Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
You might want to sit down before reading this 13:24 - Jul 24 with 17027 viewsBrixtonBlue

I reckon Boris might be a good PM. My reasoning - my missus has a 'political' job (I won't say more than that) and has had dealings with Boris on many occasions when he was Mayor.

First thing to note - while he himself is an incompetent, he tends to surround himself with a very good team. They advise/make the decisions and he's just the public face.

He'll happily do anything that makes him look good, which means populist measures that everyone agrees would be good (i.e. a fair living wage, benefits for the elderly and disabled, etc.) are more likely to happen.

He's big on green issues (even if it's just to make himself look good) and would cycle everywhere, often being late for meetings because of it.

He's also a very good public speaker, which will be important as PM. She said he'd be given a rather dry brief on a subject, read through it scribbling unreadable (to everyone else) notes on it, then half an hour later be presenting it in a very witty, engaging way, without using any notes. This is actually his one skill, but he's very good at it.

When he talks about "let's get to work" he doesn't mean himself, he means his team. And if he carries on picking a good one it could work out.

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

You might want to sit down before reading this on 06:39 - Jul 8 with 1009 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

You might want to sit down before reading this on 20:21 - Jul 7 by Swailsey

Assuming this is an in joke between you both, otherwise this is very poor form.

Oh right, but it's ok for him to dig up a thread from 3 years ago to have a pop at me?

The flipping burgers at McDonalds is a long-running TWTD joke, not something between me and Sitters.

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

You might want to sit down before reading this on 06:47 - Jul 8 with 985 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

You might want to sit down before reading this on 16:47 - Jul 7 by N2_Blue

Nice, was having a friendly dig at you but if you want to call me (and others) thick, you go for it.

It's always about you isn't it. Looking for the one thing about where you can say you are right rather than holding your hands out and saying this was so far off the mark says everything about you and why you get into so many arguments on here...many of which cause you to run away off the board for a few weeks. Embarrassing.

"If you ever wonder why no one can take anything that comes out of your mouth (or keyboard) seriously, your OP might be a clue."

Oh yeah, what a friendly comment, as are the rest here.
No, you wanted to be part of the Dollers pile on.

It was a nothing comment, neither wrong or right. How can I be "so far off the mark" when I said he might be good if he surrounds himself with the right people (and then he doesn't)?!? I might be the best waterskier in the world if I quit my job, hire the best waterskier trainer and practice for the next couple of years. The implication in the word "might" (which I shouldn't have to spell out) is also 'might not'.

You might want to sit down before reading this on 07:30 - Jul 8 with 957 viewsGlasgowBlue

You might want to sit down before reading this on 06:47 - Jul 8 by The_Flashing_Smile

"If you ever wonder why no one can take anything that comes out of your mouth (or keyboard) seriously, your OP might be a clue."

Oh yeah, what a friendly comment, as are the rest here.
No, you wanted to be part of the Dollers pile on.

It was a nothing comment, neither wrong or right. How can I be "so far off the mark" when I said he might be good if he surrounds himself with the right people (and then he doesn't)?!? I might be the best waterskier in the world if I quit my job, hire the best waterskier trainer and practice for the next couple of years. The implication in the word "might" (which I shouldn't have to spell out) is also 'might not'.

He could have surrounded himself with King Solomon, Socrates, Aristotle, Alexander the great,Confucius and Albert bleeding’ Einstein and he’d have still beeen a corrupt, incompetent lying fraud.

There was never any “might be good” about him becoming Prime Minister.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

You might want to sit down before reading this on 07:49 - Jul 8 with 937 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

You might want to sit down before reading this on 07:30 - Jul 8 by GlasgowBlue

He could have surrounded himself with King Solomon, Socrates, Aristotle, Alexander the great,Confucius and Albert bleeding’ Einstein and he’d have still beeen a corrupt, incompetent lying fraud.

I know you think you've backed your point there, but you've actually backed mine. It wouldn't matter that he's incompetent lying fraud if he had that lot making the decisions.

