Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Our politics is broken part 27898767 08:20 - Sep 9 with 10990 viewsGlasgowBlue

Over the weekend we’ve had Amber Rudd quit the Conservatives because it is morphing into the Brexit party. If the Tory party doesn’t have a home for Ken Clarke, Rory Stewart, Nicholas Soames or Amber Rudd but is in the thrall of the ERG then they may as well give the keys to Nigel Farage and be done with it.

Slipping slightly under the radar this weekend we also saw veteran Labour MP John Mann quit the Labour Party because of antisemitism, accusing Corbyn of not only being “an” enabler of antisemitism in the country but “the enabler.

And momentum have deselected backbencher of the year, Diana Johnson, and believe it or not have started proceedings to deselect Kier Starmer of all people.

And then we have both Jo Swinson and Layla Moran from the Lib Dem’s saying that they want a second referendum but if leave win agains they will ignore the result.

Who the hell is a centrist voter who respects democracy expected to vote for?

[Post edited 9 Sep 2019 8:30]

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Our politics is broken part 27898767 on 09:50 - Sep 9 with 3831 viewswkj

Our politics is broken part 27898767 on 09:46 - Sep 9 by GlasgowBlue

I’m sorry but I have to respectfully disagree. I don’t believe there is the remotest possibility that being Islamophobic would help you advance into the cabinet anymore than I do that being antisemitic would help you advance in the shadow cabinet.

I don’t believe for one minute that either comes into the head of Johnson or Corbyn when selecting those for positions in their respective front benches.

Expressing a counter point rather than trying to denounce someone else for expressing their own, that is a much (edit) improved level of(/edit) discourse on your part, well done.
[Post edited 9 Sep 2019 9:53]

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Our politics is broken part 27898767 on 10:08 - Sep 9 with 3800 viewsGlasgowBlue

Our politics is broken part 27898767 on 09:50 - Sep 9 by wkj

Expressing a counter point rather than trying to denounce someone else for expressing their own, that is a much (edit) improved level of(/edit) discourse on your part, well done.
[Post edited 9 Sep 2019 9:53]

Oh well we shall have to agree to disagree. That will save a few pages.

Iron Lion Zion

Our politics is broken part 27898767 on 10:10 - Sep 9 with 3788 viewswkj

Our politics is broken part 27898767 on 10:08 - Sep 9 by GlasgowBlue

Oh well we shall have to agree to disagree. That will save a few pages.

In that case I am sorry to hear that you don't feel that your level of discourse is improving.

Crybaby

Our politics is broken part 27898767 on 10:11 - Sep 9 with 3789 viewsSwansea_Blue

The answer is clear to anyone willing to take their blinkers off...

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Our politics is broken part 27898767 on 10:14 - Sep 9 with 3784 viewswkj

Our politics is broken part 27898767 on 10:11 - Sep 9 by Swansea_Blue

The answer is clear to anyone willing to take their blinkers off...

I was talking to a fellow investor the other day about how all of a sudden, Lord Buckethead actually comes across as a sensible politician.

Crybaby

Our politics is broken part 27898767 on 10:22 - Sep 9 with 3760 viewsNo9

Our politics is broken part 27898767 on 09:25 - Sep 9 by EdwardStone

The central problem being the irreconcilable conflict between trying to govern by referendums when we live in a representative democracy.....

Listening to elderly two pro leavers having a good old grumble about the state of the nation at a classic car event yesterday, I think that there is an arguable case for removing the franchise from the over 70s unless they can show reasonable cognitive process; you know, a bit like taking their driving licence away

As an over 70 I am truly concerned at the lack of political awareness of many people younger than me. At least I had a basic politics education to make me aware of what the political parties were supposed to stand for. That means I can see the changes in the positions political parties take now.
Our politics is broken part 27898767 on 10:32 - Sep 9 with 3737 viewswkj

Our politics is broken part 27898767 on 10:22 - Sep 9 by No9

As an over 70 I am truly concerned at the lack of political awareness of many people younger than me. At least I had a basic politics education to make me aware of what the political parties were supposed to stand for. That means I can see the changes in the positions political parties take now.

How is education supposed to help young people understand what a political party stands for when the political parties themselves are struggling to understand what they stand for.

