Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Return of NFL 16:49 - Sep 2 with 6564 viewsJ2BLUE

Are we excited then people? Thank god it's back, and on an international week as well it's even better. Anyone staying up Thursday to watch it?

Feel feel to post your usual Facters but I won't respond

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Return of NFL on 20:05 - Sep 2 with 1348 viewswkj

Return of NFL on 20:03 - Sep 2 by SpruceMoose

Don't forget the random tribute during the seventh inning stretch to some old guy who was forced to kill some kids in Vietnam.
[Post edited 2 Sep 2019 20:04]

Seems to be at every sporting event, I wonder if it is the same guy or a secret society that sets it up

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Return of NFL on 20:06 - Sep 2 with 1341 viewsfooters

No, we are not.

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Return of NFL on 20:13 - Sep 2 with 1322 viewsJ2BLUE

Return of NFL on 19:56 - Sep 2 by wkj

Point of fact, you mention in the OP you wont reply to the type of post that facters would come up with, so far ignored replying to all posts engaging in the OP itself, whilst opting to only respond to the most "not in the spirit of the post" replies... very strange

Facters just posts the same thing every time. If anyone has an actual issue with NFL and can tell me why then i'll happily respond. Especially to people who live in the US and will have a better grasp of the situation than I will.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Return of NFL on 20:23 - Sep 2 with 1304 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Return of NFL on 17:31 - Sep 2 by judespiveyg

Early prediction: Cowboys-Patriots Super Bowl. Most well rounded rosters in each conference.

Bears (nasty schedule) and Eagles (Once Wentz gets hurt) to flop.

Cousins and Prescott to have comeback seasons. Brees and Trubisky to take step back.

I’d quite like to laugh at that Cowboys shout, but tend to agree so long as they get the Zeke situation sorted. That said the Saints and the Rams will take some stopping still, and if they do manager it I think it could be in spite of Dak rather than because of him

I would also say this will be the year it goes wrong for the Pats but I’ve been saying that for some time too! Think this may be the year the Chiefs get over the hump though

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Return of NFL on 20:25 - Sep 2 with 1300 viewsMoriarty

I think Darnold, the Jets quarterback, might become an interesting story this year.

I had an offer of a free ticket to Super Bowl XLVIII. Couldn’t make it then but if the offer ever repeats, I’d be there in a heartbeat.

fka omuircheartaigh

Return of NFL on 20:26 - Sep 2 with 1299 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

I am as always although have very much resigned myself that the Packers will be nowhere close. Reality is that if you strip away Rodgers we’re a bad team, quite frankly

Roll on Thursday though, college starting this weekend has very much whet my appetite

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Return of NFL on 20:33 - Sep 2 with 1289 viewsChurchman

I happen to enjoy the NFL. I started watching it in the 1980s on the 1 hour highlights show with Nicky Horne and the Super Bowl all night once a year with friends and beer. I’ve been to Wembley a couple of times and am going again this year and will watch games/bits of games this year as always.

It is not always an easy watch with all the breaks and the last two minutes can take half an hour or more. But I do enjoy it. I see it as basically a form of chess with people. I also got into Baseball after seeing it and going to a game in America. The feel reminded me a bit of cricket. Ice Hockey is fun too, but I don’t get Basketball at all.

Despite wearing the shirts, and ‘hootin and a hollerin’ on Super Bowl week (I usually ski in the US at that time so settle down in a bar to watch it), there appears to be little tribalism or intensity as we see in football here. It’s more of an event to them. I intend to go to an NFL game in America one day to see if the theory is true - preferably at a well supported franchise such as Washington.

Each to their own!
Return of NFL on 20:38 - Sep 2 with 1281 viewsSpruceMoose

Return of NFL on 20:33 - Sep 2 by Churchman

I happen to enjoy the NFL. I started watching it in the 1980s on the 1 hour highlights show with Nicky Horne and the Super Bowl all night once a year with friends and beer. I’ve been to Wembley a couple of times and am going again this year and will watch games/bits of games this year as always.

It is not always an easy watch with all the breaks and the last two minutes can take half an hour or more. But I do enjoy it. I see it as basically a form of chess with people. I also got into Baseball after seeing it and going to a game in America. The feel reminded me a bit of cricket. Ice Hockey is fun too, but I don’t get Basketball at all.