You might want to sit down before reading this on 08:08 - Jul 8 with 932 viewsSwailsey

You might want to sit down before reading this on 06:39 - Jul 8 by The_Flashing_Smile

Oh right, but it's ok for him to dig up a thread from 3 years ago to have a pop at me?

The flipping burgers at McDonalds is a long-running TWTD joke, not something between me and Sitters.

The ’chubs’ comment bud.
[Post edited 8 Jul 2022 8:09]

Who said: "Colin Healy made Cesc Fabregas look like Colin Healy"? | We miss you TLA

You might want to sit down before reading this on 08:15 - Jul 8 with 915 viewsChurchman

You might want to sit down before reading this on 07:30 - Jul 8 by GlasgowBlue

I have to admit that when he took over, I hoped he might be ok. He is academically bright and an ideas sort of person. I knew he was lazy and had the attention span of a gnat, but thought he might employ good people to head up the work. At least he loved the country thought I. A rare and unfashionable thing.

I was wrong on most of that. Optimism over the blindingly obvious on my part. Your four word summary sums him up. There is no substance to him at all. Johnson’s loyalty extends only to himself. He loves himself, is arrogant, stupid and lacks judgement on an epic scale. Taking responsibility is something for others. He clearly has charisma, but soon generates distrust.

He is a waste of space. I’ve no doubt like Blair and Cameron he will trouser millions on lectures and publications. Not from me. Like the two above, there is nothing he has to say that interests me.
You might want to sit down before reading this on 09:35 - Jul 8 with 856 viewsDubtractor

Dollers, fella, I genuinely don't understand why you haven't just laughed at this and said that its not the best call you've ever made.

That's all it takes to kill this stone dead. Sometimes life isn't for taking seriously.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

You might want to sit down before reading this on 09:38 - Jul 8 with 848 viewsCotty

You might want to sit down before reading this on 09:35 - Jul 8 by Dubtractor

Dollers, fella, I genuinely don't understand why you haven't just laughed at this and said that its not the best call you've ever made.

That's all it takes to kill this stone dead. Sometimes life isn't for taking seriously.

Ironically he's taking the sort of stand that Johnson makes when he f***s up. Attacks and blames everyone else.
Login to get fewer ads

You might want to sit down before reading this on 09:59 - Jul 8 with 790 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

You might want to sit down before reading this on 08:08 - Jul 8 by Swailsey

The ’chubs’ comment bud.
[Post edited 8 Jul 2022 8:09]

I've answered that. "Oh right, but it's ok for him to dig up a thread from 3 years ago to have a pop at me?" That's ok is it, but my response isn't? Or is it actually the case that you've seen a pile-on and thought you'd get a bit of the action?

You might want to sit down before reading this on 09:59 - Jul 8 with 793 viewsthe_toff

Seems an innocuous enough OP. The title itself is 'you might want to sit down' and uses 'might' in reference to the prospects of the PM, so it was clearly contrarian and speculative at the time. To have it dragged up after 3 years, then the OP being called the baiter?!? Doesn't feel entirely reasonable.

Ironic that one of those (not you) so vehemently going to town on this was one who was banging the Brexit drum so loudly, and now, with no hint of irony, is questioning someone's political judgement.
You might want to sit down before reading this on 10:05 - Jul 8 with 762 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

I'm not taking things seriously despite how it might come across. But I didn't make a bad call. I said he might be a good PM if he gets good people around him. That's still true! I don't know what's so difficult to understand?! If I'd said he will make a good PM because he'll get good people around him, you all might have a point. I didn't though.

I swear some of you don't understand how the English language works.

You might want to sit down before reading this on 10:06 - Jul 8 with 759 viewsDubtractor

You might want to sit down before reading this on 09:59 - Jul 8 by the_toff

Seems an innocuous enough OP. The title itself is 'you might want to sit down' and uses 'might' in reference to the prospects of the PM, so it was clearly contrarian and speculative at the time. To have it dragged up after 3 years, then the OP being called the baiter?!? Doesn't feel entirely reasonable.

