month on 09:52 - Jul 4 with 2178 viewsITFC_Forever

So the season starts in a month on 09:39 - Jul 4 by Kieran_Knows

What options out wide do we have? Lankester? Edwards (hit and miss with regards to injuries) and Danny Rowe who has been either injured or out of favour under 3 different managers here?

Nolan, Nydam, Bishop and Judge can all play out wide, on top of Rowe, Lankester and Gwion.

So the season starts in a month on 09:52 - Jul 4 with 2178 viewschicoazul

So the season starts in a month on 09:50 - Jul 4 by StokieBlue

Donacien should be given a chance at RB - doubt he will be though.

SB

I saw Donacien play for Acc Stan on the telly last season. If he is our cover defender we got problems.

Donacien and Jackson are probably... on 09:52 - Jul 4 with 2174 viewsunstableblue

So the season starts in a month on 09:48 - Jul 4 by chicoazul

So at the moment our current team is something like;

Bart
Emmanuel
Chambers
Toto
Kenlock

Skuse
Downes
Bishop

Judge oh wait he's injured, Rowe then
Norwood
Edwards

[Post edited 4 Jul 2019 9:48]

Closer to the starting 11

Also Judge is an arm injury and hence will play pre-season

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

So the season starts in a month on 09:54 - Jul 4 with 2169 viewschicoazul

So the season starts in a month on 09:50 - Jul 4 by ITFC_Forever

Lankester is fit again now. Bishop, Judge, Nolan and Nydam could all play there if needed.

Kenlock and Emmanuel should be ok for L1 (but no more than that).
Edit: And there's also Donacien.

Crux of the matter is, we are a L1 club now and we can't afford a) a big squad and b) any signings.
[Post edited 4 Jul 2019 9:50]

Surely we can have 20 or so players with good experience though and cover for each position but especially defence? At the moment we have what 14, 15?

So the season starts in a month on 09:55 - Jul 4 with 2161 viewsNazemariner

I normally try and see the positives, but it's hard too disagree with anything you have said here.

We have without doubt downgraded the squad, and our best performers are on the wain. Let's just hope we aren't putting all our eggs in the Norwood basket?
So the season starts in a month on 09:57 - Jul 4 with 2143 viewschicoazul

So the season starts in a month on 09:52 - Jul 4 by ITFC_Forever

Nolan, Nydam, Bishop and Judge can all play out wide, on top of Rowe, Lankester and Gwion.

Judge is injured, Lankester has been injured and who knows what state he will be in, professional Damien Lewis lookalike Nolan is a half decent centre midfielder not a wide player and i'd describe Bishop as the same. Nydam couldnt get in a Scottish team last season. Maybe Lambert thinks Jackson can play out there and is hoping Nors Jackson Edwards Rowe are pretty interchangeable. lol, banter.

So the season starts in a month on 09:58 - Jul 4 with 2142 viewsNW10_Tractor

If we are looking at left backs, I'd consider Brandon Mason from Coventry. Loves getting forward, a good head for the LB position and full of energy...

Harlesden's Arrogantly Talented with the Skill Abilities And not a bad goalkeeper either....
Poll: How would you like Town to win the league

So the season starts in a month on 10:01 - Jul 4 with 2121 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Bart has no fitness issues to worry about.

We have Wolfenden in addition to the other two, with Donacian and Ndaba as further back up. I suspect we will get another body in.

I hope the club arent of the same nervous disposition that you are.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

So the season starts in a month on 10:02 - Jul 4 with 2123 viewschicoazul

So the season starts in a month on 09:58 - Jul 4 by NW10_Tractor

If we are looking at left backs, I'd consider Brandon Mason from Coventry. Loves getting forward, a good head for the LB position and full of energy...

I just dont understand why haven't signed a few defenders already when we clearly need some. Everyone keeps saying we are a big fish in this league, will have no problem attracting players etc.
We all know where a spirit of optimism got us this time last year. Horrible feeling about the Eternal Return theory here boyos.

So the season starts in a month on 10:09 - Jul 4 with 2068 viewsHerbivore

Everyone really is having a pant wetting contest and it's only 4 days into July. We will make a couple more additions I'm sure but the core of the squad is there. We have Woolfenden and Ndaba, who was on the bench for the first team last season, as CB cover. Donacien plays there too. If we have too many senior players it will block the youngsters, if we can't rely on Woolfie and Ndaba to o cover some games between them now when we're in League 1 then we may as well just do away with the idea of bringing youth through and bin off the academy.

I expect a full back to be added, again Donacien adds cover for now. It's also no great secret we're looking for another forward and potentially a wide option. Adding a few players a bit later in the window to a fairly established group of 23 or so is hardly going to be the end of days.

You all need to put your big boy (or girl) pants on and stop fretting. With no additions we have one of the best squads in League 1, with a couple of additions we will be well ready to challenge for promotion next season.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024