Despite wearing the shirts, and ‘hootin and a hollerin’ on Super Bowl week (I usually ski in the US at that time so settle down in a bar to watch it), there appears to be little tribalism or intensity as we see in football here. It’s more of an event to them. I intend to go to an NFL game in America one day to see if the theory is true - preferably at a well supported franchise such as Washington.

Each to their own!

You've just reminded me of all the racist team names and iconography in American sports. What's that all about!?

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Login to get fewer ads

Return of NFL on 20:39 - Sep 2 with 1278 viewsbrogansnose

Not expecting anything from the 49'ers, I follow them for family reasons, but also look out for Detroit. Frankly, I can't get too deeply in with the sport on a passion level which I like as I enjoy being quite neutral and loving the games for games sake, if that makes any sense. Oddly enough, the boy gets really wound up when things don't go well for his team, the Vikings.
Return of NFL on 20:50 - Sep 2 with 1269 viewsBlueForYou

I went to the Steelers v Vikings Wembley game, good game that one! & a few others which haven’t been so good. But as a huge Denver fan, it’s never the same when your team are’nt playing. I follow every second intensely when it’s the Broncos, but not very confident about our prospects. Hope I’m wrong. If you can get a connection to one of the teams, following NFL is a whole lot more interesting & intense.
Return of NFL on 21:16 - Sep 2 with 1244 viewsChurchman

Return of NFL on 20:38 - Sep 2 by SpruceMoose

You've just reminded me of all the racist team names and iconography in American sports. What's that all about!?

If you mean the Redskins, they’ve had that debate about that in the US for years. It’s an old name and I doubt there was any rascist connotations when it was first used but I also doubt it’ll remain their name forever.

Chicago have the Blackhawks ice hockey team, but that’s just a name of a tribe so I don’t see anything in that. With the exception of the KC Chiefs, rest of the NFL names are mostly birds and animals plus Saints, Cowboys, Packers, Giants, Vikings, Patriots, gold rush miners etc.
Return of NFL on 21:19 - Sep 2 with 1240 viewsChurchman

Return of NFL on 20:50 - Sep 2 by BlueForYou

I went to the Steelers v Vikings Wembley game, good game that one! & a few others which haven’t been so good. But as a huge Denver fan, it’s never the same when your team are’nt playing. I follow every second intensely when it’s the Broncos, but not very confident about our prospects. Hope I’m wrong. If you can get a connection to one of the teams, following NFL is a whole lot more interesting & intense.

Bears for me - since the early 80s and before the 85 Super Bowl winning ‘monsters of the midway’. Shame they’ve been rubbish for most of the last 30 years😃

I saw the Bengals Redskins game a few years ago and it was unusually a draw..
Return of NFL on 21:32 - Sep 2 with 1225 viewsBlueastheycome

My team the Bills are looking primed for a good season ahead.

They play in blue in an unfashionable part of upstate New York and at the time the last time they had made the play offs was the season we did under Burley- so that was my logical thinking behind it and I haven't looked back since!

Also, the fact they have never won a Super Bowl means that's gonna mean something when that finally (if) it happens.

Went to see the Giants vs Texans over Christmas and that was a helluva experience. Will deffo find a way to go see the Bills within the next 5 years I hope!
[Post edited 2 Sep 2019 21:34]
Return of NFL on 22:15 - Sep 2 with 1200 viewsjudespiveyg

Return of NFL on 20:23 - Sep 2 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

I’d quite like to laugh at that Cowboys shout, but tend to agree so long as they get the Zeke situation sorted. That said the Saints and the Rams will take some stopping still, and if they do manager it I think it could be in spite of Dak rather than because of him

I would also say this will be the year it goes wrong for the Pats but I’ve been saying that for some time too! Think this may be the year the Chiefs get over the hump though

I still wouldn't bet against the Patriots, they just refuse to stop being good. The Cowboys are more of a punt but I just fancy them to finally win more than one playoff game.

I survived Ipswich 0-0 Burton

Return of NFL on 00:39 - Sep 3 with 1154 viewsbritbiker

Cant wait. Will be locked in from 6 pm every Sunday until 2 am Monday morning.
Raiders should be on the start of their comeback. No doubt the Jags will let me down and implode as usual despite having a decent defence.