Ironic that one of those (not you) so vehemently going to town on this was one who was banging the Brexit drum so loudly, and now, with no hint of irony, is questioning someone's political judgement.

There was nothing offensive about the OP (from 3 years ago!), but it has proved to be a woefully bad prediction. Rather than try and defend the woefully bad prediction, I'd just hold my hand up admit it was miles off and laugh about it. That's all.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

You might want to sit down before reading this on 10:08 - Jul 8 with 748 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

You might want to sit down before reading this on 09:38 - Jul 8 by Cotty

Ironically he's taking the sort of stand that Johnson makes when he f***s up. Attacks and blames everyone else.

Erm, someone dragged this thread up from 3 years ago and I'm the person doing the attacking?! Righto.

You might want to sit down before reading this on 10:12 - Jul 8 with 740 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

You might want to sit down before reading this on 10:06 - Jul 8 by Dubtractor

There was nothing offensive about the OP (from 3 years ago!), but it has proved to be a woefully bad prediction. Rather than try and defend the woefully bad prediction, I'd just hold my hand up admit it was miles off and laugh about it. That's all.

It's not even a prediction FFS! When the IF part doesn't happen then the rest is null and void.

If I said I could be the greatest waterskier in the world if I hired the best trainer and practiced every day... but then didn't hire a trainer or practice, is that a prediction?!

You might want to sit down before reading this on 10:28 - Jul 8 with 709 viewsN2_Blue

Exactly!

Most people would laugh and go...'ah yeah i got that a bit wrong didn't i' but Dollers looks for any scrap to defend his post and make out how he is always right....every single post he's ever made where people disagree with him or point out he is wrong he does the same.

Poll: Is it now time to sack Paul Cook?

You might want to sit down before reading this on 11:03 - Jul 8 with 669 viewsGlasgowBlue

You might want to sit down before reading this on 09:59 - Jul 8 by The_Flashing_Smile

I've answered that. "Oh right, but it's ok for him to dig up a thread from 3 years ago to have a pop at me?" That's ok is it, but my response isn't? Or is it actually the case that you've seen a pile-on and thought you'd get a bit of the action?

So it's ok to body shame somebody because they linked a slightly embarrassing post that most people would have laughed off?

Heck, if you drag up one of my old threads proclaiming Roy Keane as the savior of ITFC, I certainly wouldn't dream of throwing a hissy fit and insulting your physical features.

Iron Lion Zion

You might want to sit down before reading this on 11:09 - Jul 8 with 650 viewsfabian_illness

Not quite MonyTowbray, but a good solid second place.
You might want to sit down before reading this on 11:12 - Jul 8 with 637 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

You might want to sit down before reading this on 10:28 - Jul 8 by N2_Blue

Exactly!

Most people would laugh and go...'ah yeah i got that a bit wrong didn't i' but Dollers looks for any scrap to defend his post and make out how he is always right....every single post he's ever made where people disagree with him or point out he is wrong he does the same.

Look at you being all friendly again.

You might want to sit down before reading this on 11:14 - Jul 8 with 614 viewsSwailsey

You might want to sit down before reading this on 09:59 - Jul 8 by The_Flashing_Smile

Nope, it’s that you shouldn’t bring physical comments into it. Your inability to read the room is so lovely.

Who said: "Colin Healy made Cesc Fabregas look like Colin Healy"? | We miss you TLA

You might want to sit down before reading this on 11:18 - Jul 8 with 597 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

You might want to sit down before reading this on 11:03 - Jul 8 by GlasgowBlue

So it's ok to body shame somebody because they linked a slightly embarrassing post that most people would have laughed off?

Heck, if you drag up one of my old threads proclaiming Roy Keane as the savior of ITFC, I certainly wouldn't dream of throwing a hissy fit and insulting your physical features.