Crybaby

Our politics is broken part 27898767 on 10:41 - Sep 9 with 3726 viewsRadlett_blue

Yes and some want the voting age reduced to 16.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Login to get fewer ads

Our politics is broken part 27898767 on 10:47 - Sep 9 with 3715 viewsgiant_stow

I think you're putting the political ignorance label on the wrong demographic - there are plenty of know-nothings in the older generation, probably solely* reading the Express, Mail or Telegraph. Likewise, there are many clued up politically engaged youngsters.

*Edit for clarity
[Post edited 9 Sep 2019 10:55]

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Our politics is broken part 27898767 on 10:51 - Sep 9 with 3704 viewsGlasgowBlue

Our two main political parties are not fit for the 21st century.

We have the Tories longing for the 1950’s and Labour stuck in the 1970’s.

Iron Lion Zion

Our politics is broken part 27898767 on 10:52 - Sep 9 with 3702 viewsWeWereZombies

Our politics is broken part 27898767 on 09:25 - Sep 9 by EdwardStone

The central problem being the irreconcilable conflict between trying to govern by referendums when we live in a representative democracy.....

Listening to elderly two pro leavers having a good old grumble about the state of the nation at a classic car event yesterday, I think that there is an arguable case for removing the franchise from the over 70s unless they can show reasonable cognitive process; you know, a bit like taking their driving licence away

But didn't you say to them 'A river runs through you and me, never reaches the ocean, never reaches the sea'?

And then spend half an hour explaining to them that we are all connected by the forces of nature and that some processes never turn out as we expected, hoped for or to our advantage whilst they summoned the bus conductor and asked to have you thrown off the bus.

Not that it happened to me.

But it could...

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Our politics is broken part 27898767 on 11:02 - Sep 9 with 3683 viewsEdwardStone

Our politics is broken part 27898767 on 10:52 - Sep 9 by WeWereZombies

But didn't you say to them 'A river runs through you and me, never reaches the ocean, never reaches the sea'?

And then spend half an hour explaining to them that we are all connected by the forces of nature and that some processes never turn out as we expected, hoped for or to our advantage whilst they summoned the bus conductor and asked to have you thrown off the bus.

Not that it happened to me.

But it could...

Top marks for quoting a line from Oysterband Mr Whisky Whisky Zulu

I saw Oysters at Towersey a couple of weekends ago, they were immense as usual

I didn't intervene with the two remainers chuntering on...it seemed rude. And they seemed way beyond any reasoning, I had spoken to one of them earlier about crankshaft bearing run-out and Boris Johnson. To be fair, he seemed pretty knowledgeable about bearings

The pair of them were happy as can be, they had each found a kindred spirit...it was like the Daily Mail had come to life in a small field in Gloucestershire
Our politics is broken part 27898767 on 12:55 - Sep 9 with 3625 viewsClapham_Junction

Just to correct the OP, Diana Johnson has not been deselected. She may have to face an Open Selection vote in her CLP, but she will automatically appear on the ballot.
[Post edited 9 Sep 2019 13:09]
Our politics is broken part 27898767 on 14:32 - Sep 9 with 3564 viewsBrixtonBlue

Why has John Mann only quit now? The antisemitism issue has been going on for AGES. Indeed if you're going to leave it this late to quit, why not wait for the conclusion of the EHRC investigation?

Might it be because an election is around the corner and his resignation is politically motivated rather than morally?

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Our politics is broken part 27898767 on 14:37 - Sep 9 with 3553 viewsDarth_Koont

Our politics is broken part 27898767 on 14:32 - Sep 9 by BrixtonBlue

Why has John Mann only quit now? The antisemitism issue has been going on for AGES. Indeed if you're going to leave it this late to quit, why not wait for the conclusion of the EHRC investigation?

Might it be because an election is around the corner and his resignation is politically motivated rather than morally?

Mann has been against Corbyn from day one on a range of issues, not just Israel/Palestine and antisemitism.

But as someone who has said anti-Israel is antisemitic (!!), he'll almost certainly be leading the charge in the inevitable election campaign to demonize Corbyn.

Pronouns: He/Him

Our politics is broken part 27898767 on 14:42 - Sep 9 with 3543 viewsDarth_Koont

Our politics is broken part 27898767 on 10:51 - Sep 9 by GlasgowBlue

Our two main political parties are not fit for the 21st century.

We have the Tories longing for the 1950’s and Labour stuck in the 1970’s.

The narrative is that Labour is stuck in the 1970s ...

In actual fact, socially aware and just policies would help bring us up to the level of our closest and most forward-thinking neighbours. And healing the huge social, political and economic divisions that have been allowed to be created over the past few decades.