Got a feeling that this could finally be the year for the Browns to shine. Loads of good draft picks over the last few seasons.
Return of NFL on 01:25 - Sep 3 with 1147 viewsfloridablue

16 years here in Florida and i'm finally getting to understand and appreciate american football. i've managed to visit 4 stadiums following my partners Vikings and now i've an interest in my 'local' Tampa bay buccs team. Great stadium to be at on a warm sunny winters day!
Return of NFL on 01:58 - Sep 3 with 1141 viewsconnorscontract

Return of NFL on 19:48 - Sep 2 by BlueBadger

Interesting that you choose to mention all the flames and young ladies and helicopters and not the slowed-down rugby match that you're nominally attending for. Almost as if it's a bit rubbish and needs jazzing up with a load of other stuff to make it worth going.

I was responding to your jibe about it being a "sports entertainment experience" by saying "yes, but actually that bit is so over-the-top, and so different to anything you'd experience in British sports, that it's worth experiencing".

I like the game a lot. I watch it a lot on tv. There's a lot of skill, strength, stamina, speed and athleticism on display. And loads of scheming, brains, and thinking on their feet. Loads of trying to second guess what the opposition are trying to do. Defenses which try to take the initiative from the Offense. Field position and time remaining being factors in strategy as well as the score. It's hugely complex.

And the crowd as 12th Man is a huge part of the game, too.

And when you go to Wembley you have the added dynamic of there being 80,000 NFL fans from all over Europe (not just Britain) who make the trip wearing their teams jerseys, so it's very much a celebration of something bigger, and of internationalism. Which makes it quite a contrast to Brexit, Little Englandism and the division and tribalism being played out in every sphere here.
Return of NFL on 02:35 - Sep 3 with 1138 viewsSpruceMoose

Return of NFL on 01:58 - Sep 3 by connorscontract

I was responding to your jibe about it being a "sports entertainment experience" by saying "yes, but actually that bit is so over-the-top, and so different to anything you'd experience in British sports, that it's worth experiencing".

I like the game a lot. I watch it a lot on tv. There's a lot of skill, strength, stamina, speed and athleticism on display. And loads of scheming, brains, and thinking on their feet. Loads of trying to second guess what the opposition are trying to do. Defenses which try to take the initiative from the Offense. Field position and time remaining being factors in strategy as well as the score. It's hugely complex.

And the crowd as 12th Man is a huge part of the game, too.

And when you go to Wembley you have the added dynamic of there being 80,000 NFL fans from all over Europe (not just Britain) who make the trip wearing their teams jerseys, so it's very much a celebration of something bigger, and of internationalism. Which makes it quite a contrast to Brexit, Little Englandism and the division and tribalism being played out in every sphere here.

Of course, if you were to ask the likes of Colin Kaepernick if he agrees with your last paragraph you might get a different point of view.

This is what I mean. Watching the odd game on tv or in London doesn't remotely give you any insight into the truth of the game as it exists in America. What you get in the UK is a type cultural propaganda, and exercise in branding. But don't be fooled, NFL in the US is definitely linked to nationalism, patriotism and a form of American Exceptionalism (all Brexity type things).

I'm not saying that people shouldn't watch or enjoy it. Just that it's important to appreciate that it's a game with issues that'll need to be addressed in order to flourish in the future. Three of which are listed here:

https://www.surveymonkey.com/curiosity/why-nfls-tv-ratings-declining/
[Post edited 3 Sep 2019 2:44]

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."

Return of NFL on 07:41 - Sep 3 with 1086 viewsChurchman

Return of NFL on 02:35 - Sep 3 by SpruceMoose

Of course, if you were to ask the likes of Colin Kaepernick if he agrees with your last paragraph you might get a different point of view.

This is what I mean. Watching the odd game on tv or in London doesn't remotely give you any insight into the truth of the game as it exists in America. What you get in the UK is a type cultural propaganda, and exercise in branding. But don't be fooled, NFL in the US is definitely linked to nationalism, patriotism and a form of American Exceptionalism (all Brexity type things).

I'm not saying that people shouldn't watch or enjoy it. Just that it's important to appreciate that it's a game with issues that'll need to be addressed in order to flourish in the future. Three of which are listed here:

https://www.surveymonkey.com/curiosity/why-nfls-tv-ratings-declining/
[Post edited 3 Sep 2019 2:44]

So what exactly is ‘the truth of the game as it exists in America’?
Return of NFL on 11:30 - Sep 3 with 1040 viewsSpruceMoose

Return of NFL on 07:41 - Sep 3 by Churchman

So what exactly is ‘the truth of the game as it exists in America’?