Get off your high horse. As if you give a sh!t about sitter's feelings. You started a pile-on and now you're loving it, this faux indignation is just more ammo.

Also, I wouldn't search back years to find a thread you made about Roy Keane - because I have a life.

You might want to sit down before reading this on 11:39 - Jul 8 with 575 viewsGlasgowBlue

You might want to sit down before reading this on 11:18 - Jul 8 by The_Flashing_Smile

Get off your high horse. As if you give a sh!t about sitter's feelings. You started a pile-on and now you're loving it, this faux indignation is just more ammo.

Also, I wouldn't search back years to find a thread you made about Roy Keane - because I have a life.

How did I start a pile on FFS. I only contributed to this thread this morning.

My first contribution was: 'He could have surrounded himself with King Solomon, Socrates, Aristotle, Alexander the great,Confucius and Albert bleeding’ Einstein and he’d have still beeen a corrupt, incompetent lying fraud.

There was never any “might be good” about him becoming Prime Minister'.

How is that starting a pile on?

Iron Lion Zion

You might want to sit down before reading this on 11:42 - Jul 8 with 564 viewsBogblue

You might want to sit down before reading this on 10:12 - Jul 8 by The_Flashing_Smile

It's not even a prediction FFS! When the IF part doesn't happen then the rest is null and void.

If I said I could be the greatest waterskier in the world if I hired the best trainer and practiced every day... but then didn't hire a trainer or practice, is that a prediction?!

Your whole OP 'might' premise, based on the anecdotal evidence of your partner, was and is flawed when you look at the evidence of Johnson's record as Mayor of London

The abandoned Garden Bridge scheme already showed that his backing of the French contractors and preparedness to water down conditions that had to be met prior to releasing more public funds, topped by him saying he couldn't remember why he did that when questioned in the ensuing enquiry, shows even back then that he was prepared to lie, waste millions on a vanity project and ignore his advisors. Like Glassers said, corrupt chancers will always override good advisers when it's in their interests to do so.

His record overall while he was MOL wasn't that great either

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2019/feb/13/garden-bridge-charity-spent-535m

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/jun/12/was-boris-johnson-as-successful
You might want to sit down before reading this on 11:43 - Jul 8 with 561 viewsTrequartista

His public speaking without notes is dreadful, you surely have to concede you were mistaken there?

Poll: Who do you blame for our failure to progress?

You might want to sit down before reading this on 11:48 - Jul 8 with 539 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

You might want to sit down before reading this on 11:42 - Jul 8 by Bogblue

Your whole OP 'might' premise, based on the anecdotal evidence of your partner, was and is flawed when you look at the evidence of Johnson's record as Mayor of London

The abandoned Garden Bridge scheme already showed that his backing of the French contractors and preparedness to water down conditions that had to be met prior to releasing more public funds, topped by him saying he couldn't remember why he did that when questioned in the ensuing enquiry, shows even back then that he was prepared to lie, waste millions on a vanity project and ignore his advisors. Like Glassers said, corrupt chancers will always override good advisers when it's in their interests to do so.

His record overall while he was MOL wasn't that great either

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2019/feb/13/garden-bridge-charity-spent-535m

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/jun/12/was-boris-johnson-as-successful

I didn't say he had a perfect record. I said he (or rather the people who actually do the work) did some things right.

You might want to sit down before reading this on 11:54 - Jul 8 with 529 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

You might want to sit down before reading this on 11:39 - Jul 8 by GlasgowBlue

How did I start a pile on FFS. I only contributed to this thread this morning.

My first contribution was: 'He could have surrounded himself with King Solomon, Socrates, Aristotle, Alexander the great,Confucius and Albert bleeding’ Einstein and he’d have still beeen a corrupt, incompetent lying fraud.

There was never any “might be good” about him becoming Prime Minister'.

How is that starting a pile on?

"How did I start a pile on FFS"

"I remembered the thread... I remembered his previous username... I googled Brixton Blue Boris Johnson Prime Minister... I linked the thread on my reply..."

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024