Pronouns: He/Him

Our politics is broken part 27898767 on 15:05 - Sep 9 with 3515 viewsgiant_stow

Our politics is broken part 27898767 on 14:32 - Sep 9 by BrixtonBlue

Think I saw something about how the left wing of the labour party is looking to speed through de-selections in case of an election, with him being target no1

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Our politics is broken part 27898767 on 15:16 - Sep 9 with 3498 viewsJ2BLUE

Ad yet if you suggest not voting is a viable option some people start banging on about how you have to vote. Absolute stupidity. If there was an election tomorrow I wouldn't be voting.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Our politics is broken part 27898767 on 15:21 - Sep 9 with 3487 viewsfooters

Our politics is broken part 27898767 on 15:16 - Sep 9 by J2BLUE

Ad yet if you suggest not voting is a viable option some people start banging on about how you have to vote. Absolute stupidity. If there was an election tomorrow I wouldn't be voting.

I honestly think there should be a box for abstention. It would be much better than people simply spoiling their ballots, which can often be simple mistakes rather than clear protest votes.

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Our politics is broken part 27898767 on 15:25 - Sep 9 with 3476 viewsJ2BLUE

Our politics is broken part 27898767 on 15:21 - Sep 9 by footers

I honestly think there should be a box for abstention. It would be much better than people simply spoiling their ballots, which can often be simple mistakes rather than clear protest votes.

Agree. Can't even draw a cock these days without it being counted as a vote for Boris.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Our politics is broken part 27898767 on 15:26 - Sep 9 with 3476 viewsStokieBlue

Our politics is broken part 27898767 on 15:21 - Sep 9 by footers

Is abstention spelled "footers" on said ballot papers?

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Our politics is broken part 27898767 on 15:29 - Sep 9 with 3470 viewsfooters

Our politics is broken part 27898767 on 15:26 - Sep 9 by StokieBlue

Is abstention spelled "footers" on said ballot papers?

SB

I think you'll find I'm the fresh young face that this country needs right now. Keep telling people this but no one seems to be listening.

Come on, guys- give it a go. What's the worst that could happen?

Our politics is broken part 27898767 on 15:33 - Sep 9 with 3452 viewswkj

Our politics is broken part 27898767 on 15:29 - Sep 9 by footers

I think you'll find I'm the fresh young face that this country needs right now. Keep telling people this but no one seems to be listening.

Come on, guys- give it a go. What's the worst that could happen?

Oh I don't know, ending up with a hard extremist who will end the careers of anyone that gets in his way or disagrees with him (or her). We're not ready for that level of childish games in UK politics

Crybaby

Our politics is broken part 27898767 on 15:41 - Sep 9 with 3443 viewsActionMan

Our voters are broken, the politics just reflects our society. When the majority of political activists do their so called high level debate by "schooling" people on Twitter or when people see political news they don't like decide an Ipswich Town forum is the best place to air their views then what chance does real change have. None.

People are conditioned to vote for the same thing minus a few small variables in blue, red and yellow rosettes and then wonder why those same parties, people and politics end up causing the same disastrous results. Why the f'k is someone like Ken Clarke still a factor in politics, causing the same self interested chaos and disruption he has for god knows how many years while profiting from peoples misery in his own private business interests and then acts as if he's morally superior to anyone over his pro-EU stance. He's a tool, John Major was a tool, Thatcher was outright mad, Blair an evil piece of sh7t, Brown a toadie that got what he deserved, Cameron and aristocratic half witted coward, May the worst of them all and now Boris Johnson, by virtue he was the least rubbish out of an entire collection of sh7t that is the current crop of Tory MP's.

If you want change, get off the internet, join a party, or form your own, knock on some doors, challenge your MP's, do some street stalls. But you won't you'll keep voting for the same parties, and complaining about their dire performance form the other side of a phone screen. None of your beloved politicians care, they are doing their job to earn money, not to change anything, as proven over the last 35 years in this country and what a complete f'up your beloved blues, reds and yellows have made of it.
Our politics is broken part 27898767 on 15:41 - Sep 9 with 3439 viewsfooters

Our politics is broken part 27898767 on 15:33 - Sep 9 by wkj

Oh I don't know, ending up with a hard extremist who will end the careers of anyone that gets in his way or disagrees with him (or her). We're not ready for that level of childish games in UK politics

I'm only extreme if you disagree with me.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024