Haven't you read any of my posts?

There are massive racism issues, massive health issues (which are only going to grow more severe over the next few decades), the game is being used as a political football (if you pardon the pun) all while viewing numbers are already declining. Even on a college level there are growing concerns with how some colleges treat their players like celebrities, earn a fortune from them, but pay the players nothing.

Put it this way, if football in England had half the issues there would be a complete meltdown. Like I said though, I'm not saying don't watch and enjoy, but there are issues the game needs to overcome and have discussed.

Return of NFL on 12:19 - Sep 3 with 1024 viewsMoriarty

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.forbes.com/sites/maurybrown/2019/01/07/how-the-

fka omuircheartaigh

Return of NFL on 12:52 - Sep 3 with 1010 viewsChurchman

Return of NFL on 11:30 - Sep 3 by SpruceMoose

Haven't you read any of my posts?

There are massive racism issues, massive health issues (which are only going to grow more severe over the next few decades), the game is being used as a political football (if you pardon the pun) all while viewing numbers are already declining. Even on a college level there are growing concerns with how some colleges treat their players like celebrities, earn a fortune from them, but pay the players nothing.

Put it this way, if football in England had half the issues there would be a complete meltdown. Like I said though, I'm not saying don't watch and enjoy, but there are issues the game needs to overcome and have discussed.

I don’t think a simple question warranted a rude response, but never mind.

You clearly do not like the NFL and that’s you prerogative. As it goes, UK football is not immune from racism any more than society is. The same applies in the US - to a horrendous level still in some parts. Health issues will concern many sports as more about the dangers are known and cared about. Drugs in athletics, rugby players, cricket helmets etc. NFL is played by huge people and steroids/recreational drugs have been a problem for years, not least because if you are not massive you will get smashed to bits. These problems also present themselves in other sports too in various ways. The NFL is not alone. Kids being taken advantage in all walks of life is hardly a new thing either, especially when they’re chasing a dream. It is not right but again it’s not unique to NFL.

Issues? Football in this country is geared towards the big clubs getting richer and the rest going to the wall. Only the top few clubs in the UK are solvent businesses. It is structured to be uncompetitive. In the NFLs defence, the poorest performing franchises get first pick of the college kids in the draft. Like other aspects of America there are checks and balances and constant change, often for the better. Heck, the Cleveland Browns might even have a winning season this year!

There is a lot I don’t like about American sport including the NFL, but regardless of how you feel about it, millions enjoy it to a greater or lesser extent, whether it’s actually going to games or having it on in the background or on a tv in a bar. Most people I’ve met who watch either don’t see the evils you do or don’t care. They just watch a game, enjoy their mates’ company, chill out while it’s on.
Return of NFL on 13:06 - Sep 3 with 995 viewsSpruceMoose

Return of NFL on 12:52 - Sep 3 by Churchman

I don’t think a simple question warranted a rude response, but never mind.

You clearly do not like the NFL and that’s you prerogative. As it goes, UK football is not immune from racism any more than society is. The same applies in the US - to a horrendous level still in some parts. Health issues will concern many sports as more about the dangers are known and cared about. Drugs in athletics, rugby players, cricket helmets etc. NFL is played by huge people and steroids/recreational drugs have been a problem for years, not least because if you are not massive you will get smashed to bits. These problems also present themselves in other sports too in various ways. The NFL is not alone. Kids being taken advantage in all walks of life is hardly a new thing either, especially when they’re chasing a dream. It is not right but again it’s not unique to NFL.

Issues? Football in this country is geared towards the big clubs getting richer and the rest going to the wall. Only the top few clubs in the UK are solvent businesses. It is structured to be uncompetitive. In the NFLs defence, the poorest performing franchises get first pick of the college kids in the draft. Like other aspects of America there are checks and balances and constant change, often for the better. Heck, the Cleveland Browns might even have a winning season this year!

There is a lot I don’t like about American sport including the NFL, but regardless of how you feel about it, millions enjoy it to a greater or lesser extent, whether it’s actually going to games or having it on in the background or on a tv in a bar. Most people I’ve met who watch either don’t see the evils you do or don’t care. They just watch a game, enjoy their mates’ company, chill out while it’s on.

I don't know why you're being so defensive. Maybe it's because you're not actually reading my posts.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024